TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm just gonna ask, b/c I am not sure I know.

What is the difference between abduction and kidnapping?

Before I came to this forum, my answer would have been: a Ransom.

I just looked something up that says:

Kidnapping is the aggravated (for ransom or injury) false imprisonment of a person.

Read more: Children's Rights - Kidnapping And Abduction - Act, Sex, Passed, Public, Penalties, and Offenders http://law.jrank.org/pages/12083/Children-s-Rights-Kidnapping-abduction.html#ixzz1KsGPzHeF

The more I'm reading the less I see there is a difference between the 2...

Okay, there is this slight distinction:

Abduction - child goes willingly but against parents wishes.
Kidnapping - agrravated false imprisonment against will.

tomatoe/tomatah? :dunno:

does anyone know?

Technically, the difference between the two can be seen in the etymology of the term "kidnapper": kid + napper, the latter an archaic usage now obsolete - a "napper" was originally a sheep stealer. And a kid is slang, of course, for a child. The term "kidnap" ought always to relate to the taking of a child. An abduction carries no such connotation.

Read more: Children's Rights - Kidnapping And Abduction - Act, Sex, Passed, Public, Penalties, and Offenders http://law.jrank.org/pages/12083/Children-s-Rights-Kidnapping-abduction.html#ixzz1KsGPzHeF

does anyone know?
I'd never really thought about it til you brought it up lol. Personally, the words are synonymous to me.

does anyone know?

An abductor takes a victim for his own selfish purposes and tries to maintain a low or anonymous profile. A kidnapper eventually makes his abduction known, either to the media or strictly to the immediate family of his victim. He uses his captive as a bargaining tool, whereas the typical abductor keeps his captive as secret as possible.

An abductor takes a victim for his own selfish purposes and tries to maintain a low or anonymous profile. A kidnapper eventually makes his abduction known, either to the media or strictly to the immediate family of his victim. He uses his captive as a bargaining tool, whereas the typical abductor keeps his captive as secret as possible.

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you!

Technically, the difference between the two can be seen in the etymology of the term "kidnapper": kid + napper, the latter an archaic usage now obsolete - a "napper" was originally a sheep stealer. And a kid is slang, of course, for a child. The term "kidnap" ought always to relate to the taking of a child. An abduction carries no such connotation.

Adults get kidnapped, do they not? (for ransom & such?)

At this point.....what's everybody thinking? She's still alive or no?

FBI is not the lead agency on this case......there may be some evidence that their crime labs can analyze that TBI doesn't have the ability to do. Hair evidence for example, TBI doesn't have the ability to analyze hair evidence and that would be forwarded to the FBI labs.

Would the FBI take lead in this case if there was proof that she was taken across state lines/ransom or would TBI still be in charge? I know they would if they had a suspect who was already under federal investigation (I'm pretty sure anyway) but it would answer a lot of questions I have if the former is yes.

Studying the FBI posters, it seems those labeled Kidnapping have some sort of witness to the abduction, that can describe the assailant...

at least that is what I'm noticing so far...

Odds say no. Community says yes.

I'm still hoping that small towns know best. :praying:

Would the FBI take lead in this case if there was proof that she was taken across state lines/ransom or would TBI still be in charge? I know they would if they had a suspect who was already under federal investigation (I'm pretty sure anyway) but it would answer a lot of questions I have if the former is yes.

I believe that FBI would be lead agency if they had reason to believe Holly has been taken across state lines.

Kidnapping is the taking of a MINOR.
Abduction is minor or adult.

Holly's not a minor.

I guess I'm asking legal terminology. B/C of the FBI poster.
So I might try to check out legal dictionaries...

I just don't know...I do think it someone that was stalking her. She could be alive...has days pass I fear the case going cold.

I hate to say this but the names of missing in surrounding counties has never been solved or found. :(

KIDNAPPING

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/[B]kidnapping[/B]

The crime of unlawfully seizing and carrying away a person by force or Fraud, or seizing and detaining a person against his or her will with an intent to carry that person away at a later time.

The law of kidnapping is difficult to define with precision because it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Most state and federal kidnapping statutes define the term kidnapping vaguely, and courts fill in the details.

Generally, kidnapping occurs when a person, without lawful authority, physically asports (i.e., moves) another person without that other person's consent, with the intent to use the abduction in connection with some other nefarious objective. Under the Model Penal Code (a set of exemplary criminal rules fashioned by the American Law Institute), kidnapping occurs when any person is unlawfully and non-consensually asported and held for certain purposes. These purposes include gaining a ransom or reward; facilitating the commission of a felony or a flight after the commission of a felony; terrorizing or inflicting bodily injury on the victim or a third person; and interfering with a governmental or political function (Model Penal Code § 212.1).

Kidnapping laws in the United States derive from the Common Law of kidnapping that was developed by courts in England. Originally, the crime of kidnapping was defined as the unlawful and non-consensual transportation of a person from one country to another. In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, states began to redefine kidnapping, most notably eliminating the requirement of interstate transport.

I think LE likes to be cryptic these days. If they start saying things like "we found out some things we wish we didn't know" or "we think you'll be surprised"...i.e. MCSO, well then, I give up. I try not to read too much into what they say; everything seems to be a new and original way of saying as little as possible. And MCSO uttered those now infamous phrases some six months ago and still nothing...

Kidnapping - to steal, carry off, or abduct by force or fraud, especially for use as a hostage or to extract ransom.

Abduction - the illegal carrying or enticing away of a person, especially by interfering with a relationship, as the taking of a child from its parent.

via dictionary.com

They can be interchangeable, and often are used that way. Let's not get caught up in the wording. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson