Death Penalty Vs Life in Prison and Why

do you want Casey to get the death penalty?

• yes

Votes: 106 59.2%
  • no

Votes: 73 40.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the DP magically became less expensive overnight, I would still be opposed to it. Killing people just isn't something I can get behind.
But just to be a pill and throw some fodder out there for people to get on me about ( as if i don;t provide enough) I do understand passionate murder to a degree. What I mean by that is, if i walked in and found someone raping my baby and I had a gun in my hand, I am quite sure i wouldn't hesitate to shoot to kill.
However, were this person brought to trial i would not support methodically putting them to death after giving it much thought and deliberation.
I am well aware that this is inconsistent and paradoxical, but I am just being honest.

I don't think that is paradoxical or inconsistent at all (and I would also be opposed to the death penalty regardless of cost).

The first death you describe is an instant and un-premeditated reaction to another crime. It is also defending an innocent child being brutalized.

The other death is a calculated and cold sentence that would be pronounced as punishment. Many think it is institutional murder and a hypocrisy, particularly if it is punishment itself for the crime of killing. It is rather Old Testament (vs the forgiving one's enemies standpoint of the New), although the old "eye for an eye" was considered an improvement at the time (it was kinder and gentler than a family feud and at least kept the direct punishment to the offender). Ancient societies saw it as the ultimate in measured justice.

We know more about criminal behavior now and are working toward seeing it as perhaps a combination of genetic and environmental causes, which of course does not excuse behavior, but it might just call for a measure of compassion.

I do not believe criminals should be allowed to repeat their crimes or enjoy life in society in any way. I believe in restorative justice as well and think that convicted criminals should pay their way and not have cushy cells and perks that many average taxpaying citizens cannot afford.

But I also think that killing a person does not prevent crime, teach any lessons and can also leave in its wake a family to suffer even more. If anything, I would like to see the wishes of the victim's family honored as to sentence if the DP was not altogether abolished as it is in most developed nations. JMHO

After seeing/hearing how Susan Smith has handled her time in prison after killing her two boys I would want the death penalty for Casey (Susan too but to late for that). My problem with life is that people like this do NOT sit in prison thinking about what they have done, feeling guilt for the ones they killed or even care about anyone other than themselves. So how is that punishment? For me it isn't. I look at the cases case by case and some I would say life is plenty (Andrea Yates for example). I really, truly do not believe for one second that Casey will ever feel any guilt for what she did........she will only feel sorry for being caught and maybe even more hatred for Caylee because Caylee "caused all of this". If a person has no soul, no moral convictions, then what good is life when death is the highest punishment that would sink into their egos and make them realize they were wrong?!?

After seeing/hearing how Susan Smith has handled her time in prison after killing her two boys I would want the death penalty for Casey (Susan too but to late for that). My problem with life is that people like this do NOT sit in prison thinking about what they have done, feeling guilt for the ones they killed or even care about anyone other than themselves. So how is that punishment? For me it isn't. I look at the cases case by case and some I would say life is plenty (Andrea Yates for example). I really, truly do not believe for one second that Casey will ever feel any guilt for what she did........she will only feel sorry for being caught and maybe even more hatred for Caylee because Caylee "caused all of this". If a person has no soul, no moral convictions, then what good is life when death is the highest punishment that would sink into their egos and make them realize they were wrong?!?

I understand where you are coming from, but we have no proof that executing people makes them realize anything either. It just makes us feel better. For some people life in prison is torture, for some, they get used to it. Some people would rather die than live a life behind bars, some are happy to be alive. I'd say it's too hard to predict ahead of time what would be interpreted as punishment for any individual. But never getting out of prison and being free to vote, eat at a restaurant, have a family and live a normal life is as close to punishing someone as we can, save committing an act ourselves that is similar to what put them there to begin with.

I understand where you are coming from, but we have no proof that executing people makes them realize anything either. It just makes us feel better. For some people life in prison is torture, for some, they get used to it. Some people would rather die than live a life behind bars, some are happy to be alive. I'd say it's too hard to predict ahead of time what would be interpreted as punishment for any individual. But never getting out of prison and being free to vote, eat at a restaurant, have a family and live a normal life is as close to punishing someone as we can, save committing an act ourselves that is similar to what put them there to begin with.

I can understand that too. I just don't like the idea of Casey sitting in a cell having a guard "protect" her and her living it up with people supporting her by sending her money for life. IF Casey had shown some remorse or regret for what she has done then I would be all for life, however she hasn't and I predict that she never will. If she does eventually in the future (say at trial) then I would have to wonder if it is all just fake tears like she has done in the past.

I never was one for the DP...and even now I wouldn't want to be on the jury that has to consider it. But, this case has changed me. If the jury finds her guilty...which only confirms what I have felt to be true all along...I have no problem with her receiving the DP. All I have to do is close my eyes and see Caylee singing, and know in my heart that justice will have been served.

ETA: Life is fine as well...if the jury of her peers decides that. I just don't know how I'll be able to reconcile anything less.

I think she should get life. I'm all for the death penalty in some cases, but for some reason I think she should get life. Heck, that is like death.. She is young and she would have to spend the rest of her life in a prison.

I think she should get life. I'm all for the death penalty in some cases, but for some reason I think she should get life. Heck, that is like death.. She is young and she would have to spend the rest of her life in a prison.
Hi paperdoll. :blowkiss: looking forward to seeing you soon I hope.

I like the idea of the guilty all living together in prison.

Hi JBeano :blowkiss: long time no see.. I'm hoping to see you soon as well. :blowkiss: I miss everyone

I never was one for the DP...and even now I wouldn't want to be on the jury that has to consider it. But, this case has changed me. If the jury finds her guilty...which only confirms what I have felt to be true all along...I have no problem with her receiving the DP. All I have to do is close my eyes and see Caylee singing, and know in my heart that justice will have been served.

ETA: Life is fine as well...if the jury of her peers decides that. I just don't know how I'll be able to reconcile anything less.

O/T There is an advert on TV of a little girl singing in the back of a car playing with a phone toy or something and she goes, "Oh, oh!". Always reminds me. Sigh.

Thank you. Everyone here has a great point of view that I absolutely respect. That being said I would like to share mine. Someone above pointed out that the DP isn't a deterrent I agree but I also don't think prison is a deterrent either as our prisons are overflowing more and more each day, we have also seen it over and over again with repeat offenders. We can not trust that if one is given LIFE that it will mean LIFE as some politician may come along some year and free prisoners. Yes our justice system is very broken and I sure don't know how to fix it. When I was 8 years old my 17 year old cousin was murdered and I am sure she suffered terribly as she was strangled with a lamp cord. I am 53 now and not one day goes by that I don't think about her. Her murderer served a measly 5 years. If it had been up to me the DP would have been to good for him but never the less I would have gladly pulled the switch myself. As for KC the DP is also to good for her but I also don't think prison will bother her one bit. She will adjust to prison life just fine simply because of the way her mind works. So I just wish I knew what button to push to make her suffer the rest of her wretched life. If she were to be sentenced to life or the DP it will be ok with me. My biggest fear is that she will walk on the murder charge.
All of this is just my opinion and thank you for allowing me to express it.

O/T There is an advert on TV of a little girl singing in the back of a car playing with a phone toy or something and she goes, "Oh, oh!". Always reminds me. Sigh.

I have seen that and wondered if it was modeled after Caylee. She is also singing You Are My Sunshine. Makes me very sad but at the same time she is such a cute little girl just like Caylee was. Sorry for being OT.

I am opposed to the DP. Not because of costs, deterrant ability or disability, or any religious qualms.

I'm opposed because I don't believe the state has the right to kill someone. No matter the crime. They certainly should have the right to remove that person from the population in terms of locking them away, both as punishment as a loss of their right to live freely, and as protection for the rest of the population from further offenses. But I do not believe nor condone the right of the "justice" system to take any person's life. That is not for us to decide.

It is not justice; it is vengeance (IMO). For some victims' families, it is no closure at all. For others wrongly convicted, you can't come back from the dead if the state later says "Oopsie".

In terms of this specific case - I would be even more uncomfortable with the DP given all the things we do not yet know (and may never know) about how Caylee died. If KC did not directly cause her death, but did so indirectly or neglectfully, or simply concealed that the death occured following an accident.. no, not comfortable with that.

Let her rot.

You know, I minored in Theology in college, and I just throw this out there for consideration (it is not an indication of my personal religious beliefs).

For those that support the death penalty, what if there is no after-life? If we sentence Casey to death, doesn't she win because she has a quick and painless death - never to know or feel long term suffering and wasting away into old age?

Without a belief in an afterlife, does the rationale for the death penalty as the ultimate punishment still survive?

When the initiative was put on the ballot here in California many years ago to reinstate the death penalty, I supported it and voted for it. That said, I feel that both sides have good arguments for their position on this issue.

In this case, I would be satisfied if Casey were given either the DP or LWOP. I feel that she should never, ever, be free again. No matter what punishment she receives, I doubt she will ever feel remorse for what she did. She may cry for herself, but never for Caylee or anyone else. She's a cold, heartless, sociopath with no capacity for remorse. She will always blame someone else for her being in prison.

It would be punishment for Casey to be confined to a prison cell, locked away from the society she wants to be part of - no more talking/texting on a cell phone for hours, no more parties, no more boyfriends, no more dancing, no more of anything outside the walls of her cell.

When the initiative was put on the ballot here in California many years ago to reinstate the death penalty, I supported it and voted for it. That said, I feel that both sides have good arguments for their position on this issue.

In this case, I would be satisfied if Casey were given either the DP or LWOP. I feel that she should never, ever, be free again. No matter what punishment she receives, I doubt she will ever feel remorse for what she did. She may cry for herself, but never for Caylee or anyone else. She's a cold, heartless, sociopath with no capacity for remorse. She will always blame someone else for her being in prison.

