Jason will be re-tried October 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Cooper trial strained the court budget big time. Too bad JLY was tried few weeks after this fiasco. Probably a reason it was a=so short and substantiated.....there was little money left in the budget. Howard Kurtz took us taxpayers for a ride with the wasted hours he billed.....sigh.

==================================================

Indigent Defense Services, formed by the state to oversee and ensure legal representation for those who cannot otherwise afford it, paid $340,507 in expenses and fees to Howard Kurtz and Robert Trenkle, the two lawyers appointed to the case. Of that total, $233,116 went to Kurtz, who was paid for 2,429 of the 2,921 hours he billed for during his three years on the case.

Why so expensive?

Thomas Maher, head of Indigent Defense Services, said the money spent on the Cooper defense was among the most he remembered, particularly for a case where prosecutors were not pursuing the death penalty. A recent study of capital cases showed that only 1 percent of the cases cost more than $200,000 for Indigent Defense.

-snip-

Maher said it can be difficult to calculate the true cost of a case because prosecutors and police, who draw state salaries, rarely keep track of the hours they spend on a specific case.

Lorrin Freeman, the Wake County clerk of courts, said the cost for the Cooper jury was $25,940, the highest she could recall in recent history. Toward the end of the trial, jurors sent the judge a note expressing their frustration with how protracted it had been. In the note, jurors asked the judge to urge lawyers to make better use of their time.

By comparison, the jury for the trial of Jason Young, another Wake County man accused of killing his wife, cost the courts $8,530.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/19/ ... z1VTS833kH

OT/////Brad Cooper case on Dateline tonight. Very interesting article in this morning's N&O, link below.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/19/1421747/cooper-defense-cost-340000.html

Good Morning All!!

Thanks for letting us know, East! I thought it covered a lot of ground in the time slot given -- it hit most of the main aspects of the case and showed personal comments and lots of good scenes & pictures. Pretty well-balanced reporting, IMO. It was nice to see one of the heroes, Detective (IIR his title C) Daniels, again. What an amazingly skilled lawman.

I thought KL's comments, when asked what they have told the girls about their parents, were good, especially considering the ages of the girls.... Paraphrasing, "A bad man hurt NancyMom and she is in Heaven; the bad man is in jail for what he did to her. Daddy is on a long business trip sleeping in a tent and has no phone." That's about enuff for their young brains to absorb, considering their ages. They planted the thought about Mommy being in Heaven, and about the bad main being in jail for what he did to their mommy, thereby setting the stage for when they will have to explain more, especially to the older child. She will want to know more soon, IMO.

And the scene at the end with KristaMom and the girls waking down the path shows how much they have grown. No babies, they -- now.

Any thoughts from anyone else about the Dateline show?

ps -Thanks also to JTF for letting us know about the show as well. And yes, the DT and some other administrative factors did rack up quite a large amount of spending.

And I agree, no wonder the Young trial was busting bad down the train track at breakneck speed. And the re-trial will occur in the same fiscal year, I assume. At least the bulk of the research has already been done.

The next Young trial should take about 4--5 days. (!!)
icon9.gif
It's a shame that Lady Justice may have to operate on a shoestring budget, IMO. Blood and turnip time.
icon9.gif
icon8.gif

This is JMHO.

Hi Borndem,

You might get more discussion about the Dateline segment if you post your thoughts in the Nancy Cooper Dateline thread. Not sure how many JLY case followers are interested in and watched the Cooper trial.

Hi, Madeline74 -

:rolleyes: Now that's a good idea....:doh: ..... I'll go over there to see the comments.

;)

Thanks for letting us know, East! I thought it covered a lot of ground in the time slot given -- it hit most of the main aspects of the case and showed personal comments and lots of good scenes & pictures. Pretty well-balanced reporting, IMO. It was nice to see one of the heroes, Detective (IIR his title C) Daniels, again. What an amazingly skilled lawman.

I thought KL's comments, when asked what they have told the girls about their parents, were good, especially considering the ages of the girls.... Paraphrasing, "A bad man hurt NancyMom and she is in Heaven; the bad man is in jail for what he did to her. Daddy is on a long business trip sleeping in a tent and has no phone." That's about enuff for their young brains to absorb, considering their ages. They planted the thought about Mommy being in Heaven, and about the bad main being in jail for what he did to their mommy, thereby setting the stage for when they will have to explain more, especially to the older child. She will want to know more soon, IMO.

