CT - Five die in Stamford Christmas Day fire 2011.12.25

There are some things one should just keep to him or herself. This might be one of those things.

I'm still not getting the outrage. The writer wrote a somewhat standard piece on gaining perspective from the tragedy of others. If anything, his approach to the story was cliche.

Yes, I agree that "what he learned" is trivial compared to the scope of the tragedy, but he should be fired? (I realize that wasn't your suggestion, jenny.) Surely it would be enough for those who are offended to simply respond to the link with a note saying this event wasn't a good opportunity to write about the reporter's personal experience.

Cause for alarms
7 detectors OK’d for Conn. mansion

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/cause_for_alarms_3QGAqkXBTrsoSPtj6bsAJN#ixzz1hvjgJ8H7

"A permit was approved in May for at least seven smoke detectors in a doomed Connecticut mansion — but none was hooked up when three girls and their grandparents died there in a horrific Christmas Day fire."

"The chief buildings official in Stamford told The Post yesterday that, given the of time between when he issued the permit and Sunday’s fire, the detectors should have been working."
No operable smoke detectors? That would be inexcusable.

:(

MOO

Backlash? The writer concludes that he was petty to resent being called to work on Christmas. What backlash does that merit?

So no, I don't think it would matter had the deaths been murders. Same principle, same conclusion by the author.

i never said a word or asked, about backlash.

my point was that the writer of the piece in question did a horrible job, both in handling a delicate matter and also in representing those whose craft is writing.

personally, i still believe that if this family had been brutally murdered, you'd be hard pressed to find a single person defend the writer's pitiful excuse for an editorial, but to each their own opinion.

no matter how we agree or disagree in regard to an article in a newspaper, it's probably safe to assume we're all heartbroken for this family. what an inconceivable loss.

IMO

I have been reading a lot of articles about the fire.This is a horrible tragedy and I can't begin to imagine the pain Ms.Badger is going through.I don't have a good feeling about how this happened though.The boyfriend of Ms.Badger (the contractor) has raised a few red flags for me.Even if he was drinking common sense should tell him you don't leave a bag with embers in a house.How easy to just even throw it in the front yard away from the house or in the driveway.Why didn't he just douse them in the fireplace? Michael Borcina is the boyfriend and tell reporters this “We’re going to be okay,” Borcina said. “We’re just trying to stay positive.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...hs-5-a-tragedy-article-1.997816#ixzz1hzUPt7aD

This just happened and he said they are trying to stay positive?

Michael Borcina has a Facebook page,don't know if I can link here.He has two,one has photos of Ms.Badger and him.He speaks of being in a relationship and calls her "my girl".
There are no pictures of her kids at all or mention of them.It looks like he likes to travel
and have a good time.I wonder,did he just wanted her in his life,minus the children?
He also states in this article Borcina says he’s had trouble sleeping since the morning when he nearly rescued two of the girls — only to have them panic and disappear into the smoke and flames.Truth or not,that is my question??

http://www.spoke.com/info/pFYU8mQ/MichaelBorcina

Michael Borcina has a Facebook page,don't know if I can link here.He has two,one has photos of Ms.Badger and him.He speaks of being in a relationship and calls her "my girl".
There are no pictures of her kids at all or mention of them.It looks like he likes to travel
and have a good time.I wonder,did he just wanted her in his life,minus the children?
He also states in this article Borcina says he’s had trouble sleeping since the morning when he nearly rescued two of the girls — only to have them panic and disappear into the smoke and flames.Truth or not,that is my question??

http://www.spoke.com/info/pFYU8mQ/MichaelBorcina

I have the same hinky feeling about this guy. His quote about trying to stay positive bothers me. I can't imagine how you could find anything positive in this horribly tragic event, but then, these weren't his children or his parents who died. I'm just struck by the casual attitude that has flavored this person's quotes, as well as the journalist who wrote the questionable piece. I send prayers and hope for some sort of healing for Ms. Badger and the father of these precious children. I don't know how you even begin to recover from this loss.

Nobody should be throwing embers anywhere. Even if you throw them in a front yard, if they are still smoldering, they could start a fire. They need to be put into a metal container and dampened. But one should never dampen them while they are still in the fireplace. I don't believe anything was done on purpose. For one, it would be very difficult to control the outcome in case of fire. No way to know who is going to make it out alive. I think people don't know much about fireplace safety.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-12-28/Stamford-fire-deaths/52253590/1

..........He owns Tiberias Construction Inc., which renovates expensive homes and businesses. The company's projects have included a Donna Karan store and artist Alex Beard's studio, both in New York City, and the White House Christmas wishing tree, according to the construction firm's website.

According to the Department of Consumer Protection, Borcina was registered for a brief time more than 10 years ago, but neither Borcina nor his company are currently registered to perform home improvement work in Connecticut.
-----

Most of the second floor was being renovated, and Badger was awaiting a final inspection, said Ernie Ogera, director of operations for the city of Stamford.

According to the city's zoning ordinances, he said, the family should have been living only in the unrenovated sections of the house. Investigators do not yet know whether anyone was staying in renovated sections that had not been approved.

City building inspectors last examined the work in July and did not find any problems, he said.

I wonder if there will be any charges for the contractor for working in a state where he has no license and letting the family move in before inspections were completed....also if the mother will eventually sue him for starting the fire and causing the loss of her entire family?

I frankly don't think he was working there as a contractor.

'She is the strongest woman I know': Friends of mother whose three children and parents perished in Christmas Day fire say she will pull through
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...chelle-Kessler-Sanders-says-pull-through.html

A parenting grieving the loss of a child is the worst and no matter how old that child is. It is worse than a child grieving the loss of their parent.

