IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Runcible Spoon... then Starbucks?

After reading about the Spoon I am hungry.

IMO... DB tweeting about eating there would not be a big thing. That may be his favorite place to eat while in Bloomington.

I'm not too sure about this tweet either. I wonder if he tweeted more about his Bloomington visit? If this is the only btown related tweet, that would be fishy though.

It would be helpful to know if DB made that tweet at 10 am EST or 10 am PCT time. I've heard both versions. Also, since DB and JR are really good friends, might not JR have not met him for breakfast? I realize he didn't, but he might have, under different circumstances ...

The tweet was 100% 1:00pm ET/10:00am PT. Not sure how you are realizing JR wasn't with him; if DB was the out of town guest, I'd fully expect both of them to have been there.

Here's a capture, the commenter who provided this made sure to note that they are located in the Central time zone.

I don't get the reference to CS and Starbucks... what am I missing??

TIA!

I'm not too sure about this tweet either. I wonder if he tweeted more about his Bloomington visit? If this is the only btown related tweet, that would be fishy though.

It was an atypical tweet. I read all of his tweets. There were only approx. 20 total but nonetheless this was the only food tweet and I think yes, the only Bloomington tweet. He never tweeted about Lauren missing.

I would expect not only JR but as many others from the night before who could haul their a$$es out of bed to be eating at the Runcible. I also expect that LE has made a visit with photos asking the servers if they recognize the POI, match debit/credit card receipts, etc.

@ BX2: One other reason (in addition to the one I described a few weeks ago) I can imagine him driving for several hours to party here is because I recall one if not two tweets about him driving to another city in Michigan to a concert (I don't think it was Phish) and/or a big sporting event and I think he noted the music he was listening to while driving.

Does the Runcible Spoon accept credit cards?

tks
-holly

Stepping away from the circus and back to the case, I wonder which of the following applies to DB's Runcible Spoon tweet:

• He was not a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet.
  • He was a guest of JR's and made an innocent tweet before she was reported missing.
  • He was a guest of JR's and made a coded tweet to communicate the deed was done.

Other?

Number 3 is only possible if he was seen by others while visiting; otherwise why would he place himself in Bloomington.

Number 3 is only possible if he was seen by others while visiting; otherwise why would he place himself in Bloomington.

4. To give the impression he was still in town and never left.

Not that I have a theory about this. Just throwing out a possibility.

We're not central, we're eastern

Right, if you look at the screen capture of the tweet, it has the time noted as noon. It is pertinent to understand the time zone of whoever captured it, in this case Central, in order to figure out the time it was actually sent.

Does the Runcible Spoon accept credit cards?

Yes.

But if someone had just committed a serious crime, don't you think that they would realize that a tweet alone would be useless as an alibi, while using their cell phone to tweet would easily pin point their location?

If code, it seems there would be a lot of easier ways to communicate with JR rather than publicly setting yourself up to be caught in a lie. Also, why wouldn't JR and DB have just used each other as an alibi and to confirm their story about LS, if they were both involved? I find it hard to believe that DB, if present, would have totally avoided all suspicion. I think more likely, if he was visiting JR, it was established early on that he was not a POI, because he was not around that night or for some other reason.

Also, when someone only has a few tweets, it's very hard to tell what is or isn't normal for them. I didn't find it weird at all.

Just my opinion.

The tweet was 100% 1:00pm ET/10:00am PT. Not sure how you are realizing JR wasn't with him; if DB was the out of town guest, I'd fully expect both of them to have been there.

Here's a capture, the commenter who provided this made sure to note that they are located in the Central time zone.

Thank you! Well, I guess it's logical that JR would be with him if DB was his guest, unless he was on his way home with someone else or meeting somebody. For some reason, I was thinking it was 10 am EST ... and that JR might be sleeping since he'd stayed up with LS. Then again ...

Thanks, she seems to choose her every word to the public very carefully. I think they want us the public to know exactly who they are targeting. IMO

Hmmm ... I'm not sure, StrayKat. Sometimes I think that, but other times I think that she processes by getting stuff out there, perhaps to see how others will respond, even. I also think she must be extremely exhausted, which might inhibit being careful. JMO.

