NJ - Sean Goldman: Abducted and living in Brazil UPDATE: Coming Home

I hope he can bring Sean home to live with him and his family. What the mother did was so wrong!

There is a man who posts on the blog (www.bringseanhome.org) who is facing the same thing. His Brazilian wife kidnapped his 2 children and went to Brazil in August 2006. Unreal! :furious:

His post from today is below:

# tweinsteinon 12 Feb 2009 at 6:29 pm
  1. As many of you already know, my two children have been illegally retained in Brazil since August, 2006. I had all but given up hope on the Brazilian legal system, but recently, my spirits have been renewed. I am concerned however, that the Senators who presented the resolution did not include, as Congressman Chris Smith had, a reference to the other 42 cases(potentially 60-80 children) of United States children illegally in Brazil.
    Please reference this fact whenever you contact your respective senator or congressman.
    Thank You,
    Timothy Weinstein
http://bringseanhome.org/wordpress/?p=48#comments

Below is a section of an email I received that was sent to the supporters of David Goldman (Sean's Daddy):

David is now in Brazil for a hearing today with Judge Luis Felipe Salomão, Superior Tribunal de Justiça, who announced a ruling requiring "mediation" between David and João Paulo Lins e Silva. We're all very hopeful that this trip will mark a turning point in this case and at the very least we are praying that David will be permitted to see his son.

It gets better, but we have to go back to last Friday night; U.S. Congressman Chris Smith of New Jersey’s 4th Congressional District saw the NBC Dateline story and contacted David for a meeting. The Congressman promised to do all he could to help. David does not live in the 4th Congressional district but Congressman Smith is well known in New Jersey as a stand up guy who will go the extra mile for people. Congressman Smith is with David in Brazil right now and will be with him every step of the way! The added benefit is that the US Embassy will be providing a diplomatic security detail.

On Wednesday February 4th in the House of Representatives, Congressman Smith, a member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, entered House resolution 125 regarding Sean’s abduction. A transcript of H. RES 125 is online at http://bringseanhome.org/hr125.html.

IT IS VITAL that additional members of the House become co-sponsors of the resolution for it to have full impact. There is no reason why your Congressman should not sign up. Please email, write, telephone or fax your Congressman/woman and ask them to become a co-sponsor. Find their contact information at http://www.house.gov.

--------------------------------
Please contact your Congressman/woman and ask them to co-sponsor House Resolution 125....show your support for returning this child home to his Daddy! Prayers for David, Sean and Congressman Chris Smith of NJ's 4th Congressional District!!!

Bumping this post!

Please contact your Congressman/woman and ask them to co-sponsor House Resolution 125 (not HR 125 that is something different)....show your support for returning this child home to his Daddy! Prayers for David and Sean!!!

We need to keep the pressure on. Brazil's President Lula will be in Washington DC visiting with President Obama on March 17th.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has publicly endorsed this resolution.

Here is what we’ve been telling/writing House members, regarding: House Resolution 125:
Please co-sponsor House Resolution 125 (H.RES.125) introduced by Congressman Chris Smith of New Jersey. It calls on the Central Authority of Brazil to immediately discharge all its duties under the Hague Convention by facilitating and supporting Federal judicial proceedings as a matter of extreme urgency to obtain the immediate return of Sean Goldman to his father, David Goldman.

Updated list of co-sponsors (as of 2/13/09 at 8:17pm).
1. Maurice Hinchey (NY-22)
2. Dan Burton (IN-05)
3. Frank LoBiondo (NJ-02)
4. Rush Holt (NJ-12)
5. Bart Stupak (MI-01)
6. John A. Boehner (OH-08)
7. Michael C. Burgess (TX-26)
8. David Dreier (CA-26)
9. John J. Duncan, Jr. (TN-02)
10. Scott Garrett (NJ-05)
11. Daniel E. Lungren (CA-03)
12. Mike Pence (IN-06)
13. Jean Schmidt (OH-02)
14. Joseph R. Pitts (PA-16)
15. Peter King (NY-03)
16. Barney Frank (MA-04)
17. John Boozman (AR-03)
18. Jerry Lewis (CA-41)
19. Frank R. Wolf (VA-10)
20. Brian P. Bilbray (CA-50)
21. Jerry F. Costello (IL-12)
22. Wally Herger (CA-02)
23. Trent Franks (AZ-02)
24. Mark E. Souder (IN-03)
25. John Shimkus (IL-19)
26. J. Randy Forbes (VA-04)
27. Alan B. Mollohan (WV-01)
28. Lincoln Diaz-Balart (FL-21)
29. F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr. (WI-05)
30. Doug Lamborn (CO-05)
31. Eni F.H. Faleomavaega (AS)
32. Diane E. Watson (CA-33)
33. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL-18)
34. Michael E. McMahon (NY-13)
35. Virginia Foxx (NC-05)

David Goldman will be a live guest on the Today Show with Meredith Vieira on Monday morning, Feb 16 at approximately 7:30am EST. We hope you will tune in for the interview. This is David’s first television appearance since returning from Brazil last week.

http://bringseanhome.org/wordpress/

David arrived home from Brazil last Thursday (Feb 12) and immediately hopped on an Amtrak train for the three-hour trip to Washington DC. David met with Congressman Chris Smith and other high level officials in the US government. David also had a meeting with Brazilian Ambassador Antonio Patriota. The important take-away from the meeting with the Ambassador was a reassurance that the Brazilian Government wants to do the right thing, follow their treaty obligations, and reunite Sean and David on US soil. The Ambassador pointed out that the Brazilian federal government has filed the amended Hague application for the immediate return of Sean to David in the US and cited this as evidence of the Brazilian Government’s position in this case.

(The above is a snippet from the blog...more info at the link above...this blog was posted 15 Feb 2009.)

Also, there is also a demonstration being planned for Washington DC on Tuesday March 17 at Lafayette Park, across from the White House, to coincide with President Lula’s meeting with President Obama. It is fully expected that the topic of the Sean Goldman abduction case to be on the agenda for that meeting. :woohoo: For more information on the rally and to RSVP, please visit the Event on the HELP BRING SEAN GOLDMAN HOME Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=49656442761.

Again, please contact your Congressman/woman and ask that he/she Co-Sponsor House Resolution 125 introduced by Congressman Chris Smith of New Jersey. It calls on the Central Authority of Brazil to immediately discharge all its duties under the Hague Convention by facilitating and supporting Federal judicial proceedings as a matter of extreme urgency to obtain the immediate return of Sean Goldman to his father, David Goldman.

Not sure if it's on here. He got to see his son. I didn't realize his wife died? OH how horrible for that child. I hope it gets resolved soon and he can bring him back home. What a horrible tragedy.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...dman_brazil_AM_090217/20090217?hub=TopStories

Thanks Patty! He got to see his son last Monday and Tuesday. He explained the visitation on the Today Show this week. He said Monday's visit was great - the psychologist left them alone to bond but she supervised from a distance (in the morning). In the afternoon, they changed psychologist's - this time a man - and he actually jumped in the pool when he got in with Sean. The Tuesday visit didn't go quite as well because David said it appeared that Sean was kept up late that night and was a bit more reserved (did the family say things to the child? possibly). He said that the psychologist on the 2nd day was inches away from them. He said there was no privacy and that it just didn't go as well on that day.

Yes, Bruna, Sean's mom died in August 2008, only 8 hours after giving birth to her daughter who she had with Joao Paulo Lins e Silva (the guy who is fighting David for Sean). JPLeS is also a family attorney in Brazil who has helped others regain custody of their child based on the Hague Treaty. Ex: JPLeS assisted a Canadian man regain custody of his daughter after she was kidnapped by her Brazilian mother. The mother claimed she took the child because the father was an alcoholic and an abuser (supposedly proven in court). The child was returned to her father in Canada. Ironic, isn't it? :furious:

Prayers for David and Sean. I can't imagine the pain that they are both enduring.

Thank you for the synopsis Bree. With all that goes on in the world, this was yet another new one for me. It's just astounding to me that he does not have that child back from the moment his ex-wife died.

Thank you for the synopsis Bree. With all that goes on in the world, this was yet another new one for me. It's just astounding to me that he does not have that child back from the moment his ex-wife died.

Legally, he should have had the child back within 6 weeks of him being abducted (according to the Hague), but they failed to comply. :furious:

Now that the mother is deceased, I'm baffled as to why he is still going through this mess. Lord only knows what the child has been told. He needs his Daddy though. He asked his Dad last week why he had never come to see him. His Dad said that it was hard not to tell him the entire truth, but he told him that the courts was the problem (paraphrasing).

CONGRESS:

Please contact your Congressman/woman and ask them to co-sponsor House Resolution 125 (not HR 125 that is something different)....show your support for returning this child home to his Daddy! Prayers for David and Sean!!!

http://www.bringseanhome.org/hr125.html

Here is what we’ve been telling/writing House members, regarding: House Resolution 125:
Please co-sponsor House Resolution 125 (H.RES.125) introduced by Congressman Chris Smith of New Jersey. It calls on the Central Authority of Brazil to immediately discharge all its duties under the Hague Convention by facilitating and supporting Federal judicial proceedings as a matter of extreme urgency to obtain the immediate return of Sean Goldman to his father, David Goldman.

