VA - Alexis Murphy, 17, Shipman, 3 Aug 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a Nissan...they have been known to lock themselves after a few minutes. Not sure that is what happened here but from personal experience, I know it does happens.

One thing that really bothers me...the scent leading to the clubhouse. In the 2005 Fairfax Rape & vicious attack...the victim was dragged to the clubhouse. The sketch, in Morgan H's case comes from that case and DNA linked one man to both the FFX victim and MH.

I checked the court records for SMC and he has lots of arrests for minor offenses in Appomattox County but it does not appear as if he was incarcerated at the time of MH's death. I checked court records for Nelson, Albemarle, Fairfax and Orange Counties in Virginia and found nothing further.

His last arrest was for leaving the scene of an accident...not sure if that was a felony or not. AFAIK, Virginia requires DNA for felonies and possibly not Misdemeanors. However, the Fairfax County Police arrested Vanessa Pham's killer on a simple retail charge of something similar to changing a tag on an item. But the value of the item may have made it a felony. With that arrest they actually had forensic evidence linking him to VP's murder. Had to have been DNA because, it seems, he would have been fingerprinted for his other earlier arrests.
BBM

I'm pretty sure he was sent down for 25 years in the early 90's according to MSM. Did you find that term at all?

Is it a fact that her phone hasn't been used since she left the gas station? I haven't been able to find this reported anywhere.

You know what? I based that fact on something another poster stated on the previous page. I don't recall if they provided a link for the information. I better go look - thanks for pointing that out!

hi all.. new on this forum... so bear with me.. this is my first post. I have been trying to read the AM board from post one... I've made thru page 13 so far... taking a break and skipped ahead to the last few pages.. thought I'd give a little input as a means of dipping my toes in the water :)

SMC is a domestic abuser who killed his wife, and all around absolute jerk of a guy in various other ways... but imho, I think the only possible connection he may have had with AM is if there was an "wrong place/wrong time" encounter along the way after killing his wife... and after Am left gas station... I honestly do not believe there is any personal connection between them or that he is a likely person of interest in MH or other cases out there... again, just my opinion... but I believe he is a spousal abuser turned spousal killer... verses serial

Also, I believe "Uncle Tony" is a family member who was out looking for Alexis and had not been heard from... I also believe that this is an extremely close family, including the extended family... very tight-knit...

Other things I picked up from reading through way, way, way back posts...

The FBI, I understand/believe is not allowing the family to speak hardly at all, and what little they are allowed to say is coached and only through the aunts... for the most part...

I live around this area.. I can tell you what I know.. but most is what you already have gleaned from various accounts... she was supposed to go to Lynchburg, she left home in Shipman, heading to Lovingston to gas up... that would certainly be the normal course to take... there may have been a side gas station between her house and Lovingston but with cheaper quality gas at a higher price, often dimly lit in the evening if open at all... not a place where a smart girl like her would probably stop... the Liberty gas station however, is in/next to a tiny plaza and is the biggest gas station in all of Nelson County... meaning it maybe has five pumps? AND, it even is located near the one and only stop light in the entire county.. :) In the Liberty gas station building... the same little square building, is a McDonalds.... and yep, it is the only one in the entire county too... and right across the parking lot is the only chain grocery store in the entire county, a Food Lion... So the Liberty would be a smart option for her to get gas at since it is on 29 and when leaving the gas station a right takes you straight to Lynchburg, and a left takes you straight to C'ville... 30 miles to each, roughly... so... if you want something other then groceries, gas, or a mcChicken... you have to go either to Lynchburg or Charlottesville for any good stores or anything else... Mad Heights does have a Walmart, but its small and a limited selection compared to most. Most people, even teens, around here make drives regularly to either LB or CV to shop, hair, work, etc...so for her to do this "long trip" in either direction should not be considered unusual, its actually pretty typical.

Also, as a phone/tweet/text/SM hound, AM stopped all communication from her phone shortly after leaving the gas station, as I understand it.
This to me, tells me that something happened to her within the vicinity of her getting gas... in Lovingston... very much only IMO, but I do not believe in anyway that she went to meet anyone in LB or CV... My personal opinion... and it is only just that.. is she either unintentionally met someone at, or gave a ride to someone, male or female, at the gas station, and that person either has her or harmed her... I think her online "fieriness" covers up a shy-ier girl internally... I believe a family member said in one interview that she was afraid of her own shadow... this was a little rural country girl in a newly blossoming want-to-be urban/city big girl body... Athlete and athletic yes... when with her team and on the court, yes... but psychologically... in a dangerous situation, alone... I'm not as sure...

as to her connection to family, turning tricks, pimping, having her head on straight... etc, etc..... her page... read between the posts... when asked her three most important things in her life... family was number one... having her head straight number two, money number 3... she talks a lot of talk about sex yes... mostly... um... oral... can I say that? sorry! but when straight up asked her body count, she replied only 1, and that she wished she never had... this is not a girl going out to meet guys to have sex... she is accepting offers to text, tweet, talk... and it appears to me the stuff you see when someone say they see her, more then likely is a class mate because EVERYONE KNOWS YOU HERE... There is one high school for the entire county, and not that many kids in the school! My step-daughter lives in Portsmouth and I think her graduating class had more students then NCHS does in all four grades, and PCPS has lots of high schools!

Also, the car thing... about it being left some time tuesday... 11am... that whole thing is bothering me because... I swear I saw a news article yesterday where a guy said he saw the car parked there monday when he was out for a walk... and now I cant find that article. and I remember somewhere else reading that carmike employees never noticed the car and couldnt say when it got there... so how can they now say it got there tuesday at such and such time... this doesnt sit right with me...

also someone had mentioned that due to her midnight curfew, something happening to her on her way home, around 11:30ish, prime time for partying etc.,.. and I get that line of thinking absolutely.... but again... I have to absolutely stress that this girl did not use her phone past the 7ish pm hour Saturday... she did not use her phone beyond leaving the gas station... I do not believe she she willing went somewhere... anywhere... without it... she was a few minutes from home at that point... if she had lost or broken her phone she would have turned around after getting gas rather then make a drive in either direction on 29, when it would be getting dark without a phone... way to risky with all the deer... she just would not have done it... believe me...

anyway.... all points to ponder... LoL... hows that for an introduction! sorry, I'm not usually like this... I haven't slept much this week... and I had a lot of thoughts backed up from reading from post # 1 :) lol ....I either need to make more coffee or go to bed... wow its almost time to get up! :seeya:

First, :welcome: welcome to websleuths! It's always great to get a local's perspective!

Second, can you please provide a mainstream media (MSM) link for the parts I bolded above? It's part of the rules here, we need to provide links to substantiate "facts" or else get verified as an insider on a given case if we have inside information NOT in media.

Thanks, I haven't seen nor heard that fact yet and it is very important! :seeya: !

"Called in to help by Nelson County authorities, the FBI issued a new "seeking information" poster online and in print and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children posted an updated "endangered missing" flier with new photos.

Authorities said they were pursuing leads, but were tight-lipped about the details. A judge sealed search warrants in Nelson related to the case."

<snip>
A popular girl known for her fashion sense, Murphy left home in the Nissan on Saturday evening for a shopping trip to Lynchburg.

<snip>

A prolific tweeter, Murphy remarked on her outfit on Twitter before leaving home Saturday.

"I actually look cute right now," Murphy tweeted from her handle @RealFolarin at 5:40 p.m. to her more than 11,000 followers. Some replied immediately.

A few days later, the replies turned to expressions of worry.

<snip>

At the urging of a Murphy friend, popular rapper Wale retweeted a message to his more than 3 million followers: "#FindAlexisMurphy #FindAlexisMurphy retweet my first picture please! @RealFolarin_ is missing."

http://www.newsadvance.com/news/local/article_9e3f8e9e-001f-11e3-9c33-0019bb30f31a.html

BBM - hmmmm

MoxieThyme, welcome to our crew! I wish it was on better terms.

Initially, I suspected that this started with Alexis meeting someone at the gas station. But there are a few problems with that theory, and I haven't been able to explain them away. Foremost, it seems unlikely that her car would end up in a parking lot next to her grandma's house if she had some sort of problem with a person she met at a gas station 30 miles away. Certainly, a random bad guy is unlikely to park in that particular spot out of all of the parking lots in Charlottesville. Secondly, we've had no witnesses or video to indicate that she was with someone or met someone at the gas station.

The location of her vehicle is the key for me. If some family member or family friend parked it there and walked home, then how in the heck did that person get the car in the first place? The only way is probably if the person was already in her car when she left to go to Lynchburg. Perhaps she had a friend or family member with her when she arrived home from work.

If nobody was with her, then she must have gone to that parking lot on purpose. In that case, she obviously met someone for something. This also means that she was being deceptive since this isn't where she said she was going. I find it unlikely, though, that she would go meet someone and just quit using her phone after she met this person.

As for the sheriff being puzzled about her car being found in that spot, I think it's because her phone's last ping was somewhere else entirely. Perhaps in the opposite direction, toward Lynchburg. What's in the car? I'm going to guess it's her phone.

