IN - Lauren Spierer, 20, Bloomington, 03 June 2011 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't seem especially simple to me.

Occam's Razor doesn't really mean the simplest explanation, I think this popular misconception is derived from the movie, "A Beautiful Mind". Here is the true definition, from Wikipedia: "Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor)[1] often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae, translating to law of parsimony, law of economy or law of succinctness, is a principle that generally recommends, when faced with competing hypothesis that are equal in other respects, selecting the one that makes the fewest new assumptions." :)

And what does "DD" mean? "dumb druggie"? "darling daughter"? "dungeons and dragons"?

in MOST website cases, DD is darling daughter.... but in this case it's drug dealer...

Occam's Razor doesn't really mean the simplest explanation, I think this popular misconception is derived from the movie, "A Beautiful Mind". Here is the true definition, from Wikipedia: "Occam's razor (or Ockham's razor)[1] often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae, translating to law of parsimony, law of economy or law of succinctness, is a principle that generally recommends, when faced with competing hypothesis that are equal in other respects, selecting the one that makes the fewest new assumptions." :)

And what does "DD" mean? "dumb druggie"? "darling daughter"? "dungeons and dragons"?

bold mine, drug dealer

Jedger, thanks for the welcome! And yes, I do think JR's visitor is an accomplice. I'm going the Occam's Razor route: LS od'd, JR and visitor put her in a sleeping bag, then threw her away, either in the dumpster, or on the way back to Michigan.

I'm with you. I feel strongly that visitor plays a role. Why do you say sleeping bag though? I have seen sleeping bag mentioned before but I'm not sure where that idea comes from, can someone explain? I have some memory that in an earlier thread someone asked if any of the POIs was missing a sleeping bag but not sure what info led to that question. I have always thought suitcase or possibly cooler- she was so tiny she would fit- and these are items that would not only conceal a person her size, but would also not raise eyebrows when taken to a car to leave. And many suitcases and larger coolers have wheels, so the weight in the bag/cooler wouldn't be obvious to an unknowing observer.

hmmm... she would also easily fit into a sleeping bag.... and that probably would also not raise any red flags -- but I'm interested in why that item is suggested, too!!

LS was small, but I think carrying any body, even a 90lbs body, in a sleeping bag, would be cumbersome and awkward and might draw attention. 90lbs is light for a person, but not light to carry. Think about carrying your own luggage when you travel. Most people keep their bags under 50lbs so as to not incur airline surcharges- those bags are manageable, but not light. This would be roughly twice as heavy as that.

Over at the PT board, someone posted this phrase twice, in two separate threads, that have long since been deleted, I think: "Where is the missing sleeping bag?" Those were the only posts by that author, whom I've forgotten his username. They were completely out of context for the conversation, and has stuck with me ever since, just because it was so weird. I think it was around the time that one user was talking about how his best friends from New York were JR's roomates and how upset they were and had already returned home?

I kind of remember that. Have read so much I can't recall where! I think that poster's name was Ray something. I always thought I missed some other info about a sleeping bag though. Was there ever anything more than those cryptic posts?

No. Which is why I can't seem to let go of it. I haven't seen it anywhere else, since. I think "Ray_Anastasio" is the guy who was best friends with JR's roomates. Wish those threads weren't deleted...

I know. But it was becoming increasingly strange on that board.
I'm calling it a night. Went to a party tonight with a lot of young people (recent college grads) and many were wearing the purple "find Lauren" bracelets, nevertheless, it seems to be the parents that are still thinking and talking about this case, not the young people, which i just don't understand. I think i really need a good night's sleep! I'm not even directly involved and this has so affected me, I have no idea how the Speirers are functioning.

hmmm... she would also easily fit into a sleeping bag.... and that probably would also not raise any red flags -- but I'm interested in why that item is suggested, too!!

A college kid hauling out a sleeping bag weighing ~90 pounds that is full of something would raise red flags. Plus not being able to account for it afterwards.

(carried over from Thread #20)By Jedger:
What if it wasn't DB? I don't know why HT would have said JR had a friend visiting if he didn't, so where is this friend I want to know? Where was he later that day as this group became widely aware that LS was missing? Since I heard there was a visitor I have felt this person was involved.

JR allegedly did have an out of town visitor that night, though not verified by LE. It was DB. DB is also from Bloomfield Hills, MI, same town as JR. It was noted that DB managed to send out a tweet from a rather popular breakfast restaurant the morning that LS disappeared. Tony G. speaks of this "tweet" both here and on his site. His name came into this case rather recently. Perhaps LE knew all along. There is a lot of info on DB, JR, real estate in Bloomfield Hills where a known sex offender resides that was perhaps owned by JR (or DB?) family, there is mention of a known sex offender (NOT DB) living in the DB apt complex "allegedly" being in Bloomington on June 3 and several other issues re DB through these threads. However, I must note that I have seen nothing that has verified any of this, except for the real estate/property issue. I can also deduce from this all is that he and JR are childhood friends. I believe Tony G. knows more and can elaborate on this, if he so chooses.

A college kid hauling out a sleeping bag weighing ~90 pounds that is full of something would raise red flags. Plus not being able to account for it afterwards.

I disagree if it was the last day of finals and "move out" day for most students. They're not the civilized type of movers, as I recall, so filling a sleeping bag full of clothes would be some resourceful thing a student might do. Not to mention that there was craziness going on with everyone trying to pack up and head out.

The fact that it was moving day for students is disturbing to me. I went to a large University. Dumpsters were overflowing with broken furniture and garbage so much that most of it ended up on the ground next to the dumpster. Perhaps on another day, a kids dragging a sleeping bag out would appear suspicious. If this happened on any other day, it may not have been so "easy" to dispose of a body.

I know. But it was becoming increasingly strange on that board.
I'm calling it a night. Went to a party tonight with a lot of young people (recent college grads) and many were wearing the purple "find Lauren" bracelets, nevertheless, it seems to be the parents that are still thinking and talking about this case, not the young people, which i just don't understand. I think i really need a good night's sleep! I'm not even directly involved and this has so affected me, I have no idea how the Speirers are functioning.

Welcome to Websleuths Jedger! Hope you had a good night's sleep. I think you'll be a great asset here. :bedtime:

:takeabow::yourock:

LS was small, but I think carrying any body, even a 90lbs body, in a sleeping bag, would be cumbersome and awkward and might draw attention. 90lbs is light for a person, but not light to carry. Think about carrying your own luggage when you travel. Most people keep their bags under 50lbs so as to not incur airline surcharges- those bags are manageable, but not light. This would be roughly twice as heavy as that.

Also, and I apologize for the morbidity of this, but a dead body wouldn't be flexible for too long. A rolled-up rug put in a back seat might be a possibility, but I suspect these apartments have carpet. That said, it is convenient that it was move-out time. Sleeping bag/dumpster might be another possibility. That might also draw attention, though ... unless it was dark out.

Havent posted lately-nothing new to add. Just wanted to say how nice it is to see all the new names on here.
Just as i think every other morning-God let today be the day!

I really wanted to sleep on this but I think we need to look at Brown County as a location. This is where most of the ride was today. It's east of Bloomington: hills, valleys, river, woods, lakes (several private) very scenic and part is touristy but also part is very rural and rough. Used to be a popular place for DDs to live. I don't know if they still do. I'm sure some do. Two state roads go to Nashville, IN: SR 45 and 46.

Need to know if POI f/f have cabins there or AEPi hazing activity in the past too. Any known DD residences? Etc.

[Tired tonight...]
After looking at a topographic map I'm expanding beyond Brown County. For those of you interested in this aspect of the case, and who enjoy maps, and for locals who know about this area: The route out of Bloomington from 5 North and Smallwood area would be:

10th Street to SR 45 or 3rd St. to SR 46. I think the area between 135 and Interstate 65--heading north and east (ultimately to Indianapolis or Detroit) is a possibility. One could also go north and west (which would take them to Martinsville to return south to Bloomington). Or south on 135 into southern BC, Story area and beyond?

There is a billboard on SR 46 that faces drivers from Nashville, IN and (Columbus IN to a certain extent) coming into Bloomington. This strikes me as directed to folks who live in that area because there are many more places that would provide higher exposure. Also yesterday's riders passed out flyers along the route (45/135/46). OTOH that billboard could have been readily available and the 45/135/46 is most scenic route.

Also, and I apologize for the morbidity of this, but a dead body wouldn't be flexible for too long. A rolled-up rug put in a back seat might be a possibility, but I suspect these apartments have carpet. That said, it is convenient that it was move-out time. Sleeping bag/dumpster might be another possibility. That might also draw attention, though ... unless it was dark out.

Odor would be a problem with sleeping bag but less so with a cooler.

A sleeping bag would only be necessary to hide the body in the dumpster from any trash handlers or someone throwing trash in the dumpster. It doesn't need to be the perfect instrument to conceal a body while you're moving it if nobody sees you anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151