GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.macon.com/2011/07/23/1640874/fox-news-program-to-focus-on-giddings.html
Something about this article clicked when I read it. If Chief Burns is worried this case might cast a bad light on Macon, then why do it if he has his man sitting in jail already? I can't help but think IF he had evidence supporting SM as the perp, then he would just say "Thanks, but no thanks" to the television people in order to protect the town and the colleges in the area from bad press. However, if he didn't have the perp in custody and needed help finding the monster who committed this crime, then going on national television might stir some interest and lead in a new direction.

Even if they have all the evidence they need to make an arrest and eventually get a conviction, they still don't have all the body parts. The family needs closure - they need to be able to bury Lauren and give her a proper funeral. There's really no reason for him to avoid the national media at this point. If they get a conviction, then Macon PD looks good, if they get help finding the rest of the body, then Lauren can be laid to rest. If this was in fact, a neighbor upon neighbor crime, and no one who knew Lauren or McD could possibly foresee such a horrific turn of events, its not a reflection on Macon and the people who live there, but on human nature itself. Its difficult to accept the fact that not all murderers are scary strangers, but one could quite possbibly be your timid, socially awkward next door neighbor. Burns NEEDS to allow this case to be in the media spotlight. I just wish they had asked for help finding the rest of the body early on. I'm sure they could have gotten lots and lots of help from the local community in organizing search parties. I'm sure that wherever body parts are located at this point, they will also find evidence of some sort that may further link them to the peretrator.

"Three apartments that had been sealed with police “Do not enter” signs were no longer marked.

Boni Bush, co-owner of the apartments, said she received a call from a police investigator Thursday night releasing the apartments.

The formal investigation of the complex is over, said Jami Gaudet, police spokeswoman.

Gaudet said police have not received results of tests performed by the FBI on evidence related to Giddings’ death."

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/23/1640882/no-immediate-ruling-in-mcdaniels.html#ixzz1SwDgvgZq

Kind of strange that they would announce this if they haven't gotten the FBI test results back yet.

My gmail comes to my phone and my computer. You can see what I receive or send from either one without having to log back in. A convenience thing. I can get them on the road or while on the computer.

Which is one of the things I love about gmail, too, but the google chat function (which her sister mentioned) that you can use on your left sidebar of the email screen is (IMO) clumsy outside of an actual computer. For instance, I find it completely plausible that LG was like many of us---studying for hours on end with the computer up, fully logged in to social media and email, and then switching to her phone as she popped in and out of the apt. I know people have mentioned earlier in threads that if you're studying that hard, you would go underground, but I know that even when I'm in the depths of studying, I sometimes play a game with myself in that if I get through a module or chapter, I'll allow myself to check in w/ email or facebook as a little study break or reward for slogging it out! :)

IMO, it's not implausible that she'd stay logged in all the time on her computer AND phone. It's also completely plausible that someone entered her apartment for nefarious purposes---and as we discussed, the probability that this person is "close" to her (in knowledge, obsession, etc...) would take advantage of the fact that she stayed logged in (speculation, but seemingly substantiated by her sister) and know who a solid person in her gmail address book would be to email. I'm sure it would not be secret who she was dating, and to be honest, dating a top flight attorney from the most prestigious law firm in the state is not inconspicuous---especially for a 27 year old girl. He would be in her contacts, at the ready to email whether or not we believe LG sent that email. In gmail, the contacts who you email most generally come up the fastest.

The email is so significant---I'd love to know how the "voice" of that email compares with normal LG emails.

"Three apartments that had been sealed with police “Do not enter” signs were no longer marked.

Boni Bush, co-owner of the apartments, said she received a call from a police investigator Thursday night releasing the apartments.

The formal investigation of the complex is over, said Jami Gaudet, police spokeswoman.

Gaudet said police have not received results of tests performed by the FBI on evidence related to Giddings’ death."

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/23/1640882/no-immediate-ruling-in-mcdaniels.html#ixzz1SwDgvgZq

Kind of strange that they would announce this if they haven't gotten the FBI test results back yet.

