Powell case will be turned into crime book

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also very disappointed by this "book." I think Ann needs to stop writing unless she can really give the book the attention it deserves. Her last three books have been disappointing to me.

JMO, IMO, :moo: , and all other disclaimers.

I'm truly surprised no one is going to write this story. Surely, someone must be looking into it. Just sayin'....Maybe they, like us, think it's not finished, yet...IDK

I'm truly surprised no one is going to write this story. Surely, someone must be looking into it. Just sayin'....Maybe they, like us, think it's not finished, yet...IDK

Do you mean that you're surprised that no one besides Ann Rule has written a book about the case? IDK It surprises me, but it doesn't either. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but there was no trial in this case, which is where I think authors get a lot of material. But yeah, I am surprised there hasn't been at least one full-length book about this case.

I have read every single book that Ann Rule has written, even her fiction. This was the worst book that she has ever done, in my opinion. She started with a poorly written and unfinished story of Susan Powell and ended with a poorly written and unfinished story of Rebecca Zanau. In between, she threw in a few of her little "True Detective" type stories. It was a huge disappointment! It makes me sad too because Ann Rule was once the best True Crime author in the world. If anyone hasn't read her books on Bundy and Diane Downs, you must read them as they are masterpieces in True Crime. Her books, nowadays, are something a high school student could put together in a weekend.

I have read every single book that Ann Rule has written, even her fiction. This was the worst book that she has ever done, in my opinion. She started with a poorly written and unfinished story of Susan Powell and ended with a poorly written and unfinished story of Rebecca Zanau. In between, she threw in a few of her little "True Detective" type stories. It was a huge disappointment! It makes me sad too because Ann Rule was once the best True Crime author in the world. If anyone hasn't read her books on Bundy and Diane Downs, you must read them as they are masterpieces in True Crime. Her books, nowadays, are something a high school student could put together in a weekend.

What would you say is her best Crime Files? What volume?

I don't remember which stories were in which series, but I would say that Small Sacrifice's is her best book, hands down. The True Crime Files are mostly about stories that no one has ever heard of. They are just incomplete and get you wanting to know more about the story, but then she just quits.

I know you didn't ask me, but I think #4, "The End of a Dream" was one of the best. It is about Scott Scurlock, "The Hollywood Bandit." "A Rose for Grave," was good also.

I am trying to make myself read the rest of this new book, since I got it as a gift. Just haven't been that bored, yet...

I agree with others - Diane Downs (Small Sacrifices) and Ted Bundy (A Stranger Beside Me) are her best.

Ann Rule inadvertently gave me my interest in researching filicide with Small Sacrifices. I was 11 years old at the time. (Thanks, Ann. ;)) What can I say? My Mom was a true crime junkie. I come by it naturally. :)

I agree with others - Diane Downs (Small Sacrifices) and Ted Bundy (A Stranger Beside Me) are her best.

Ann Rule inadvertently gave me my interest in researching filicide with Small Sacrifices. I was 11 years old at the time. (Thanks, Ann. ;)) What can I say? My Mom was a true crime junkie. I come by it naturally. :)

It's funny that you say that about you being a true crime junkie because of your mom because I have two daughters that are as crazy about true crime as I am. In fact, I boxed up my Ann Rule collection to give to one of them. :)

Do you mean that you're surprised that no one besides Ann Rule has written a book about the case? IDK It surprises me, but it doesn't either. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but there was no trial in this case, which is where I think authors get a lot of material. But yeah, I am surprised there hasn't been at least one full-length book about this case.

Yes, that's what I mean. Perhaps any potential author, like us, is still waiting for a resolution of some sort to write their ending. Maybe they, like us and the Cox family, are just feeling extremely cheated of any closure and keep hoping. IDK, either...

I just finished this chapter in her book and it was very difficult to read. I mean, unexpectedly so. I have never wanted so badly to reach into a book and change the ending. I wanted Susan to walk out with the boys and head on the way. I wanted the Cox's fears regarding Josh and the supervised visitation to be taken seriously. I wanted first responders to actually show up when he locked the social worker out of his house. I wanted the ending not to happen so badly.

I have a criticism and an insight from reading it-the insight was the hatchet attack on the boys. I dont think this was a last minute inspiration. Josh seemed to me like a pretty methodical, repetitive behavior man, although an idiot to some degree. (camping in a snow storm, leaving Susan's cell phone in the van for examples.) I think it was very likely that he killed Susan with a hatchet when they reached their destination, and I think he used the same words-"I have a big surprise for you." And I think he may have torched her with gasoline at some point.

The criticism is that Ms Rule provides blatantly wrong information regarding filing missing persons reports, and it concerns me. On page 53 of my book (the paperback) it says
"Although and adult has to be missing for at least forty-eight hours before an official search is begin, and it was awfully soon to file a missing person's report..."

This is patently incorrect. There is no waiting period for reporting a missing person. In the state of Utah alone, this issue is addressed on the Utah Clearinghouse website. LINK HERE. It is a disservice to readers to indicate otherwise and I am surprised this wasnt caught via fact checking.

Reading the book and if anyone ever wants to see the poster child for Axis II Antisocial Personality Disorder it is Josh Powell. Maybe there was a mental disorder going on there too but he was so definitely a psychopath. I am amazed how poor Susan put up with him for so long....and definitely not judging her because I have been in the situation of "do I stay do I go" for far too long in my past. I just hate that it seems like he got away with a perfect crime and took everyone down with it. :stormingmad:

Sister-in-law of Susan Powell releases book of her experiences

In her book, Graves shared her experiences of growing up with Josh and details from his childhood and teenage years. She also gave insights into Josh and Susan's early relationship and marriage.

"I noticed in retrospect that there were clues that we probably didn't even notice were there," Graves said. "For instance, the killing of animals, small animals without any heart. It's apparently a sign of a potential killer."

Graves also disclosed information about her father, Steven Powell.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=25705126&n...of-her-experiences&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-1

In her book, Graves shared her experiences of growing up with Josh and details from his childhood and teenage years. She also gave insights into Josh and Susan's early relationship and marriage.

"I noticed in retrospect that there were clues that we probably didn't even notice were there," Graves said. "For instance, the killing of animals, small animals without any heart. It's apparently a sign of a potential killer."

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=25705126&n...of-her-experiences&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-1

Oh, good for her!

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=25705126&n...-her- experiences&fm=home_page&s_cid=queue-1

I just finished reading Jennifer's book and it was very good. I actually liked it better than Ann Rule's book.

I just finished reading Jennifer's book and it was very good. I actually liked it better than Ann Rule's book.

I just bought it, too. It came yesterday and I've already finished reading it.

It was excellent. Jennifer Graves is an amazing and strong lady. The book was sad but beautiful and inspiring. It also helped me to get to know Susan better as someone other than a victim but a real person, shed light on the awful childhood the Powell siblings endured, and show how one can overcome such an awful childhood and choose to be a light for good rather than bad (as Jennifer has).

PS- I also posted downstairs on the WS Bay forum about the book if anyone is looking for copy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member