GUILTY Canada - Marie-France Comeau, 37, & Jessica Lloyd, 27, slain, Ont, 2009 & 2010 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt that the act of wiping down the victim was out of any consideration for her, but more an attempt to eliminate his DNA from the crime scene.

True enough, Sillybilly, I infer some level of "nurturing", which is probably the wrong word, but a level of care for the victim, as we heard about from the Tweed assault victim (getting her aspirin etc.). If he did exhibit some sort of attempt at care for the victim, that could indicate a possible bond to the victim (stalking) etc.

This is on the front page of the Ottawa Citizen online:
Mary Elizabeth Harriman
Apology
A story and headline on page A4 of yesterday's Ottawa Citizen may have left the impression that Mary Elizabeth Harriman, the wife of Colonel Russell Williams, had knowledge of the criminal actions of her husband. The story did not intend to suggest she had any knowledge of his criminal actions and the Citizen retracts and apologizes for the implication.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/topic.html?t=Person&q=Mary+Elizabeth+Harriman

Someone must have complained to get a written apology!

So, I see, MEH and her people, are more concerned regarding what people might think of HER, than of extending sympathy and regret for the actions of her husband who victimized a countless number of people. I don't even remember reading anything in a Citizen article that could be construed in that way. Does anyone know what The Citizen could be referring to in that article?

I would imagine at this point that MEH has very little in her life that allows her to feel empowered (even more difficult for someone who has a position where they are in "control"). Maybe it's her attempt at exerting whatever power/control she can in any area of her life. Wouldn't be surprised if her day-to-day existence right now isn't being handled primarily by advice from shrinks and lawyers.

I agree, and if that is true, it is a very similar existence to Williams' victims that were allowed to live, along with the loved ones of Williams' murder victims.

Williams' victims are left with a huge, gaping hole of pain, that will never be filled again.

The gaping hole left in MEH's life, sits in a cell awaiting his sentence, so he can live out his days in the best negotiated comfort.

So it seems RW was photographing his victims as far back as his days at UOT. I had read of his pranks, but didn't know he was photographing the victims at that time.

The fourth-floor personnel office at the University of Toronto's Scarborough campus was a suitably staid place to work, so department manager June Hope could hardly expect what greeted her one morning when she arrived to unlock her door.

Everything – her desk, her computer and her chair – had vanished beneath a tangled mess of white paper that filled the room from floor to ceiling. Whoever had pulled this stunt had not only broken in the night before but spent hours crumpling computer paper until it formed the unwieldy mass that stood before her.

Just as Ms. Hope turned to announce her surprise to her co-workers, she heard a familiar sound. “Click.”

Behind the camera was the department's latest part-time hire, a polite and proper young man with strawberry blond hair the women on staff had taken a real shine to.

“Russ, do you not have anything better to do with your evenings than sit there rummaging through blank paper and filling my room with it?” Ms. Hope asked.

“No,” he replied.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...g-of-a-mystery-man/article1537412/singlepage/

So, the "Apology" to MEH was written on October 9th, and quoted "yesterdays" story. There were many stories regarding RW on the 8th, perhaps someone familiar with the hardcopy of the paper can shed light which story was on A4 (cover???). Here are October 8th's RW articles, the scratched floor article was the one that discussed MEH the most, but, I don't know where the implication of knowledge reference would come from. I really can't figure out exactly which article the apology to MEH is referring to.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/search/search.html?q=russell+williams

I have to say, this article is almost pointless, the terminology a little sensationalistic.

Mallick: Col. Russell Williams, the souvenir hound
October 11, 2010

Rage and hatred were my initial reactions to the Col. Russell Williams case. They’re still bubbling along nicely with the news that he intends to formally plead guilty to the first-degree murder of Cpl. Marie-France Comeau, 38, and Jessica Lloyd, 27, the protracted sexual assault of two other women and 82 break-ins to steal lingerie.

The standard interpretation of such fetishism is that panties have intrinsic sexual power. Women may not want you, but you want them and now you have them, distilled, in their private garments worn next to private parts. One assumes Williams masturbated habitually. He may even have worn his trophies. Without a trial, we may never know.

