CA CA - Acton, WhtFem UP4449, 18-30, shallow grave, denim jacket, Aug'76

Billylee

Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/cases/4449

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/eastin_christine.html

This month is the 39th anniversary of Christine's disappearance, and I have been debating as to whether to submit this find for some months now. After much thought and seeing some of the actual finds that happen out there and how close or far off the estimates were, I find the clothes of this Jane Doe too compelling not to submit it. ID will be difficult, as the remains were skeletal and scattered. The determined age is good and hair length, and height is close, though Chris' hair was dark blond, not brown. I knew Chris personally and I know her sister is still looking for her.
Anyway I submitted this to Namus today, hopefully we can get an answer.

I think it was definitely worth submitting, although I wonder about the dentals.I hope it's okay to ask this, but since you knew her personally--were her teeth normal? They appear normal in photos. If the Jane Doe really died in 1976, the teeth could have rotted during captivity or something...but that doesn't explain the clothing.

I'm still glad you submitted it. You'll never know either way otherwise.

I think it looks like a good match. The "sweater-type blouse" described in the NamUs report sounds exactly like how you'd describe a tunic if you didn't know the actual name for the garment.

There are enough errors in the NamUs report that it's reasonable to question the estimated year of death. For one, the UID's weight couldn't have been measured at 140 if her remains were "partial skeletal parts only." I wonder if somebody who handled the report mistook the year the UID was found for the estimated year of death? Or if the year of death couldn't be determined, would it be customary to list the year the UID was found as a default?

Thanks for the encouraging words. My eyes literally are tearing at the thought of this. I indeed kept from submitting this match because of the dental report. Having no idea how teeth would decay if a body lay dead in a desert or whatever. Chris' teeth from what I remember were good looking, but if the actual death date was later, then do teeth continue to decay once your dead? I don't know, and that was exactly my only hesitation in the submission, if anyone knows this kind of answer, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks.

I think it's wonderful that you're offering this match in an attempt to bring closure for her family or to at least rekindle interest in the case if it doesn't turn out to be a match.

Just a few thoughts on the teeth: would a phrase like "extremely bad teeth" refer only to untreated dental problems or could it mean she had many fillings? I've heard people say "my teeth are bad, I've had too many fillings to count" but they're referring to damage that's already been repaired.

Some people will not see a dentist until their problems are severe, either from fear of dental work or a lack of dental insurance. That might explain the three bad wisdom teeth.

I want to also put this out there. I have been in touch with a newspaper reporter who is interested in writing another story about Chris's disappearance. There have actually been more than a fewl over the years as you might imagine. (39 years is a lifetime!) Anyway, since I've come on board here, coupled with the finding of Jaycee alive after all these years, there is renewed interest in the possibilities of resolvement out there. Anyhow, when I came to Websleuths and started my hunt (for Christine) I became aware of how pretty much haphazardly the missing and unidentified system really is. CarlK9025 brought up an example in his post about Pognonip missing in CA: "They are also working with the FBI to comb through old reports of kidnapped children, which are not entered into the missing persons system."

And this article, (also provided by CarkK: thankyou!!!) A bigger picture - What every MP investigator/family member must know - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I was thinking something should be done to bring everyone "together", a standard way of reporting, etc. We have a lot of legistators out there who are in MHO not doing much. These laws could be implemented across the country. I might bring this up to this reporter. It is a large syndication, and may just bring about some change. I truly do not think that the public knows what goes on, and I really believe there should be National, if not Universal guidelines in this field, being as we are such a mobile society now. What do you all think? Willing to step up to the plate to talk to a reporter about what your "searching" experience has been?

I think it looks like a good match. The "sweater-type blouse" described in the NamUs report sounds exactly like how you'd describe a tunic if you didn't know the actual name for the garment.

There are enough errors in the NamUs report that it's reasonable to question the estimated year of death. For one, the UID's weight couldn't have been measured at 140 if her remains were "partial skeletal parts only." I wonder if somebody who handled the report mistook the year the UID was found for the estimated year of death? Or if the year of death couldn't be determined, would it be customary to list the year the UID was found as a default?

