IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the sage advice of the day seems to be -- if you successfully manage to rob a bank, don’t hijack a paddleboat as your get away vehicle. :rolling:

Well, you crook, you better hope you're never family of a victim who gets discussed on WS because all possible aspects of that conviction will be snarked over. What were you trying to conceal? Does this mean you try to hide other things?

I wish I could say I was 100% joking but...

Well if I was gonna commit a REAL crime I'dve murdered my ex hub years ago, and been out years ago, thanks to the Australian "justice" system...

A criminal record is not always a criminal record.

Actually I think it is a mistake, I'm torn between attempting to get it removed and just leaving it there as proof of their incompetence.

:)

The town must be larger than I envisioned and do the police there use volunteers? I'm thinking about the rules for finding lost pets - you know, you knock on all the neighbors doors, go to every block, post signs, that type of thing but I think going door to door is part of it, could be wrong, and I do believe someone here said they lived near the lake and no one came to their door. And I believe the rule is that if no one is home, you leave a note and ask them to call so you can get any information needed.

They cannot use volunteers in a criminal investigation.

Hi, I've been following this board for about a week, and the girls case since the beginning. I do not live in the area, but am friends of a relative of Elizabeth's parents.

This may have been covered (so forgive me if it has) but what struck me as odd from the very beginning, was the use of the word "Abducted" by the family. (mainly Misty, Tammy, and Grandma). As a mother myself, it seemed like such an alarming word and odd choice. They consistently used the word abducted way before the FBI or other authorities used it. Why were they so quick to dismiss the lake? Or just that the girls had wandered off, maybe lost or hurt somewhere? No, immediately they said abducted. To me it felt like such a contrived, planned out word.

Just my thoughts from the beginning.

Not sure if this has been posted? New info here that I haven't seen.

He said it makes sense to look into whether the abduction is linked to pending drug charges against Daniel Morrissey, Lyric’s father, a habitual felon facing decades in prison on charges of conspiracy to manufacture methamphetamines. In other cases, children have been kidnapped by rivals out of retaliation or held hostage to prevent incriminating testimony, he said.

“If they do think the dynamics are primarily around the drug cases, investigators might be more likely to think the girls are alive. They lose their value if they have been murdered,” he said.

Court records show Morrissey, 36, appeared in court for a change of plea hearing in one of his drug cases the day before the kids vanished but did not plead guilty. Prosecutor Brad Walz said such hearings usually indicate a guilty plea is forthcoming, but declined comment on why Morrissey did not enter one.

David Mullin, a defense attorney for Jason Stolfus, who was arrested with Morrissey and faces the same charges, said the prosecutor told him Morrissey’s plea agreement “fell through.” He said police reports show Morrissey implicated his client in crimes after both were arrested in December. But he said Stolfus would not have a motive to take the children because he has been offered a favorable plea deal in which he would likely avoid prison.

“The consequences will be so little that it would hardly be a motive to witness tamper or anything like that,” Mullin said. The charges against Morrissey, on the other hand, carry 45 years in prison apiece because he is a repeat offender.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d-up-by-lake/2012/07/24/gJQA3ATt6W_story.html

Sorry if this is a repeat as I'm catching up but yes.... completely jacked up phone and/or voicemail system would be an easy explanation. Way too often I don't even know I HAVE a voicemail until I decide to randomly check it.

I just checked my cellphone's voicemail.

I had four saved that I don't remember saving them. One of them was from my mom (who died in April 2011)--many tears flowed and I made sure I was saving it. But before I checked, I thought I had no saved voicemails.

New from Grandma:

OWA CITY, Iowa — The grandmother who was babysitting two Iowa cousins when they disappeared nearly two weeks ago after going for a bike ride said Tuesday that she has no idea how they ended up across town by a lake.

Wylma Cook, 72, said that Lyric Cook and Elizabeth Collins occasionally went biking while she babysat them several days a week at Collins’ parents’ home in Evansdale. But she said they almost always stayed within blocks and had never gone to Meyers Lake, a mile away.

“It shocks me, OK. The girls never rode that far, never. It was in a two-block area, that’s it. They always returned like I told them,” Cook said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d-up-by-lake/2012/07/24/gJQA3ATt6W_story.html

While stranger pedophiles may not be successful all the time when attempting to abduct children they darn sure try to on a daily basis it seems all across the country.

IMO

That is absolutely true. If we all knew how often we would probably never come out of our houses. When I was in elementary school I was abducted from the street right outside my home and let go the same day. When I was in college I had a man grab me from behind as I was leaving a store and put a knife to my throat. Fortunately, he let me go within a few moments. I have no idea why he even let me go!! He could have taken me but he didn't. A few years ago a man tried to lure me to his car. I am one person. Multiple that by thousands. Needless to say my kids are very rarely out of my sight.

That is such an odd place to leave their bikes. If they rode that trail before, I believe they did, kids will be kids and it looks like a fun ride to me. Maybe they met someone there that frequents that private, secluded area on his or her lunch break.
I would prefer a quiet area to have a relaxing lunch, they may have talked to this person before and knew to stop there.

Hi, I've been following this board for about a week, and the girls case since the beginning. I do not live in the area, but am friends of a relative of Elizabeth's parents.

This may have been covered (so forgive me if it has) but what struck me as odd from the very beginning, was the use of the word "Abducted" by the family. (mainly Misty, Tammy, and Grandma). As a mother myself, it seemed like such an alarming word and odd choice. They consistently used the word abducted way before the FBI or other authorities used it. Why were they so quick to dismiss the lake? Or just that the girls had wandered off, maybe lost or hurt somewhere? No, immediately they said abducted. To me it felt like such a contrived, planned out word.

Just my thoughts from the beginning.

Because they knew something was wrong straight away.

The girls were good swimmers and very reliable.

Some good points but if they went willingly what about the discarded purse? Maybe its been discussed but I missed it - difficult to keep up with everything.

Let me clarify - I think they went to meet someone willingly.

I DO NOT think they were abducted willingly. I think a consensual meeting (whether planned or not) quickly turned bad.

presser should be coming up in 10 mins or so. anyone got that link handy for the livestream?

if you do a google search lots of information comes up on using volunteers in criminal investigations - and they do many varying tasks across the U.S. in different departments such as CSI etc.

The El Paso County Sheriff's Office Corps of Volunteers is a collective citizens group with a true and common desire to partner with the El Paso County Sheriff's Office by volunteering their services while learning more about the internal workings of the Sheriff's Office. As the population in El Paso County increases, so does the demand for service on the Sheriff's Office. The use of citizen volunteers assists the Sheriff's Office in the meeting of these demands and as the demand continues to grow, so will the need for active citizen participation.
http://shr.elpasoco.com/Support+Services+Bureau/Volunteer+Opportunities.htm

But I appreciate the heads up because I am learning so much here and that is great.

These volunteers would be thoroughly checked and deputised.

Not a spur of the moment thing like would be needed in this case.

The post I made earlier about my National Police Certificate? I had to get it because I want to...you guessed it...VOLUNTEER! They won't even look at you without one.

I could totally see my son climbing into a trunk with his friends....and shutting the lid without realizing the ramifications of that. We've spoken to him about old refrigerators but not car trunks. I will do that today. At this point, he does not play outside unsupervised, but I'm sure someday, he will.

Your a very smart Mother the more you know you kid's the more your
aware how fast the children can get into a lot of things very fast . . Mom's have to be faster. Pat

Let me clarify - I think they went to meet someone willingly.

I DO NOT think they were abducted willingly. I think a consensual meeting (whether planned or not) quickly turned bad.

I don't think they arranged to meet up with someone. I get a complete crime of opportunity feel from this one. Either a local bad apple who happened to see an opportunity or a stranger passing through, familiar with the area as it is on their regular route (ie commuter/trucker type)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa