IN - 17 Month Old Scalded By Mom's Boyfriend

Filly

KICKING AND SHINING
Reaction score
Leaving Andrew Strohmeyer to babysit for children is a very bad idea. The mother of a 17 month old girl and a three year old boy let her boyfriend watch the kids. That'd be Strohmeyer.

At some point the children got into some hiarcare products and I guess that incensed Strohmeyer who is 17 years old. He got the kids cleaned up and then figured he'd put the baby in scalding hot water in the tub. Oh and leave her there for fifteen minutes. I don't even want to imagine or even pretend to imagine that pain. The pain this poor baby went through.

Now, being the big boy he is Strohmeyer called his mommy and she came over with baking soda for the child's burns. O.K. what planet is this lady from? Unfreakinbelievable. Oh and she neglected to call even an ambulance for this child and they waited two more hours for baby momma to come home. Two hours. Two more hours. How do you do that when a child is suffering like that? IMO, Mrs. Strohmeyer should be charged with neglect as well.

The baby is in the hospital and as expected not doing too well. Poor lil thing. Poor, poor baby.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24784277/

The bf is 19, not 17 yrs old.

Either way, I hope this *advertiser censored*hole rots in prison along with his mother who was trying to protect him. :furious:

The bf is 19, not 17 yrs old.

Either way, I hope this *advertiser censored*hole rots in prison along with his mother who was trying to protect him. :furious:

You're right, YM. Sorry about that. My dollar store glasses ain't too good.

I don't think his mother will be charged. Baking soda? I never heard of that for minor burns even. I hope the poor baby isn't in pain in that hospital. I can't fathom leaving a child suffer like that for two hours.

I don't think his mother will be charged. Baking soda? I never heard of that for minor burns even. I hope the poor baby isn't in pain in that hospital. I can't fathom leaving a child suffer like that for two hours.

She was negligent in rendering aid. Any normal person, not worried about saving their own child's butt, would take the baby to the hospital and seek medical attention. One would HOPE so, anyway. :(

You're right, YM. Sorry about that. My dollar store glasses ain't too good.

Baking soda is a great home remedy for burns. Both my boys were badly sunburned at the beach a month ago and we used baking soda to help the pain. They had burns that resulted in blisters and tremendous pain, but the pain didn't start for many hours after the burn - the blisters didn't come for 2 days. I don't know if water burns are different - they may be.

I am so sad for these children, but won't throw stones at the Mom of the teenager who did this - we don't even know from the article that she knew the extent of the children's burns. For all we know, the son called her and said, the girl was burned - I need help. She came with a remedy. You might be correct that she was trying to help cover up her sons misdeed, but there's not enough info for me to make that determination.

It's hard to tell with burns - sometimes they don't "look" bad right away. Again - I'm not making excuses for the terrible thing that happened to the child - just pointing out that there is a lot we don't know. I also hate the thought of a teenager watching two toddlers - I was barely mature enough to handle that when I was in my late 30s.

Burns are the worst type of pain I personally can imagine and my prayers are with this child and this family.

sun burns are different. i have had a scald burn and as a rather pale person i have had many a sun burn. with a sunburn it is so gradual you may not realize the damage for hours. as you see the damage you begin to feel the pain. scalding on the other hand is immediate in the pain and near immediate in the sight of damage.

even if you have never had a burn from scalding you can relate. everyone has placed their hand in hot tap water and jerked back because of the sudden pain. this did not result in a burn yet you immediately felt pain.

Here's a picture of the

8368946_BG1.jpg

She was negligent in rendering aid. Any normal person, not worried about saving their own child's butt, would take the baby to the hospital and seek medical attention. One would HOPE so, anyway. :(

You are right Yeah - any normal person would be rushing to the hospital with that baby, while slapping their own child upside the head all the way! This is so sad!

{{{{hugs baby}}}}

Salem

I want to know why he is only charged with neglect and not abuse. This child is going to have to suffer through burn treatmens, possibly skin grafts. It is horrible and I can't imagine this baby having to suffer through this while this monster gets off with a couple days in jail.