Agreed. And maybe you can answer this: Do we really believe that Macon LE is sitting around waiting for a massive package via snail mail from the FBI? There are several times that they have referenced the "mail." Color me cynical, but I find it hard to believe that Quantico would send these type forensics in a flat rate priority mail envelope, kwim? I mean, secure server email maybe? FBI field agent delivery? There just would seem to be too much room for error in trusting this kind of sensitive information in a non-secure method of transport. The local emphasis on "We're just waitin' on the mail..." has me rolling my eyes.:twocents:

originally posted above by midstateMinds -

"Agreed. And maybe you can answer this: Do we really believe that Macon LE is sitting around waiting for a massive package via snail mail from the FBI? There are several times that they have referenced the "mail." Color me cynical, but I find it hard to believe that Quantico would send these type forensics in a flat rate priority mail envelope, kwim? I mean, secure server email maybe? FBI field agent delivery? There just would seem to be too much room for error in trusting this kind of sensitive information in a non-secure method of transport. The local emphasis on "We're just waitin' on the mail..." has me rolling my eyes. "

No, I don't think they are waiting for anything via "snail mail" from the FBI. I don't think I've read that anywhere. They did say they have received emails from the FBI and I believe they did say they went back out to the apartments to search again based upon those emails. If anything was to be received via "snail mail", (i.e. certified copies of lab results to be used later at trial possibly), they wouldn't need that to make an arrest. They could get all they need from the FBI via a phone call in order to make an arrest.

Yes Colonel - I find these remarks/ facts very telling indeed.

They say they are done yet they also say they have no word from the FBI on the forensic test results...all at the same time they seem to be allowing national media in. Hummmmmm

This seems to indicate to me that they don't have anything solid, on anyone at this point.

I hope I am wrong.

Yes Colonel - I find these remarks/ facts very telling indeed.

They say they are done yet they also say they have no word from the FBI on the forensic test results...all at the same time they seem to be allowing national media in. Hummmmmm

This seems to indicate to me that they don't have anything solid, on anyone at this point.

I hope I am wrong.

I hope so too. I do know that they have received some results back regarding the apartments. Hopefully they will make an announcement on the Fox News show at 9:00 tonight. Maybe this whole thing will bust wide open tonight and we will find out what all they have - finally. I seriously don't see them holding a national press conference to say "We still don't know anything".

originally posted above by midstateMinds -

"Agreed. And maybe you can answer this: Do we really believe that Macon LE is sitting around waiting for a massive package via snail mail from the FBI? There are several times that they have referenced the "mail." Color me cynical, but I find it hard to believe that Quantico would send these type forensics in a flat rate priority mail envelope, kwim? I mean, secure server email maybe? FBI field agent delivery? There just would seem to be too much room for error in trusting this kind of sensitive information in a non-secure method of transport. The local emphasis on "We're just waitin' on the mail..." has me rolling my eyes. "

No, I don't think they are waiting for anything via "snail mail" from the FBI. I don't think I've read that anywhere. They did say they have received emails from the FBI and I believe they did say they went back out to the apartments to search again based upon those emails. If anything was to be received via "snail mail", (i.e. certified copies of lab results to be used later at trial possibly), they wouldn't need that to make an arrest. They could get all they need from the FBI via a phone call in order to make an arrest.

Thanks for that. Maybe it's just me getting tired of hearing the "we're just waiting" line. Of course, maybe it's not a line. Maybe it really is taking that long from Quantico, but it is so frustrating not to have any additional information to go on. It's forcing us all to "circle the block" with the scant information we have to date.

I hope so too. I do know that they have received some results back regarding the apartments. Hopefully they will make an announcement on the Fox News show at 9:00 tonight. Maybe this whole thing will bust wide open tonight and we will find out what all they have - finally. I seriously don't see them holding a national press conference to say "We still don't know anything".

Is all of the show tonight pre-taped? I'm not familiar at all with the program, just know what I read in the article posted earlier. Is it live and then they'd run the segments taped with her family members, Chief Burns, and the Telegraph reporter they interviewed and then just discuss it all?

Would be interesting if there was a break this weekend.

I just can't help but think that if there was any conclusive evidence, the FBI would have found it by now. It's been several weeks. I hope that's not the case, but that they're just taking their time with everything.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a break...

I think of LG every time I'm out running.

There has not been any great appeal for information or warning put out to the public, so, if THAT changes, then I would suggest that things have pivoted in the investigation.

LE would be very remiss if they had not done that, if the evidence had pointed AWAY from SM.

We wait.

Here's why I'm not expecting tonite's show to include the announcement of an arrest. First, from the standpoint of Chief Burns -- he's more likely to desire to make an announcement through hometown media first, rather than a network show that Macon folks may or may not see. Second, from the standpoint of the network show -- I would think they'd like to lay the foundation of the case so their regular viewers get interested, and then lead up to a big break in the case. Finally, I suspect the announcement will come from DA Winters rather than from the police chief. They may, of course, hold a joint press conference but I suspect the next step will be an indictment, rather than an "arrest".

SMD is already behind bars with no prospect of even getting bail on the burglary charges until the conflict of interest motion is decided. I would like to know whether the Bibb County Grand Jury is in session. Anybody know?