SENATE:

As well, please call or fax your US Senators and ask them to please become a cosponsor of:

“Senate Resolution 37 - The Sean Goldman Abduction
by Senators Lautenberg, Menendez and Feingold”

It is also important to mention that the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) has publicly endorsed this Resolution! Cosponsoring this resolution is the right thing for every Senator to do!​

Please visit www.bringseanhome.org for more information.

Bree, I saw your siggie on another thread and read about this case. Truely heartbreaking. I hope they bring Sean home to his Dad ASAP! Glad I never got an AuPair from Brazil and now I never will!!!!

Bree, I saw your siggie on another thread and read about this case. Truely heartbreaking. I hope they bring Sean home to his Dad ASAP! Glad I never got an AuPair from Brazil and now I never will!!!!

Thanks for reading about this heartbreaking case! It has consumed me lately! I just want to see this child home with his loving Daddy.

Everyone, sign the petition (link in my siggie) and contact your congressmen/women and senators. We can use all the help we can get!!! So far, 40 congressmen/women have signed on to co-sponsor H.Res 125.

If you have MySpace, please visit this site: http://www.bringseanhome.org/banners.html and choose a banner and add it to your page. There are approximately 50 cases of US child abduction in Brazil alone.

I'm still in utter disbelief that the step-father was allowed to keep custody of him, after the mother died. I mean seriously, a man that is described as having been her "new" husband, took the top rung on the custody scale? He's of no blood relation to the child and probably didn't know the child long... the bio dad wanted him back... but the new guy got first dibs: wrong on every level imaginable. It just makes not one bit of sense... other than to think that Brazilian courts are a joke.

I'm still in utter disbelief that the step-father was allowed to keep custody of him, after the mother died. I mean seriously, a man that is described as having been her "new" husband, took the top rung on the custody scale? He's of no blood relation to the child and probably didn't know the child long... the bio dad wanted him back... but the new guy got first dibs: wrong on every level imaginable. It just makes not one bit of sense... other than to think that Brazilian courts are a joke.

ITA! Not to mention that the stepdad and his family run a legal office - family law for children. The stepdad's father, Paulo Lins e Silva, has given speaches and is supposedly an advocate for the Hague Treaty that Bruna (Sean's mother) did not follow; nor did the Brazilian Court System.

Now Bruna's family (aunt) is slinging mud at David saying he is in it for the money and that he never once tried to see or talk to Sean during the 4 years. She thinks he only wants Sean home because he is to inherit money from his mom's estate. GMAB! This man has proof (lots of it) that he has been trying from day 1 to get his son home.

Also, there is an attorney in NYC that is working for the step dad (for some reason) and apparently had Bruna as his client prior to her leaving the US. It appears he might have given her some legal advice on how to leave the country with child. :eek: That's not a fact (I haven't heard it from his mouth), but there are several people on the Bring Sean Home Facebook page that have called this attorneys office to confirm. I'm appalled at this! :furious:

Due to the overwhelming amount of blog comments, BringSeanHome.org now has it's own message board (registration required):

http://bringseanhome.org/forum/index.php

BTW, the petition now has over 30,000 signatures from all over the world! The media in Brazil is finally starting to talk about the case (there has been a gag order in place). :woohoo:

Continued prayers that Sean will be home with his Dad soon!!!

Below is a large portion of an email that was sent out to all subscribers of the www.bringseanhome.org website (bolding by me). The entire email is available for reading (with maps included) at: http://bringseanhome.org/email_2222009.html

Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva will be visiting the US in March and if Sean and David are not yet reunited in New Jersey by the time of his visit, we need to let President Lula know that his visit will be more than just a meet and greet. We want our children home! If Brazil allows Sean to remain in Brazil, it will have an impact for generations to come. How can a civilized country be a safe haven for international child abductors? Essentially, no children from any country, anywhere, are safe there as long as Brazil continues this behavior.

Washington D.C. Rally

We need your support on March 17, 2009, for a demonstration scheduled to take place at Lafayette Park, across from the White House, during President Lula’s visit with U.S. President Barack Obama. People everywhere are invited to rally with David Goldman to ensure that the Brazilian government knows we will settle for nothing short of Sean's immediate return to his father. We expect a good crowd and ask all of you to do what you can to come to Washington D.C. for what promises to be a very important day in David Goldman’s four and half year struggle to bring Sean home, and also for the many other abducted children held in Brazil and other countries.

