IL - 'Why ... Did You Shoot?' Witness Asked Officer Who Killed Rekia Boyd

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
3202d77f.gif

COOK COUNTY CRIMINAL COURTHOUSE — A witness to the shooting that killed 22-year-old Rekia Boyd said he asked the off-duty detective who pulled the trigger: "Why the f--- did you shoot?"

Chicago Police officer Dante Servin replied: "I thought your phone was a f------ weapon," according to testimony from Antonio Cross, who took the stand during Servin's trial Monday.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Are we serious, here? Another one? I guess I'd better invest in some kevlar.

An off duty cop fails to identify himself and shoots while sitting in his vehicle? The person he shot at, and those with him thought he was looking for drugs. Without identifying himself, I can see how that would be the case.

Assuming Servin 'only' fired 5 shots, only 1 bullet hit his intended target. That's a 20% success rate, and an 80% failure rate. Of course hitting an unintended target in the head with one those 80% failure rate bullets puts a whole new equation in play.

$4.5 million paid into the estate of the innocent deceased by the 'city', which should really be identified here as the taxpayers, is only a portion of the total cost to date.

Imo, Servin was looking for trouble that night and found it big time. Good for him. Wonder how much he has personally shelled out for what his antics are costing?

Baymon testified that she spoke with Boyd's close friend Ikca Beamon the night of the shooting, as Boyd was on life support. Baymon claims Beamon told her that Cross pretended his phone was a gun and whipped it out "just to spook [Servin]."

Beamon said she blamed Cross and his friend for arguing with Servin, and didn't think it was fair that Boyd had been shot in her head, while Cross was only hit in his hand, according to Baymon.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2015...t-witness-asked-officer-who-killed-rekia-boyd

OK let's say Cross did that - to someone he thought approached them looking for drugs. Not a good move on his part. Cross should have known the occupant of the car was an off-duty cop, imo. The outcome may have been altogether different, but no one will ever know.

Why did Servin approach them in the first place? Imo, reading this court testimony, he was looking for and found trouble, given that Servin had a weapon handy at his side in the vehicle.

As for Baymon's testimony - from the same article.

Baymon didn't report her conversation with Beamon to authorities until after Servin was charged in November 2013. She testified that she assumed police were aware of the situation, and said it wasn't until Servin was criminally charged that she realized that wasn't the case.

I don't believe a word of this - she 'realized' what cops knew and didn't know at the time charges were laid against Servin? No way - she's full of it. Imo, she has been coaxed/coached into cooperating for Servin.

OK let's say Cross did that - to someone he thought approached them looking for drugs. Not a good move on his part. Cross should have known the occupant of the car was an off-duty cop, imo. The outcome may have been altogether different, but no one will ever know.

Why did Servin approach them in the first place? Imo, reading this court testimony, he was looking for and found trouble, given that Servin had a weapon handy at his side in the vehicle.

Baymon didn't report her conversation with Beamon to authorities until after Servin was charged in November 2013. She testified that she assumed police were aware of the situation, and said it wasn't until Servin was criminally charged that she realized that wasn't the case.

I don't believe a word of this - she 'realized' what cops knew and didn't know at the time charges were laid against Servin? No way - she's full of it. Imo, she has been coaxed/coached into cooperating for Servin.
But her believability is an issue for the finder of fact, is it not? So it is up to the jury or judge (in a bench trial), correct?

My opinion will not effect the fact finder. It's just my opinion. Like all the other posters on WS.

Not so sure the DA is trying all that hard in this case to show this cop to have been unnecessarily armed and out of place at the time of the incident - in my opinion. If the defendant wasn't a cop, pretty sure - in my opinion - the approach to trial would have been quite different. As in Baymon's 'realization' being kept out of the courtroom. Since when is one's perceived 'realization' a valid point of law?

{ETA: From Woodland's earlier post:
"Why did Servin approach them in the first place? Imo, reading this court testimony, he was looking for and found trouble, given that Servin had a weapon handy at his side in the vehicle."}
My opinion will not effect the fact finder. It's just my opinion. Like all the other posters on WS. Not so sure the DA is trying all that hard in this case to show
thiscop to have been unnecessarily armed and out of place at the time of the incident - in my opinion....
sbm

? Unnecessarily armed? Not saying what Chicago PD policy is, but -
some PDs' policies encourage or require LEOs to carry off-duty (w some exceptions, e.g. in their own homes).

? LEO/detective was "out of place"? "Looking for trouble?"
Are LEOs prohibited from being or driving in areas of their PD's jurisdiction other than their homes and
- assigned patrol zones for patrol officers?
- assigned investigative task-zones, e.g. station house, crime scenes, interviewing witnesses, etc., for detectives?

{{ETA: seems LEO was close/fairly close to his home.
"He had left his West Side home that night after reporting a loud party at Douglas Park. As Servin drove through the neighborhood, Blagg said, he spotted Boyd, another woman and two men making noise near the mouth of an alley."He said what any reasonable neighbor would say at 1 in the morning" and asked the group to quiet down, Blagg said. But the group exchanged heated words and Cross raised his cellphone as if it were a gun, the defense argued."
Prosecutors played a recording of a 911 call Servin made before the confrontation. He can be heard about 11:49 p.m. on March 20 complaining about a party at nearby Douglas Park.

"It's out of control. There's 2, 300 people there and I'm afraid something bad is going to happen,'' he said of the incident that unfolded on the 1400 and 1500 blocks of South Albany Avenue.
^http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150409/north-lawndale/chicago-police-officer-fatal-shooting-of-rekia-boyd-on-trial-thursday#slideshow-carousel. April 9}}

N.B. Not saying shooting was justified, just questioning conclusion (even, 'imo') LEO was unnec. armed & out of place.
Glad posters are able to express personal opinions here, but I wonder about how some reach their opinions.