And the scene at the end with KristaMom and the girls waking down the path shows how much they have grown. No babies, they -- now.

Any thoughts from anyone else about the Dateline show?

ps -Thanks also to JTF for letting us know about the show as well. And yes, the DT and some other administrative factors did rack up quite a large amount of spending.

And I agree, no wonder the Young trial was busting bad down the train track at breakneck speed. And the re-trial will occur in the same fiscal year, I assume. At least the bulk of the research has already been done.

The next Young trial should take about 4--5 days. (!!)
icon9.gif
It's a shame that Lady Justice may have to operate on a shoestring budget, IMO. Blood and turnip time.
icon9.gif
icon8.gif

This is JMHO.

What I saw was well balanced and fair. And then the 10:30 commercial came on and I fell asleep. Was so upset when I woke later and realized I missed the second half.
This is not meant to be political, so please understand......but I think the state of NC is making huge, HUGE, mistakes in cutting funding for both the criminal justice/judicial systems and education. No trial should be run through as quickly as possible because of the lack of money to prosecute properly and thoroughly. We made jokes (sort of) a couple of weeks about when the news report revealed that the prosecutors were having to answer their own phones in the Wake Co. DA's office. That's just so very sad and priorities in this state should be resorted and realigned.

What I saw was well balanced and fair. And then the 10:30 commercial came on and I fell asleep. Was so upset when I woke later and realized I missed the second half.
This is not meant to be political, so please understand......but I think the state of NC is making huge, HUGE, mistakes in cutting funding for both the criminal justice/judicial systems and education. No trial should be run through as quickly as possible because of the lack of money to prosecute properly and thoroughly. We made jokes (sort of) a couple of weeks about when the news report revealed that the prosecutors were having to answer their own phones in the Wake Co. DA's office. That's just so very sad and priorities in this state should be resorted and realigned.

NCEast,
You are exactly right!!

Retrial delayed until next year. They are saying January, which means April to May start time.

Retrial delayed until next year. They are saying January, which means April to May start time.

If they originally had it on the October docket, January is very possible.
Of course, that assumes the court reporter can find time to transcribe the testimony from the first trial.

I watched the testimony and know they did not prove the shoes he owned were the same shoes that left the bloody print.

I didn't find the witness very credible. She seemed more than a little confused about details and the cops never did find the "regular" she claimed was also a witness.

I believed the NY delivery person when she said she saw the light-colored SUV. Jason owned a white SUV. I don't know too many folks who don't say white when they mean white.

No shirt was proved missing in any of the testimony I watched and it doesn't matter to me because I don't believe they proved he ever left the hotel premises that night at all.

They did prove the print left on the camera did not belong to Jason Young. When there is as much reasonable doubt as is in this case, no jury is going to agree to convict.

JMO.

After seeing what the prosecution had to offer in the trial, I too now have doubts about this case. I was absolutely convinced for a very long time that he was guilty, but if that is true, why was the prosecution's argument so weak? I also wondered by the Judge didn't tell the jury to go back and try again ... could he have been concerned that one more try would result in a not guilty verdict?

I can't think of any other reasonable suspect or any reason why Michelle would be murdered, but the case against Jason was very weak.

After seeing what the prosecution had to offer in the trial, I too now have doubts about this case. I was absolutely convinced for a very long time that he was guilty, but if that is true, why was the prosecution's argument so weak? I also wondered by the Judge didn't tell the jury to go back and try again ... could he have been concerned that one more try would result in a not guilty verdict?

I can't think of any other reasonable suspect or any reason why Michelle would be murdered, but the case against Jason was very weak.

Their argument was weak.
The evidence pointing to guilt was powerful.

Their argument was weak.
The evidence pointing to guilt was powerful.

Powerful evidence, weak argument suggests to me that it was the wrong prosecutor. Prosecutors are most definitely not looking to online forums or the general public for their strategies and tactics ... I hope. If they did, it would suggest that they are completely unable to do their jobs. If it is the same prosecutor trying the same case, the only difference will be that the defense has tipped their hand and now the prosecutor has more ammunition. In some respects, this does seem to go against the philosohpy of double jeopardy, as it gives the prosecution a distinct advantage in terms of knowing their mistakes and having another go at it. For all fairness to be observed, everything from the first trial should be tossed out, but I understand that now everything from the first trial can also be used against the suspect. I don't see a big problem with the twig in the door. It's a little farfetched, but not impossible. I see huge problems with the clerk's identification and the gas mileage. I see problems with the "propped open hotel room door" because the newspaper drop off on the door handle would most likely have inched the door open.

I can now understand why police were looking into the possibility of an accomplice and why they raised the point in the judge's instructions. There are obstacles in the theory that Jason doubled back home, but he still remains the most likely suspect. The argument seemed to be that he double back and murdered his wife, and if he didn't double back then someone else murdered his wife under his instructions ... but that person is completely unknown and there is no evidence of that accomplice.

The prosecution's argument reminds me of the suspect's common defense: "I didn't do it, but if I did it was an accident, and if it wasn't an accident it's because the victim made me do it, and the latest ... the police, prosecutors, forensic experts, media, lawyers and everyone is out to get me."

Powerful evidence, weak argument suggests to me that it was the wrong prosecutor. Prosecutors are most definitely not looking to online forums or the general public for their strategies and tactics ... I hope. If they did, it would suggest that they are completely unable to do their jobs. If it is the same prosecutor trying the same case, the only difference will be that the defense has tipped their hand and now the prosecutor has more ammunition. In some respects, this does seem to go against the philosohpy of double jeopardy, as it gives the prosecution a distinct advantage in terms of knowing their mistakes and having another go at it. For all fairness to be observed, everything from the first trial should be tossed out, but I understand that now everything from the first trial can also be used against the suspect. I don't see a big problem with the twig in the door. It's a little farfetched, but not impossible. I see huge problems with the clerk's identification and the gas mileage. I see problems with the "propped open hotel room door" because the newspaper drop off on the door handle would most likely have inched the door open.

I can now understand why police were looking into the possibility of an accomplice and why they raised the point in the judge's instructions. There are obstacles in the theory that Jason doubled back home, but he still remains the most likely suspect. The argument seemed to be that he double back and murdered his wife, and if he didn't double back then someone else murdered his wife under his instructions ... but that person is completely unknown and there is no evidence of that accomplice.

The prosecution's argument reminds me of the suspect's common defense: "I didn't do it, but if I did it was an accident, and if it wasn't an accident it's because the victim made me do it, and the latest ... the police, prosecutors, forensic experts, media, lawyers and everyone is out to get me."

I agree that the prosecution came off as appearing extremely weak. My personal opinion was that it was the ADA, not the evidence. The evidence could have been put to the jury with so much more passion, the cross of Jason could have been done differently and with a hard-hitting impact. Oh, I still get upset when I think about how she blew that cross.

I MISS YOU GUYS TERRIBLY AND CAN'T WAIT FOR ANOTHER TRIAL TO START SO WE CAN SPEND MORE TIME ON HERE TOGETHER! I thought the Aboroa trial should have begun by now? Or has it and I'm totally out of the loop?
I hope each of you is well.

Bumping you, Michelle....you are remembered and justice will be served in January 2012....

To anyone who may know: what happened? I thought the re-trial was to be held this month (Oct)?

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/michelleyoung/story/10499496/
Jason Young's retrial set for Jan. 17...a week later than originally scheduled.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Thanks, NCEast, for the info. It's good to hear from you again. Missed ya, Sleuth-buddy.

I've been over on the Eve Carson murder trial. Oh, what good-fer-nuthin's those two are. The worst. At least one of 'em is already in the Federal Kooler for life. Now we've got to get the next one lifed-out. It should be over in about a week or wk. and a half. No souls have they, just a lot of stoopids and cruelty.

Anyway, I miss all you folks -- :seeya: Hi to you all.

And Merry, :sleigh: merry Christmas :christmastree: and Happy Hanukkah :menorah: to you all.

See you in January, unless you wanna begin the Laurence Lovette trial (Eve Carson case) in about the 7th inning on WRAL live-stream. Plenty of bad stuff to go around. A very small crowd of us is hovering and shaking our heads over it. A good DA and so far, very reasonable DT. Horrible defendant, but what would you expect?

Any other good cases kicking right now??

icon10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member