GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure am missing you guys!! Hope each of you is well.

Hayes/Haze Fires Attorney 9/20/11 WRAL internet news

Raleigh, N.C. — A Raleigh man accused of killing and dismembering his ex-girlfriend has fired his attorney.

During a hearing Thursday in Wake County Superior Court, Jim Freeman filed a handwritten motion and letter from Grant Ruffin Hayes asking a judge to relieve Freeman as counsel.

Freeman cited "good cause" for the dismissal but said he could not elaborate why.

Hayes, who will be appointed a new public defender, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Laura Jean Ackerson.

Ackerson, 27, was last seen July 13 in Raleigh, where she was dropping off the two children she shares with Hayes.

She was reported missing five days later, and her remains were found July 24 in a creek in Richmond, Texas, about 60 miles south of Houston.

Hayes' wife, Amanda Perry Hayes, 39, is also charged with first-degree murder.

Raleigh police haven't commented on a motive, but Ackerson's relatives say she and Hayes were involved in a child custody battle.

Thanks for the post, NCEast! R U back fer a spell, now? Hope so! :seeya:

So, PurpleHaze doesn't dig his free-e-e-e-ee attorney, huh? Did Freeman pitch copping a plea and Haze is feeling lucky? Is Freeman too bossy? Not falling down in fan frenzy in front of the Haze or just what? Hmmmm, I guess we'll never know. But it sounds like the jailhouse hasn't made Haze any too humble. (as if)

His gf needs to start talking...

"The objects, we believe, were floating, and that came up into the lily pads, (which) made it difficult," said Mark Thorsen, a member of the Houston Police Department's dive team. "It was a football field of lily pads and weeds and stuff like that that we had to go through to try to search."
Investigators on Tuesday positively identified the remains as those of Ackerson. They said they believe she was slain in North Carolina before her killers hauled her dismembered body in coolers to Texas for disposal.
Amanda Hayes' sister lives about 100 yards from a wooded area that includes Oyster Creek, and Texas authorities said that Grant and Amanda Hayes arrived in Richmond last Monday.
Investigators took a machete from the house, but Chief Deputy Craig Brady of the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office said he doubted that it was connected to the case.
"It's obvious from the remains that something other than a machete was also used, if the machete was used at all," Brady said.
Detectives also seized 124- and 75-quart ice chests from the house, and Brady said it appears Grant Hayes purchased five coolers in North Carolina in the days after Ackerson was reported missing.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9910196/

It was later discovered he purchased a saw and they have the receipt for it. Jagged edges were found in autopsy too. He used a saw. I say "he" because I don't think I have ever heard of a case where a woman dismembered a body.

At some point she will question her loyalty to him and cop a plea deal I hope.

It was later discovered he purchased a saw and they have the receipt for it. Jagged edges were found in autopsy too. He used a saw. I say "he" because I don't think I have ever heard of a case where a woman dismembered a body.

Bolded by me:

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/laura-hall-ordered-jailed-222215.html

This is an article before Laura Hall was actually re-convicted, but this article explains the murder of Jennifer Cave and Hall's alleged participation after the fact. Never say never.

Elisa Baker............

Posted: 12:27 PM Oct 17, 2011

Murdered Kinston Mom May Have Been Lured To Raleigh

Laura Ackerson's body was found back in July in a Texas creek, just days after the woman was reported missing.

Court documents indicate that a man accused of killing a Kinston mother may have lured her to his Raleigh apartment this summer.
Laura Ackerson's body was found back in July in a Texas creek, just days after the woman was reported missing. Ackerson's ex-boyfriend, Grant Hayes, and Hayes' wife have both been charged with her murder.

In new court documents, Raleigh police say Ackerson received an email from Hayes to visit their children at his apartment on July 13th. Police later found the woman's missing car nearby and then on July 24th her dismembered remains were discovered in Texas.

Investigators are seeking information from Hayes' Yahoo email to help their case. Court documents in Lenoir County show the couple were involved in a hotly contested custody dispute for their two children.

Hope everybody is well!

Posted: 12:27 PM Oct 17, 2011

Murdered Kinston Mom May Have Been Lured To Raleigh

Laura Ackerson's body was found back in July in a Texas creek, just days after the woman was reported missing.

Court documents indicate that a man accused of killing a Kinston mother may have lured her to his Raleigh apartment this summer.
Laura Ackerson's body was found back in July in a Texas creek, just days after the woman was reported missing. Ackerson's ex-boyfriend, Grant Hayes, and Hayes' wife have both been charged with her murder.

In new court documents, Raleigh police say Ackerson received an email from Hayes to visit their children at his apartment on July 13th. Police later found the woman's missing car nearby and then on July 24th her dismembered remains were discovered in Texas.

