CA CA - Lompoc, WhtFem 16-25, 205UFCA, overbite, horseshoe earrings, Aug'69

Richard

Reaction score
Unidentified White Female
Located on August 3, 1969 near a quarry on Highway 1, south of Lompoc, Santa Barbara County, California.
The victim died from multiple stab wounds and a slit throat.

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 16 - 25 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"; 125 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder-length brown hair dyed a reddish blonde; blue eyes. She had pierced ears.
Dentals: Available. She had current dental work and "buck teeth". 19 fillings done within the year or two preceding her death. Based on her dental work, investigators surmised that she may have come from abroad.
Clothing: She was wearing sandals with a gold colored buckle, a blue blouse and what appeared to be homemade white pants decorated with a blue floral print, they were hip hugger bell bottons. The clothing appeared consistent with that worn by youth during this time period. She wore horseshoe shaped gold earrings.
Fingerprints: Available. (Poor quality)
Pants Daisy Pattern and Victim's Bucked Teeth

Case History
The victim lay a few feet down an embankment, her body dragged there across dust and scrub brush and dumped behind a cluster of rocks within sight of old Highway 1.
Investigators believe she was killed there. She was stabbed numerous times.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department
Cold Case Unit Detective Charles Cooley 805-681-4150
mailto:rcc0505@sbsheriff.org</B>

NCIC Number: U-763720372
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information
Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department
The Associated Press
The Doe Network: Case File 205UFCA

Link:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/205ufca.html

Serial killer John Norman Collins, of Michigan, was visiting California in June and July of 1969. It is believed that he murdered a 17-year-old girl named Roxie Ann Phillips on 30 June. She was from Milwaukie, Oregon and was visiting relatives in Salinas, CA before continuing on to Lompoc, CA, where she was to meet up with her father and stepmother.

Collins was in the area with a friend, Andrew Manuel. They had driven out from Michigan and were staying in a stolen camping trailer. Collins drove a shiny gray or silver Oldsmobile with black interior and Michigan plates. The car was later taken into evidence in Michigan. Although he had cleaned it very thoroughly, traces of type O blood were found in it when police checked it on 5 August 1969.

It was known conclusively that Collins had met Roxie Phillips and had driven her to the home where she was staying in Salinas. He even went into the house with her and met another resident of the house. Although nobody saw him with Roxie on the day of her murder, later evidence tied him to the crime. Roxie was strangled to death with a piece of her clothing, and a piece of that same clothing was found in Collins' car. Roxie's body was found in a ravine near Carmel on 13 July 1969. Some of her personal items were found in various places along the route 68 roadside.

Roxie Ann Phillips was five feet six inches tall, weighed 130 pounds, hazel eyes, fair skin, shoulder-length coppery blond hair. She was last seen wearing a short red pants dress with small white floral design, matching fabric belt, full sleeves with white cuffs, white collar, white sandals, and carrying a large straw tote bag. When her body was found, she was wearing only the white sandals, and had a portion of her cloth belt wrapped around her neck.

Collins is known to have murdered seven young women and girls in the Ann Arbor area of Michigan between 1967 and 1969. Collins disposed of his victims in places where they would be found fairly easily.

Andrew Manuel had family connections in California and friends in Arizona. The two men parked their stolen camping trailer on the property of a relative of Manuel and left it behind when they left the Salinas area. They drove back to Michigan together, but it is not known what route they took.

Collins and Manuel returned to Michigan from their California visit by 23 July 1969, the date of his last known Michigan murder. Manuel left Michigan almost immediately afterward, taking a bus first to California, and next to Phoenix, AZ where he was picked up on 6 Aug 1969.

The Lompoc Jane Doe was discovered on 3 August 1969. Could she have been murdered before 23 July? Lompoc, CA was just down the road from Salinas, and it was the intended destination of Roxie Phillips. It is possible that Roxie spoke of Lompoc to Collins. Collins liked to taunt families of his Michigan victims. Could he have gone to Lompoc to do that?

The case summary indicates that the Lompoc Jane Doe's throat was cut and that she had numerous stab wounds. This is consistant with wounds found on some of Collins' known vicitms. A knife with a four inch blade belonging to Collins was taken into evidence by Michigan police, but it had been wiped clean of any prints or blood.

Collins is currently incarcerated in Marquette Prison in Michigan on a Life Sentence for Murder. The current wherabouts of Andrew Manuel are not known.

The below information comes from the Michigan Inmate Locator. Click on the link at the end to see photo and some sentencing information. Collins was called "The Co-ed Murderer" and his crimes are sometimes refered to as "The Michigan Murders".