I should have mentioned this to you guys, there is discrepancy in various reports on her weight. And I would say this more accurate. She was slim, but not skinny and not a particularly "small build". My estimate would have been 120-130 lbs. And that's what this report says:
http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=1109327200283

Another misleading this on the Charlie Project is that the scarf she was last seen wearing was actually left behind along with her purse, in the locked car. So if you're out looking for UIDs fahget about the scarf.

Received this info. yesterday and wanted to share it with ya'll.

I have received your e-mails regarding Christine Eastin, unfortunately we do not have much very much information on our case #1976-9427, Jane Doe #61. We do not have a copy of the decedent’s dental x-rays. The autopsy report indicates that the decedent had numerous decayed teeth in her lower jaw, and that there were fillings in some of the decayed teeth. The report also indicates that there were wisdom teeth on one side of the lower jaw (doesn’t specify which side) and that there were multiple decaying teeth with poor dental hygiene.

The report also indicates that the jeans that were found with the decedent had a waist size of 32.

The only way that I could rule out this case as not being Christine Eastin is if her dental x-rays showed that she did not have any wisdom teeth.

I sent a request to the handling Police agency, (this case L.A. Sheriff) to see if they had any evidence in their storage facility for this case, and they stated that they could not find any evidence, but they will continue to search and let me know if they have any other evidence from the decedent.

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but I was trying to pursue any possible leads for any further evidence on this case.

If you have any further questions or other information please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Inv. Daniel Machian

Los Angeles County Dept. of Coroner

Identification section

323-343-0754

There are a few things in here that I don't think were in the original case information on the UID's Namus site, #4449, which should be updated for any future possible matches. Firstly, the size of the pants and also the dental info (or lack thereof). (Things were done a lot differently in the 70's :( ) However, they are still searching for anything else. For what it's worth, the size 32 waist pants, sound too large and lead me to believe it was not Christine. I did however forward this information to the Hayward PD in charge of her case because I believe her sister may have or be able to get her dental records. Will let you know if more comes of this one.

Bumping. Any more word from the coroner's office, billylee? Great work you did there!

For what it's worth, the size 32 waist pants, sound too large and lead me to believe it was not Christine.

However, according to NamUS, she was wearing hip hugger jeans, so the "waist" may not actually be the waist size, but more of a hip size. I am much much bigger than this, so I do not know what a reasonable hip measurement would be for someone of Christine's build.

I don't understand how she could be a size 32 WAIST, being 5'9 and 140 lbs.

She'd be much more like 170-180 lbs.

There's not alot of info in the NamUs casefile, and the DoeNet casefile for this UID is not included above. So here's the link.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 797
http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase797.html

No Image Available

Unidentified White Female

The victim was discovered on August 1, 1976 in Acton, Los Angeles County, California

Estimated Date of Death: 3-6 months prior​

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 17-30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"-5'10"; 120-140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Long reddish/dark brown hair with a natural wave.
Clothing: Light blue, flared denim pants; blue denim jacket; multi colored knit/beige with small blue and white stripes, sweater type blouse.
Dentals: Not available
DNA: Not available​

Case History
The victim was found buried in a shallow grave, approximately 3 1/2 in diameter and three feet deep. Victim buried in a fetal position.

Location was next to a dirt roadway, behind some bushes. One mile south of Acton Road and 3/4 mile west of Soledad Canyon Road, Acton, CA.​

Agree that since lower-rise hip hugger jeans were popular at the time, the 32" "waist" is really more of a measurement around closer to the hips.

Not to say the UP is not Christine but Robin Graham's description really reminded me of the UP:
18 years old, 5'6", 125 lbs, long brown hair
Wearing blue jeans, dark blue jacket and red shirt
Missing from Los Angeles (51 miles away) since 11/14/70
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/32285/

So many missing young women in CA yet no really good place/time matches for this unidentified woman.

And no identifiers of any sort.
No dental xrays but they seem to have the dental chart or some kind of description from the email post on 25 Feb 2010 upthread. Meaning every ruleout would need to be manual, right? Because dentals doesn't auto-compare in Namus.

Any updated ruleout list from Namus?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back