Trial Thread 7 May 2012 - Closing Arguments, Defense then the Crown

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I guess court will be back at 2;00 Ontario time???( it is 1;10 in Ontario )...ty robynhood ..I forget how long lunch is ????..still feel kind of in a HAZE from all of this....robynhood..so anxious for the Jury to reach a decision already ...

Derstine defends like a child sorry JMO She did it..I swear..it was her.....look what she said and did....PLEASE, give me and everyone else a reason why YOUR client is not guilty, why he didn't call the police or stop what was happening, anything??????

LindaNguyenPN #Raffety's mother, Deborah Murphy, tells media that her son is not guilty of #ToriStafford's murder http://t.co/ELHCjoYi

........IMO what do others think of this....My opinion ...why and how does she come to this conclusion are the thoughts crossing my mind????....Why did she not take the STAND and tell the JURY why her son called her after the murder was committed ???..MR's .blackberry phone records said he called home! ...puzzled ???>>>>>>..robynhood

I'm not surprised. She's a mom. Most even if they feel deep down that their daughter/son is guilty as heck, they can't accept it. In this case, he's accused of one of the most heinous crimes. Kidnap, rape and murder of a child. How does a parent accept that their son or daughter is this monster????

Derstine defends like a child sorry JMO She did it..I swear..it was her.....look what she said and did....PLEASE, give me and everyone else a reason why YOUR client is not guilty, why he didn't call the police or stop what was happening, anything??????

I wanted to triple like this post

update from Randy Richmond:

Michael Rafferty's mother told reporters outside court today "he's not guilty and it hurts like hell. It hurts."

Confronted by a mob of reporters, the small woman walking with a cane said she would provide more comment later.

"I think he's got a good lawyer," she said when asked what she thought of Dirk Derstine's closing argument, which began Monday morning.

This poor woman has gone through a lot. <modsnip> MOO/JMO/IMO

This is not boring and repetitive. It needs to be refreshed in the juror's minds that the "star Crown witness" is a "prolific liar" and has zero credibility. JMO

This strategy of refreshing the jurors minds may backfire on Derstine. The jurors might be tired of the lack of substance to his arguments; may even find it insulting to their intelligence.

The focus on TLM's lies may serve to remind the jurors of just how much deceitfulness MTR is capable of. Even if his character's not on trial, the jury will be mindful that he didn't help with the recovery of little Tori (even though he knew the location) and maybe that was his self-serving way of protecting himself from DNA evidence. The longer the body was left undiscovered the fewer chances of retrieving his DNA. JMO

Steven D'Souza &#8207; @cbcsteve
Derstine questioning McClintic's take that taking Tori was randon. Eg., of the 15+ schools in Woodstock, they picked one McClintic knew

and why was MTR driving around this particular school early in the morning, Derstine?

My theory is that the defence knew he really had nothing right from the start, when they received the Crown's disclosure. That's why they introduced their only witness so as to go first with their ridiculous summation. This all would have sounded too far fetched after what the Crown has to say. At least this way it will be forgotten, as it should be.

Very good thinking--I think you are right. What an act Derstine. MOO

This strategy of refreshing the jurors minds may backfire on Derstine. The jurors might be tired of the lack of substance to his arguments; may even find it insulting to their intelligence.

The focus on TLM's lies may serve to remind the jurors of just how much deceitfulness MTR is capable of. Even if his character's not on trial, the jury will be mindful that he didn't help with the recovery of little Tori (even though he knew the location) and maybe that was his self-serving way of protecting himself from DNA evidence. The longer the body was left undiscovered the fewer chances of retrieving his DNA. JMO

I would find, if I were a juror, that Derstine was trying to Dupe me.MOO

He may have had drug drop offs in the area or other personal errands? MOO/JMO

Yes apparently that's what his lawyer said (IIRC) from one of the tweets.

You know.....errands.....like picking up percs and stuff.

It seems incredible that MR would have been talented enough to deceive and use all those women, yet be completely fooled by a teenage druggie into chauffeuring her around while she kidnapped and killed a little girl. Not only that, but he helped her clean up the crime scene and went on to dispose of evidence, then lied to the police about his involvement. Of course he participated in the kidnapping and murder! He covered it up because he felt guilty. How can he be anything but guilty?

I agree. I was just trying to make sense of the garbage coming from the defense.

Remember it is not Derstine's responsibility to do that. He is doing very well and certainly is not acting like a child. JMO

I agree but I don't think its going in his favour and he appears to be reaching for straws. JMO

Mike Knoll: @guest - there are a number of pictures of her in our evidence galleries here: http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/raffertytrial/2012/04/18/19651801.html

Mike Knoll: update from Randy Richmond:

Michael Rafferty's mother told reporters outside court today "he's not guilty and it hurts like hell. It hurts."

Confronted by a mob of reporters, the small woman walking with a cane said she would provide more comment later.

"I think he's got a good lawyer," she said when asked what she thought of Dirk Derstine's closing argument, which began Monday morning.

...I can not see any pics of MR"s mother ????...looked on that thread ???that was mentoned by reporter link posted here ????

Does anyone see them ...if they can KINDLY tell me where and # frame as I was always curious about his FAMILY????...ty robynhood...???

I think the amazing thing to me if I was a juror is to hear that the defense lawyer does not seem to have a definitive answer on what happened that day from his own client. So if he has to resort to the fact that there are multiple scenarios that might have been true, it says to me that he has not heard ONE scenario from his own client that makes enough sense to present and account for all the evidence.

I believe he is doing the best he can with what he has to work with from his client.

...I can not see any pics of MR"s mother ????...looked on that thread ???that was mentoned by reporter link posted here ????

Does anyone see them ...if they can KINDLY tell me where and # frame as I was always curious about his FAMILY????...ty robynhood...???

Hmmm...Rafferty's Mother's picture was there earlier this morning.
She has dark shoulder length hair and was quite tanned in the pic

I looked to find it for you but it has disappeared robynhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members