And just another thought..... but why oh why was the water heater turned up so high with toddlers in the house? Isn't it just common sense that when you have little ones you turn the water heater down a few degrees so that if they accidently turn the water on themselves it can not get so hot it will burn them like this?

I wonder how hot the water was? For a little one with such tender skin, it probably doesn't need to be that hot, huh.... maybe not much more than you would use for dishes if you were washing by hand?

Salem

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/16372355/detail.html

"What makes this a serious offense is the fact that the child's skin came off very shortly after being immersed in the water," said Indianapolis Metro police Sgt. Paul Thompson. :furious:

This makes it obvious that the mother of this knew that it wasn't a burn that baking soda was going to help. She needs to be charged right along with him.

And just another thought..... but why oh why was the water heater turned up so high with toddlers in the house? Isn't it just common sense that when you have little ones you turn the water heater down a few degrees so that if they accidently turn the water on themselves it can not get so hot it will burn them like this?

I wonder how hot the water was? For a little one with such tender skin, it probably doesn't need to be that hot, huh.... maybe not much more than you would use for dishes if you were washing by hand?

Salem
when the water heater in my husbands shop stopped working we went to get a new one. we could not find 1 with a setting above 140. they told us this was due to the effort to prevent burns.

i know a child's skin is more sensitive than a adults but for the skin to actually peel off right away this water would need to be so hot the man must have felt pain just placing the child in the water.

What a scummer :furious:

Whatever stupid defense he may dream up about not realizing the water was too hot - despite the child screaming, I'm sure - you can't NOT know not to leave a child unattended in the tub.

Lock this up for life! When are we going to start protecting our children!!!!!

sun burns are different. i have had a scald burn and as a rather pale person i have had many a sun burn. with a sunburn it is so gradual you may not realize the damage for hours. as you see the damage you begin to feel the pain. scalding on the other hand is immediate in the pain and near immediate in the sight of damage.

even if you have never had a burn from scalding you can relate. everyone has placed their hand in hot tap water and jerked back because of the sudden pain. this did not result in a burn yet you immediately felt pain.

That makes sense, sherri - a sunburn sneaks out more slowly because it is a burn that develops over time. Yes - I cannot fathom this type of pain. I am horrified by what a burn victim goes through.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/16372355/detail.html

"What makes this a serious offense is the fact that the child's skin came off very shortly after being immersed in the water," said Indianapolis Metro police Sgt. Paul Thompson. :furious:

This makes it obvious that the mother of this knew that it wasn't a burn that baking soda was going to help. She needs to be charged right along with him.

My question was did the mother stay there and see this or did she just bring by baking soda. Did he downplay the injury to the Mom? I couldn't tell from the story whether or not she actually witnessed the burns. If she did - of course she should have gotten them medical help immediately.

My question was did the mother stay there and see this or did she just bring by baking soda. Did he downplay the injury to the Mom? I couldn't tell from the story whether or not she actually witnessed the burns. If she did - of course she should have gotten them medical help immediately.

SCM, from what I gathered the guy called his own mother after he realized the baby was burned. His mother brought the Baking Soda. I'd figure that meant she had no idea how bad the baby was burned.

However the mom stayed there with her son and the children for two hours until the mother of the children came home. Another words they could have gotten the baby to a hospital two hours earlier.

Thanks for the tip on the Baking Soda, SCM. I had never heard that. I use it for tons of stuff, but didn't know about it for burns. Feeling so bad for this baby's pain.

I can't believe he is charged with neglect?! I think his mother should be charged too. Maybe neglect for her...but not him. IMO, it's pretty much attempted murder. That poor, poor baby...can't stand these cases.:(

:furious:

They truly need to to start charging these mothers right along with the sick punka** 'boyfriends'.
This happens way too much.

They truly need to to start charging these mothers right along with the sick punka** 'boyfriends'.
This happens way too much.

It was the boyfriends mom not the children's mom, Right?? Where was the children's mom? I really hope she broke up with and stays away from him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back