17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been lurking for a while, and have been deeply entrenched in this case.

Just wanted to say hello and tell you folks how much I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.

That's all for now. :)

BUT in the trial, GZ and his lawyer can only use the regular self-defense law, not SYG.

And the difference between regular SYG and self-defense would be what? SYG is a self-defense law.

I wonder if GZ goes before a judge and he deems it a SYG case and releases him ,Can GZ turn around and sue for being jailed?The reason for the SYG is so if you have to use force to protect yourself you do not wind up in jail.

Yes, I believe he could ask for lost wages and such under FL law.

Been lurking for a while, and have been deeply entrenched in this case.

Just wanted to say hello and tell you folks how much I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.

That's all for now. :)

:welcome:

:)

I do like Richard Hornsby I too wish he would drop in and help us understand this law and how it works.

And Richard if you do drop by.....
my question to you is would you have taken on this case if asked to?

Apparently he has never lost a SYG case.
And if I were in Zimmerman's shoes I would have been looking for a lawyer experienced in SYG.
His current lawyer seems to be better than the other two, but still no experience with SYG? What's Zimmerman thinking?

Now, let legal system work

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/op...ditorial-gs-20120414,0,658863.story?track=rss

This should have happened in late February, and if it had, the nation would have been spared one more polarizing chapter. Nonetheless, it is time to look forward and allow the legal system in Florida, without further interferance, to get to the real work of finding justice in the Trayvon Martin case.
------

The rallies in Florida and nationwide did serve the purpose of keeping the tragic case in the public eye daily. Critics alleged the public demonstrations were a rush to judgment, but without the rallies it's questionable whether the murder of Trayvon Martin would have ever been heard in a courthouse.

Now, the challenge for all sides is to let the legal system work. It is incumbent to get at the truth of what happened and why on Feb. 26, with the aid of facts, evidence and witnesses on both sides.

More at link....

Marine in trouble for tweet about Trayvon Martin shooting...

A Marine at Twenty-nine Palms is facing punishment after making an "inappropriate" reference to the Trayvon Martin case in a Twitter message, the Marine Corps said Saturday.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sns-la-lanews-marine-in-trouble-for-tweet-a-20120414,0,469149.story

He tweeted: "Rifle range all day today. Shooting black all day like George Zimmerman." (from ^ link)

Sure we don't have a racism issue in this country... (puts head back in sand...)

And if I were in Zimmerman's shoes I would have been looking for a lawyer experienced in SYG.
His current lawyer seems to be better than the other two, but still no experience with SYG? What's Zimmerman thinking?

IMO He definitely should have a lawyer who has a good track record with SYG cases. Very good question IMO.

That's not what he himself says:

Good discussion on the case and the SYG defense, and Richard Hornsby is interviewed:

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/12/150507...zimmerman-case

Excerpts from Hornsby:

Quote:
If he decides there are no challenges worth making before the arraignment, he'll file a written plea of not guilty, and that arraignment will actually be waived, and it will never be held by the judge. Then after that, the next major thing I think the public will get to see is there will likely be a hearing on the Stand Your Ground motion, the defense - what we call an immunity hearing, where George Zimmerman will have to present evidence to establish that he was legally defending himself.

And if he establishes that by a preponderance of the evidence, then the judge will be required to dismiss the charge.

Quote:
Is it successful? No, I would not say that people are filing these motions left and right and winning. You know, I've filed maybe 15 motions, Stand Your Ground motions to dismiss, since the law has been implemented, and I've only won two or three of them at the - you know, in front of a judge. Because, again, the judge has to believe the defendant's version of the events and believe the defendant was reasonably defending himself.

And many times, if you have, you know, a defendant and a victim come in, and they're both equally credible, it's sometimes hard for the defendant to meet that burden. The judge says, well, I think a jury should decide this.

You know, the big issue in George Zimmerman's case is, of course, Trayvon Martin isn't around to tell his side of the story, and so the prosecutor is going to have to tell Trayvon Martin's story through circumstantial evidence and things of that nature.

See post #227

He tweeted: "Rifle range all day today. Shooting black all day like George Zimmerman." (from ^ link)

Sure we don't have a racism issue in this country... (puts head back in sand...)

(Gently pulls Nomoresorrow's head out of the sand.)

come on girl don't give up just yet, there is work to be done for our children to see.