When Williams and his wife socialized with the Tweed neighbour, he was committing delicious mind-rape, the joke being both on her and on Williams’ wife, Mary-Elizabeth Harriman, a woman who didn’t know her own home well.

This is odd. I know every inch of my house. It would be impossible to hide cartons from me. Perhaps Harriman was infinitely trusting of her husband, perhaps not. Another unsolved mystery.

Williams’ souvenir-collecting escalated. He was now saying, “I came, I saw, I took.” “I came into her house, I saw her fear, I took her picture.” His final theft was this: “I took her life.”

Why did he do it? He liked it.

Oh, the places he’s seen! In prison, the loss of his souvenirs will bother him most of all.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...-col-russell-williams-the-souvenir-hound?bn=1

Sorry, I don't post often here but this poll caught my eye. Hubby has a bunch of mystery boxes in the garage - I don't care what's in them, there are spiders in the garage! I know AG has a bunch of boxes in her garage too, but I don't check them either - same reason - spiders!! LOL

ETA: Sorry again LMB, I see everyone else has moved on to more serious stuff ;)

Everybody is different. We shouldn't compare ourselves with people we don't know because ... well, we don't know them. ;) I'm the nosy type. My husband is not. I could have a couple of dead bodies boxed up in the garage, or even the top shelf of my clothes closet, and my husband would be blissfully unaware for years. He has no curiosity about what isn't his and respects my privacy.

We do know that RW is the quintessential alpha male. Domination was his thing. He has had decades of training in being secretive and keeping confidential information. He fooled everyone - in his private and professional lives. I suspect that MEH is somewhat of the subservient type. If he instructed her to not touch his belongings for whatever reason (or maybe no reasons given at all), she would likely obey him. With his military position, he could have given her any number of explanations of their contents. He may have labeled them as containing really boring papers. If those boxes were locked or securely taped, she would be the type to not question their contents or attempt to open them.

Where those boxes (trunks?) had been stored before the move to the Ottawa house is anyone's guess. The couple had not been in the new home for very long. MEH had a busy, demanding job, perhaps involving travel. She was also supervising the house renovations. She probably didn't have time to go snooping around her husband's stuff. And if she trusted him, why would she?

I saw the picture of the house and garage. While the garage doesn't have a peaked roof, you can judge by the size of the cars in the driveway that there could still be room for low rafters above car level. More boxes could have been hidden inside the house - attic, heating ducts, basement, secret compartments behind walls or under floorboards. Or maybe just a simple, locked filing cabinet.

Not all those boxes we saw in the pics had to have been usable evidence. LE takes everything that might be. Underwear, even hundreds, and CDs don't take up all that much space. We might be overestimating the number of boxes that needed to stay hidden. I suspect that LE transferred what they found into their own boxes. You can see that they labeled the boxes with their own info.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I can't believe that MEH could have had any inkling about RW's secret activities and still stayed with him. She is not an uneducated, unemployed, substance-addicted woman, but an intelligent, independent, well-educated, self-sufficient one. Regardless of how subservient she might be, how many women of this type would stay with a multiple-rapist/murderer? Personally, I have seen very little reason to vilify this woman.

JMO!

I agree, and if that is true, it is a very similar existence to Williams' victims that were allowed to live, along with the loved ones of Williams' murder victims.

Williams' victims are left with a huge, gaping hole of pain, that will never be filled again.

The gaping hole left in MEH's life, sits in a cell awaiting his sentence, so he can live out his days in the best negotiated comfort.

(BBM)

It's almost impossible for me to put myself in MEH's shoes. But when I try, I see a much larger hole in her life than just the lack of a husband. Until February, she was a respected, admired, and from all accounts, beloved member of her social circle and profession. All reports from friends and acquaintances indicate that she was in a loving, happy marriage. She seemed to be a private person, not seeking the spotlight.

All of a sudden, her world was turned upside down. Everything she believed in, trusted, and relied on became a lie. She's been put under a microscope and likely hounded by the press. She is being scrutinized and vilified in this forum and probably others. I'm sure she hasn't had a good night's sleep in months, trying to figure out what she missed and how she could have missed it. The guilt, the shame, the fear, the self-recriminations would be unrelenting. What will her future bring? Will she ever be able to resume her life in any normal manner? I seriously doubt it. I strongly suspect that she is in her own private hell.

(Again, I'd like to stress that I do not mean to equate MEH's victimization with those who suffered and/or died at RW's filthy hands. There IS no comparison. But she too is a woman who has suffered and will continue to do so for the rest of her life and she has my sympathy.)

JMO

So, the "Apology" to MEH was written on October 9th, and quoted "yesterdays" story. There were many stories regarding RW on the 8th, perhaps someone familiar with the hardcopy of the paper can shed light which story was on A4 (cover???). Here are October 8th's RW articles, the scratched floor article was the one that discussed MEH the most, but, I don't know where the implication of knowledge reference would come from. I really can't figure out exactly which article the apology to MEH is referring to.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/search/search.html?q=russell+williams

It looks like only one line of the article was to be removed.

Postmedia News October 10, 2010 A story slugged WILLIAMS-FLOORS, which moved Thursday, contained the following paragraph:

``It is not known if Harriman knew about his secret, double life because she has declined comment.''

If any newspapers or websites ran this paragraph, the following apology is mandatory and must be run.

***Please also remove the line from any current or future use of the story in print or online.***

It looks like only one line of the article was to be removed.

Postmedia News October 10, 2010 A story slugged WILLIAMS-FLOORS, which moved Thursday, contained the following paragraph:

``It is not known if Harriman knew about his secret, double life because she has declined comment.''

If any newspapers or websites ran this paragraph, the following apology is mandatory and must be run.

***Please also remove the line from any current or future use of the story in print or online.***

BBM

Wow, what a classic example of how the media fuels speculation and rumour. MEH is not a cheap version of Karla, I see no reason to treat her as anything but a victim of RW's vileness. JMO

With MEH being in the news the last couple of days (regarding the floors and the apology) my views have changed of her. I felt bad for her, being innocent and having your life turned upside down by someone whom you trusted and loved. After the floor incident, I thought WOW how can she do that, making society (taxpayers) pay for the floors to be replaced, BLAME YOUR HUSBAND....if he didn't do this your floors would be fine!!!! Even though this whole case was her husbands doing, she is still somewhat innocently contected to it. I don't think I would ever complain about scratches on the floor after what her husband did. He stole trust and safety in communities across Ontario, he took human beings from loving families, he brought fear to many women who's houses he broke into. Society now sees her as more worried about wooden floors than murdered or raped victims. As for the apology, what did she expect, after all she is married to a cold blooded murdering rapist who is now famous world wide. He has covered the front page of every newspaper from coast to coast and overseas. Did she really think that she would be left out of this by staying quiet and out of the limelight, a simple interview with her lawyer through the media could settle alot of questions. With her remaining quiet, people are more apt to speculate and talk.

I don't have a strong opinion one way or another, but if MEH truly had no knowledge, she is certainly a victim on the periphery. Let's not take the chance of revictimizing any victim. If she had no knowledge, then I can't imagine the guilt she must be feeling over the "i should have known".

Unless there is something concrete to indicate she had knowledge, I think we should tread pretty lightly in any discussions about MEH. She has not been implicated by LE, and it is already evident that any suggestions that she may have had knowledge are being taken seriously and dealt with swiftly, as they should be by her and her advocates.

Found this article - - note the date: 2005

The Ottawa Citizen
Thursday, January 20, 2005

Ottawa police are on the lookout for a serial underwear thief.

In a most unusual statement, police revealed yesterday they were seeking the public's assistance in tracking down a man who was spotted stealing ladies' lingerie over the weekend.

