GUILTY PA - Sherry Leighty, 21, Altoona, 1 October 1999

What if her father DID see her on Sunday... but they just also assumed that was the day she was dropped off at work?
Maybe Dad saw her Sunday and then she was supposed to be dropped off Monday since Labor Ready wasn't open Sunday?
(I for the record don't believe she was ever dropped off to begin with. But this is just a theory for how the days could be wrong.)

The article is incorrect. They posted that about a week or so ago. I was sent a copy to look over & they had several things incorrect which I sent them it back telling them what was wrong in the article; I never noticed they had my dad as seeing her on the 26th or I would've corrected that also. My father didn't realize she was missing until after her birthday, when she never contacted him so she could pick up her birthday card.

Ok..so the ex or ex in-laws did not report Sherry missing or call around to see where she was when she didn't return home after they say they dropped her off at work? And AL said the last time he saw her was on the 26th? When is the last time anyone in the family spoke to Sherry?

Ok..so the ex or ex in-laws did not report Sherry missing or call around to see where she was when she didn't return home after they say they dropped her off at work? And AL said the last time he saw her was on the 26th? When is the last time anyone in the family spoke to Sherry?

My father was the one who called the APD about Sherry being missing.
I don't remember the exact day I spoke to Sherry on the phone, it was around the first week or so in September. My youngest brother was with Sherry I believe the weekend prior to the 26th, at a birthday party. As far as my dad, I don't remember the last time he spoke with or seen her. He called me either on her birthday or the day after to see if I heard from her & told him no, why & he said because she never came by to get her birthday card.

My father was the one who called the APD about Sherry being missing.
I don't remember the exact day I spoke to Sherry on the phone, it was around the first week or so in September. My youngest brother was with Sherry I believe the weekend prior to the 26th, at a birthday party. As far as my dad, I don't remember the last time he spoke with or seen her. He called me either on her birthday or the day after to see if I heard from her & told him no, why & he said because she never came by to get her birthday card.

Ok so the ex family never called your dad, you or your brother to see if you had seen or heard from Sherry?

Is LE being more helpful or are they still not treating this like they should? If they are not, I really think you should try to find a pro bono lawyer to help your family. Here is a link for the Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network http://www.palegalaid.net/

Ok so the ex family never called your dad, you or your brother to see if you had seen or heard from Sherry?

Is LE being more helpful or are they still not treating this like they should? If they are not, I really think you should try to find a pro bono lawyer to help your family. Here is a link for the Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network http://www.palegalaid.net/

No, they never contacted to us to let us know she never came back after work.

Thanks for the website, I'll check it out. If things don't start improving I will definitely look into seeing what can be done legally. Thanks again!

Shellbellz,

Have you contacted any of the big missing person organizations? They provide many services, all of which are free. Some can provide legal help and also private investigators at no cost to the family. Also they have experience in missing person cases and they work with the police and can sometimes get more information. They would also know and have access to means of looking up records and finding information that aren't generally available to the public.

I think one of these organizations could probably be a lot of help to you. Just please make sure that you research anyone offering their help or services, and make sure they are licensed, registered, legitimate, and have a good reputation.

I would say maybe contact NCMEC. They are for missing children, but they are highly reputable and I'm sure they would be happy to give you the names and contact info for several missing adult organizations. You could also contact Marc Klaas and I'm sure he would also be happy to give you the contact information for some reputable organizations for missing persons. Also you can ask the police if they can assign a victims advocate to you who would also know reputable missing person orgs.

I hope this helps. I haven't been posting in here, but I've been reading along and trying to research, and I'm praying for Sherry and you and everyone who loves her.

I submitted my DNA this morning.

Awesome ! You're on fire to get her found and don't let this go cold again.
I can't imagine your agony. I wonder if you could meet with the kids a little more regularly for a meal or something. Just to chat and get to know them, but
who knows if they might inadvertently say something interesting.

Also as for the divorce records at the court house. Does anyone know what power a JUDGE has to bring an investigation? For example Shells goes to get the paper work and sees something very odd ... says to the judge who granted the divorce ' isnt this odd' and then could that judge say to LE and APD , you must open this case, I gave this divorce under very wrong information and now I suspect foul play or something like that? I'm unsure what power a divorce judge or any judge has to take action. TIY if anyone knows.