----------------------------

Name: John Norman Collins
Michigan DOC Number: 126833
SID number 0638739H
Race: White
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Height: 6' 0"
weight: 224 lbs.
Date of birth: 6/17/1947 (58)
Photo taken: 3/15/2005
MDOC STATUS
Current Status:
Prisoner Earliest Release Date: LIFE
Assigned Location: Marquette Branch Prison
Maximum Discharge Date: LIFE
Security Level: V

Source Information:
Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) - Offender Profile
Link:
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber=126833

richard;;;thats a pretty good post i read about that collins man on a other site....if iam not mistaken i think some people has tryed to tag this case to zodiac killer too how successfull they are i don't know

gardenmom said:
Did they ever link the type O blood to either of those girls?
The Trace blood found in Collins' car on 5 August 1969 was never matched specifically to anyone. This was in the days before anyone knew about DNA. But Blood type was often considered when trying to tie a criminal to a crime.

Of Collins' seven known Michigan victims, only one - Alison Kalom, murdered the evening of 8 June or very early morning 9 June 1969 - had type O blood.

Police in Salinas, CA took blood samples from Roxie Phillips, but they did not keep them and did not type them, so her blood type was unknown. I do not know if the Lompoc Jane Doe's blood was typed, but if later DNA samples were obtained from her and IF Michigan State Police still have a sample of that Type O blood to test...

The below information comes from the official website of the Santa Barbara County Sheriff Office. Note that no eye color is mentioned and that the body had to be exhumed and the skull used by a forensic artist to obtain the composite of her possible appearance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
On Sunday, August 3, 1969 the body of a murder victim was found by hunters near a quarry on Highway 1, south of Lompoc. The victim's identity was not established following a lengthy investigation, hence the "Jane Doe" identity. She died from multiple stab wounds.

Jane Doe is described as being a white female between 16-25 years of age, approximately 5'4" tall, about 125 pounds and medium-brown colored shoulder length hair. Jane Doe had pierced ears, current dental work and most notably, "bucked teeth". Jane Doe was wearing what appeared to be home-made clothing with a flower print. The clothing appeared consistent with that worn by youth during this time period.

Jane Doe's remains were buried at the Lompoc Cemetery in 1969. In 2001, Sheriff Department Detectives exhumed Jane Doe's remains. Tissue samples were obtained for DNA comparison purposes. Jane Doe's skull and jaw were sent to a Forensic Reconstruction Artist, who created a rendition of Jane Doe's appearance.

Link:

http://www.sbsheriff.org/mw/janedoe.html

welder 79 said:
richard;;;thats a pretty good post i read about that collins man on a other site....if iam not mistaken i think some people has tryed to tag this case to zodiac killer too how successfull they are i don't know
I have not seen any previous connections between Lompoc Jane Doe and Zodiac, although you make a good point and such a connection might be possible.

Zodiac was operating in the Vallejo, CA area about this same time and on 5 July 1969, committed one of his better documented/witnessed attacks. He shot two people that day, and one survived to describe him to police. His next known attack took place on 27 September 1969, at Lake Berryessa, CA, when he again attacked two people (this time with a knife). Again, one of the victims survived to describe him.

Zodiac began his series of letters and messages to the newspapers on 31 July 1969, only three days before this girl in Lompoc was discovered. However, he never mentioned her or claimed credit for her killing.

From his first suspected murder in 1966 through the end of 1969, all of Zodiac's victims were clothed. Beginning in March 1970, and continuing on through out his reign of terror, most of his victims were found without clothes, or only partially clothed.

Hollow said:
This Jane Doe resembles Dixie Lee Arenson, from doe network case file 1734dfca, disappeared August 1968.
Yes, there is a resemblence, and most of the description seems to fit. I have a problem connecting them for two reasons; first the circumstances of her disappearance seem to indicate that a forcible abduction took place on 25 August 1968, and second that the discovery of Lompoc Jane Doe was almost a full year later on 3 August 1969.

This is one of those instances, where it would be worth while questioning whether or not the "missing date" is correct.

John Norman Collins: The Co-Ed Killer -- from Crime Library

The First Body
"A body found yesterday afternoon on a Superior Township farm was tentatively identified as that of a 19-year-old Eastern Michigan University coed who disappeared without a trace July 9."This report in the Ann Arbor News on Tuesday, August 8th, 1967 described the first of a string of coed murders in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor area of Michigan over the next two years. The body was that of Mary Fleszar, 19, who was last seen by a roommate when she left their apartment near the university campus to go for a walk. She was wearing a bright orange tent dress with large white polka dots, and a pair of sandals. She was five foot two, weighing about 110 pounds, wore glasses, and had brown hair. She had not taken her purse, but her car keys were gone, and her car was parked across from where she normally left it, which her mother thought was odd....

