4 kids die in Ohio mobile home fire; baby is saved

Dark Knight

Reaction score
ST. PARIS, Ohio – A fire at a mobile home killed four young children before dawn Saturday, but two adult relatives escaped through a window with a baby before running to neighbors for help, screaming, "My kids are burning!"

Toby Fox was at his kitchen table with friends when Phillip Skaggs Jr., the father of one of the children who perished, yanked open the front door.

"He just kept yelling, 'They're burning. My kids are burning. Please hurry,'" Fox said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090321/ap_on_re_us/fatal_fire_four_dead

ST. PARIS, Ohio – A fire at a mobile home killed four young children before dawn Saturday, but two adult relatives escaped through a window with a baby before running to neighbors for help, screaming, "My kids are burning!"

Toby Fox was at his kitchen table with friends when Phillip Skaggs Jr., the father of one of the children who perished, yanked open the front door.

"He just kept yelling, 'They're burning. My kids are burning. Please hurry,'" Fox said.

Often times I don't comment on 'fire' stories. I have my own horror story of a home fire. It was more than 35 years ago I lost my first husband in a home fire. I wasn't there that night, I was on a short vacation with our 3 month old baby, staying with my husband's sister and family, doing Xmas shopping in San Francisco. I said if only I'd been home, it wouldn't have happened. But the fire dept said, 'no, the baby would have died first.'

I didn't watch tv for a year,.........couldn't stand the thought that I'd go on with life, without my husband. But it was when I started watching tv again, I saw the first advertisements for home fire alarms, First Alert. I sat down and cried, knowing that would have saved my husband.

I can't tell anyone who reads this, how important it is to make sure you have WORKING SMOKE ALARMS in your house. It doesn't take much to start a fire and for a few dollars, you can save your's and everyone in the house, life.

So sad...............this didn't have to end this way. Those poor children and that poor family. :(

Tragic,
fran

An electrical malfunction hadn't been ruled out as a cause of the fire, and an electrical engineer would examine the home on Monday, Cartmill said. The home had a fire detector that wasn't functioning, he said.

Fran, I am so sorry for your loss. Your story prompted me to check our 2 smoke detectors, and guess what, BOTH need new batteries. Thank you!

This is the 3rd story I have read this week that involved people dying in fires! I cannot imagine!

Often times I don't comment on 'fire' stories. I have my own horror story of a home fire. It was more than 35 years ago I lost my first husband in a home fire. I wasn't there that night, I was on a short vacation with our 3 month old baby, staying with my husband's sister and family, doing Xmas shopping in San Francisco. I said if only I'd been home, it wouldn't have happened. But the fire dept said, 'no, the baby would have died first.'

I didn't watch tv for a year,.........couldn't stand the thought that I'd go on with life, without my husband. But it was when I started watching tv again, I saw the first advertisements for home fire alarms, First Alert. I sat down and cried, knowing that would have saved my husband.

I can't tell anyone who reads this, how important it is to make sure you have WORKING SMOKE ALARMS in your house. It doesn't take much to start a fire and for a few dollars, you can save your's and everyone in the house, life.

So sad...............this didn't have to end this way. Those poor children and that poor family. :(

Tragic,
fran

An electrical malfunction hadn't been ruled out as a cause of the fire, and an electrical engineer would examine the home on Monday, Cartmill said. The home had a fire detector that wasn't functioning, he said.

I'm very sorry to hear about your first husband. I always worry I couldn't get all my kids out. When I was young our house burned, thankfully no one was home. In a fire investigation class I took. We were taught to take a match, light it then blow it out, holding close to the smoke alarm to make sure it works. And I always change the batteries every time the time changes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back