As for Michael Borcina, something about him does not sound right. His contracting business was not even licensed from what I have read.

i never said a word or asked, about backlash.

With respect, doubt, your own post said the writer would have to deal "with whatever backlash it brings him...." So, um, yes, you did.

my point was that the writer of the piece in question did a horrible job, both in handling a delicate matter and also in representing those whose craft is writing.

personally, i still believe that if this family had been brutally murdered, you'd be hard pressed to find a single person defend the writer's pitiful excuse for an editorial, but to each their own opinion.

no matter how we agree or disagree in regard to an article in a newspaper, it's probably safe to assume we're all heartbroken for this family. what an inconceivable loss.

IMO

I don't entirely disagree. But since the writer himself concludes that his personal grievance was petty, his article seems an inappropriate focus for outrage. It's not as if he was unkind to the victims, he was just honest about his own initial reaction to being called out on Christmas morning.

There's an entire generation of young writers who have been taught that objectivity is an illusion and their own response to everything is the only true subject of literature.

And it isn't only writing classes that promote a culture of narcissism. Look at shows such as DATELINE that invite viewers to log on at the second commercial break to opine on the guilt or innocence of a suspect. As if our opinions are so important we can't wait an hour for the program to conclude before expressing them!

I can't help but note the irony of WebSleuthers complaining that somebody else appropriates a tragedy for his own purposes. What are we doing here anyway? Aiding the victims? Once in awhile, perhaps, but most of the time we are merely feeding our own curiosities on the tragedies of others.

As such, we're not even as honest as the writer of the article in question.

I frankly don't think he was working there as a contractor.

Regardless of their relationship, his company did the renovations, was not approved to work in the state of Conn., the renovations had not passsed inspection and fire warnings were not attached AFTER being approved, plus his action with the embers disposal started the fire.

The woman has lost her entire family!! Relationships have a habit of falling apart in this kind of tragedy and stress, even with couples that are married for long periods of time.

A contractor doing renovations does not need a license to work in Ct., they only need to be registered.
Per Ct. gov. sites.

With respect, doubt, your own post said the writer would have to deal "with whatever backlash it brings him...." So, um, yes, you did.

I don't entirely disagree. But since the writer himself concludes that his personal grievance was petty, his article seems an inappropriate focus for outrage. It's not as if he was unkind to the victims, he was just honest about his own initial reaction to being called out on Christmas morning.

There's an entire generation of young writers who have been taught that objectivity is an illusion and their own response to everything is the only true subject of literature.

And it isn't only writing classes that promote a culture of narcissism. Look at shows such as DATELINE that invite viewers to log on at the second commercial break to opine on the guilt or innocence of a suspect. As if our opinions are so important we can't wait an hour for the program to conclude before expressing them!

I can't help but note the irony of WebSleuthers complaining that somebody else appropriates a tragedy for his own purposes. What are we doing here anyway? Aiding the victims? Once in awhile, perhaps, but most of the time we are merely feeding our own curiosities on the tragedies of others.

As such, we're not even as honest as the writer of the article in question.

obviously we're missing each other here so i'm going to do what i tried to do yesterday, agree to disagree.

A contractor doing renovations does not need a license to work in Ct., they only need to be registered.
Per Ct. gov. sites.

I am not even sure it was his company that actually did renovations on that home.

obviously we're missing each other here so i'm going to do what i tried to do yesterday, agree to disagree.

You claimed not to have posted something you did in fact post. I politely pointed out your error.

How we "agree to disagree" on that escapes me.

When my all-too-frequent errors are pointed out to me, I usually find "oops" an appropriate response.

Per Ct. gov. sites.

I live in Stamford and this is not true. In order to receive a building permit the contractor must be licensed. The only exception is if the property owner is the contractor.

Nobody should be throwing embers anywhere. Even if you throw them in a front yard, if they are still smoldering, they could start a fire. They need to be put into a metal container and dampened. But one should never dampen them while they are still in the fireplace. I don't believe anything was done on purpose. For one, it would be very difficult to control the outcome in case of fire. No way to know who is going to make it out alive. I think people don't know much about fireplace safety.

Agree. I don't think this was anything other than pure negligence in disposing of the embers and fireplace residue. Sadly it is Ms. Badger's children and parents who perished in the most horrible manner as a result. My prayers for her recovery from what will probably haunt her forever.

MOO

You claimed not to have posted something you did in fact post. I politely pointed out your error.

How we "agree to disagree" on that escapes me.

When my all-too-frequent errors are pointed out to me, I usually find "oops" an appropriate response.

if i made an error i'd have said so. i didn't. you did not understand me. feel free to offer an "oops" if it makes you feel better.

Madonna Badger's screams for her children haunt firefighters at fatal Stamford fire

"For Stamford's bravest, the gut-wrenching howl of Madonna Badger echoes as loudly now as it did in the darkness of Christmas morning."

“My babies! My babies!” the mother of three wailed as firefighters arrived at the burning three-story home where her daughters were trapped. “My whole life is in there!”

"The blaze was extinguished, the $1.7 million death house was razed, and the wounds of four injured department heroes are starting to heal."

"But time won’t turn down the volume on Badger’s visceral cries, now carried each day by Stamford’s firefighters along with their helmets and boots."

“The one thing they can’t get out of their minds is her screaming,” said Assistant Fire Chief Peter Brown. “That voice will stay with them for as long as they live.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-stamford-fire-article-1.998165#ixzz1iD1qa917

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back