The ransom note - Patsy or intruder? It's all in the detail.

Callan you need to go to acandyrose, which has a very extensive analysis of the similarities between Patsy's handwriting and the laughable ransom note--The evidence is clear and strong: Patsy wrote the note, and Patsy was the killer

there was a time when i thought the ONLY person JR & PR would cover for was Burke, but there's no doubt in my mind that Patsy killed JonBenet...it's clear that she wrote the 'ransom' note.....her & JR had to cover for each other, imo.....

Thanks Ames id apprechiate it, because it was when i saw that particular signiture that my mind was blown away on the rn issue.

Charlie...

RiverRat...a poster that posts here...and over at FFJ...just posted a thread addressing this. They are trying to help me figure out who had that in their signature. Just give us some time...we will figure it out. Apparently, the poster that had it ...has removed it. Either that...or I am overlooking it.

... It was suggested, that the word 'bring' could have been written by Patsy Ramsey [out of context] because she was born and raised in the the 'Deep South' . However, I was able to provide examples of her vocabulary, which showed that this was NOT the case....

Callan, I'm not picking a fight with you so please don't take it that way, okay. Patsy was born and raised in West Virginia on the upper part near the Ohio River. That isn't the "South" and certainly not the "Deep South."

"Bring it to me" and other forms of "to bring" is not only southern, it is also what is called "mountain talk." Patsy didn't sound southern and she didn't act southern in the videos I've seen. To me, Patsy came across as someone who tried to be southern by acting like she thought Scarlett O'Hara would act. Patsy acted like a "town person" from West Virginia.

You forgot to put a period or an exclamation point after this "Patsy wrote the note, and Patsy was the killer". A question mark would be bad english, very very bad english.

"Patsy was the killer" sounds like a good line in a poem. It would be fitting since Lizzie and Patsy were about 100 years apart and both had a romance with an intruder.

Morning Albert,

Could you elaborate on the "romance with an intruder." I've often wondered if a third person came in that night to see John or Patsy, maybe exchange a Christmas gift and say temporary "good-byes" since the Ramseys were going to be out of town for a while. Maybe JonBenet walked in on something???????

Patsy saying, "We didn't mean for this to happen" and "They killed my baby," and John saying "I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry," strike me as sincere.

In my opinion, the evidence shows that Patsy wrote the note and Patsy was involved in the staging. Other than that, I'm on the fence about what may have happened although I lean toward Det. Thomas knowing what he was talking about.

Callan, I'm not picking a fight with you so please don't take it that way, okay. Patsy was born and raised in West Virginia on the upper part near the Ohio River. That isn't the "South" and certainly not the "Deep South."

"Bring it to me" and other forms of "to bring" is not only southern, it is also what is called "mountain talk." Patsy didn't sound southern and she didn't act southern in the videos I've seen. To me, Patsy came across as someone who tried to be southern by acting like she thought Scarlett O'Hara would act. Patsy acted like a "town person" from West Virginia.

Okay, I take your point about where she was born and raised.

Let us say that Patsy wrote the note, then we have to assume that she used that word in the context of ''mountain talk''.

Please look at the following:

April 30th 1997

Police interview with Patsy Ramsey

''... I was taking groceries and dinners and ...''

''... and wrapped the stuff for taking to the lake ...''

''... presents to take up there ...''

Now the ransom note alternative:

''... I was bringing groceries and dinners and ...''

''... and wrapped the stuff for bringing to the lake ...''

''... presents to bring up there ...''

She was being interrogated by two experienced detectives, yet she still managed to use the word 'take' or 'taking'. How?

By the way, is anyone ever going to offer an explanation, in regard of the 'letter U' post?

You offer up reasons why certain parts of her handwriting point to her being the note writer, but on this matter - the silence is deafening. :silenced:

Maybe i read your post wrong, i thought you were trying to illustrate that the occurrences of patsy's letter writing style was significantly low in the rn when compared to her samples, therefore you concluded Patsy could not have been the rn author? You also mentioned that the rn was most likely written fast due to the editing of the rn ie words being crossed out and rewritten. I was suggesting in response to that when a person writes something of length fast they usually can't sustain their normal writing style as opposed to writing it slowly and it being well thought out.

I was implying that if she wrote the note fast, it would be impossible for her to not write a certain individual letter [see the letter U posting] without reverting at some stage, to her natural style. The mistakes in the ransom note, indicate that it was written fast, because if it was written slowly, the writer would obviously pre-empt any errors.

Okay, I take your point about where she was born and raised.

Let us say that Patsy wrote the note, then we have to assume that she used that word in the context of ''mountain talk''.

Please look at the following:

April 30th 1997

Police interview with Patsy Ramsey

''... I was taking groceries and dinners and ...''

''... and wrapped the stuff for taking to the lake ...''

''... presents to take up there ...''

Now the ransom note alternative:

''... I was bringing groceries and dinners and ...''

''... and wrapped the stuff for bringing to the lake ...''

''... presents to bring up there ...''

She was being interrogated by two experienced detectives, yet she still managed to use the word 'take' or 'taking'. How?

Thanks, Callan. I won't assume "mountain talk," since I think Patsy tried her best to sound southern. :) (My mother-in-law was born and raised in Atlanta, FWIW.)

I don't know of any way to account for it. Possibly the note was written that way purposely. Some think whoever wrote the note was trying to point to someone in particular as the killer (apparently to point to someone perceived as southern).

There are statements saying that Patsy used the term "good southern common sense" when speaking to John in a teasing way.

In my experience, when people are over-stressed and excited and not trying to use guile, they often revert to speaking in a way they heard when they first learned to talk. So, was the note writer being natural or deceptive? I think deceptive.

In your above examples, you start your sentence with "I" or use examples where Patsy was referring to herself doing a certain act. Using a form of "to take" when referring to yourself is also a southern structure since had the example been a directive using "you" instead of "I", perhaps you would be told to "bring" something, not "take" it. That is also the context in the ransom note since John is told to "bring" the money. The tense of the sentence would make a difference in whether one would use a form of "to take" or "to bring."

Also, if you asked Patsy a question that could be answered after-the-fact, she may have said:

''... I brought the groceries and dinners and [to Charlevoix where I am now]...''

''... and wrapped the stuff for taking to the lake ...'' (I brought stuff to the lake (said after arriving in Charlevoix).

''... presents to take up there ...'' (I brought these presents to Charlevoix (said after arriving in Charlevoix).

Had she been in Charlevoix and asked about something at Charlevoix, the above may have been her responses. It is just hard to speculate about the maybes.

By the way, is anyone ever going to offer an explanation, in regard of the 'letter U' post?

You offer up reasons why certain parts of her handwriting point to her being the note writer, but on this matter - the silence is deafening. :silenced:

Callan, I don't have the qualifications needed to comment, so I defer to the opinion of the QDEs, who've already done our job for us, in my opinion. My qualifications are in criminal psychology and deviant behavior. I'll be happy to talk with you about perverts.

Callan, I don't have the qualifications needed to comment, so I defer to the opinion of the QDEs, who've already done our job for us, in my opinion. My qualifications are in criminal psychology and deviant behavior. I'll be happy to talk with you about perverts.

:laugh: :laugh:

I just love your posts. I do.

http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/commonerrorsinenglish.html

Bring vs Take

"When we​
go to the party on Saturday, let’s bring a bottle of wine."

This is INCORRECT.​
When you are viewing the movement of something from the point of arrival, use "bring":
* "When you come to the party, please bring a bottle of wine."
This is CORRECT.
When you are viewing the movement of something from the point of departure, use "take":
* "When we go to the party, let’s take a bottle of wine."
This is CORRECT.

-Tea

I was born and raised in a large urban New Jersey city. I still live in NJ. I have always used BRING like this: "Let's BRING a bottle of wine when we go to the party." I would never say "Take" in that instance. I "take" a shower. I "take" a number.
But I "bring" a jacket with me. I "bring" a cake when I visit.

Thanks Ames id apprechiate it, because it was when i saw that particular signiture that my mind was blown away on the rn issue.

Charlie..and other posters, especially those of you that are IDI's...

Take a look at this....its an enlarged version of Patsy's lower case Q...and the RN author's lower case Q, they both look like a figure 8.

Post #7

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/showthread.php?p=153234#post153234

Cherokee was so kind to enlarge it for us. While you are at it check out POST #5...Cherokee enlarged other letters, too, and more than the Q, were identical...I don't see how ANYBODY can look at these two posts...and STILL say that Patsy did not write that ransom note...they are in complete denial, if they do.

I think JR dictated parts of the RN to Patsy,starting with 'listen carefully'. wouldn't 'read this carefully',make more sense? If I wanted someone to carefully consider what was written,it would be either that,or 'read this very closely'.
so perhaps JR dictating to her,caused her to write 'bring' instead of take?

A real RN wouldn't say "listen OR read carefully". It would say- "We have your daughter. We want ____dollars. Don't call the cops. "

Most RNs don't even say that they will call. They will call, and of course, parents will wait for that call as long as it takes.

I was implying that if she wrote the note fast, it would be impossible for her to not write a certain individual letter [see the letter U posting] without reverting at some stage, to her natural style. The mistakes in the ransom note, indicate that it was written fast, because if it was written slowly, the writer would obviously pre-empt any errors.

ok now i'm following you. We obviously have completly different views on how ones writting style would behave under a time constraint. Your saying Patsy's natural writting style would naturally revert due rn being written so fast and i'm saying the opposite in that her natural writtng style would change because of the rn being written fast. i wonder who of us is correct, i guess since neither of us are experts in writting analysis, neither of us will ever know.

I think her writing style remained the same. The RN sounds like her Christmas newsletters. Her handwriting looks a bit shakier, but still looks like hers. I would think that writing that note, after you know your child is lying dead in the basement (and you had something to do with it) it would be highly unusual for a person's handwriting NOT to look shaky.
I think too much is being made of the "bring-take" thing. Lots of people use bring when take is more correct.

I think too much is being made of the "bring-take" thing. Lots of people use bring when take is more correct.

Yes, that is true, but you are completely missing the point. If Patsy Ramsey was one of these 'lots of people' and that is why it is in the note, why did she not say 'bring' instead of 'taking or take' during the police interview?

A real RN wouldn't say "listen OR read carefully". It would say- "We have your daughter. We want ____dollars. Don't call the cops. "

Most RNs don't even say that they will call. They will call, and of course, parents will wait for that call as long as it takes.

The reason why it was written like that, is because it was written by a crime film freak.

Dirty Harry

''If we catch you talking to a stray cat ... she dies!'' [The ransom note states 'dog'.]

''The delivery will be exhausting ... so I advise you to be well rested.''

Ransom

''... I will kill him! ... I will kill him! ... I will kill him! ...''

Also from 'Ransom' the father character, is puzzled by why such a low amount of money is asked for.

Ricochet

The film contained pictures of people, with their faces crossed out.

Seven

A proper burial is refered to.

Speed

''Don't try and grow a brain!''

ALL these films were being shown somewhere, at the time of the murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back