17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think comparisons of the number of burglaries per day or month or year in different areas are pretty futile if the size of the area isn't specified. 8 burglaries per day in a decent sized town might be very few but 8 burglaries per day in a gated community with 263 townhouses would mean that in average every townhouse gets burglarized once a month.

They have to approve his resignation? :confused:

Yes, because he has a contract, they have to officially approve his breaking the contract or they could be held responsible to pay him the remainder of his contract.

I think comparisons of the number of burglaries per day or month or year in different areas are pretty futile if the size of the area isn't specified. 8 burglaries per day in a decent sized town might be very few but 8 burglaries per day in a gated community with 263 townhouses would mean that in average every townhouse gets burglarized once a month.

I think it was eight burglaries in twelve to fifteen months? I don't remember it being eight per day?

Continuing to repeat the same thing as a fact does not make it so. We have no idea what happened and to continue to make the assumption that TM should have been home is speculation.

This case cannot get to court fast enough, and we still might have to wait up to two years...:maddening::maddening:

I think it was eight burglaries in twelve to fifteen months? I don't remember it being eight per day?

No, and that is not what I meant. Just an example I got that from the discussion of the crime rates where other posters live.

Sometimes words are interesting. He was going to Target...or is it more accurate he was going to target someone?

40+calls indicate to me he targeted individuals regularly.

Yep, I have always thought this. He was going on HUMAN target.

Question on how things work with a defense lawyer. Let's pretend that GZ tells MOM that the story he told the SPD wasn't true. That he did keep chasing Trayvon and was trying to detain him until the cops came and that it spun out of control and he shot him. But once he realized that he shot an unarmed 17 year old who was supposed to be in the complex, he couldn't take his words back because he'd already locked himself into those statements and he didn't want to go to jail.

Can MOM still defend GZ's original statements as if they are true and try to get him off?

Question on how things work with a defense lawyer. Let's pretend that GZ tells MOM that the story he told the SPD wasn't true. That he did keep chasing Trayvon and was trying to detain him until the cops came and that it spun out of control and he shot him. But once he realized that he shot an unarmed 17 year old who was supposed to be in the complex, he couldn't take his words back because he'd already locked himself into those statements and he didn't want to go to jail.

Can MOM still defend GZ's original statements as if they are true and try to get him off?

Of course he can do whatever he wants...but the answer to your question is NO...it is unethical and criminal.

No, and that is not what I meant. Just an example I got that from the discussion of the crime rates where other posters live.

Oh, okay. Sorry about that! I got confused!

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/new...2-documents-released-in-george-zimmerman-case

Documents released in George Zimmerman case

Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester issued an order to unseal several documents. According to one of the documents released Monday, Zimmerman's arraignment was pushed forward from May 29 to May 8.

Read more: http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/new...leased-in-george-zimmerman-case#ixzz1stU5VbNz

Court order:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/90825621/George-Zimmerman-trial-Order-to-Unseal-Court-File

He can't suborn perjury (knowingly elicit false testimony from witnesses or knowingly allow his client to testify untruthfully). That said, it's perfectly fine (and ethically obligatory) for him to cast whatever doubt he can on the state's evidence and hold their feet to the fire in making them prove their allegations, even if the defense attorney knows it's all true.

He would be helping his client commit perjury. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that might be a career-ender.

Zimmerman supporters say he was protecting neighborhood

A neighbor and friend of George Zimmerman's said Tuesday on CNN that their neighborhood had suffered eight burglaries, all committed by young black men, in the 15 months prior to Trayvon Martin's shooting.

Frank Taaffe's account paints a picture of a neighborhood watch volunteer making rounds in a community suffering a spate of burglaries when he ran across what he thought was a suspicious figure walking the streets. Police records appear to only partially substantiate Taaffe's claims about the burglaries, citing three of eight cases in which suspects were identified as black males.

City officials posted police reports to the city website detailing eight burglary reports in the neighborhood in the 14 months prior to Martin's February 26 death.

In three of those incidents, black males were implicated by witnesses or arrests. A fourth incident was less clear.

A homeowner who reported that someone had broken into her home and had stolen a video game console referred police to a black man who had previously visited her home asking for her son.

Police do not list that man as a suspect in their report.

In the other four incidents, there were no witnesses or suspects, according to police reports.

It was not clear if the documents posted to Sanford's website include all burglary incidents in the time period mentioned by Taaffe. A city spokeswoman did not immediately respond to a request for comments.

full article; http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/justice/florida-teen-shooting-burglaries/index.html

Yes, because he has a contract, they have to officially approve his breaking the contract or they could be held responsible to pay him the remainder of his contract.

I am a consultant and most of my work is contract-based (some is verbal commitments for long-time clients). All my contracts have some type of out clause (for me and the client). If he is the one that broke the contract (by resigning), I'm not sure why the city would have to pay him anything?

Not much of a doc-dump, but hey! It's something.

Interesting to read the Motion to Appear in Civilian Clothing.

I am a consultant and most of my work is contract-based (some is verbal commitments for long-time clients). All my contracts have some type of out clause (for me and the client). If he is the one that broke the contract (by resigning), I'm not sure why the city would have to pay him anything?

Because it is a government job it is just a formality, he doesn't even have to be there but because it is a government entity, they have to have it on "official" public record. And example is with a school district, anytime a teacher resigns the resignation has to be "approved" by the school board and entered into the official minutes.

I think subornation of perjury is considered criminal but in practice, what with the attorney-client privilege keeping their conversations with their clients confidential, who is ever going to be able to prove what an attorney has or has not been told by their client? So it comes down to each individual's professional ethics imo, and sometimes practical considerations might win (in that if your client's story is confirmed horsefeathers and the prosecutor can prove it it may be better to choose another line of defense).

I have never worked in FL but when I was City Manager in MA everything required a vote of the Council to keep the record clear. Permanent records of all hiring, firing, resignations. It there is any wrong doing on the part of the Chief in this investigation pretty much the City is on the hook. Of course it would have to be proven but a case like that is expensive and generally settled out of court.

But making the record clear right now is imperative. Because the Officers of the Department, the staff and the citizens need to know who is in charge. And a formal vote to accept the resignation makes it clear, that this chief is no longer at the helm and has no right to dictate how that department is run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff