British student murdered in Perugia, 3 suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is completely fluent in Italian.

Yes. She testified speaking in Italian. The news media here said she shouldn't have. She could have said that she didn't undertand what LE was saying, but....

oh god they showed Merideth's family leaving too

that was heartbreaking

I read about it, where they said she & R. were talking about using the lingerie later that night etc.

I'm not sure I ever saw the video

& then it came out that she needed to buy underwear b/c she couldn't access her house (sealed off) and had no clothes

Oh thats right. Her place was sealed off...Yes they showed her shopping, picking up the lingerie, looking at it... They made a big deal out of it.

wonder if they're now waiting for R's family to leave ...

camera still trained on courthouse exit

Since this crime happened I've felt she was involved in the murder. What a waste of a young life. All over a guy, in my opinion.

Sadly I have to agree with you. I have been following this case since day one and felt that she was guilty. I think she was trying to impress a boyfriend and felt that since she was an American that she would not be charged and definitely not convicted. I have lived and worked outside of United States and I can tell you that we are not really liked. Envied maybe, but not liked. We, Americans are seen as spoiled, arrogant and that we feel entitled, and that we feel that Americans as a rule are superior to all other countries. Her actions and lack of emotion in a country where emotions are usually played out and in your face, pi**ed people off. Let's just say that in the poll of public opinon in Italy, she was very much disliked. Unfortunate for her, but GMS, why didn't her parents mentor her during these two years into acting like a caring person. The verdict is as I predicted and surprised, I'm not.

Oh thats right. Her place was sealed off...Yes they showed her shopping, picking up the lingerie, looking at it... They made a big deal out of it.

The problem of course was the total lack of any emotion over the loss of a young college girl. Total lack of emotion, period, unless you count passion and sexual reaction to her boyfriend. IMO, she acted even less emotional than Casey Anthony.

wonder if they're now waiting for R's family to leave ...

camera still trained on courthouse exit

quoting myself to ask: does anyone know if that's what they're waiting for?

What's your opinion on the evidence and the verdict?

There is so much contradictory evidence as well as allegations of Italian police mistakes. :waitasec:

JMO....
I'm perplexed by all of it.

I think about Amanda, 2 years ago and under interrogation for HOURS, over 3 days, by police in a foreign country where she had lived only, iirc, a few short months and could have in no way mastered the Italian language in that time. In fact, she has acknowledged that she has only learned to speak/understand Italian during the 2 years she has been in jail. She had no lawyer and no translator.

Also, the prosecutor put forth several theories for Amanda's motive, ending with that Amanda just hated Meredith. They had not lived together that long! It takes a LONG time to develop that level of hatred for a person. Sure you can be annoyed, and annoying, by and to a new roommate, but to reach the level of HATE to kill somebody when you could always leave the shared apartment and hang out at your boyfriends? I can see resentment, but not the evil that would have to drive the hate to commit such a crime.

IMO, I don't see how the evidence alone could have convicted her. Too much emphasis on her sex life and marijuana smoking could have been a deciding factor for some of the judges and jurors in their decision
It doesn't matter to me that she bought panties or whatnot with RS shortly after the murder and talked about upcoming sexual interludes. She was 20, twenty!! lordy be, if sex and pot could determine innocence or guilt, I would have been in a A LOT of trouble in Texas in the early nineties! :innocent:

I'm saddened by the verdict. I don't think I could have voted for conviction on the evidence alone. I am mostly sad for her family, who have effectively lost their young daughter, inside a foreign justice system. Now they're moving to Italy for the appeal? Mom & Dad divorced and are both re-married, so 2 more families lives have been ruined. And of course, Meredith's family, will never recover from the loss of their beautiful daughter.

I'm going to call into LKL tonight and if I get through im going to see if we can send her any mail....Flood them with mail for her from the states....

I wonder if she can be let out of jail ... from them showing that animated video. Doesn't seem fair.

The problem of course was the total lack of any emotion over the loss of a young college girl. Total lack of emotion, period, unless you count passion and sexual reaction to her boyfriend. IMO, she acted even less emotional than Casey Anthony.

Also, why is she talking about not having the mask of a murderer (or whatever it was) put on her...it seems like a truly anguished and innocent person would be declaring their innocence,over and over, not talking about masks...However--maybe she was ill-advised to make such a statement. I just don't know.

JMO....

I think about Amanda, 2 years ago and under interrogation for HOURS, over 3 days, by police in a foreign country where she had lived only, iirc, a few short months and could have in no way mastered the Italian language in that time. In fact, she has acknowledged that she has only learned to speak/understand Italian during the 2 years she has been in jail. She had no lawyer and no translator.