Hi I am new to this forum and joined mainly to discuss the Alexis Murphy case but now I see there is so much more help needed on other cases.

I also believe that whatever happened to her happened in the vicinity of the Liberty gas station. I am originally from Lynchburg, VA, have driven that route numerous times and stopped at that exact gas station to refuel because it is the only one for miles.

I have reviewed her twitter, Facebook, and the and I too believe that there is a link between the comments on her "Saw yu at liberty in dem flower leggins goodness girl Lol, word? I was probably pumping gas." and her disappearance. This may have been an individual she was familiar with, and someone she had small talk with. This is a small community so more than likely everyone knows everyone.

To look at the known of the case we have her last whereabouts being a gas station, we have someone who chose to keep their status anonymous mention seeing her at that gas station in the same pants she had on the night she disappeared make that statement 18 days ago via her account and then we have an avid social media person not making contact via her twitter account after her last post on Aug. 3. The LE now has her car, and information that states it was not there until after 11am on Tuesday. There was a scent that was followed but it turned up nothing, and they never said whose scent it was. If you view the Google Ariel map of the address of the Rio Hill Apartments where her Grandma and Uncle live and the location of the car you can see that the distance was 0.8 miles away and see that this could have just been a coincidence that the car was left there, maybe by someone who had knowledge of her families location. Also one point to note that there are 2 SO registered in Charlottesville that live on Rio Drive E which is only about 4 mins away from both the family and the cars location. There is also 3 sex offenders living/working on Seminole trail where her job at Kid to kid is located. You can look them up via the RSO site with the zip code 22901 I don't think any of them are a link, but when someone is missing no stone should be left unturned.

The Newsplex's Rachel Ryan was the first reporter on the scene and spoke with the young man who alerted police to the vehicle. He says he is friends with the Murphy family and found the car around 8 p.m. on Tuesday. He says he does not know how long it has been parked at the theater.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/218610961.html

My first thought was he might have been looking in the area because she worked near by. However, her car wasn't parked right out in the open plus it is 1/2 mile away from where she worked and in the opposite direction of where she was going. I really hope the police are checking this guy out. jmo

This young man brought up questions for me, too...

If he is "friends of the family" then I imagine he could be a neighbor... So why was he all the way over by the theater?

Of course... He could be a co-worker of Alexis's at the consignment store... But then that would probably be noted as well...

Just some thoughts...

MoxieThyme, welcome to our crew! I wish it was on better terms.

Initially, I suspected that this started with Alexis meeting someone at the gas station. But there are a few problems with that theory, and I haven't been able to explain them away. Foremost, it seems unlikely that her car would end up in a parking lot next to her grandma's house if she had some sort of problem with a person she met at a gas station 30 miles away. Certainly, a random bad guy is unlikely to park in that particular spot out of all of the parking lots in Charlottesville. Secondly, we've had no witnesses or video to indicate that she was with someone or met someone at the gas station.

The location of her vehicle is the key for me. If some family member or family friend parked it there and walked home, then how in the heck did that person get the car in the first place? The only way is probably if the person was already in her car when she left to go to Lynchburg. Perhaps she had a friend or family member with her when she arrived home from work.

If nobody was with her, then she must have gone to that parking lot on purpose. In that case, she obviously met someone for something. This also means that she was being deceptive since this isn't where she said she was going. I find it unlikely, though, that she would go meet someone and just quit using her phone after she met this person.

As for the sheriff being puzzled about her car being found in that spot, I think it's because her phone's last ping was somewhere else entirely. Perhaps in the opposite direction, toward Lynchburg. What's in the car? I'm going to guess it's her phone.

But it could still be the gas station, what if it was someone she knew that was also stalking her via Twitter and . If she was willing to give away her personal information via social media, then maybe she was really a friendly person in real life too. It could have been someone who had visual of her from a location near the gas station too and may know about her family. Also, the location of her car is not exactly beside her Grandma's house it is 0.8 miles away, you can get a view of the map by typing in the two addresses. The newscaster in the interview kind of made that seem like it was next door but it wasn't they Grandma's house is parallel to the movie theater. I don't know if that is of any help but it made it seem more realistic to look at the actual map with the locations. I think you are on the right track with the gas station location.

Where was it said that she didnt use her phone after a certain time?

I dont think its a coincidence where her car was found. She had family in the area and worked close by. I have met friends and rode together to a different location in their car. I would park my car out of the way in a parking lot that wasnt used too much.

But then you have the scent to the clubhouse. Would they report 'A' scent or do you think they mean 'Her' scent? Maybe there was strict parking rules at the apt complex so she parked her car there and walked over to the apts? Do we have an aerial map of the view?

As far as switching from Lynchburg to Charlottesville.....they are the same distance. Maybe she got a call to meet someone while at the gas station and decided she could get her extensions in Cville instead and meet the person. Im sure both cities would have the same stores.

Im just thinking out loud. Its obvious something bad has happened because she was addicted to SM and hasnt reached out at all.

the young woman worked a shift at the new second-hand store, Kid to Kid, on U.S. 29 North, then returned home to the small Nelson town of Shipman, where she lives with her mother, grandmother and two brothers. According to Taylor, Alexis told her brothers she was traveling to Lynchburg to purchase hair extensions prior to a scheduled Wednesday hair appointment. She tweeted "burg bound!" on August 3, along with more than 40 other brief messages to her more than 11,000 followers.

"When she didn't come home that night, they knew something was up," says Taylor, who says her niece had a midnight curfew and that she was in constant phone contact with her mother and family.

http://www.readthehook.com/109963/missing-teen-search-continues-alexis-tiara-murphy

She was suppose to be home by midnight? I wonder when the constant phone contact ended.
Okay... This article answered part my question above...

Alexis lives with her mom, grandmother, and two brothers...

JMO

"We found out the car had been found through social media outlets, Facebook, people calling us saying they had seen it on Facebook and that the car had been found," said Angela Taylor, Alexis' Aunt.

http://www.wset.com/story/23075894/...-on-search-family-of-alexis-murphy-speaks-out

According to family, the car Alexis was driving belongs to her father and was found close to a different family member's home. Management at Carmike Six Cinemas say the car Alexis was driving showed up in their parking lot sometime after 11 a.m. Tuesday.

http://www.wset.com/story/23076250/...abc-13-exclusive-details-in-her-disappearance

Video at both links. The second link has interview with family at their home and good info in the article.

Okay... This answers part of my other question above...

"friend of family" who found car may live by Alexis' relative... Who lives by the theater/consignment store...

JMO

Can anyone provide a media source telling us exactly where her car was parked? I didn't even realize that there is a long parking lot to the south of the theater. For some reason, I imagined her parking to the west of the theater. If she parked at the south end of that lot, it would jive with the statement about her car being 50 yards from grandma's apartment. There is that short sidewalk leading directly to Rio Hill Apartments. It's about 150 feet long. I'm going to track down the photos of her car and see if I can distinguish the area based on the background and foreground.

Can anyone provide a media source telling us exactly where her car was parked? I didn't even realize that there is a long parking lot to the south of the theater. For some reason, I imagined her parking to the west of the theater. If she parked at the south end of that lot, it would jive with the statement about her car being 50 yards from grandma's apartment. There is that short sidewalk leading directly to Rio Hill Apartments. It's about 150 feet long. I'm going to track down the photos of her car and see if I can distinguish the area based on the background and foreground.

You can get an ariel of the location if you use the address of 1642 Rio Hill Drive, Charlottesville, VA, and the 2nd location just type in the Carmike theaters, on Garden Blvd and it will pull up the address. You can see in the ariel that the Arden apartments in between the two. Sorry I am new to this site and don't know how to post the image or even save it to my computer it seems. Hope that helps!

Ok in my mind the places were alot closer but after looking at a google map they arent.

Could this be a possible case of human trafficking abduction? Since the physical trail has seem to be have ended. I wonder if they have interviewed the occupants at the Arden Place apartments. All these places are less than a mile from her job. It is just a thought but this happens a lot around the world. The target people via social media also. I wonder if the FBI is looking into any chatter in forums. I know there was an article a couple months ago about a bust in Northern, VA. Again just a thought.

You can get an ariel of the location if you use the address of 1642 Rio Hill Drive, Charlottesville, VA, and the 2nd location just type in the Carmike theaters, on Garden Blvd and it will pull up the address. You can see in the ariel that the Arden apartments in between the two. Sorry I am new to this site and don't know how to post the image or even save it to my computer it seems. Hope that helps!

Thanks! With that info I threw this together -

http://goo.gl/maps/QoGKC

the locations appear to be about 200 feet from one another.

"I think I saw this girl today. I was driving west on 5th street toward the YMCA in Roanoke Va. We met at a stop sign. The girl hesitated to turn left on 5th street but went straight on I think Gilmer. The girl was driving a white car. I saw this picture and thought, “hmmm she looks a lot like the girl I saw today.” When I read the girl missing was driving a white vehicle, I figured it wouldn’t hurt to comment. The girl I saw today had 2 passengers I think."

OMG this is right near where I work!! I know exactly where she's talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