UT - Sierra Newbold, 6, abducted & murdered, West Jordan, 26 June 2012 *Arrest*

My daughter is now 20 and I was so petrified of this happening when she was born that I installed window locks and screens on all the windows - we didn't even have a proper bathroom but locks were my priority as it was the best I could do to soothe my own fears.

God can't be everywhere, thats why he invented mothers. And window locks.

We keep our kids safe by doing what you did - automatically registering a strange car - and when summer comes, you can bet you or another parent will be out there watching over them.

We have to be careful not to bring up cotton-wool kids who are scared of their own shadows. There are not monsters on every corner...I'll prove it.

Think of how many little kids are in your town/city/state.

Then times it by 10, to cover kids that were in that age in the last 10 years.

Then find the stats on how many little kids have been abducted/murdered in the last 10 years in your city/state.

Then find the stats on the perp - how many were parents/known to the child, how many were stranger abductions?

Hopefully this will calm you down somewhat as to the statistics. Our kids are much more likely to be run over and killed in their own driveways by a parent in a SUV, than abducted and murdered by a stranger.

There are opportunists (not monsters) on every street corner...but most of them, you already know. The monsters who actually do this are few and far between Thank God...and responsible parenting and simple measures will help keep them away.

BBM - Unfortuntately, I think that there is often times responsible parenting and monsters still get away with something. I think of Elizabeth Smart. She was in a wonderful, loving home. They had locks on the doors, and one day the just happened to leave the locks undone. Should they have hired people that they didn't know? Probably not, but then Mrs. Smart is one of the kindest people around. She WANTS to help people. I cannot fault her for being kind; and she didn't let these strangers stay in her home.

In Sierra's case, these parents had video surveillance. This did not stop a monster from taking her. Unfortunately, there are still chances of the horrible, unthinkable happening.

I am praying that LE has the perp under surveillance until all of the tests and necessary information is obtained to make an arrest (thinking of Sierra in CA).

BBM - Unfortuntately, I think that there is often times responsible parenting and monsters still get away with something. I think of Elizabeth Smart. She was in a wonderful, loving home. They had locks on the doors, and one day the just happened to leave the locks undone. Should they have hired people that they didn't know? Probably not, but then Mrs. Smart is one of the kindest people around. She WANTS to help people. I cannot fault her for being kind; and she didn't let these strangers stay in her home.

In Sierra's case, these parents had video surveillance. This did not stop a monster from taking her. Unfortunately, there are still chances of the horrible, unthinkable happening.

I am praying that LE has the perp under surveillance until all of the tests and necessary information is obtained to make an arrest (thinking of Sierra in CA).

Of course it happens, I never said it didn't! This site wouldn't exist if there were no offenders!

What I did say is, people need to be careful not to panic and overreact.

I'm seeing a bit of this on this thread. Some are blindly blaming a serial kiddie murderer, when no-one has confirmed that there is one.

There are easy ways to protect your children and reduce the risk. Granted, you could live in Fort Knox and a determined offender will make it through, but generally, they want a soft target. These guys are not known for their balls.

Stranger danger is real, it does exist, but it is far less prevalent than some believe...and it is simple to prove it to yourself by the easy statistical analysis I posted earlier.

I agree SapphireSteel with most of what you have said. I didn't mean to start any argument. :hug:

I just wanted to point out that this can happen even to careful and cautious parents. It is my greatest fear that even though I am careful, even though I am vigilent, even though I am not naive, what if... !!! I am terrified of anything ever happening to my children.

Of course it happens, I never said it didn't! This site wouldn't exist if there were no offenders!

What I did say is, people need to be careful not to panic and overreact.

I'm seeing a bit of this on this thread. Some are blindly blaming a serial kiddie murderer, when no-one has confirmed that there is one.

There are easy ways to protect your children and reduce the risk. Granted, you could live in Fort Knox and a determined offender will make it through, but generally, they want a soft target. These guys are not known for their balls.