Also, the prosecutor put forth several theories for Amanda's motive, ending with that Amanda just hated Meredith. They had not lived together that long! It takes a LONG time to develop that level of hatred for a person. Sure you can be annoyed, and annoying, by and to a new roommate, but to reach the level of HATE to kill somebody when you could always leave the shared apartment and hang out at your boyfriends? I can see resentment, but not the evil that would have to drive the hate to commit such a crime.

IMO, I don't see how the evidence alone could have convicted her. Too much emphasis on her sex life and marijuana smoking could have been a deciding factor for some of the judges and jurors in their decision
It doesn't matter to me that she bought panties or whatnot with RS shortly after the murder and talked about upcoming sexual interludes. She was 20, twenty!! lordy be, if sex and pot could determine innocence or guilt, I would have been in a A LOT of trouble in Texas in the early nineties! :innocent:

I'm saddened by the verdict. I don't think I could have voted for conviction on the evidence alone. I am mostly sad for her family, who have effectively lost their young daughter, inside a foreign justice system. Now they're moving to Italy for the appeal? Mom & Dad divorced and are both re-married, so 2 more families lives have been ruined. And of course, Meredith's family, will never recover from the loss of their beautiful daughter.

bolded by me.

Sometimes there is an instant chemical reaction between two people that makes it impossible for them to get along. Hard to explain--it's only happened to me a few times in my long life--but it can happen.

Also, why is she talking about not having the mask of a murderer (or whatever it was) put on her...it seems like a truly anguished and innocent person would be declaring their innocence,over and over, not talking about masks...However--maybe she was ill-advised to make such a statement. I just don't know.

I agree with you on that one. She did not plead her innocence. I truly believe that she thought that she was above someone who could actually be convicted of murder, thus she was not concerned about it. She crucified herself by her very own actions. She was her worst enemy.

Is there any explanation yet on why she received one year more than her boyfriend?

I'm going to call into LKL tonight and if I get through im going to see if we can send her any mail....Flood them with mail for her from the states....

I wonder if she can be let out of jail ... from them showing that animated video. Doesn't seem fair.

One of the talking heads made it sound like on appeal she could have her sentence shortened significantly. I doubt they would overturn it, but it could be shortened. At this point, I think that is the best she and her family can hope to happen. I wonder how long appeals take in Italy? Their whole system seems flawed to me. I think it was on Fox that someone made the comment that in the US you are innocent until proven guilty....in Italy, if you are charged, you are considered guilty and it is your responsibility to prove innocence.

Is there any explanation yet on why she received one year more than her boyfriend?

Because they hate her and it was one last little jab to make a point? I'm not being flippant (well, maybe a little), but that was my first thought when she got the extra year. It was just a little extra snub to her.

One of the talking heads made it sound like on appeal she could have her sentence shortened significantly. I doubt they would overturn it, but it could be shortened. At this point, I think that is the best she and her family can hope to happen. I wonder how long appeals take in Italy? Their whole system seems flawed to me. I think it was on Fox that someone made the comment that in the US you are innocent until proven guilty....in Italy, if you are charged, you are considered guilty and it is your responsibility to prove innocence.

I heard one of the live reporters mention something about a year or two for the appeal, which is why her family said they would move to Italy for that

imo the innocent until proven guilty thing is more theoretical than anything - here people are found guilty in the court of public opinion before & w/o benefit of trial (jmo of course)

JMO....

Ha, I know what you mean about the 90s!

-AK was a WITNESS before she accused Patrick L, from that point on she was at least a SUSPECT. AK demanded to speak to LE in the middle of the night and a couple of days later submitted a letter to them describing her 'thoughts' of what might have happened and what she was doing that night that she could remember. She also sent emails describing the day and night to family and friends. All of these statements are full of descrepancies and some outright lies imo. She was offered a translater and did not need one in her own opinion in the first interviews.

-The prosecution did not have to give a motive, mostly it was just speculation/theories/possible scenarios of what might have happened according to all the evidence and using logic.

-I don't think AK hated Meredith, maybe resentment/jealousy/dislike/indifference... probably some better descriptions anyway. I believe this may have started as a prank, as there has been some questions about AK doing this to another person in her past = pretending to kidnap a person or scare them while under disguise. I think it maybe started out that way to scare or intimidate Meredith... and escalated out of control.
I do believe Meredith was annoyed at AK's sanitary habits, activities with guys, and overall behavior... but not hate either.

-The evidence of clean-up and a staged break-in were large factors in case.
RG would not clean up other evidence and leave his all over the place. Why would a break-in be staged? How was this and the blood stains and Meredith's locked door not make AK suspicious when she first came home as she said? Why can RS and AK not remember exactly what they did that night except for proven lies? Why would they BOTH lie anyway, if innocent? There is AKs and Merediths DNA on a knife found at RS home... how could that happen if Meredith had eaten supper with RS as he claimed? Why would they both turn off their cell phones (unlike any other days) at the same time early that night? Where are the clothes and shoes she was wearing that night?
Much more stuff than you might imagine at first to consider imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni