LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
But they are not MISSING!
Do u really think if she were with others someone would have taken her off the street?

No way!

It's simply not possible to go through life constantly surrounded by people. Shunick was out with a group earlier in the evening, but unless all of these people lived in one giant house together, each of them had to be alone at some point.

People go missing at the grocery store, walking from their parked cars to their homes, and pretty much everywhere else. There's no point in speculating what might have happened if anyone had done something differently.

ACI, two things. Were you able to get down to the large bus parking lot on St Mary's and what are your thoughts about it?

Another thing, is the camera at 216 Landry that we have all spoken about working, and did it capture Mickey there? Thanks

What if it is Mickey? And what if it's from closer to 3:30am?

What if she did stop somewhere in the area of Landry for an hour or more, then headed home closer to 3:30? What if something happened to her after 3:30? Or, what if that's somebody else on HER bike at 3:30ish?

I'm sure LE is looking into that. I wish we knew where that inside camera was.

good point - what if she was spooked about someone following her and thats why she stopped at someones home thinking it was the safest thing to do? idk...

I am wondering what the local public mood is.
LE seems to be keeping things close to the vest but how long can the public continue to put faith in LE while their children and family are possibly living amongst a killer.

Do most people in town feel safe? Has LE come out and said, we think it is someone who knew Mickey and we do not feel it is a stranger so yall do not have to worry and be vigilant or has LE left it hanging?

I'm not saying it well but I hope you understand the question. At some point I think LE should reassure the community that they have information and its people are safe. If they are not safe then give them information to keep themselves safe.
JMO

It's simply not possible to go through life constantly surrounded by people. Shunick was out with a group earlier in the evening, but unless all of these people lived in one giant house together, each of them had to be alone at some point.

People go missing at the grocery store, walking from their parked cars to their homes, and pretty much everywhere else. There's no point in speculating what might have happened if anyone had done something differently.

I agree. My husband works away from home. Even though I have a large group of friends, I am alone A LOT. It's easy to say she should have stayed with the group, BW should have driven her home, it wasn't safe to be riding her bike at 2am, etc.. But- it wasn't the first time she rode her bike home at 2am. Each and every time she did so without incident, it subconsciously makes her feel safe, IMO. She so often made that trip- there was no way to know that on May 19th, the results would be so drastically different. There is no way to know if she would still be missing if someone was with her. I'm sure we would all love a time machine do we could go back to that morning and tell her to sleep at Bw's or to let him drive her home knowing what we know.. But that's not possible. Entertaining what should have happened doesn't change what did.

Where is Mickey? Everyday gets more frustrating and scary.

LE seems to be keeping things close to the vest but how long can the public continue to put faith in LE while their children and family are possibly living amongst a killer.

Do most people in town feel safe? Has LE come out and said, we think it is someone who knew Mickey and we do not feel it is a stranger so yall do not have to worry and be vigilant or has LE left it hanging?

I'm not saying it well but I hope you understand the question. At some point I think LE should reassure the community that they have information and its people are safe. If they are not safe then give them information to keep themselves safe.
JMO

LE hasn't said a word to reassure the public. I've seen young ladies on alert. They seem less friendly at the moment. No one KNOWS. I am afraid for Lafayette. I can barely entertain the thought that a monster walks among us. It isn't the safest city in the world but the disappearance of Mickey Shunick was so unexpected in this town. It does remind me personally (I can't speak of others in town) of the search for DTL and the Southside Rapist.

OK, I'm caught up now. Regarding the poster who asked about the red-light cams:

1. Red light cams, I am almost certain, won't trigger on a bike. Too small.

2. The only red-light cam on her entire suspected route is at W. Congress and Guilbeau - a lot closer to home. LINK to camera sites.

3. Red-light cams don't continuously record. They trigger for a speeder or a red-light-runner.

4. they make license plate covers to fool the cameras, AND they actually sell a PHOTOBLOCKER SPRAY, all over Lafayette to cover your plate!

LINK

ACI, two things. Were you able to get down to the large bus parking lot on St Mary's and what are your thoughts about it?

Another thing, is the camera at 216 Landry that we have all spoken about working, and did it capture Mickey there? Thanks

I did check out the bus lot. There are no useful cameras along St. Mary that would show anything useful. The parking lot itself is possible for something to have gone down in, but I didn't see any evidence there to suggest that happened.

The camera at 216 St. Landry is working (because it caught the video of the olds) but I don't know what else is on the video because LPD took it all. They claim there is no more footage of Mickey so we have to assume that means she's not caught on camera there.

