Woman Cited for Trespassing after Entering Maternity Ward with Fake Baby

Indy Anna

Reaction score
Tonya Whitney and a man, whom she later identified as her husband, first went into the hospital on Saturday, each carrying a lifelike doll and drawing suspicion from security officials who told the pair to leave, Merced police Capt. Tom Trindad said.

They returned to Mercy Medical Center on Monday. Police said Whitney -- this time wearing nurse's scrubs -- again tried to enter the maternity ward. Hospital security took photos of the couple and their contact information, and police notified hospitals in the area of their activity.
More at ....

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/2...passing-for-entering-hospital-with-fake-baby/

Here's a close-up photo of one of the dolls Whitney claims she made:

babydoll-web.jpg

Very detailed. There's also a picture of Whitney holding one of the dolls and the head of another doll at the link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...s-enter-maternity-ward-cops-article-1.1914555

If this incident was just a misunderstanding, why didn't the Whitneys arrange for a visit with the hospital to begin with? Hospitals, nursing homes and other public facilities do require that such visits be arranged through volunteer services. Going without an appointment to visit patients' rooms without their prior consent would violate patient privacy rights. This would be akin to someone entering a public school and walking into a classroom, claiming they were there to teach the class baby-sitting skills. Just does not seem that innocent, IMO.

Here's a close-up photo of one of the dolls Whitney claims she made:

View attachment 57461

Very detailed. There's also a picture of Whitney holding one of the dolls and the head of another doll at the link:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...s-enter-maternity-ward-cops-article-1.1914555

If this incident was just a misunderstanding, why didn't the Whitneys arrange for a visit with the hospital to begin with? Hospitals, nursing homes and other public facilities do require that such visits be arranged through volunteer services. Going without an appointment to visit patients' rooms without their prior consent would violate patient privacy rights. This would be akin to someone entering a public school and walking into a classroom, claiming they were there to teach the class baby-sitting skills. Just does not seem that innocent, IMO.

If the FB I found is indeed Whitney (I am sure it is!), it looks like she gave a baby up for adoption in 2013.

I have known a couple of women with MH issues that carry their (pretend) "babies" with them wherever they go. They feed them, change their diapers, transport them in a stroller. The "babies" are so life-like that people stop and admire them. BUT I've never heard of these women trying to take them into a maternity ward. Sure sounds like a baby swap in the making to me.

I have known a couple of women with MH issues that carry their (pretend) "babies" with them wherever they go. They feed them, change their diapers, transport them in a stroller. The "babies" are so life-like that people stop and admire them. BUT I've never heard of these women trying to take them into a maternity ward. Sure sounds like a baby swap in the making to me.

That is what I think, too.

If the FB I found is indeed Whitney (I am sure it is!), it looks like she gave a baby up for adoption in 2013.
WOW. Thank you! I realized I've been stating the couple's name as Whitney -- it's Boehs; Whitney is likely the woman's maiden name?

Wonder if they now have any children. Would be interesting to know if whether or not they can have children. I'm so glad the hospital staff were vigilant, and that this is now in the news, so may prevent the couple from trying something elsewhere.

WOW. Thank you! I realized I've been stating the couple's name as Whitney -- it's Boehs; Whitney is likely the woman's maiden name?

Wonder if they now have any children. Would be interesting to know if whether or not they can have children. I'm so glad the hospital staff were vigilant, and that this is now in the news, so may prevent the couple from trying something elsewhere.

It does not look like she does. I guess I should have linked her Facebook earlier.

https://www.facebook.com/boobookitty209?ref=br_rs&fref=browse_search

The dolls really aren't that creepy, and a lot of people make and/or collect them, some sell for $2000+. She sells hers a lot cheaper, but she was advertising them on her FB page. I've never kept any of mine, but I know some people do make them for themselves. That said, I don't know of anyone who has ever taken one to a maternity ward (except when delivering one as a gift to a new mother), and I don't really buy her story either. There are much better ways to advertise.

She says she was hoping to help the elderly and women who lost babies. I don't think a woman in the maternity ward, who had just lost her baby, is going to feel any better about a stranger coming in with a lifelike baby doll. Just saying...

The dolls really aren't that creepy, and a lot of people make and/or collect them, some sell for $2000+. She sells hers a lot cheaper, but she was advertising them on her FB page. I've never kept any of mine, but I know some people do make them for themselves. That said, I don't know of anyone who has ever taken one to a maternity ward (except when delivering one as a gift to a new mother), and I don't really buy her story either. There are much better ways to advertise.

I'm trying to figure out why a new mother would want one?

I'm trying to figure out why a new mother would want one?
I've known new mothers who wanted one to look like her baby so she could have a remembrance of that time when the baby was grown up. I've never known a new mother to buy a generic one (especially while she was still in the hospital). I've also never known anyone who had just lost her baby to want to buy an imitation replacement. I would think that any woman who did also had some kind of emotional problems other than just grief.

I was mainly responding about the dolls themselves, and why she would/could be making and selling them. My first thought when I read the story was that they planned to exchange the doll for a baby in the nursery. Nothing has really changed my mind about that. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back