Witnesses saw the man roaming between floors of a highrise apartment building at 1435 Prince of Wales Dr. on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. He was seen coming out of two unlocked apartments where female residents had gone to the laundry room. He escaped through the stairwell. It appears the only stolen items were silky, lacy underwear.

"It seems to be a random act at this point," said Sgt. Murray Robinson, an investigator in the west division. "Underwear is the only item taken."

The suspect is described as white male, 30 to 35 years of age, tall, with neat, short dark brown or black hair and slight stubble, thick eyebrows and light-blue or green eyes. He was wearing faded black jeans and a black winter coat (possibly leather).

Sgt. Robinson said 60 to 100 items were stolen. And, while he did acknowledge a comic element to the crime, he insisted it remained a crime nonetheless. "It's a theft, a crime that we investigate like any other," he said.

Residents of the 17-storey building said they hope police catch the panty predator soon.

"Hopefully, it's not someone from the building," said Gordana Tesic, 27, who resides on the 16th floor. "I'd be scared if that was my neighbour."

Ms. Tesic, who has lived in the building for three years, has yet to have any of her knickers nicked. She said she had not heard about the panty pincher, but when told about it last night, she called it "sick."

"It makes me feel not safe," she said.

Indeed, six-year resident Christine Pomothy, in her mid-20s, said it's not difficult for non-residents to get into the building. Ms. Pomothy said she already does what police are recommending residents do to keep their panties in their drawers: lock their doors at all times and stay aware of their surroundings.

She added that she read about the thong thief on a letter posted in the elevator.

"It hasn't happened to me yet," she said. "But it's pretty easy for someone to slip in."

She said she had heard about two incidents in the building in which women were attacked, once in the basement and once in an elevator. "It's kind of freaky,"
RSBM
Read more: http://aronheller.com/documents/articles/citizen/purloined%20panties%200120.htm

The nicest thing about hardwood floors is that they last almost forever because you can sand and re-finish them over and over and over again. MEH insisted that the floors be replaced. Maybe in the world of rich snobs this is acceptable behavior but not in mine.

I'm grateful that the media reported the floor story. It in no way indicates that MEH is associated with the crimes of RW, but for me it provides some balance to all the articles in which people are praising the character of RW and her. It leads me to think that in their social circles insincerity and materialism abounds.

JMO

A few scratches on a floor is so trivial compared to the deep wounds suffered by his victims and I wonder why she found that a top priority and demanded compensation. Even an apology now to the victims families would be a little late in coming.. Sadly for her she will never come out of this smelling like a rose because of her association with this evil bast***...

The nicest thing about hardwood floors is that they last almost forever because you can sand and re-finish them over and over and over again. MEH insisted that the floors be replaced. Maybe in the world of rich snobs this is acceptable behavior but not in mine.

I'm grateful that the media reported the floor story. It in no way indicates that MEH is associated with the crimes of RW, but for me it provides some balance to all the articles in which people are praising the character of RW and her. It leads me to think that in their social circles insincerity and materialism abounds.

JMO

I agree it was very tacky. Might have been a bit more acceptable to us had she gone after RW for the $3000.

Media reports clearly indicate that LE went through great lengths to avoid damage to the home.

RW is the one responsible for LE going to the home and ultimately the floor damage. The logic displayed by MEH was not to hold RW accountable for the floor damage but rather the tax-payers of Ontario.

Logically one would conclude that the tax-payers should be reimbursed by RW. However this will not happen since the deal was agreed to by LE.

The next question would be: Why would LE agree to such a ridiculous deal? A very good question in which the only answer would be that RW has LE wrapped around his finger. Media reports of how the interrogation and incarceration has played out indicate that this is exactly the case.

It is clear that LE is desperate to make a deal and will agree to almost any of his demands as long as they appear in the end to have doled out justice.

Anyone know where MEH and RW lived from June 1991 to 1995?

They married June 1, 1991 in Winnipeg. Then in 1992 he posted to Shearwater, and then at some point he transferred to 412 Transport Squadron in Ottawa. As far as we know, the Wilkie house was the first one they bought (in 1995), so am wondering where they lived prior to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100