Stranger danger is real, it does exist, but it is far less prevalent than some believe...and it is simple to prove it to yourself by the easy statistical analysis I posted earlier.
I am not blindly blaming a serial killer-but there is no other info on this case. I just thought it was interesting that a number of 6 & 7 year old girls have been taken from their rooms in the same area of the country and the murders are still not solved.

There are so many cases out there just like this one and the national media cant begin to cover everyone of them.

Imo,some have been fooled into believing stranger abductions are rare. I havent believe that foolishness for years now. I bet we could keep searching and keep finding more and more cases where children were abducted from their own bedrooms.

Like I had mentioned earlier on Isa's thread my next door neighbor's daughter told me that her daughter was kidnapped and raped when she was a young child. After raping her she ran home. The perp gained access to the home through her bedroom window and the parents and her brother were there too and no one heard a thing until the little girl came into her parents' bedroom crying and holding her private parts with blood streaming down her little legs.

The man did not even know this family. He had seen her out playing in her yard and came back and took her. He is still in prison.

I cant believe this case isnt getting more attention here. It is like some dont even want to post about strangers possibly kidnapping, raping, and murdering small children. Sierra was murdered on the 26th and we are only on page 6 on this thread. Sad.

Society needs to wake up and stop drinking the koolaid the government tries to get them to drink.

All one has to do is start searching for such cases themselves and also read about all the attempted abductions of children by complete strangers. It is almost like an epidemic and happens almost on a daily basis somewhere in our country.

IMO

(Ages 1-5) Only 7% of abducted children were abducted by non-family/acquaintances/strangers. 93% were abducted by family.

(Ages 6-11) Only 12% of abducted children were abducted by non-family/acquaintances/strangers. 88% were abducted by family.

Of all the stranger/acquaintance abductions of children, only 5% of the kids were taken from their home or yard (that's pretty close to ZERO).
http://www.pollyklaas.org/media/pdf/NISMARTIInonfamily.pdf

Neighbors rally around family of slain 6-year-old Sierra Newbold

snipped

Sgt. Drew Sanders said, “Obviously something occurred here that resulted in someone taking her away from her home or her leaving her home, but we’re not releasing what we think that is.”

West Jordan Police Chief Doug Diamond said, “We have not ruled out anything. The parents are fully cooperative with us. They’re helping us in the investigation. At this point I don’t know who the suspects are.”

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...=20&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

hmmm

What did I miss?

Why the hmmm?

(Ages 1-5) Only 7% of abducted children were abducted by non-family/acquaintances/strangers. 93% were abducted by family.

(Ages 6-11) Only 12% of abducted children were abducted by non-family/acquaintances/strangers. 88% were abducted by family.

Of all the stranger/acquaintance abductions of children, only 5% of the kids were taken from their home or yard (that's pretty close to ZERO).
http://www.pollyklaas.org/media/pdf/NISMARTIInonfamily.pdf

I appreciate the link but as I have said in the past I do not believe in the statistics. And statistics really mean nothing to the individual child that goes missing and winds up raped and murdered. Until so many cases are resolved we will never know the true answer to what happened to these children or who the perp was.

I will trust what I read and have read in the past. It seems there isnt a day that goes by that a stranger isnt attempting to abuct a child. Just because those attempts were foiled doesnt mean the stranger wasnt trying to kidnap the young child for sexual purposes.

IMO

I am not blindly blaming a serial killer-but there is no other info on this case. I just thought it was interesting that a number of 6 & 7 year old girls have been taken from their rooms in the same area of the country and the murders are still not solved.

It is mind boggling how many were taken from their rooms and in the very same area of the country.

And we have discussed in the past how hard these cases are to solve. When there is no linkage to the victim and the perp the police dont know where to start unless they get lucky and either someone saw the kidnapper taking the child or the perp got careless and left DNA behind.

Which I hope that is what has happened in this case. Imo, they found Sierra's body in time that I dont think the DNA would have been destroyed. Now lets hope he is a criminal data bank somewhere.