Link:
http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/predators/collins/body_1.html

Richard;;; i would only take that zodiac point of view lightly, some people got zodiac up like some kind of super mass murder..they have tryed to pin every murder from jack the ripper to the present on him..mostly if you notice go right back to please buy my book then i will explain everything and then they can't and then buy my next better book or pay for my web page...there people is or trying to make a very good living off this zodiac nut. i been on that zodiac killer web site and some of them people run's it can't produce no fact's or evidence but they say they expert's and everybody else is to dumb to get out of the rain..my thought's are police knowed who he was! he's dead! police never could get enough evidence to arrest him!! ... THIS only my PERSONAL THOUGHT"S on the matter.. shame on people try to make a living off some poor people that got killed and the keeping there family upset clear to this day they even called 1 family member such bad name's i will not repeat them on this site...this is only my personal thought's

welder 79 said:
i would only take that zodiac point of view lightly, some people got zodiac up like some kind of super mass murder..they have tryed to pin every murder from jack the ripper to the present on him..
One technique or option to cold case investigators is to take a look at some serial killers who may have been in the area and look for similarities in their MO and that of the unsolved crime. You obviously cannot do this with blinders on. There are many other possibilities. But you have to look at each of them, and seriously consider the possibility that a given murder might have been the work of a known serial killer.

The problem is that serial killers seldom walk around with a nametag identifying them. A few, like Bundy, Rifkin, Gaskins, and other such maggots were proud of their work, but seldom would give up all of their victims, prefering to play games right up to the end. Many more serial killers are in jail on only one conviction. Police might suspect them of other killngs, but could not prove it with the evidence. These should be better profiled and their past travels made known.

I agree, there are those who tend to see all evidence in any crime as fitting their favorite suspect. You have to put each possible suspect through that sort of scrutiny, but in the end you have to weigh the pros and cons, and keep the mind open to other possibilities as well.

If you read the links on Collins, you will see that Michigan Police thought the (then still unidentified) "Co-ed Killer" had struck again in early July 1969. But careful investigating proved that a recently released convict had killed the girl. He had been in prison when the first two killings in the series occurred. Shortly after that man's arrest, Collins was captured and it became aparent that he had actually been in California when that one Michigan murder had taken place.

Richard said:
One technique or option to cold case investigators is to take a look at some serial killers who may have been in the area and look for similarities in their MO and that of the unsolved crime. You obviously cannot do this with blinders on. There are many other possibilities. But you have to look at each of them, and seriously consider the possibility that a given murder might have been the work of a known serial killer.

The problem is that serial killers seldom walk around with a nametag identifying them. A few, like Bundy, Rifkin, Gaskins, and other such maggots were proud of their work, but seldom would give up all of their victims, prefering to play games right up to the end. Many more serial killers are in jail on only one conviction. Police might suspect them of other killngs, but could not prove it with the evidence. These should be better profiled and their past travels made known.

I agree, there are those who tend to see all evidence in any crime as fitting their favorite suspect. You have to put each possible suspect through that sort of scrutiny, but in the end you have to weigh the pros and cons, and keep the mind open to other possibilities as well.

If you read the links on Collins, you will see that Michigan Police thought the (then still unidentified) "Co-ed Killer" had struck again in early July 1969. But careful investigating proved that a recently released convict had killed the girl. He had been in prison when the first two killings in the series occurred. Shortly after that man's arrest, Collins was captured and it became aparent that he had actually been in California when that one Michigan murder had taken place.
I personally know very little about you Richard but what you have posted i read with great interest. i think you really know a lot about this type of investigation work. and i highly respect your opinion and look forward to reading your post...about all i can say is you need a little pat on the back every once in a while and keep up the very good work you do. because i think it's very good work:clap: and hopefully i will learn a little from you.

There was a recent television show about the trial of a man who was linked by DNA to one of the young women believed to be a Collins Victim. The man was convicted based on DNA alone, although there was other DNA on the victim which was linked to a man who was only a small child at the time.

Does anyone have any links to that story?

While I have nothing to add re: John Norman Collins and how many persons he may or may not have murdered, the one thing that strikes me about him is how normal looking he is, as was, of course, Ted Bundy.

Where is Andrew Manuel today? He accompanied John Norman Collins on a cross country trip from Michigan to California in June of 1969. They parked their stolen camping trailer at the home of one of Manuel's relatives (an elderly man) and left it behind when they returned to Michigan.

Manuel returned to California by bus and was in the area (Salinas) for a while before traveling on to Arizona where he was picked up on 6 August 1969.

Andrew Manuel was given lenient treatment by the Michigan State Police in return for his assistance and testimony in the Murder Case against Collins. He claimed to be completely ignorant and innocent of any of the Michigan murders. But could he actually have known much more, and perhaps been a willing accomplice of Collins? Could he have returned to California to get rid of evidence?

The origional Doenetwork case file did not list an estimated date of death (seem my first post). It now lists 29 July 1969 as the estimated date of her murder. Did Manuel murder the Lompoc Jane Doe while back in California? The 29 July date would make it quite possible.

------------------------------------------------
San Francisco Chronicle August 6, 1969 - front page
Michigan Suspect Linked Directly to Salinas Case
By George Murphy
Chronicle Correspondent

Salinas
John Norman Collins, charged with the most recent of seven coed slayings in Michigan, was linked directly as a suspect yesterday in the murder of a Salinas teenager.

The handsome 22-year-old student who police said had "a magnetic effect on young girls," met and made a date with a close friend of Roxie Ann Phillips, 17, the day before Miss Phillips disappeared June 30, investigators learned.

Miss Phillips' nude body was found with a red belt around her neck near Carmel July 13. She had been strangled to death and, as with several of the Michigan victims, one earring was missing.

Monterey County Sheriff's Detective Darol Smith said "Roxie Ann was well aware of the existence of Collins."

Captain Smith said Collins "picked up" Nancy Albrecht, 17, a visitor from Fort Worth and a friend of Miss Phillips, on Pajaro street in Salinas June 29.

He drove her to the home of her sister and brother-in-law, where she was staying, and spent 30 minutes talking with Miss Albrecht and her sister, Frances Gautier, Smith disclosed.

He said Collins told them he was attending Eastern Michigan University and had come to Salinas in a house trailer he was "living with friends."

Captain Smith said Miss Albrect later told Miss Phillips about her meeting with Collins and described him and his car to her.

The next day, Miss Phillips disappeared. On that day, too, Collins was to have a date with Miss Albrect, but he never showed up and she never saw him again.

Trailer

The house trailer was found Friday behind the Salinas home of the grandfather of Andrew Manuel, 24, known to have come with Collins to California from Ypsilanti, Mich.
Police and FBI agents are searching for Manuel, a 6-foot-1, 235-pound Filipino-American with a tattoo, possibly of an eagle, on his left forearm.

Michigan State Police Sergeant Ken Christensen sent to Salinas for the investigation, said he "felt certain" Manuel "could be helpful."

LA

Christensen said he and his associate, Detective Tom Nasser, would probably go to Los Angeles later this week to investigate the June 23 murder of Virginia Lynn Smith, 13.
She was killed in much the same manner as the seven Michigan coeds and Miss Phillips.

Collins and Manuel left Ypsilanti, with their trailer, on June 21, and returned sometime in July, police said.

Miss Phillips, Miss Smith and a still-unidentified girl whose murdered body was found near Salinas, were killed between June 17 and July 16.

Christensen described Collins as "a very handsome, clean-cut attractive young man who seems to have a magnetic effect on young girls."

He was arrested in Michigan Friday and charged with the murder of Karen Sue Beineman, an Eastern Michigan University student.

The Ann Arbor News reported yesterday that a witness told police Collins was the driver of a car that picked up Joan Schell shortly before she became the second victim in the string of seven Michigan coed killings.

The victims were all found nude, sexually mutilated and had one of their earrings missing.

The FBI entered the case when a Federal fugitive warrant was issued for Manuel for failing to return the rented trailer.

Christensen and Detective Nasser examined the trailer, but would not disclose their findings — if any.

Smith said the police believed Manuel was "without money and without any means of transportation."

In San Jose, Chief of Detective Barton Collins said "I'd like to talk with Andrew Manuel" about the murder of Gay Furlong, 14, and Kathy Snoozy, 15.

The bodies of the girls were found savagely stabbed to death Sunday night on a San Jose hillside.

"I'd like to talk to anyone who could tell me anything about how hese two kids were killed," the San Jose chief said.

He would not speculate, however, on any link between the deaths and those of Miss Phillips and the unidentified Salinas girl.

Michigan Suspect Linked to Salinas Case - SFC 8/6/69

LINK:

http://www.maebrussell.com/1960s%20Terror/Michigan%20Suspect%20Linked%20to%20Salinas%20Case.html

Richard said:
Where is Andrew Manuel today? He accompanied John Norman Collins on a cross country trip from Michigan to California in June of 1969. They parked their stolen camping trailer at the home of one of Manuel's relatives (an elderly man) and left it behind when they returned to Michigan.

Manuel returned to California by bus and was in the area (Salinas) for a while before traveling on to Arizona where he was picked up on 6 August 1969.
Here is an update on where Andrew Manuel has been (from the Federal Inmate Locator):
Name Register - Inmate Number - Age - Race - Sex - Release Date (Actual/Projected) Location

1. ANDREW PAUL MANUEL 01845-196 59 A.Indian M 04-10-1990 RELEASED

2. ANDREW PAUL MANUEL 06345-156 59 A.Indian M 02-17-1983 RELEASED

My origional question still stands: Where is he now?

Here are a few more questions: What was he convicted of, and has he killed anyone lately?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back