Investigators are seeking information from Hayes' Yahoo email to help their case. Court documents in Lenoir County show the couple were involved in a hotly contested custody dispute for their two children.

Hope everybody is well!

http://www.witn.com/news/headlines/..._Been_Lured_To_Raleigh_131989173.html?ref=173

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10267215/

The warrant for email records, which was released late Friday, says that Grant Ruffin Hayes, 32, used a Yahoo! email account to invite Laura Jean Ackerson, 27, of Kinston, to visit with the children on July 13.

"Every fact along the way will be important in determining premeditation and deliberation, among other things," the lead prosecutor in the case, Becky Holt, said Monday. "There's a lot of things to consider and a lot of things to take into account."

Monsters!! I wonder how their "friends" feel now about saying that no way would Grant do these things?

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8394730

Video coverage at link

Warrants: Hayes may have lured Ackerson
Monday, October 17, 2011

According to the warrant, "... It was determined that prior to her death, Laura Ackerson received a message from Grant Haze to visit the children at his residence on the evening of July 13, 2011."

Investigators found conversations between Ackerson and Hayes after searching various e-mail accounts. In the warrant made publice Monday, investigators say they're looking for "any other e-mails that may reveal planning or motivation for the murder of Laura Ackerson."

It just keeps getting worse and worse for him doesn't it.

Bumping for Laura, Grant Jr., and Gentle.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, although I'm a bit late. Too early yet for Merry Christmas. I am in serious withdrawals from WS and miss some of you terribly. Actually, I couldn't remember Laura Atkinson's name when I started to search....been away too long.
I was under the impression that the Raven Aboroa trial would have begun by now? Anyhow, don't want any more murders but will be happy when some action is in full swing on here again!

I doubt that anything will happen in the courts (major cases) until the first of the year. I believe they close down for the last 2 or 3 weeks in December as far a criminal trials. Maybe not all counties are the same but I know for sure at least 2 counties don't conduct criminal trials in December.

The DA is not going to seek the DP in this case. I want to know why. The news story below was via ABC news today, Dec. 15. If any case cries DP it is this one.

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Prosecutors said Thursday they will not seek the death penalty in the murder of a Kinston mother whose dismembered body was found in a Texas creek.
Thirty-two-year-old Grant Ruffin Hayes, and his wife, 39-year-old Amanda Perry Hayes, are charged with murder in connection with Laura Ackerson's death.
Ackerson's remains were found in Oyster Creek near Skinner Lane in Richmond, Texas this past July. Identification was made through dental records days later. The

27-year-old was reported missing on July 1, 2011. Texas deputies said they believed Ackerson was killed in North Carolina, and then dismembered, before her body was taken to Texas in coolers. The creek where the remains were found is near Amanda Hayes's sister's home.
Related Content

I do not understand why they will not seek the DP unless they are soft on criminals in NC. What are the statistics for DP cases in NC?

The DA is not going to seek the DP in this case. I want to know why. The news story below was via ABC news today, Dec. 15. If any case cries DP it is this one.

RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Prosecutors said Thursday they will not seek the death penalty in the murder of a Kinston mother whose dismembered body was found in a Texas creek.
Thirty-two-year-old Grant Ruffin Hayes, and his wife, 39-year-old Amanda Perry Hayes, are charged with murder in connection with Laura Ackerson's death.
Ackerson's remains were found in Oyster Creek near Skinner Lane in Richmond, Texas this past July. Identification was made through dental records days later. The

27-year-old was reported missing on July 1, 2011. Texas deputies said they believed Ackerson was killed in North Carolina, and then dismembered, before her body was taken to Texas in coolers. The creek where the remains were found is near Amanda Hayes's sister's home.
Related Content

I was stunned about the no DP too! Do they not have enough evidence on who actually killed her? Was it not premeditated? Yikes!!! moo

From WRAL.com this morning, Friday, Dec. 16. Sure wish ole Boz had shared more info about the writing sample evidence.
I am still very unhappy that the state will not seek the death penalty against these two. Hope I live long enough to watch the trial.....these things just seem to take forever.
Merry Christmas again to all of my Sleuthing buds!

Warrant: Suspect invited slain Kinston mom to visit children
WRAL.com archive: Laura Ackerson homicide

Raleigh, N.C. — Wake County prosecutors want handwriting samples from a Raleigh couple charged in the death of Kinston woman.

Grant Ruffin Haze, 32, and his wife, Amanda Perry Haze, 39, are charged in the July death of Laura Jean Ackerson.