I did check out the bus lot. There are no useful cameras along St. Mary that would show anything useful. The parking lot itself is possible for something to have gone down in, but I didn't see any evidence there to suggest that happened.

The camera at 216 St. Landry is working (because it caught the video of the olds) but I don't know what else is on the video because LPD took it all. They claim there is no more footage of Mickey so we have to assume that means she's not caught on camera there.

So, as I said before we have nothing. Just need to wait for another development in the case, if it ever comes. What a shame.

I agree with you, and that's why I'm hoping the video will put a stop to any speculation that Wilson carried a torch or felt unrequited love for Mickey Shunick.

That seems to be the default assumption for many missing persons cases, but there's absolutely no evidence that it applies here.

Talking in past tense. This seems to be normal in missing person cases. . But very different from the way the sister talks about her.

OT: HLN reporting Luko Magnotta arrested in Germany!

JMO

I can't speak for the public as a whole, b/c most of the people I've been spending any significant amount of time with apart from my immediate family, are people from the search headquarters. But a couple days ago on FB a friend posted, asking if anyone finds themselves being more cautious and aware, and if MS's disappearance has caused any changes in their daily lives. Only a handful of people answered...some saying their were cautious (enough) before that they didn't feel this warranted any real changes. A couple people spoke about getting guns. I personally, am more aware. The few times I've been out after dark alone I found myself looking all directions, hurriedly and anxiously getting back to my truck and locking the doors and then breathing a sigh of relief. It's no way to live really! That said, I don't, and I don't think the public either--feels as threatened as we did when DTL was on the loose.

eta: LE has been quiet. It's hard to say if that's b/c they don't feel that there is a huge danger, or b/c they are not wanting to create hysteria. I'm sure if another girl goes missing soon, they will be forced to speak up. Regardless, we should always be aware of our surroundings. It's just so easy to not think about what could be waiting around the corner.

What if it is Mickey? And what if it's from closer to 3:30am?

What if she did stop somewhere in the area of Landry for an hour or more, then headed home closer to 3:30? What if something happened to her after 3:30? Or, what if that's somebody else on HER bike at 3:30ish?

I'm sure LE is looking into that. I wish we knew where that inside camera was.

Are the lcg drive thru cameras inside or out? Facing which way?

So, as I said before we have nothing. Just need to wait for another development in the case, if it ever comes. What a shame.

Currently no. There appears to be nothing new to go on. Its all still just speculation until new evidence is brought forth. I don't know if LE has any suspects or not. I have my own, but still nothing concrete worth mentioning.

Just running in circles

JMO

I can only answer this based on my own feelings about this and what people have said in conversation or on social media networks. I don't think people are nearly as worried as I expected them to be. I think a lot of people still believe this is an isolated incident. I still see people running and biking alone at dawn. I still see people who let their small children out of their sight in public places.

I am very unnerved by this whole situation. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I tend to be alone for long periods of time with no friends or family AND because I still have the Baton Rouge serial killers on the brain...not to mention the murders of the Jennings women just down the road a bit.

That said, people still have to go on with life. And sometimes that's easier if you don't focus on what could go wrong or the harm that could come your way.

I don't recall seeing or hearing that either.
Sorry if I already mentioned this but I'm a Luddite & navigating web sites is torture for me. There is a dump/landfill? In Welsh, but that's in the opposite direction.

OK, I'm caught up now. Regarding the poster who asked about the red-light cams:

1. Red light cams, I am almost certain, won't trigger on a bike. Too small.

2. The only red-light cam on her entire suspected route is at W. Congress and Guilbeau - a lot closer to home. LINK to camera sites.

3. Red-light cams don't continuously record. They trigger for a speeder or a red-light-runner.

4. they make license plate covers to fool the cameras, AND they actually sell a PHOTOBLOCKER SPRAY, all over Lafayette to cover your plate!

LINK

I had no idea about #4

Well would u want your daughter out there at 2 am riding her bicycle?
Alone!
Not me!

If she was in her car thats a different story!

And i speculate that if she was not riding alone she would not be missing!
If she got a ride home she wouldnt be missing
She didnt
she is missing!

And thats just MY opinion!
No one has to agree with it!

I had no idea about #4

The spray and covers don't work. Its a gimmick. Ive tried them both. While following people I run lots of red lights and often have to speed, so I tried them so that I wouldn't have to worry about those cams. Didnt do any good. Now I just don't use my plate at all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361