It is possible, of course, for Burns to say "SMD is officially being charged with the homicide" and for the indictment to come later, but at least so far Burns & Winters have been working pretty closely together. I think we'll get a resolution of the conflict of interest motion before anything else happens. JMO, of course.

. I'm sure it would not be secret who she was dating, and to be honest, dating a top flight attorney from the most prestigious law firm in the state is not inconspicuous---especially for a 27 year old girl.

<snipped for focus>

midstateMind and others, where are you getting your information about the boyfriend? Is it coming from word-of-mouth, social media ...? Not disputing it AT ALL, please understand ... it just seems that the news media has had precious little to say about him ...though it could be that I just missed it.

Lots of discussion in the LG threads here has touched on him, I know -- and I've seen a few folks get their hands slapped, sorta, for wanting to look at him as any kind of suspect. Probably plenty of solid information behind the hand-slapping, for all I know, too ... BUT...one thing I haven't seen discussed is this: If he is indeed "a top flight attorney from the most prestigious law firm in the state", gosh, isn't it just possible LG's murder could be some kind of retaliatory crime aimed at him? Don't know what kind of law he practices, etc., but somebody that powerful might have some crazy enemies...?

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/23/1641531/mcdaniels-family-moves-belongings.html

Well, I guess everything's all moved out. Now, we will just have to wait and see what, if anything, the FBI has.

I know it had to be hard moving all of McD's stuff out with the media watching. I still just feel so sad for Glenda McDaniel. You really can see how heart wrenching this is for her. I want Lauren's family to find peace and justice, but equally, I hope the McDaniel's can find some peace too.

<snipped for focus>

midstateMind and others, where are you getting your information about the boyfriend? Is it coming from word-of-mouth, social media ...? Not disputing it AT ALL, please understand ... it just seems that the news media has had precious little to say about him ...though it could be that I just missed it.

Lots of discussion in the LG threads here has touched on him, I know -- and I've seen a few folks get their hands slapped, sorta, for wanting to look at him as any kind of suspect. Probably plenty of solid information behind the hand-slapping, for all I know, too ... BUT...one thing I haven't seen discussed is this: If he is indeed "a top flight attorney from the most prestigious law firm in the state", gosh, isn't it just possible LG's murder could be some kind of retaliatory crime aimed at him? Don't know what kind of law he practices, etc., but somebody that powerful might have some crazy enemies...?

His name was released very early on. It's not precious or hard to find info. A simple web name search will show his firm and practice focus. I don't know him, don't claim to know him, etc... BUT as an Atlanta native, I do know the firm, and put simply, it's a very prestigious one. It is one of those "wow" things if a new law school grad is hired there. They only hire the best---that is what I meant by top flight--you have to be the a member of the best and brightest to work there. It's a compliment. No disrespect meant, to be clear.

I am still confused and puzzled over the lack of BF coverage and the fact he didn't have anything to do with reporting her missing. Surely they had daily or at least ever other day contact via text, chat, email
, something. IMO and I know I have said this 3 times now....there is something we are missing on the boyfriend. Can't put my finger on it......maybe he was just a " convenient boyfriend" like many of us had in college. Or maybe they were not serious at all....just puzzles me.

I am still confused and puzzled over the lack of BF coverage and the fact he didn't have anything to do with reporting her missing. Surely they had daily or at least ever other day contact via text, chat, email
, something. IMO and I know I have said this 3 times now....there is something we are missing on the boyfriend. Can't put my finger on it......maybe he was just a " convenient boyfriend" like many of us had in college. Or maybe they were not serious at all....just puzzles me.

I've not really understood that either...I mean, the guy is going on 50? Seems like a strange relationship. And his ex-girlfriend supposedly committed suicide 10 years ago...I don't know.

His name was released very early on. It's not precious or hard to find info.

I just missed it then I guess. Only knew a first name, from seeing it mentioned on here. I'll go back and look at the earliest coverage again. Thanks

I agree with midstate's frustration about the still waiting for results even on the first 74 pieces of evidence that were sent for testing and the snail mail seems utterly ridiculous.. And yes, you were correct they have made mention more than once to the results arriving by mail..a week ago Friday they made the statement that they were expecting the results to come that very day.. Yet there was an article that was posted that evening saying that they'd spoke to LE early evening and were told that they did not receive them in that days mail so they should definitely have them first thing Monday.. It's those statements and implications that are so strange.. Like they are really waiting for their mail carrier to drop off the days mail In anticipating the arrival of the results.. Doesn't make sense to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member