LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a question. earlier today someone wrote about a serial killer from the past that worked at DOW chemical plant in Addis, LA (the port allen exit then south off the mississippi river bridge) I've never heard of this killer. when was that? i only recall DTL

It is DTL they are speaking of. At one time he was some sort of low level contract worker at DOW I believe.

Excellent point, the bicycle might have been intentionally weighted down and that could be why LE is certain it was deposited there and not dropped from the bridge. There also must have been some sort of definitive evidence near the bike that was time-stamped in order for LE to state that they believe the bike had been there since the night Mickey disappeared.

I am curious as well, WideOpen, as to whether the Canine Unit got any hits on/near St. Landry Street or at Whiskey Bay.

Just an FYI, I don't believe Canine would hit on Mickey unless the windows were open, or she was out of the vehicle also.

Canines also don't track, if the person enters a vehicle with the windows closed, but there have been cases of dogs tracking all the way, if the windows were open.

Have there been any cases where an adult person was abducted with their bike? I googled but couldn't find any.

I think it's worth mentioning that if the bike was dropped from the bridge onto concrete then it may of left some paint or markings on the concrete, and likewise some residule concrete on the bike - The lack of markings scratches and no bike debris could only mean the bike was deposited under the bridge by going under the bridge.

Also if the water is pretty shallow and the bike left no deep indentation in the mud, that would also indictate that it was placed rather than dropped from a height.

That and possibly other evidence the police are keeping on to.

Excellent point, the bicycle might have been intentionally weighted down and that could be why LE is certain it was deposited there and not dropped from the bridge. There also must have been some sort of definitive evidence near the bike that was time-stamped in order for LE to state that they believe the bike had been there since the night Mickey disappeared.

I am curious as well, WideOpen, as to whether the Canine Unit got any hits on/near St. Landry Street or at Whiskey Bay.

Could the rear tire have been damaged from being weighted down versus being hit with a vehicle?

The way the tire damage was described I am thinking she was bumped from behind. Unless she had a custom rear fender I don't believe that bike had a rear fender..

If the truck was the offending vehicle I would think, based on height of a truck, that the bumper would have made contact with the wheel thusly most likely no paint transfer to the bike itself.

Being hit or nudged by a vehicle would surely have knocked her off the bike or stopped her progress. Mickey was prepared with her mace... would she have accepted a ride from a stranger or just called her friend B, who had a car, to come and get her? I am thinking the latter.

I am thinking that the perp subdued her quickly and took everything (her belongings) with him.

And how brazen is this person to do this when there were obviously other cars driving in the area at the time and people fueling up at the gas station!

As for the phone, I wonder what time it was turned off? I wonder if LE has been able to use that in their timeframe for when the bike was dumped. (I am betting they have but that is jmhoo) I tend to think the other things found that they would not discuss could include some of her belongings.

As for why take the bike and Mickey? It bought the perp time imhoo. I think if the bike was left on the side of the road LE would have started their investigation sooner (vs waiting until Monday).

:moo:

Just an FYI, I don't believe Canine would hit on Mickey unless the windows were open, or she was out of the vehicle also.
Canines also don't track, if the person enters a vehicle with the windows closed, but there have been cases of dogs tracking all the way, if the windows were open.

Apparently there have been cases where SAR dogs (specifically Bloodhounds) were able to track abductees who were locked in the trunks of automobiles long after they went missing.

Either way, LE hasn't released any results from the Canine Units in Mickey's case -- which could mean the dogs came up empty or LE is not divulging any details for specific reasons.

I posted that; I heard it sunday at the 'conference' and vigil in which BW spoke about what route she would have taken. Obviously she did not go that way; for some unearthly reason.

No. You didn't. You posted that she would take a right on Parkside straight to congress. The post I quoted was someone correcting you. See here: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7980346&postcount=54"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #9[/ame]

She DID go that route as seen on surveillance videos.

nurse, allegedly the perp dumped the bike that same night/morning. I'm guessing immediately after grabbing Mickey so I don't see how that would've saved time in locating her. Furthermore, he/she risked getting caught doing so.

Unless, it was a ruse. "oops I'm so sorry. I didn't see you. Here let me help you. Oh my goodness. There is damage to your rear tire. Let me give you a lift home. It's the least I can do". Trusting the person like the other young lady who was offered the lift 2 weeks before (sorry don't recall her name).

Once in the vehicle, well......Mickey disappears :( He found the pretty young lady he was looking for. :(

The way the tire damage was described I am thinking she was bumped from behind. Unless she had a custom rear fender I don't believe that bike had a rear fender..

If the truck was the offending vehicle I would think, based on height of a truck, that the bumper would have made contact with the wheel thusly most likely no paint transfer to the bike itself.

Being hit or nudged by a vehicle would surely have knocked her off the bike or stopped her progress. Mickey was prepared with her mace... would she have accepted a ride from a stranger or just called her friend B, who had a car, to come and get her? I am thinking the latter.

I am thinking that the perp subdued her quickly and took everything (her belongings) with him.

And how brazen is this person to do this when there were obviously other cars driving in the area at the time and people fueling up at the gas station!

