Switched at Birth!

golfmom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-ap-il-hospital-babiessw,0,5745731.story

MARION, Ill. - Sitting in her room at Heartland Regional Medical Center, Kassie Hopkins knew something was wrong when she looked at the newborn baby officials told her she'd given birth to a day before.

Mary Jo Bathon had the same feeling, but left the hospital with Heartland's assurance that the baby she had was her son. She headed home to Pinckeyville, an hour away, making a stop to buy baby supplies.

But hospital workers had inadvertently switched the babies.

Thank God they caught this one quick rather than like the one we had down here in Florida with the Twigs & Mays families. :eek:

From what I gathered from the article both mothers thought the babies were not theirs but for whatever reason they listened to the very young 17 yo mother and not the older one.

I found that odd. I mean I am glad they listened to the girl but it just struck me odd.

Thank God they caught this one quick rather than like the one we had down here in Florida with the Twigs & Mays families. :eek:

Twigs & Mays was the first thing I thought of when I read this story, what a mess that was, terrible for both families! Glad this was resolved quickly. :)

Wow. The article doesn't say what concerned the mom's. Was it instinct or did one boy have features that would be readily identifiable? Can you imagine hearing that message on your answering machine?

I was wondering how they figured it out too. I was so drugged up I wouldnt have noticed if they didnt give me the right one.

From what I gathered from the article both mothers thought the babies were not theirs but for whatever reason they listened to the very young 17 yo mother and not the older one.

I found that odd. I mean I am glad they listened to the girl but it just struck me odd.

Hi Amraann,

I think they listened to the 17 year old because she "threw a fit" and she wasn't going anywhere without her baby...whereas the older mother just accepted the baby they gave her and headed on home :doh:

OT:
My 2nd son was born premature and weighed just 5 pounds. The following morning a nurse brings me the wrong baby! I told her, "He's NOT MINE"! Good Lord, how in the world does a nurse mix up a 5 lb. baby with a 7 lb. baby? :slap: In newborns a 2 pound difference is like comparing a golf ball to a tennis ball!!!

Your right 2 lbs in a new born is a huge difference!

Upon Reading AmandaBrowns comment about being so drugged I wonder if that was the difference... The 17 YO was probably not drugged due to insurance issues whereas the older mom probably was.
IMO a Dr would more readily give an older women who appeared more mature drugs for pain ... a 17 yo would be lucky to get a tylenol.

Upon Reading AmandaBrowns comment about being so drugged I wonder if that was the difference... The 17 YO was probably not drugged due to insurance issues whereas the older mom probably was.
IMO a Dr would more readily give an older women who appeared more mature drugs for pain ... a 17 yo would be lucky to get a tylenol.

I wouldn't be surprised if you right about this insurance scenario. A thought also occurred to me that perhaps younger mother had natural childbirth, and was more alert during delivery where as older mother chose to be more comfortable? Just a thought...

maybe it had more to do with personalities then insurance, possibly the older mother was shy or a timid person, and the 17 year old was an outgoing, speaks her mind type of woman. the 17 year old was probably just as insured as the older mother, she would have been covered under her parents insurance or by the state.

Hi Amraann,

I think they listened to the 17 year old because she "threw a fit" and she wasn't going anywhere without her baby...whereas the older mother just accepted the baby they gave her and headed on home :doh:

OT:
My 2nd son was born premature and weighed just 5 pounds. The following morning a nurse brings me the wrong baby! I told her, "He's NOT MINE"! Good Lord, how in the world does a nurse mix up a 5 lb. baby with a 7 lb. baby? :slap: In newborns a 2 pound difference is like comparing a golf ball to a tennis ball!!!

Lucky if that girl threw a fit. Bless her. That'd be justifiable. Fermi that is just crazy they brought you the wrong baby. Two pound difference and all.

maybe it had more to do with personalities then insurance, possibly the older mother was shy or a timid person, and the 17 year old was an outgoing, speaks her mind type of woman. the 17 year old was probably just as insured as the older mother, she would have been covered under her parents insurance or by the state.

Being covered by the state is not anywhere near like having private insurance.

If she was not living at home her parents could remove her off of their insurance.

How scary for all involved. This is one of the many many reasons to have a midwife and to deliver at birthing centers (OR AT HOME!!!) instead of hospitals.

Thank God this was straightened out early on....poor moms.

OT:

OMG:eek:
Thank goodness you immediately knew the baby wasn't yours. I wonder how many times this happens and the parents don't realize it, until for whatever reason, a blood sample is needed???

That is exactly what I was thinking. I thought they now have TWO id's on. One on the leg and one on the arm. At least that is what they do down here in Texas.

Teens are notorious for having easy or quick labors. She may have never needed the relief or she may have progressed too quickly.

Hmmm...I wonder if I got 3 great kids cause they really weren't mine?! LOL I know I was severely drugged up after I had them!!

It is wonderful the 17yo didn't give up and corrected a horrible mistake. Her child will be very proud of her someday. :)

"Teens are notorious for having easy or quick labors."

Where did you ever hear this? It is just not true.

Your right 2 lbs in a new born is a huge difference!

Filly said:
Fermi that is just crazy they brought you the wrong baby. Two pound difference and all.

Philamena said:
OMG
Thank goodness you immediately knew the baby wasn't yours. I wonder how many times this happens and the parents don't realize it, until for whatever reason, a blood sample is needed???

LoL...yes a 2 pound difference is huge. Since I went into premature labor (he had a Type A Nuchal Cord and went into distress) there was no time for drugs of any kind. So, not only was I completely aware but he also was the spitting image of my Dh. I would have known that little guy anywhere!

I wanted to keep him in my room but they did not allow it (this was 20 years ago). However, after the mix-up they "suddenly" had a change of policy and allowed him to stay with me. They did take him once to bathe but when they weren't back in 15 minutes I got out of bed and went to find him...I was afraid they would accidently give him to someone else...can ya say the trust was gone :rolleyes:

I am so glad this young mother knew her little guy too! :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back