I myself have flip-flopped on what she said. I don't even know if the PsOI have campus jobs ... I can't see them doing that, actually. They wouldn't have the need financially, and jobs get in the way of other activities. So that part of the statement implies more of a random abduction to me.

Re: Starbucks, though ... I realize on second thought that most kids love going there. So that might refer to almost anybody, PsOI, other student, whoever.

But if someone had just committed a serious crime, don't you think that they would realize that a tweet alone would be useless as an alibi, while using their cell phone to tweet would easily pin point their location?

If code, it seems there would be a lot of easier ways to communicate with JR rather than publicly setting yourself up to be caught in a lie. Also, why wouldn't JR and DB have just used each other as an alibi and to confirm their story about LS, if they were both involved? I find it hard to believe that DB, if present, would have totally avoided all suspicion. I think more likely, if he was visiting JR, it was established early on that he was not a POI, because he was not around that night or for some other reason.

Also, when someone only has a few tweets, it's very hard to tell what is or isn't normal for them. I didn't find it weird at all.

Just my opinion.

Like I said, not necessarily my theory, but DB could be a MPOI. An appearance at a restaurant could give the illusion that he was not hiding anything nor in any hurry to get out of town. This tweet would not qualify as an alibi, just an effort to throw off suspicion. And like you, I don't find a tweet from a restaurant weird either. But I do find it odd that HT references a friend from home yet this person's name has never surfaced. Even in the context of sleeping in another room, out at another party or collaborating JR's story.

An appearance at a restaurant could give the illusion that he was not hiding anything nor in any hurry to get out of town.

That's true...if they actually went there. I'm really just skeptical that someone worried enough about getting caught that they were trying to build an alibi or speak in code, would place themselves in a public place in Bloomington, using a cell phone, if they were really already out of town.

And yeah, he could be an MPOI... but why would the Spierers, who have gone so far as to include photos of the POI at the last public event, not give any indication that an out of town guest may be important to the story?

Again, not jumping on your post, just thinking (/typing) out loud...

I love Websleuths! I must admit that I have been just a reader. I am 40 years old now, but when I was in college at UGA, LS could have been me or any of my friends. We were doing the same things that are rumored to have been going on-partying-out at all hours of the night-etc., and that was 20 years ago! I can only imagine how much worse it is now! I think this is why the case intrigues me so much. I can remember thinking that all of my "friends" were really "friends"-and I am sure that LS thought the same thing. In all that I have read, while a stranger abduction is certainly possible, it seems more probable that one or more of her "friends" had something to do with her disappearance. I read the new replies here every day. I check for updates every day. It troubles me that there is no new news and that it is taking so long for LE to find LS. I have read stories of others who have been missing for 20, 30, 40 + years, and I just hope that this does not go on like that. Anyway, thanks for keeping this thread going!

That's true...if they actually went there. I'm really just skeptical that someone worried enough about getting caught that they were trying to build an alibi or speak in code, would place themselves in a public place in Bloomington, using a cell phone, if they were really already out of town.

And yeah, he could be an MPOI... but why would the Spierers, who have gone so far as to include photos of the POI at the last public event, not give any indication that an out of town guest may be important to the story?

5. Not a coded message but to establish that he was in fact in town and never left.

Hi Alliecog edit to AbbeyR, sorry
My post assumes that the tweet came from the Runcible Spoon. And (IF) DB knows or is involved, he did whatever he did, then came back to Bloomington and placed himself in public to give the illusion that he had nothing to hide. I am not saying this is what happened, but I think if a person did take LS away there could have been some cold hearted/risky/foolhardy efforts made later to divert suspicion.

And a mention by HT of a friend from home with JR and no plea from the Spierers for other students to come forward to confirm sightings of this guest Thursday or any days before. I don't see them giving this a pass. I am as confused as you are.

If he was visiting for the weekend and decided to leave before LS was reported missing, it might look weird to his parents (unless he has his own place and doesn't check in). I'm not saying he'd decide to leave even after the report, just that we don't know much about his stay. I'd hope his parents would want to know when/why he left if he didn't stay the expected time (providing he was actually there, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth