SC - Tucker Hipps, 19, Clemson student's death: Was it hazing? Sept 2014

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
e02c26b0-5b19-4b71-a970-930565c2ed2f_zps096e3aac.jpg

http://www.wspa.com/story/26606925/clemson-student-died-from-fall-coroner

The coroner says Tucker Hipps died from an head injury that is consistent with an unsupported fall. The report says the injury is also consistent with him falling from one of the spans which is about 20 - 23 feet above the water surface.

The Oconee Co. Sheriff's Department says Clemson University Police discovered the body of Tucker W. Hipps, 19, of Piedmont below the Highway 93 bridge at YMCA Beach in Lake Hartwell in 4 - 5 feet of water around 3:30 p.m.

http://www.counton2.com/story/26606...ng-hazing-claims-after-clemson-students-death

Sigma Phi Epsilon says they are investigating allegations of hazing made on social media in the death of Clemson Student Tucker Hipps...

The university says Hipps was participating in an early-morning group activity run with fraternity members. He didn't return from the run and wasn't at breakfast, so they began looking for him. Members of the fraternity contacted the Clemson University Police Department to report him missing at 1:45 p.m. Monday.

The fraternity has asked the chapter to suspend all scheduled programming to focus on supporting those close to Tucker Hipps. Clemson University's John Gouch says the university has prosecuted 23 cases of hazing in the past 5 years.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2014/09/23/6350882_body-of-clemson-student-pulled.html?rh=1

“There has been speculation and innuendo, especially on social media, regarding whether hazing played a part in the death of Tucker Hipps,” Oconee County Sheriff Mike Creshaw said. “So far, there has been no indication in the Oconee County Sheriff’s Office investigation that hazing played a part in the death of Tucker Hipps”...

The sheriff asked that anyone who might have been driving in the Seneca River Bridge area between 5:30 and 6 a.m. to call the sheriff’s office if they saw anything unusual at that time.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/24/3700738_clemson-weeps-questions-linger.html?&rh=1

They came by the hundreds to Bowman Field on Tuesday night to light the historic heart of the Clemson campus with their cell phones, each point of light a reflection of the life of Tucker W. Hipps, their classmate whose body was found in Lake Hartwell a day earlier. Tillman Hall tolled 19 bells — one for each year of life for the Wren High School graduate. Then, silence...

The vigil wasn’t an official university-sponsored event, but President James Clements presided over it with the dignity of a pastor, asking the students to pray for Hipps’ parents in the loss of their only child...

Fraternity members told investigators they were running Monday morning when Hipps started “having some issues” and fell behind as they crossed a bridge where his body was found later in the water, Oconee County sheriff’s spokesman Jimmy Watt said.

http://whnt.com/2014/09/23/clemson-shuts-down-two-dozen-fraternities-in-one-month/

A month into the fall semester, Clemson University has pulled the plug on two dozen fraternities. The university opted to halt all social and new member activities on the South Carolina campus after the death of a student and a “high number” of reported incidents involving fraternities.

Student Affairs Vice President Gail DiSabatino cited complaints “ranging from alcohol-related medical emergencies to sexual misconduct” as contributing to the decision. “These behaviors are unacceptable and mandate swift and effective action to protect students,” DiSabatino said in a press release. “There is no higher priority than the safety and welfare of our students.”

“It is especially prudent to suspend fraternity activities given the tragic death of Tucker Hipps,” she said.

"The 19-year-old sophomore went for a run with his fraternity early Monday morning and did not come back, according to the university. His fraternity brothers searched for him and eventually went to campus police."

it's odd that no one from his
fellow runners saw him tumble over the bridge. Don't they usually run in packs for camaradrie and to boost the ego to excel and surpass? jmo

http://www.scnow.com/news/state/article_69a011ca-44b8-11e4-993b-0017a43b2370.html

Several people who were driving to work in Clemson on Monday morning have told investigators that they saw runners crossing Lake Hartwell on the State 93 bridge in the dark without any reflective gear, but saw nothing suspicious that could shed light on how Tucker Hipps ended up in the water with a fatal head injury, Oconee County Sheriff Mike Crenshaw said Wednesday.

Investigators have taken statements from all 30 members of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity who were running with Hipps, a political science major and Wren High School graduate, and about 20 friends and other people who knew him...

Still, the biggest question remains: How could Hipps have fallen over a four-foot high concrete wall between the sidewalk on the bridge and the lake?

On the local news this morning, it was said that he was lagging behind the other runners, and possibly tried to jump from one bridge to the other to make up time. The bridges appeared close, but were actually 8 and a half feet apart. That would seem to make sense to me, maybe even cause the head wound.

But when there is an undercurrent on social media, and there have been all types of infractions in the past, ?????
Usually, people know, people talk. If its any more than an accident, someone needs to speak up. You don't send your child to college to get them back dead.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/parents-of-tucker-hipps-there-is-more-to-the-story/29811754

Cindy and Gary Hipps said they didn’t just lose their only son, they lost years of making new memories. “We were looking forward to him and Katie getting married and having grandchildren. We even talked about that -- we talked about one day me being a grandmother...

“There is more to the story then what has been told. We do believe there are things that need to be fixed that are broken with fraternity pledging processes. No parent should send their child off to college and have to fear for their life,” said Gary Hipps.

"I think there are elements of the truth that are not yet known and those are answers we're looking for,” said Cindy.

Crenshaw said in the immediate aftermath that no evidence of hazing had surfaced, but he said Monday that hazing allegations are part of the investigation.

"My statement that I said previously at that point in the investigation -- we didn't have any evidence to indicate that hazing was an issue," he told The Greenville News. "There's been some allegations of hazing but until our investigation is complete I think it would be inappropriate to comment on it at this time."

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ies-christmas-still-searching-truth/20826979/

The family has heard little from the authorities about the investigation in recent weeks, she said. They've heard nothing from the fraternity and haven't heard from Clemson University in about a month.

She said they have gotten no information from the autopsy of their son's body, which was found on the Oconee County side of Lake Hartwell between the twin bridges on State 93...

"There's a certain amount of information, but there's that missing time as to when Tucker actually went off that bridge," Cindy Hipps said. "They don't know how or why he went off the bridge."

Parents sue Clemson, fraternity over son's death

Each lawsuit filed in the death of 19-year-old Tucker Hipps seeks $25 million plus punitive damages. In addition to Clemson, the lawsuits name the national Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and three fraternity members.

In a statement e-mailed by their attorney, Hipps’ parents call their son’s death “a senseless and avoidable tragedy. The culture of hazing and inappropriate conduct by social fraternities must be stopped.”

With all of the national media attention similar stories (without the tragedy of death) get, I am shocked on a few things- 1: that this didn't get any national attention that I saw. 2: that I heard absolutely nothing of it, with me being a 2x Clemson grad and having many friends and family either still living nearby or working on campus! 3: no info on investigation for months, no arrests, and now a lawsuit that suggests a frat brother committed at a minimum involuntary manslaughter. Usually a civil case comes after criminal cases. And a random 4: why would anyone need to get permission to go for a jog, whether part of any group or not?

I was not part of the Greek system at Clemson, and in fact remember being annoyed at the willingness of adults and peers alike to think I was crazy for lacking the interest. My own grandmother and I got in a huge fight because I would not pledge her sorority. She was incredulous when I said it was one big party, the likes in which I had no need to partake. She insisted it was all just people wanting to do good and make lifelong friends. Hmmm.

An unbelievable, shameful tragedy if this guy lost his life over breakfast biscuits.

My daughter is at Clemson this year and is not interested one bit in joining a sorority, I am thankful. She was home over spring break and she spoke of this tragedy, and placed much emphasis on personal choice and yes, lots of partying. She has never been one to follow the crowd or need to be part of something so self destructive. USC had one recently as well. I have not followed up on that to see exactly what the cause of death was but it was assumed a similar tragedy. I will see if I can find the link.

Watts says Terrenni, who was a member of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, lived on campus. The national leadership of the fraternity put USC's Pi Kappa Alpha chapter on administrative suspension following the death, and says the group is cooperating with the investigation
http://www.wltx.com/story/news/local/2015/03/19/university-of-south-carolina-student-dies/25017743/

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back