That's not what he himself says:

Good discussion on the case and the SYG defense, and Richard Hornsby is interviewed:

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/12/150507...zimmerman-case

Excerpts from Hornsby:

Quote:
If he decides there are no challenges worth making before the arraignment, he'll file a written plea of not guilty, and that arraignment will actually be waived, and it will never be held by the judge. Then after that, the next major thing I think the public will get to see is there will likely be a hearing on the Stand Your Ground motion, the defense - what we call an immunity hearing, where George Zimmerman will have to present evidence to establish that he was legally defending himself.

And if he establishes that by a preponderance of the evidence, then the judge will be required to dismiss the charge.

Quote:
Is it successful? No, I would not say that people are filing these motions left and right and winning. You know, I've filed maybe 15 motions, Stand Your Ground motions to dismiss, since the law has been implemented, and I've only won two or three of them at the - you know, in front of a judge. Because, again, the judge has to believe the defendant's version of the events and believe the defendant was reasonably defending himself.

And many times, if you have, you know, a defendant and a victim come in, and they're both equally credible, it's sometimes hard for the defendant to meet that burden. The judge says, well, I think a jury should decide this.

You know, the big issue in George Zimmerman's case is, of course, Trayvon Martin isn't around to tell his side of the story, and so the prosecutor is going to have to tell Trayvon Martin's story through circumstantial evidence and things of that nature.

See post #227

Here he's talking about the preliminary hearing (motion to dismiss), not the case overall.

IMO The masses will go crazy if GZ goes before a judge and the judge says yes your right it is SYG and releases him.If it goes to trial and he is acquitted IMO Those who believe he was killed for walking while black will make what happened after Rodney King look tame.JMO

By projecting the outcome, you're essentially saying, IF the judge rules against GZ's SYG defense, he/she is only doing so because of public pressure? You couldn't/would'nt accept that a decision made against the SYG defense by a judge could be grounded in exact law pertaining to the SYG defense itself? Cause I'm thinking, IF the judge rules in favor of the SYG defense, he/she will include an explanation of the law and how it applies in this case and, while I may not like it, my anger will be directed at changing the SYG law itself - if that includes PEACEFUL civil disobedience, so be it.

AMOO~

I totally agree with you. Chit happens. I think the only reason people question TM's dad that night is because that very day Trayvon was suspended for 10 days and for the third time. So some might wonder why the kid was even allowed out the door that night. And why dad just assumed he went to the movies. He was suspended that day and they had no problem with him going off to the movies, with out asking or telling anyone, after telling his kid brother he was going off to get him candy? I am not bashing, just explaining why some might wonder about it. If my 17 yr old says I am coming right back with candy, and I am just walking to the store, then I don't go to bed assuming everything is fine, if he never comes back that night. I know a few people will yell at me for asking these questions, but I am responding to a post in which the questions were already asked.

Your friends son was in his own hometown, so it made more sense that he had found a ride with a friend somewhere. And he wasnt grounded.

So now we're back to questioning the Martin's parenting skills. I don't think that's an appropriate topic. TM had no car. He had a cell phone. He walked to the convenience store and back. What does any of that have to do with TM being shot by GZ?

By projecting the outcome, you're essentially saying, IF the judge rules against GZ's SYG defense, he/she is only doing so because of public pressure? You couldn't/would'nt accept that a decision made against the SYG defense by a judge could be grounded in exact law pertaining to the SYG defense itself? Cause I'm thinking, IF the judge rules in favor of the SYG defense, he/she will include an explanation of the law and how it applies in this case and, while I may not like it, my anger will be directed at changing the SYG law itself - if that includes PEACEFUL civil disobedience, so be it.

AMOO~

You may accept it peacefully but JMO a lot will not.

And the difference between regular SYG and self-defense would be what? SYG is a self-defense law.

The difference is that the one who feels they are being attacked do not have to retreat and it applies any place, not just a home, car, etc.:

(1) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:

(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and

(b) The person who uses defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.

SYG:

(3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

I wonder if GZ goes before a judge and he deems it a SYG case and releases him ,Can GZ turn around and sue for being jailed?The reason for the SYG is so if you have to use force to protect yourself you do not wind up in jail.

--absolutely not.

--he wasn't arrested the night of the shooting b/c at the time SPD 'didn't have any evidence to dispute' george's SYG explanation---chief lee says that "prohibited" then from making an arrest, that night.

--following an investigation-----the SA found there was probable cause to arrest george, supported by the investigators affidavits.

--if he "wins" the SYG motion to dismiss hearing, it simply means he will be immune from further prosecution on the charge---not that his arrest was 'wrong' in the 1st place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie