GUILTY CA - Caren Ramirez & 3 others for imprisonment, torture of 16yo boy, Tracy, 2008

I would like to point out that Aunts can also be aunts by marriage and may look nothing like the child.

The rest of your post shows ignorance about the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. Both organizations do perform background checks on leaders and even volunteers. The wife in this case probably don't have a record.

As far as sexual orientation, the Boy Scouts are a religious organization have their own rules about who can be a leader. The government has nothing to do with it.

I am not ignorant about Girl or Boy Scouts. A background check is more than just going to www.backgroundchecks.com and paying a fee. Whenever anyone is taking care of other people's children, a social worker should come by unannounced and inspect the living situations. Whether you open a daycare, or apply to work at a school. I don't care what you did when you were 19, or whether or not you're gay, but I do care if you've got emaciated kids in your laundry room or child *advertiser censored* on your hard drive.

And for the record, I've been involved with my districts Girl Scouts since I was 5 years old. 20 years of experience doesn't make one ignorant. If they did background checks like you're positive they always complete, then explain to me how I spent most of my summers during childhood and adolescence with a convicted child molestor on the grounds of our camp? Who had an affinity for flashing young girls? Please, tell me how this happened?

I hope the sadistic glassy eyed couple who seemed to want a slave rot in jail and that they actually get charged with a serious crime along with the ugly looking aunt. And yes, she's extemely ugly and will fit right in at prison. If any of their relatives knew one thing about this teen then they shouldn't be allowed to get custody of their kids. There's no telling how they've programmed and treated their own children to not tell teachers, fellow SCOUT leaders, or friends about the boy chained nearly naked in their laundry with a towel to sleep on.

Also: if the Aunt Ramirez was charged with using a weapon on a 16 year old and a 13 year old, I wonder where the 13 year old went and if he is now safe? Does anyone know?

I am just utterly horrified by this case-- so, so sad...
I saved screencaps of the female suspect's now-deleted myspace profile, for anyone who is interested. I redacted the identifying information of the suspects' children.

Kelly L.'s Myspace Profile Part I
Kelly L.'s Myspace Profile Part II
Kelly L.'s Myspace Blog Entry

I could only access the first page of her photos and they included a few shots of the couple together, some wedding shots and then pictures of their children, including a sonogram of their youngest son.

Wow, what a deceitful person! I don't understand how people have the capacity to act like a loving parent and then be abusive towards someone else's child at the same time.

Forgiveness will be hard to come by for these people.

In this news video, they say that Ramirez may not be a blood relative, that she may be a friend of the boy's parents, "someone they considered like an aunt." I would love to find out who the parents of this boy (and his younger brother) are and how they could let these boys down so horribly.
http://cbs13.com/local/tracy.teen.abuse.2.879535.html

On Nancy Grace tonight, they said he was already out of the hospital and in foster care. Again. Couldn't they have kept him in the hospital, even for an emotional/psychological trauma?

I think the discussion about the aunt was because she didn't look like a woman OR the aunt of a kid who has been discribed as having blue eyes. People were wondering if there might have been some kind of mistake somewhere.

Years ago I worked with a black man who had the most startlingly blue eyes.

Something about appearance here thats giving me the creeps, watching Nancy Grace and they keep showing the pictures of the man and woman, is it just me or does anyone else wonder if they might be blood related, to me they look like they could be brother/sister, their eyes are so simmilar.

VB

Years ago I worked with a black man who had the most startlingly blue eyes.

Something about appearance here thats giving me the creeps, watching Nancy Grace and they keep showing the pictures of the man and woman, is it just me or does anyone else wonder if they might be blood related, to me they look like they could be brother/sister, their eyes are so simmilar.

VB

They've got those same intense eyes with lax lower lids that evil people always have in their mug shots. I think they try to relax their lower lids to look innocent or something, but it never works.

Does anyone know if when the kid ran from the youth home- did they report him missing? Has anyone seen his name to see if we could check the missing reports?

A problem with foster kids is that sometimes they do runaway. And a problem with DFS is they don't often look for them. Or report them as missing. Considering the agency is charged with both protecting and caring for underage children, I have a real problem with that. Too many times those kids end up like this kid, in some kind of trouble or danger and no one is even looking for them.

Does anyone know if when the kid ran from the youth home- did they report him missing? Has anyone seen his name to see if we could check the missing reports?

A problem with foster kids is that sometimes they do runaway. And a problem with DFS is they don't often look for them. Or report them as missing. Considering the agency is charged with both protecting and caring for underage children, I have a real problem with that. Too many times those kids end up like this kid, in some kind of trouble or danger and no one is even looking for them.

Mysteriew, this is so true.. in the state of FL over 1,000 are missing from foster care/DFS.. This poor boy will need a lot of therapy and people who will not give up on him..

SLIME! SLIME! SLIME!

<SNIP>

TRACY, CA - One of the women accused of imprisoning and torturing a teenage boy in Tracy said fear for her childrens' safety as well as her own caused her to take part in beatings of the captured teen.

Kelly Layne Lau Schumacher, 30, was arrested Tuesday along with her husband Michael Luther Schumacher, 34, on charges of torture, kidnapping, false imprisonment, child endangerment and corporal injury to a child in connection with the bizarre case.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=51443&catid=2

SLIME! SLIME! SLIME!

<SNIP>

TRACY, CA - One of the women accused of imprisoning and torturing a teenage boy in Tracy said fear for her childrens' safety as well as her own caused her to take part in beatings of the captured teen.

Kelly Layne Lau Schumacher, 30, was arrested Tuesday along with her husband Michael Luther Schumacher, 34, on charges of torture, kidnapping, false imprisonment, child endangerment and corporal injury to a child in connection with the bizarre case.

http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=51443&catid=2

Sorry, I don't buy it. Over that year I'm sure she had plenty of opportunities to get help for the young man (and her and her children if they needed it). She took part because she wanted to.

JMO

Sorry, I don't buy it. Over that year I'm sure she had plenty of opportunities to get help for the young man (and her and her children if they needed it). She took part because she wanted to.

JMO

Next, she'll be saying that her husband beat her...That's her exit strategy.

From the above link:

She claims Ramirez kept the boy chained to a coffee table and was the only one who could unlock him. Schumacher also said the boy received daily beatings, sometimes with an aluminum bat that had been heated in a fireplace.

"She burned him with a bat. She stuck it in the fireplace and pressed it against him," Schumacher said. "I knew it was wrong in the back of my head."

Gee, ya think? :furious::furious::furious:

I am not ignorant about Girl or Boy Scouts. A background check is more than just going to www.backgroundchecks.com and paying a fee. Whenever anyone is taking care of other people's children, a social worker should come by unannounced and inspect the living situations.

It's completely ridiculous to expect the scouts to make home inspections for all of their leaders and volunteers.

This case is out of the realm of normal experience and should have no impact on the Girl Scouts (other than this leader dropped from the organization). No one expects the suburban neighborhood soccer mom to be Caligula.

And you post was ignorant because the government has nothing to do with scouting policy regarding sexual orientation.

I would like to point out that Aunts can also be aunts by marriage and may look nothing like the child.

The rest of your post shows ignorance about the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. Both organizations do perform background checks on leaders and even volunteers. The wife in this case probably don't have a record.

As far as sexual orientation, the Boy Scouts are a religious organization have their own rules about who can be a leader. The government has nothing to do with it.
I believe the point is that they need to take more care when allowing people to have exclusive relationships with our children and I happen to agree. I fault any organization for allowing an adult to be placed in an organization without a complete and thorough background check which should include a home visit plus a check of the partner/SO/spouse. While it may have turned up nothing with this couple perhaps there were signs within the home that something was amiss. (Burned skin on a baseball bat would be a clue that something was horribly wrong, wouldn't it? Children living in fear that you could visibly see would be another clue.)

There are many here that have been involved with scouting for many years who would agree with the poster. I don't find them ignorant in any way.

It was said that the boy and the mother walked the other children to school. She could have kept walking into that school and received help at any time. The whole issue of her using the "battered woman" defense will be blown full of holes by the time the truth comes out on this one, imo.

I believe the point is that they need to take more care when allowing people to have exclusive relationships with our children and I happen to agree. I fault any organization for allowing an adult to be placed in an organization without a complete and thorough background check which should include a home visit plus a check of the partner/SO/spouse.

These are non-profit organizations....It's not going to happen...there aren't the resources. They do perform criminal background checks on all leaders and volunteers.

It makes much more sense for concerned parents to 1) socialize with the leader and get to know the leader's family or 2) attend the meetings and activities yourself rather than expecting a non-profit to perform inspections or 3) keep your kids out of the scouts (if you're that paranoid).

I am very conscientious of my kids' safety and have been a Girl Scout leader and volunteer, and my husband has attended all Boy Scout meetings and many campouts. You can only do what you can to minimize the risk and get to know the significant adults in your children's lives...you can not prevent it entirely...at some point people have to be trusted (unless you keep your kids locked up until they're 21).

The day care situation is different...If it's licensed by the state, the state should be performing random inspections.

I am not ignorant about Girl or Boy Scouts. Don't insult me. A background check is more than just going to www.backgroundchecks.com and paying a fee. Whenever anyone is taking care of other people's children, a social worker should come by unannounced and inspect the living situations. Whether you open a daycare, or apply to work at a school. I don't care what you did when you were 19, or whether or not you're gay, but I do care if you've got emaciated kids in your laundry room or child *advertiser censored* on your hard drive.

And for the record, I've been involved with my districts Girl Scouts since I was 5 years old. 20 years of experience doesn't make one ignorant. If they did background checks like you're positive they always complete, then explain to me how I spent most of my summers during childhood and adolescence with a convicted child molestor on the grounds of our camp? Who had an affinity for flashing young girls? Please, tell me how this happened? Don't tell me I don't know about Girl Scouts.

You are right....I was a GS leader for many years and there was never a background check or me or my co-leader. I even became Service Unit Manager and a background check was never performed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back