Shells, praying for you girl :)

I have been looking for potential matches amongst unidentified persons but don't know if it is appropriate to discuss those in this forum. I do not want to post anything that would be upsetting to shellbellz216. So if there is a different place to discuss matches I would post there instead.

I have been looking for potential matches amongst unidentified persons but don't know if it is appropriate to discuss those in this forum. I do not want to post anything that would be upsetting to shellbellz216. So if there is a different place to discuss matches I would post there instead.

Here is the UID forums The Unidentified - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Not sure if you have been in that section yet or not but, in case you haven't, there are tons of UID's listed. See if any of the ones you were looking at are there and if not start a thread. Hope that helps and look forward to seeing your potential matches.

Shellbellz,

Have you contacted any of the big missing person organizations? They provide many services, all of which are free. Some can provide legal help and also private investigators at no cost to the family. Also they have experience in missing person cases and they work with the police and can sometimes get more information. They would also know and have access to means of looking up records and finding information that aren't generally available to the public.

I think one of these organizations could probably be a lot of help to you. Just please make sure that you research anyone offering their help or services, and make sure they are licensed, registered, legitimate, and have a good reputation.

I would say maybe contact NCMEC. They are for missing children, but they are highly reputable and I'm sure they would be happy to give you the names and contact info for several missing adult organizations. You could also contact Marc Klaas and I'm sure he would also be happy to give you the contact information for some reputable organizations for missing persons. Also you can ask the police if they can assign a victims advocate to you who would also know reputable missing person orgs.

I hope this helps. I haven't been posting in here, but I've been reading along and trying to research, and I'm praying for Sherry and you and everyone who loves her.

I've tried Marc Klass on fb and never got a response back. I just sent NCMEC a message so I'll see where that goes. Thanks for help, it's greatly appreciated.

Shelly,

My husband is from Ebensburg, and I am a little familiar with Altoona, (Logan Valley Mall, Altoona Curve etc) Just to put it out there.

Do you think Sherry's ex in laws would be capable of hurting Sherry or would cover up for their son?

I texted my husband and asked him if the last name Leighty from Altoona ran a bell and he said kind of... He is about the same age as Sherry and I thought he could know the ex... I texted him his first name (I figured it out) and am waiting to hear back. I see the ex a couple of years older than Sherry and they were young parents... (just like myself)

I hope you get answers Shelly and I hope the ex and his family will cooperate.

Someone just posted this link on the Dylan Redwine thread.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDPS-CBIInvestigations/CBON/1251621980221

It is not related BUT it does talk about the state of CO"s ' responsibility' when it comes to missing kids and what they MUST do when a child is missing. I'm wondering can we find any type of similar procedures in PA for missing kids AND adults. If there is such a thing and you can A ) see if APD has followed these ( looks like they did not) and if not then contact a higher up to get it done and B ) at least get her name on more registries !

Hang in there Shells !

I would think if one of her kids became an adult and was really seeking to find their mom that LE might be more inclined to look into it again. Are any of the children nearing adulthood?

I thought Shelly said the oldest was a son and was 20 and the two younger girls were in their teens.

Shelly,

My husband is from Ebensburg, and I am a little familiar with Altoona, (Logan Valley Mall, Altoona Curve etc) Just to put it out there.

Do you think Sherry's ex in laws would be capable of hurting Sherry or would cover up for their son?

I texted my husband and asked him if the last name Leighty from Altoona ran a bell and he said kind of... He is about the same age as Sherry and I thought he could know the ex... I texted him his first name (I figured it out) and am waiting to hear back. I see the ex a couple of years older than Sherry and they were young parents... (just like myself)

I hope you get answers Shelly and I hope the ex and his family will cooperate.

All I can say is they were the last to see Sherry that day and I hope they do cooperate.

Shellbellz, You mentioned that the ex husband drove a truck at one point. Was that long distance or local ? Do you know if he drove a specific route i.e. Altoona to NYC or made random runs. Also what business was his father/family in?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back