It would be punishment for Casey to be confined to a prison cell, locked away from the society she wants to be part of - no more talking/texting on a cell phone for hours, no more parties, no more boyfriends, no more dancing, no more of anything outside the walls of her cell.

Bolded by me

I thought the same thing about Susan Smith, until it came out that she had "boyfriends" in prison that were taking care of her (prison guards). I feel that the same would happen with Casey. I don't feel that Casey would suffer enough with life and for what she did (I think that she is guilty) she should suffer and pay the ultimate price. No child should ever have to fear their parents or worry about "mom" or "dad" killing them. To think that Caylee knew that "mommy" did this to her breaks my heart completely. I feel the same way about Susan Smith, her boys knew that "mommy" was killing them and for that she deserves to rot in hell not a jail cell.

RH, you bring up a good point. I'm not sure that I believe in heaven and an afterlife. I do know that I do not believe that Casey should be allowed to breathe another breath, eat anymore junk food, listen to anymore radio stations or have anymore friends/visitors. She lost those rights when she took the life of her daughter, the one person that should have been able to trust and depend on her more than any other person.

MOO

You know, I minored in Theology in college, and I just throw this out there for consideration (it is not an indication of my personal religious beliefs).

For those that support the death penalty, what if there is no after-life? If we sentence Casey to death, doesn't she win because she has a quick and painless death - never to know or feel long term suffering and wasting away into old age?

Without a belief in an afterlife, does the rationale for the death penalty as the ultimate punishment still survive?

Well, without an afterlife, it would seem even more of a punishment, in that it would completely extinguish one's existence in any way shape or form. While that might circumvent the spiritual possibilities many religions provide (in which clemency or mercy are both generally considered available and in which reincarnation is an available option in some), it could seem to be as cruel as it is swift. It might even mitigate the crime that would normally be punished in the afterlife, if the state itself sanctions the same crime as justice.

I guess it all comes down to whether or not suffering (whether in life or in the afterlife) is more valuable a commodity than the supposed peace of non-existence. I think we'd still be back at the same subjective interpretation of what is justice, and it would depend on what we define as the ultimate in suffering.

I'm not sure what makes KC and others suffer or not and how that might relate to justice. To me, justice is removing a blight from society and its causing further harm, but it stops short of using what, in an individual, would constitute premeditated murder. And for those who do believe in an afterlife, there is generally karma or a God to answer to for sins.

Life

I do not support the Death Penalty.

No civilised society can justify the Death Penalty.

Sometimes I grapple with what the "Life sentance" should look like.

I can't afford to be university educated. Should people in prison put away for dreadful crimes have access to these things?

Always a lively topic!
There are strong feelings in the forum as to what KC deserves if found guilty of murder 1.

Feel free to debate and challenge one another but remember TOS and attack the post and not the poster.
An interesting aside that may be important to the discussion issomething Rhornsby posted. he said that in FL, there is only life in prison as opposed to LWOP or life.

IOW, A life sentence means a life sentence period.
I had known this already, that life meant life in FL. IMO - if KC received life in prison, that wouldn't bother me at all. IMO while she's in jail, she's thinking she'll eventually have her life back. I'm hoping that it all comes crashing down on her head. As young as she is, spending the rest of her life in prison would be a great punishment for her. No more boyfriends, no more Fusian, no more partying, no more texting, no more cooking "frozen chicken" and having freezer pops (what a combination), no more social life. Spending the rest of her life in prison being isolated, outcast and labeled as a child killer would be punishment enough for her IMO.

No. I don't believe in life after death. I think when you are dead, you are dead. Period. You don't go up to be judge by your maker, you don't go to heaven or hell, you just go into the ground and your body rots away. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

KC does not feel remorse. It is not in her makeup. She will feel sorry for herself whether she gets life or death but not for the child who's life she took.

KC wins if she is allowed to spend her life in prison. She will adapt quite well. She will continue to have protection because someone will take her out in prison if she doesn't. Someone will continue to give her money for snacks and makeup. She has already shown her ability to adapt to prison with the time that she has been in jail.

We always want to rehabilitate criminals. Our mentality is that we can make them all better. How many times, I wonder, does that really work? How many times do we let them out of prison and they immediately reoffend? Are we really trying to help them or are we trying to make ourselves feel better? Do they really sit in prison and think "If I hadn't done this terrible thing, I would not be here now. May God forgive me." I don't think so.

I believe that there are some crimes where the only appropriate punishment is death. In KC's case, if it is proved that she killed her child in other than an accident, then the appropriate punishment is death.

The death penalty is not about vengence or revenge but it sounds good to those who oppose it. It is about punishing someone for a heinous crime. The crime of taking someone else's life. The ultimate crime deserves the ultimate punishment. What is sad is that we in society have made it a long drawn out process. It takes years when it should be carried out swiftly.

Beside, if I was full of christian charity, which I am probably not, which is more humane? Death or life in prison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie