Australia Australia - Prabhdeep Srawn, 25, Canadian, Snowy Mtns, NSW, 13 May 2013

Hazel

Reaction score
Search for Ontario man missing in Australia enters 3rd day
Prabhdeep Srawn, of Brampton, is a Canadian Forces reservist with survival training

CBC News - Last Updated: May 22, 2013 7:00 PM ET
The search for a Canadian man missing in Australia's Snowy Mountains for more than a week went into a third day on Wednesday.

Prabhdeep Srawn, 25, of Brampton, Ont., hasn't been heard from since parking his rental car on May 13 in the village of Charlotte Pass in Kosciuszko National Park.

The car was found on May 13 on the slopes of Mount Kosciuszko, and police believe he got lost in the freezing conditions.

read more: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/05/22/australia-missing-canadian.html

Family wants more searchers in Australia
During a media conference call with the minister this afternoon, Singh-Sahota urged Minister Diane Ablonczy to convince Australian authorities to put more resources into the search.
“We have been assured by the Australians that they are making every effort (to find him),” Ablonczy said. “We have to respect the effort they are making.”

The minister assured Singh-Sahota that she would follow up on this afternoon’s conversation and would pass on her concerns.

Singh-Sahota said the family has been told there are other resources that could be called in, if the police in Australia asked.

She accepted Ablonczy’s explanation that the army cannot be called out for a civilian incident without a vote in parliament declaring a state of emergency. She said the process in Australia is very strict, and democratic.

more: http://www.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/3239414-family-wants-more-searchers-in-australia/

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2013/05/28/20853991.html

""There comes a time when a decision has to be made over how long you keep searching. Following consultation with medical experts, examination of the conditions and weather forecasts we have decided to scale back the search," Supt. Shane Box said in a statement.

A scaled-back search will continue for two more days, he said "

Im alarmed that the search has been scaled back.
SMH report Tuesday 28th May 2013:
Search for missing bushwalker scaled down

Family members of missing Canadian bushwalker Prabhdeep Srawn said they are ''devastated and confused'' by a NSW Police decision to scale down the search.
On Tuesday, NSW Police Superintendent Shane Box said authorities had told the family of the ''tough decision'' to run a scaled-down search for two more days.
Mr Srawn was last seen in the Kosciuszko National Park on May 13 and a search for the 25-year-old began on May 20.

The search should continue (IMHO), There is always hope!

The Blue Mountains at this time of year are absolutely treacherous for the searchers as well, there are so many places he could be, in there its dense vegetation as well, So many places to fall as well, there are other cases over here of bush walkers being found after search is called off though.

Hoping he's safe

It looks as if they have decided to call the search off tomorrow :confused:
Police are discouraging people pairs to look for him as they are concerned for their safety :dunno: They predict the weather will turn bad in the next few days.

I am really hoping they find him in the next 24 hours!!
His family must be in a terrible state knowing that the search is being called off.
Pray they find him - or extend the search.

News.com.au article
REFUSING to give up hope, the determined family of missing bushwalker Prabhdeep Srawn have posted a $20,000 reward for his rescue despite police yesterday making the heart-wrenching decision to call off the search tomorrow.

Are there details of what he took with him on his walk? Was he carrying a GPS or a topography map?

The Blue Mountains at this time of year are absolutely treacherous for the searchers as well, there are so many places he could be, in there its dense vegetation as well, So many places to fall as well, there are other cases over here of bush walkers being found after search is called off though.

Hoping he's safe

FYI, the blue mountains are about 8hrs away from the snowy mountains which is where he has gone missing. Mt kosiosko is also relatively flat and open compared to the gullys and dangerous cliffs in the blue mountains... But that said, it would be absolutely freezing out there...

My hopes are also with him :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some members of the family of Prabhdeep Srawn has traveled to Australia and are offering a reward for anyone finding him.
On the Facebook page there has been a very positive response from the FB community of family & friends with letters being written to politicians and government in both Canada and Australia to bring awareness to the situation and encourage the Australian Police to extend the search. The family have been on radio and getting the word out any way they can too.

https://www.facebook.com/HelpFindPrabhSrawn

Bob Rae speaking in the Canadian Parliament about missing Prabhdeep Srawn

MPP Jagmeet Singh's statement in Parliament

One very encouraging message on the social media said:

We've also been able to confirm that Prabhdeep has delivered training to new recruits on how to manage extreme cold weather conditions of -30 degree weather and how to handle wind gusts of 77kms per hour. We know Prabhdeep is alive and managing the weather conditions in the snowy mountains, he is waiting for us to find him, it is just a matter of time.

