Can I block the "Private Forums"?

I hear ya on the "voted in the poll" thing. For some reason, that irks me, too, and makes my hair greyer, lol.

My bookmark for WS is set at my subscribed threads, but I like the freedom of seeing what's new on the board - indeed, I get quite a bit of my news here, stuff I like to peruse - and New Posts is the perfect venue for that (if it's not given over to a plethora of Game Room stuff, as has been the case these last couple months).

I can see your point, but I am not sure most people go through the "new posts." Personally, I start with my "subscribed threads." I hope crime threads aren't being strangled by game room threads, but I usually don't miss the topics I'm interested in b/c of them.

But, again, I understand how annoyances can get at you. My personal pet peeve is when threads get bumped to the "new posts" search just because someone voted in the poll, even when they didn't actually post. That bugs me, though it likely doesn't bother many others.
I do, too. And I much more rarely go to a specific forum.

I use UserCP (updated subscribed threads, and All subscribed threads) and New Posts. If I didn't use New Posts, I'd rarely find any new threads. :)

I do, too. And I much more rarely go to a specific forum.

I use UserCP (updated subscribed threads, and All subscribed threads) and New Posts. If I didn't use New Posts, I'd rarely find any new threads. :)

What I usually do is hit my subscribed threads, read the new posts there, and then hit the forum link at the top, i.e. "Private Forums -- Jury Room," and then go to the forum itself to look for new threads.

I hear ya on the "voted in the poll" thing. For some reason, that irks me, too, and makes my hair greyer, lol.

My bookmark for WS is set at my subscribed threads, but I like the freedom of seeing what's new on the board - indeed, I get quite a bit of my news here, stuff I like to peruse - and New Posts is the perfect venue for that (if it's not given over to a plethora of Game Room stuff, as has been the case these last couple months).

I usually unsubscribe to poll threads pretty much right away, b/c I can't handle going to the thread and finding no new post when it says "new post".

Except in those forums I moderate, dagnabbit - I have to keep looking at those every time it says "new post."

My main concern (well, besides just being an easy-to-irk person by nature!) is that the preponderance of GR threads might give WS a bad name to casual users/guests - after all, we're not Game Room dot com. In fact, if I were a spy from another site and seeking to make WS less palpable to true crime aficonados, that's exactly what I'd do - infilitrate and dominate with off-topic threads on the prime new posts page.

I haven't looked as a non-member in a while - do the private forums threads show up for non-members?

I usually unsubscribe to poll threads pretty much right away, b/c I can't handle going to the thread and finding no new post when it says "new post".

Except in those forums I moderate, dagnabbit - I have to keep looking at those every time it says "new post."

Yeah, me too, on the "unsubscribe." This was after I chased "new posts" on the JFK assassination thread for awhile ("Hey! somebody's finally solved it!"), only to find it was inevitably people voting in the poll. Argh!

I haven't looked as a non-member in a while - do the private forums threads show up for non-members?

Good point. I truly don't remember ever being a non-member, and knowing.

Because when, let us say, one starts a new crime thread and sees its possibility of getting noticed sinking ever lower in a blither of "Pet Names, Alphabetical Order," "A, B, C's of Famous Dead People," "6-letter edition of change 1 letter" (etc. etc. ad nauseum), and "Things that Smell A-Z," one is prone to get a bit testy about matters.

I use the new post button and it shows on the far right side which forum it's in. I just scroll past the threads in forums that I don't follow. I'm not sure why this is a problem for some posters to do the same. :confused:

Wow! I am a "guest" on my other browser, so I am reading myself as a non-member. Cosmic in a sorta tubular way.

Anyway, I couldn't see the private threads at all in my non-member browser.

Also, you can't use the "new post" function until you have a certain number of posts. Ironically, this is one of the main reasons why the game room is so useful on a forum.

I use the new post button and it shows on the far right side which forum it's in. I just scroll past the threads in forums that I don't follow. I'm not sure why this is a problem for some posters to do the same. :confused:

Yes, my issue here is the fact that when one browses page one, so many of those forums at the right read "Game Room." On many occasions, no more than two pages of new posts are available. When extracurricular threads dominate, one thus does not get a chance to see new crime threads without the extra effort of tracking them down on the site, which cannot be described as "user-friendly."

What I usually do is hit my subscribed threads, read the new posts there, and then hit the forum link at the top, i.e. "Private Forums -- Jury Room," and then go to the forum itself to look for new threads.
Right.

I don't do that much, due to large number of forums that I subscribe to. :) It's faster for me to use UserCP and New Posts, although it does entail a lot of brain ricocheting between cases. :D

Right.

I don't do that much, due to large number of forums that I subscribe to. :) It's faster for me to use UserCP and New Posts, although it does entail a lot of brain ricocheting between cases. :D

I usually have about 16 tabs open at any given time. Perhaps that is why I keep finding suicide notes from my computer all over the place.

It's a "volume thang" and a "time thang". More pages of new posts to visually scan for the ones of interest, when the (better, IMO) alternative would be for the "discards" to not even be presented for scanning. :)

Also, you can't use the "new post" function until you have a certain number of posts. Ironically, this is one of the main reasons why the game room is so useful on a forum.

I agree. Perhaps a counting-thread or two could be filed categorically so as to remain on the New Posts page for the benefit of upping one's numbers, given my hoped-for result of being able to avoid Game Room threads.

Although there is a wisdom in requiring a user actually to post on crime threads before plunging willy-nilly into the wide world of starting threads about crime.

That setting applies to all users, it cannnot be customized on a per user basis. Discussed here:

Exclude forum from New Posts and Today's Posts - vBulletin.org Forum

However, I did find a modification that may work. But as it's Christmas I'm not going to work on it today:

Selective Forum Filter - vBulletin.org Forum
Totally forgot to thank you for looking into and considering it! This one sounds like a "win-win" feature (to me, at least). Happier, more efficient users and less system resources being burned (unless the feature itself is a resource hog, of course). :)

Another issue I can see is those whom are checking from a cell phone - on a 4 inch (if that big) screen that would be awful!

I use the new posts (when I finish my subscribed under usercp) to check for movement in a case. I can't tell you how many times just scanning the new posts has alerted me to movement in a case or a case that was just breaking, etc. So I use the new posts as my secondary tool but I know I would love it if the games were not included as often times my time is limited and I can have several pages in new posts covering a few hours - when without games posts I would be able to be more efficient in my obsessive news junkie ways!

I see this not as a complaint but as a way we could individually work more productive. If we are each more productive, then that gives our kids and cases more time -- and that is always good!

I also wanted to thank for looking into this -- if there is a way, I bet will find it when the holidays are over!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back