As for the phone, I wonder what time it was turned off? I wonder if LE has been able to use that in their timeframe for when the bike was dumped. (I am betting they have but that is jmhoo) I tend to think the other things found that they would not discuss could include some of her belongings.

As for why take the bike and Mickey? It bought the perp time imhoo. I think if the bike was left on the side of the road LE would have started their investigation sooner (vs waiting until Monday).

Hi Nurse! This is my first time quoting someone so I hope I'm doing it right.

Just wanted to say that I totally agree with most of this, but I do recall reading that BW's phone was dead, so maybe she knew she wouldn't be able to get in touch with him. I guess he could have charged it by then or she could have called another friend...just a thought I had. Sorry for jumping in!

nurse, allegedly the perp dumped the bike that same night/morning. I'm guessing immediately after grabbing Mickey so I don't see how that would've saved time in locating her. Furthermore, he/she risked getting caught doing so.

They would have found the bike much sooner (almost immediately) if it was left there.

Unless, it was a ruse. "oops I'm so sorry. I didn't see you. Here let me help you. Oh my goodness. There is damage to your rear tire. Let me give you a lift home. It's the least I can do". Trusting the person like the other young lady who was offered the lift 2 weeks before (sorry don't recall her name).

Once in the vehicle, well......Mickey disappears :( He found the pretty young lady he was looking for. :(

bbm: he dumped it in water and it wasn't found for almost 7-8 days. If he had left the bike on the road LE most likely would have become involved on Saturday when she was reported missing vs Monday after the 48 hour waiting period the family was reportedly given.

Taking the bike bought the perp at least 48 hours if not more (by the time they were able to actually start pulling and reviewing all the tapes, etc etc etc)

When I was driving on Google Maps today I went down to explore that exact path - but the entrance on the right hand side had a closed gate and it was fenced all around.

I wonder if it is open and shut at regular times every day so that she could accessed that short cut that night.

http://i.imgur.com/5oEF7.jpg
I haven't lived in Lafayette for 3 years but that gate was always closed unless something was happening at Blackham.

That could have easily turned it slights off from the parkside/versailles intersection to st landry street. In fact if he was truly stalking , he probably would turn his headlights of fat night to not bring attention to himself. ask me how I know; I have gotten tickets for driving without headlights at night. That being said, if cars do not have headlights on at night, cops do give tickets readily in these areas. I have gotten at least 3. So a PERP would be risking something NOT Having headlights on IMHO.

Why are you driving at night without headlights?

Its probably insignificant, but does anyone else think its odd that the man in the upper right corner seems like he is in mid stride while running...Legs dont move that far back walking.

http://findmickeynow.com/mickey2.jpeg

the brake lights are on on the truck. Is there another stop light there? would someone stop that far back at a light? Could that running man come from that truck? his angle seems like he may be running from the car, but at the same time it looks like its from the direction of the truck....IDK lol Im tired.
Someone on here (can't remember who or what thread) said they talked to the clerk who was working at Circle K that night and the man wasn't running.

The truck could have been slowing down for the red light, not necessarily stopped.

Sounds like someone would have stolen the bike before it was noticed, if it is true about so many bike thefts there. And even if LE saw a bike on the bike on the road that night, would they assume an abduction, I wonder?

Hi Nurse! This is my first time quoting someone so I hope I'm doing it right.

Just wanted to say that I totally agree with most of this, but I do recall reading that BW's phone was dead, so maybe she knew she wouldn't be able to get in touch with him. I guess he could have charged it by then or she could have called another friend...just a thought I had. Sorry for jumping in!

BBM: Lovemyhuskies, the part that is bolded by me (BBM), is the one I want to touch on here.

I don't remember reading that Mickey's phone was dead, the night of her disappearance.

I do remember reading this, though:

Charlie, can you tell me your recollection when Mickey went missing?

CHARLIE SHUNICK, MICKEY`S SISTER: Well, the night before she went out, she texted me around 11:45, asking me to go to the bar with her where the bands were playing. That was in Baton Rouge. So I wasn`t going to come back that night. I`d had a few drinks, whatever. I didn`t want to drive. And (INAUDIBLE) stayed in Baton Rouge.

So the next morning, I woke up around 8:00 and I called her. (INAUDIBLE) phone wasn`t on. And then I get home and my mom had called her, too, and her phone wasn`t on. Or maybe I just texted her. I don`t really know. So I texted her a few times, saying, Hey, where are you? Blah, blah, blah.

She misses my brother`s graduation. And I thought it was really strange that her phone was off because I have the same phone as her, and it takes them a really, really, really long time to die.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1205/28/ng.01.html

It's funny ... My friends always ask me how I can stand the traffic in Houston and I laugh at them. Of course we actually live in the burbs of Houston but still. Houston ain't got nothin' on the traffic in Lafayette.

OT

Truth. Verot School Rd. is infinitely more maddening than US 290, overall. Not nearly as much traffic, volume-wise...but this "just going out for a Sunday drive" sh**...during rush hour is...rage-inducing. And is it too much to ask to ask the LCG to fix the potholes in the major thoroughfares? :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member