We will be meeting at Lafayette Park at 11:00am and expect to be there until 2:00pm. We ask all of you to make transportation plans and bring handmade signs and banners with you. We expect to have charter buses departing from the PNC Bank Arts Center (Exit 116 off the Garden State Parkway) in New Jersey early that morning and there will be free parking available there for the day. We will be departing Washington around 3:00pm and expect to be back to the parking lot in New Jersey around 7:00pm. To reserve a spot on the charter bus, <i>you must email BringSeanHome@live.com and reference the words "Charter Bus" in the subject line with the number of people in your group.

We will be posting more information on the event soon and ask that any of you who plan to attend RSVP as soon as possible. In addition to the Bring Sean Home website, where you can register at (http://bringseanhome.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7), you can also register on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=49656442761. Please indicate the number of people attending in your group including yourself. We expect to hand out t-shirts and buttons and are also planning to set up a stage for speakers who will be announced soon. Please join us for this historic event on March 17.

House Resolution 125 and Senate Resolution 37

Resolutions have been introduced in both Houses of the U.S. Congress demanding Brazil abide by its international obligations under the Hague Convention and return Sean Goldman to his father immediately. It is imperative that we push for maximum support from Congressmen and Senators ahead of President Lula&#8217;s visit to Washington in March. Remember, our elected officials work for us so please, pick up the telephone and call your Congressman/woman and Senators and let them know we need their support. Encourage your friends and family to do the same. When you make these calls please tell them we need them to co-sponsor these resolutions, not just vote in favor of them. Additional co-sponsors will expedite these resolutions to the floor for a vote, which will add additional pressure on Brazil in advance of Lula's visit. These are bipartisan, non-controversial resolutions endorsed by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, so there should be no excuses for these elected officials not to get on board. Let's stay on these people until their names appear on the list of co-sponsors, which can be tracked on the Bring Sean Home website House Resolution 125 ( http://bringseanhome.org/hr125.html ) and Senate Resolution 37 (http://bringseanhome.org/senateres37.html ) If you're not sure how to get in touch with your representatives, visit www.GovTrack.us ( http://www.govtrack.us/congress/findyourreps.xpd ) and enter your zip code to show your Congressman/woman, and the names of your Senators.

We also encourage you to contact President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton ahead of President Lula&#8217;s visit to let them know you would like the Goldman abduction case on the agenda for their bilateral meetings with Brazilian government officials. You can find their contact information on the How to Help page of the Bring Sean Home website ( http://bringseanhome.org/help.html ).

Lastly, we want to thank each and every one of you for your tremendous support. The Care 2 online petition, (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/return-abducted-minor-sean-goldman-to-his-father, has grown to almost 40,000 signatures and we plan to print copies of the petition to hand deliver to Brazilian government officials the day of the rally in Washington. We have also seen our list of email subscribers grow to 5,500 and the Bring Sean Home Facebook Group ( http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=49656442761#/group.php?gid=35278616563 ) has almost 30,000 members so please continue to spread the word about this case. In addition, we recently created a MySpace page, which is off to a good start, and has a fantastic slide show created by one of David&#8217;s supporters ( http://www.myspace.com/helpbringseanhome ).

If any of you have some free time and you would like to volunteer your efforts during this crucial time for David and Sean, please let us know. You can visit the Discussion Boards on our Facebook Group or the Forums on the www.BringSeanHome.org website for instructions on how to get involved. We&#8217;d also like to mention that Rio de Janeiro is a finalist city for the 2016 Summer Olympics and we are in the process of organizing a campaign to make the Goldman abduction case an issue if Sean is not returned -- more information on that topic to come later.

Let&#8217;s get to work and make sure that Sean is on an airplane soon on his way home.

Thank you,
Friends of David Goldman
http://bringseanhome.org

RALLY INFORMATION!!!

Date: March 14, 2009
Time: 2:00pm - 5:00pm
Location: Lafayette Park, Washington DC (across from the White House)

See attached flyer and visit www.bringseanhome.org for more information.

GoldmanRallyFlyer.jpg

House Resolution is up for vote today....it's being covered on C-SPAN right now!!! :woohoo:

Praying that the congressmen/women do the right thing. This Resolution must be passed. :praying:

There are approx 51 cases of US child abduction that are being held in Brazil alone...65 children.:furious:

House Resolution is up for vote today....it's being covered on C-SPAN right now!!! :woohoo:

Praying that the congressmen/women do the right thing. This Resolution must be passed. :praying:

There are approx 51 cases of US child abduction that are being held in Brazil alone...65 children.:furious:

IT PASSED!!!!!!!! :woohoo: It was amended, I believe, to also include Marty Pate's fight to have his daughter, Nicole, returned. David Goldman is also in Brazil today to undergo court ordered pyschological testing (to prove that he is 'fit') and should see his son again today. :woohoo:

We need a forum for International Child Abductions!!! There are approx 3300 American children abducted and living abroad. (Hope that number is correct...going from memory.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back