NC NC - Matthew Stewart, 31, Mooresville, 9 Jun 2009

spclk

Reaction score
This is creepily similar to the 2 cases in California.............

A shocking crime in Mooresville has a neighborhood on edge and police searching for clues.
Early Tuesday morning, a man broke into a home in the Gabriel Estates subdivision. The suspect shot and killed Matthew Ryan Stewart, and he also shot Stewart's wife, Angela.
Stewart was shot in the arm, but she grabbed her 2-year-old in the other arm and ran for help at a neighbor's house.
When officers arrived, they found her her husband, Matthew Ryan Stewart, shot to death inside the house.
Two of the couple's three children were at home at the time, but they were not hurt.

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=10503063

More info from another article:

Police found Matthew Stewart, 31, dead on the second floor of his home on Shepherd Hill Drive. Police said Stewart, his wife, Angela, and two of the couple's three children were home when men broke into the home in Gabriel Estates just after midnight.

Stewart tried to fight off the attackers, and his wife was shot in the arm. She managed to run to a neighbor to call for help.

"She came to the door and said she'd been shot. She said call 911, because her husband was struggling with the intruder," Mike Lawson told Eyewitness News. Lawson lives with his wife and daughter-in-law across the street from the Stewarts.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/19705722/detail.html

This happened just a few miles from me, in a town with very little crime - I've talked to a lot of people today that were really freaked out about it. The only information I've heard about a suspect was that some people were suspicious of the wife, but I think their only basis was that she ran out of the house with one child and could have been leaving the other two kids with a gunman... seems odd, maybe, I don't know.

It's eerie to think of that happening so close to home, though - I go out walking almost every night and never think twice about it. It's easily one of the safest communities I've ever lived in.

This happened just a few miles from me, in a town with very little crime - I've talked to a lot of people today that were really freaked out about it. The only information I've heard about a suspect was that some people were suspicious of the wife, but I think their only basis was that she ran out of the house with one child and could have been leaving the other two kids with a gunman... seems odd, maybe, I don't know.

It's eerie to think of that happening so close to home, though - I go out walking almost every night and never think twice about it. It's easily one of the safest communities I've ever lived in.

I do find her story somewhat odd.

imo

They could clear her story up pretty quickly with a GSR test, unless, of course she hired someone. Still, I don't know that if I wanted someone dead and hired someone else to do the deed, that I would let them shoot me. Nope, not even in the arm.

Doesn't sound like the family suspects the wife at this time.

From your link:

Matt was my cousin. He was just a great person all around. I would pull his hair when i was a little girl and he still had hair. I will really miss seeing him up at the hopital because he would take me around and tell everyone who i was and they would all say that i look like his daughter, nomi. The whole family is having a very hard time. I was with them all day yesterday and nomi keeps going around saying where's daddy, i want daddy. I dont think that any of us really know how to answer that. So please just pray for the family. And please pray for Angel because she might have to have surgery today because she was actually hit in the wrist, through and through.

It would be hard to leave another child in the house with an intruder, but I could understand that if another child was in the basement or a bedroom out of sight, while one child was in the room near you, it would be feasible to grab the child most accessible and pray that the other one would hide or leave through a window. I'd imagine under the circumstances she would be panicked.

I might have missed it, but does anyone know how old the children are? As in, are they old enough to be witnesses?

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?S=10513922

The investigation into who killed a Mooresville father continued Wednesday night. Matthew Stewart, 31, was killed for no apparent reason, and his wife who survived describes the shooter as a silent killer.
Angela Stewart told police an intruder came into her bedroom and started shooting without ever saying a word. She said she has no idea why anyone would target her family.
Police said It does not appear that anything was stolen from the home, and it is possible this was a random murder.
The police chief said he is not ruling anything out, but he also said that neighbors in the Gabriel Estates subdivision should not be overly concerned. (more at link)

From link above:

She rang the doorbell, and then she come to the door, and she looked at me and said she'd been shot," said Mike Lawson.
Lawson said Angela was carrying her two-year-old son, and they were both covered in blood. Lawson added that Angela never mentioned her six-year-old daughter was still sleeping inside.
"When the police finally went into the house, they got her first," said Lawson. "We were looking through the window, and we saw the police officer... come out the front door with her."

I find it very odd that she did not even mention that her 6 year old was still inside. NEVER would I have left my child inside with a killer much less not told anyone she was inside.

Hucklepie, I live in a community just a few miles North where we have seen 2 couples murdered in their homes in recent years. This area was always just a sleepy, safe little town, but not anymore.

My bet is that this crime was personal and whoever did this had a target in mind going in.

From link above:

She rang the doorbell, and then she come to the door, and she looked at me and said she'd been shot," said Mike Lawson.
Lawson said Angela was carrying her two-year-old son, and they were both covered in blood. Lawson added that Angela never mentioned her six-year-old daughter was still sleeping inside.
"When the police finally went into the house, they got her first," said Lawson. "We were looking through the window, and we saw the police officer... come out the front door with her."

I find it very odd that she did not even mention that her 6 year old was still inside. NEVER would I have left my child inside with a killer much less not told anyone she was inside.

Hucklepie, I live in a community just a few miles North where we have seen 2 couples murdered in their homes in recent years. This area was always just a sleepy, safe little town, but not anymore.

My bet is that this crime was personal and whoever did this had a target in mind going in.

Sorry, I must have missed that part. :doh:

Does sound very odd. I'm usually saying "I hope it wasn't the husband" but this time I hope it wasn't the wife :banghead:

The local newspaper had an article about it online today and said that the only description the wife has been able to provide of the killer is that it was a tall male. That, to me, doesn't do much to relieve the community of suspicion - granted, I've never been face-to-face with a killer, but you'd think she'd know SOMETHING more than "He was tall."

Local opinion is still that the wife was involved. The husband who was shot was a nurse at Lake Norman Regional Medical Center.

Paging Ball and Farese. Ball and Farese, please pick up the white phone.

Geez.. I hate to say it but i have a red flag going up on this one... from the first read thru of the stroy and nothing in the subsquent posts have changed that.. hmm however I have been wrong before .. but not often
I hope I am in this case for the sake ofthe kids... otherwise it will be another set of children who will have lost both parents and have a legacy of horror.

I live in the area and have a red flag going up as well. I have a lot of questions - were there signs of forced entry? When did this alleged gunman get out of the house - while she was banging on the neighbors' door? If that is the case, she would have been able to see how he left - on foot? In a car? There have not been a lot of details released and not a lot of local coverage. By all accounts they were a loving, church going couple but something is weird here. The fact that the police have said that Mooresville should not be alarmed about a random killer on the loose says a lot, IMO.

It's not an especially busy neighborhood, either, so it's likely that a car couldn't have gone speeding away without someone noticing, even late at night. The local newspaper is full of people defending the couple and not many people are willing to speak up with suspicions, but I'm thinking it HAS to be an inside kind of thing. None of my coworkers have been worried, and I've hardly heard anyone mention it around town outside of the newspaper article.

This seems familiar to the murder of Quinn Witherspoon by his wife Misty.
Quinn was extremely well liked, great dad and from a well respected family.
Matt was well liked as in no enemies type of guy, everyones' friend.
The Stewarts lived in an area that is not a home invasion kinda place. That would be south in Charlotte.

Here's some info from a commenter on a news site

http://www2.statesville.com/content...carce-shooting-death-police-say/c_2/#comments

"I knew the family and I hate to say it but I do believe Angel and her mother had something to do with it! Brenda "has a bad feeling" so she drives from Charlotte in the middle of the night and when she arrives at Matt's house and see's police everywhere, she doesn't jump out of her car and scream "What's going on? Is my family ok?" No, she just keeps driving around the neighborhood, and finally an officer stops her and asks her who she is and why she keeps driving by! Also, what idiot leaves their baby in their house where a masked gunman has just shot you and your husband is fighting with the guy? If any one knows the neighbor hood, they will realize that their house was not targeted for robbery. And no forced entry? That's because Angel left the door unlocked for someone to quietly sneak in and suprise Matt. Don't you think it's strange that Angel has only a flesh wound even thought she was shot a point blank range and Matt was basically slaughtered? They need to check the kids for high doses of Benadryl. Please people use common sense."

I don't know where the commenter is getting their information from or how accurate it is, but I thought y'all might like to be aware of it.

I saw that comment on the newspaper's website this morning - thanks for posting it!

I just get the feeling that it's GOT to be the wife, or that the police definitely know more than they're saying, because it's not making headlines around here at all. Murders are rare in Mooresville, and you'd think it would be the top story in the local news. A boy died in a fire earlier this spring and it was one of the top headlines for a week or more - if an accidental death was that newsworthy, I would think a murder by an unknown "stranger" would be even more tantalizing for the local news.

I saw that comment on the newspaper's website this morning - thanks for posting it!

I just get the feeling that it's GOT to be the wife, or that the police definitely know more than they're saying, because it's not making headlines around here at all. Murders are rare in Mooresville, and you'd think it would be the top story in the local news. A boy died in a fire earlier this spring and it was one of the top headlines for a week or more - if an accidental death was that newsworthy, I would think a murder by an unknown "stranger" would be even more tantalizing for the local news.

Yehp....Anytime a police chief says the neighborhood should not be "overly concerned" that tells me they know whodunnit. Since it is so early in their investigation, I think she had something to do with this. :mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back