Wake County Assistant District Attorney Boz Zellinger said Friday that the sample of a specific text could possibly "shed some light" on an item found during the investigation, but he did not go into detail about what that might be.

The couple is not legally obligated to comply with the state's request, but both consented.

Ackerson, 27, Grant Haze's ex-girlfriend and mother of two of his children, went missing in July, and her dismembered remains were found 11 days later in a creek about 60 miles south of Houston in Richmond, Texas – near the home of a relative of Amanda Hayes.

Investigators haven't offered a motive for Ackerson's death, but her relatives have said the couple was involved in a contentious child custody battle.

***Note the info about his last name***

From TRIANGLE NEWS 14

RALEIGH—The couple charged with killing a Kinston woman and dumping her dismembered body in a Texas creek were in court Friday.

Grant and Amanda Haze agreed to submit handwriting samples to prosecutors who believe it could shed light on an item found during the investigation. Prosecutors would not give any more details.

The couple is charged with killing Laura Ackerson. The 27-year-old mother disappeared in July before authorities found her remains in Texas near the home of Amanda Haze's family members.

In court, Grant Haze made a point to clarify the spelling of his name to the judge. Previous court records spell it as "H-A-Y-E-S."

"My legal name has always been H-A-Z-E. I've never had an alias. My name is H-A-Z-E." said Murder suspect Grant Haze.

Relatives have said Ackerson and Grant Haze were involved in a custody dispute over their two children.

I still say that Amanda's booking photo shows one scary looking lady!!

I wonder where the baby is now. Poor kids! I can't imagine losing parents to prison. I can't imagine how Laura's poor babies are doing now either. Who has her kids? Does Grant's mom still have custody?

This is from Kinston.com this morning--Sunday, Dec. 18 The judge who made the no death penalty ruling is the same judge who presided over the Jason Young trial--that ended in a hung jury.

Hayeses spared death penalty in Ackerson murder
Prosecution lacks ‘aggravating factors'
December 17, 2011 12:00 AM
Wesley Brown
Staff Writer

RALEIGH — A lack of “aggravating factors” in the murder of a Kinston mother whose dismembered remains were found in a Texas creek spared a Raleigh couple this week of the death penalty.

Grant Ruffin Hayes III, 32, and his 39-year-old wife Amanda Perry Hayes will not face a capital trial in the bludgeoning death of Laura Jean Ackerson, 27, Judge Donald Stephens announced this week in Wake County Superior Court.

Stephens opted against the Hayeses’ execution in favor of life in prison without parole upon learning state prosecutors did not have a case strong enough to justify the court’s harshest punishment.

While Ackerson’s homicide can be deemed as “especially heinous, atrocious, cruel or depraved,” one of a “grave risk” to one or more people other than the victim and a crime committed for “pecuniary gain” or to interfere with the lawful exercises, the Hayes do not qualify for a number of other crucial mitigating factors needed for a capital trial, prosecutors said.

Although the missing pieces were not specified, factors such as the victim being a government employee or the defendant having previously committed a violent felony or been incarcerated, on probation or a known fugitive in the past must also be present.

Hayes, along with his wife, Amanda — whom he had a third child with — remain in jail in Wake County indicted on charges of first-degree murder in the death of Ackerson.

Raleigh police haven’t commented about the case, but Texas authorities believe the Hayeses killed Ackerson, cut up her body and carried it in coolers to Richmond, Texas, where they disposed of her remains in Oyster Creek near the home of Amanda Hayes' sister a week later.

Ackerson and Hayes were involved in an acrimonious child custody dispute over their children, Grant III, 3, and Gentle Reign, 2, up until Ackerson’s death. Police, however, have not offered a motive, only referencing the custody dispute in search warrants.

Search warrants state Grant Hayes used a Yahoo email account to invite Ackerson to visit with their two young children on July 13 — the date detectives with the Raleigh Police Department contend Hayes, with the help of his wife Amanda, butchered Ackerson in a brutal homicide.

Court records have stated Ackerson was last seen alive that day dropping off her children before failing to meet up with a friend in Cary, as planned.

Work associates of Ackerson’s reported her missing five days later, and her remains were found July 24 in a creek in about 60 miles south of Houston, Texas.

Grant Hayes' mother — Patsy Hayes, of Kinston — is caring for her sons’ three children. Ackerson's father has said he plans to seek custody of his daughter's children.

Wesley Brown can be reached at 252-559-1075 or wbrown@freedomenc.com.

Related Content

Hi, East! :seeya: I wonder if it could be that they have no way of knowing who actually committed the murder in which case a jury might be reluctant to agree on the DP for one & think that possibly the other jury might not agree on the DP for the other (since I can only assume the trials will be separate.)

Just wild guessin' .. :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member