I think this guy is a survivor and a fighter. He could handle himself in this terrain, they just need to find him - he may be immobile and hurt.

Lets hope there is better news coming that the search will continue and they will be able to find him soon.

FYI, the blue mountains are about 8hrs away from the snowy mountains which is where he has gone missing. Mt kosiosko is also relatively flat and open compared to the gullys and dangerous cliffs in the blue mountains... But that said, it would be absolutely freezing out there...

My hopes are also with him :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops my bad... I thought I'd read blue mountains!! Either way being lost in kosiosko isn't good either, hoping his survival training is keeping him safe

Another article today in the Sun Herald on Prabhdeeds search...
Missing Canadian tourist Prabhdeep Srawn's family still hopeful despite search being called off

Under one of the seats inside the van, popular with backpackers, was a laptop containing Google Maps and Wikipedia searches - vital clues indicating his planned route that could have gone a long way to narrowing his position had they been discovered earlier.

There were also more than 30 pages of military lecture notes on "winter warfare" and alpine survival techniques.

(attach 1) The article in the Herald Sun also shows a map of the route he was planning to take.

(attach 2) MAP 1: When I mapped out his planned route there was an inconsistency with the Google map - Mt Townsend was to the left significantly further and off the track.

(attach 3) MAP 2: Yet when I put in the 'walking route' map the Mt Townsend marker(D) had moved right and followed the trail to Mt Kosciuszko on the ridge.

It maybe nothing, but I wonder if maybe the maps he was using showed a different route or one that is not very well laid out. His voice was heard North of Carruthers Peak (c), but in the mountains voices travel - I wonder if he was to the left of Carruthers Peak where the map (2) shows Mt Townsend(D) is?

(attach 4) Looking closer at the walking track I can see how the track seems very *zigzaged - it would be easy to be disoriented in the snow of where the track actually is - and which track was which. The map shows the trail without snow, but the weather has turned.

Mount Kosciuszko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediais the highest Mountain in Australia.

Hopefully he will be found very soon.
Prayers for him and his family.

Attachments

• SUN HERALD MAP OF PRAHBDEEPS ROUTE.jpg
    SUN HERALD MAP OF PRAHBDEEPS ROUTE.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • MAP 1 CH PASS - MAIN RANGE - CARRUTHERS PEAK - MT TOWNSEND - MT K.jpg
    MAP 1 CH PASS - MAIN RANGE - CARRUTHERS PEAK - MT TOWNSEND - MT K.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 21
  • MAP 2 - WALKING MAP - CH PASS - MAIN RANGE - CARRUTHERS PEAK - MT TOWNSEND - MT K.jpg
    MAP 2 - WALKING MAP - CH PASS - MAIN RANGE - CARRUTHERS PEAK - MT TOWNSEND - MT K.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 18
  • MAP 3 CURRUTHERS PEAK.jpg
    MAP 3 CURRUTHERS PEAK.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 21
There is also an online petition you can sign at the care2 Petition site:
Increase Resources in the Search for Prabhdeep Srawn

They need another 400 signatures to make their goal of 10,000

When you sign, the petition signature goes to:
New South Wales Police Department, the Australian Federal Police and the Australian Federal Government

12-20 people looking for this guy is not enough - they need more volunteers.

Updates:

Reward Increased by Family:
Source: The Tyee News
SYDNEY - The family of a Canadian man missing in Australia's Snowy Mountains for nearly three weeks has increased the reward for finding him alive to $50,000.

Swarn's Search discontinued.
Source:Calgary Sun 2nd June 2013
TORONTO - Australian police have stopped searching for a Hamilton, Ont., man missing in a cold and mountainous area of New South Wales -- a reason being he may no longer be alive.

Senior Const. Tim Axtens, a spokesman for New South Wales police, confirmed to QMI Agency on Sunday the search for Prabhdeep Srawn, 25, "has been called off for the time being," insisting wind and freezing temperatures were the reasons behind the decision.

$50,000 is a lot of money - sadly I haven't seen this reward in MSM in Australia. It is 3 weeks, I think he has become injured or disorientated and is now deceased. You do not want to become lost in the Blue Mountains, alone and with limited food/water supplies - the weather has been particularly bad over the last week with torrential storms and rain, he is not in a safe place irrespective of his survival skills and training. It's very sad. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back