JM2cts and I could be wrong. Maybe a Chicago area resident could correct my geography mistakes, if any.

556px-Chicago_community_areas_map.svg.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago#/media/File:Chicago_community_areas_map.svg.

Driving around at 1:00 am because a party is going on in the neighborhood is looking for trouble, or to join the party imo. Not reasonable imo in this day and age, and no way will I believe LE would have found it reasonable if someone else did it and trouble followed - like shooting someone in the head. With an ooops I meant to shoot someone else instead.

BBM. How could Cross possible know the occupant was an off-duty cop? In the testimony, it was noted that Servin approached them and ask them to reduce the noise. He lived there and wasn't afraid of them, which is why he approached them. It's the very reason the City of Chicago provides incentives for police officers, fire fighters, etc. to live in inner city neighborhoods.

JMO

Servin should have identified himself as a cop - that's how it would have been clear to Cross who he was dealing with.

This would/could have solicited different actions/conversation etc - no one will ever know now.

Servin should have identified himself as a cop - that's how it would have been clear to Cross who he was dealing with.

This would/could have solicited different actions/conversation etc - no one will ever know now.

That might be your speculation but it is not an issue before the court. Servin lived in the neighborhood. Whether or not he was a cop was irrelevant, he had every right to ask them to be quiet. Cross is the one who flashed something in a menacing manner. Responsibility for that action lies squarely with Cross and is the reason why the charges against Servin are not more serious.

JMO

OK - Servin asked them (Cross and those with him) to be quiet. Then shot 2 people when he received a gesture he didn't like in response - which cost the taxpayers $4.5 million alone to the estate of the unintended victim. So why did the taxpayers pick up that tab if Servin was acting in the capacity of Joe Citizen?

I get the gesture lies squarely with Cross - don't get the shooting with a gun that happened to be handy or taxpayers on the hook for Joe Servin/Citizen. Do taxpayers normally pick up the tab for all such Joe Citizen situations?

OK - Servin asked them (Cross and those with him) to be quiet. Then shot 2 people when he received a gesture he didn't like in response - which cost the taxpayers $4.5 million alone to the estate of the unintended victim. So why did the taxpayers pick up that tab if Servin was acting in the capacity of Joe Citizen?

I get the gesture lies squarely with Cross - don't get the shooting with a gun that happened to be handy or taxpayers on the hook for Joe Servin/Citizen. Do taxpayers normally pick up the tab for all such Joe Citizen situations?

Even in accidents, taxpayers pick up the cost when it is happens as a result of employee negligence whether it be failure to place adequate warning signs about traffic barricades or accidentally shooting a bystander as happened in Omaha to the Cops! television crew man.

JMO

3202d77f.gif

Courtroom erupts after CPD detective found not guilty in fatal shooting of unarmed woman
By Stefano Esposito and Frank Main, Chicago Sun Times, Posted: 04/20/2015, 01:55pm

Cook County Judge Dennis Porter stared out across his packed courtroom Monday and offered a warning to anyone prone to emotional outbursts: “It might be a good time to leave right now.”

No one moved.

And then, in a case that has become part of the national discussion about police-involved shootings, Porter made a shocking announcement: He was dismissing all charges against an off-duty Chicago Police officer accused in the March 21, 2012, shooting death of Rekia Boyd.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

3202d77f.gif

Courtroom erupts after CPD detective found not guilty in fatal shooting of unarmed woman
By Stefano Esposito and Frank Main, Chicago Sun Times, Posted: 04/20/2015, 01:55pm

Cook County Judge Dennis Porter stared out across his packed courtroom Monday and offered a warning to anyone prone to emotional outbursts: “It might be a good time to leave right now.”

No one moved.

And then, in a case that has become part of the national discussion about police-involved shootings, Porter made a shocking announcement: He was dismissing all charges against an off-duty Chicago Police officer accused in the March 21, 2012, shooting death of Rekia Boyd.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Wow. Just wow.

From a similar article in post #15 -

Porter said that while he had no doubt Servin shot Boyd, he didn't think prosecutors adequately proved that Servin acted recklessly — one of the requirements for finding someone guilty of manslaughter.

Imo, there was no real prosecution here, so no real need for a defense was necessary.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...e-officer-who-shot-rekia-boyd-on-trial-monday

3202d77f.gif

courtroom erupts after cpd detective found not guilty in fatal shooting of unarmed woman
by stefano esposito and frank main, chicago sun times, posted: 04/20/2015, 01:55pm

cook county judge dennis porter stared out across his packed courtroom monday and offered a warning to anyone prone to emotional outbursts: “it might be a good time to leave right now.”

no one moved.

And then, in a case that has become part of the national discussion about police-involved shootings, porter made a shocking announcement: He was dismissing all charges against an off-duty chicago police officer accused in the march 21, 2012, shooting death of rekia boyd.

eyesr_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

what!!!!?????

From a similar article in post #15 -

Porter said that while he had no doubt Servin shot Boyd, he didn't think prosecutors adequately proved that Servin acted recklessly — one of the requirements for finding someone guilty of manslaughter.

Imo, there was no real prosecution here, so no real need for a defense was necessary.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...e-officer-who-shot-rekia-boyd-on-trial-monday

They had no desire to even try to prosecute him. UNbelievable.

what!!!!?????

There is a very damning statement made by Servin in the Chicago Sun Times article - imo. Was trying to copy it but it is blanked out at every access. No one else seems to carry the statement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back