IMO

I agree SapphireSteel with most of what you have said. I didn't mean to start any argument. :hug:

I just wanted to point out that this can happen even to careful and cautious parents. It is my greatest fear that even though I am careful, even though I am vigilent, even though I am not naive, what if... !!! I am terrified of anything ever happening to my children.

All good parents are...that's why they do their utmost to keep them safe.

This is something to bear in mind when watching the reactions of parents who are claiming their children have been abducted by the boogey man. Did they do their utmost to keep their children safe? If the answer's no, or there is something in their grief, or their story, that is "not quite right" this is a massive red flag to LE.

No argument, you make excellent points too - but there are some people who seem to have almost a vested interest in stirring up panic and fear in others. Perhaps they somehow are trying to convince themselves that outwardly upstanding citizens NEVER hurt their kids...I don't know. Either way, the bogeyman stealing your children from your beds is NOT a common occurence. It happens, there are cases - but they are statistically insignificant. Now ALL our kids are all getting fat because we are too scared to let them play in the street or walk to school...they are the first generation that is likely to die before their parents, ever, due to these lifestyle changes...which are mainly based in a needless fear.

I was the worst sort of fearful parent - but even I managed to relax enough to let my kids walk to high school. They always had to call me the instant they got home and my heart would fly into my throat if they were even a minute late. They still don't know about this - it was MY fear and I kept it from them. I gave them all the advice and tools for stranger danger, but at some point I actually had to suck it up and let them go and realise that statistically, they would be fine.

My kids aren't fat, they both walk and ride their bikes around and I like to think they had an "ordinary" childhood, just like I did...not coddled and wrapped up to soothe MY issues.

sierra7.jpg

It's hard to put into words what the loss of a bright-eyed, 6-year-old girl with freckles can do to her family.

One day, Sierra Newbold is dancing and dressing up in "fairy costumes" with her kid sister and the next day, she's gone.

sierra3.jpg

"You don't even know hardly how to feel or think — it just upsets your whole world," Sierra's grandmother Frances Newbold said Friday.

"The first day was just so devastating... You finally dry up. You run out of tears."

-------------------------------------

Tonya Nielson walked the neighborhood streets Friday with her daughter, S***, to let residents know about a vigil that night at West Jordan Elementary School Friday at 8:30 p.m.

S*** donated her own money to help pay for the fliers and mused that "this probably isn't half of what we need" as they posted them.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=210...of-girl-neighbors-plan-vigil&s_cid=featured-1

sierra2h.jpg

I just love this photo of her!!

All good parents are...that's why they do their utmost to keep them safe.

This is something to bear in mind when watching the reactions of parents who are claiming their children have been abducted by the boogey man. Did they do their utmost to keep their children safe? If the answer's no, or there is something in their grief, or their story, that is "not quite right" this is a massive red flag to LE.

No argument, you make excellent points too - but there are some people who seem to have almost a vested interest in stirring up panic and fear in others. Perhaps they somehow are trying to convince themselves that outwardly upstanding citizens NEVER hurt their kids...I don't know. Either way, the bogeyman stealing your children from your beds is NOT a common occurence. It happens, there are cases - but they are statistically insignificant. Now ALL our kids are all getting fat because we are too scared to let them play in the street or walk to school...they are the first generation that is likely to die before their parents, ever, due to these lifestyle changes...which are mainly based in a needless fear.

I was the worst sort of fearful parent - but even I managed to relax enough to let my kids walk to high school. They always had to call me the instant they got home and my heart would fly into my throat if they were even a minute late. They still don't know about this - it was MY fear and I kept it from them. I gave them all the advice and tools for stranger danger, but at some point I actually had to suck it up and let them go and realise that statistically, they would be fine.

My kids aren't fat, they both walk and ride their bikes around and I like to think they had an "ordinary" childhood, just like I did...not coddled and wrapped up to soothe MY issues.

BBM

Who are you talking about?

I have a vested interest in the entire truth being told. It has nothing to do with panic and everything to do with awareness. Are you saying that strangers arent trying to abduct children even in broad daylight?If so, then you must not read about the cases where it seems to be happening everyday somewhere in this country. It matters not if the kidnapper takes the child from their home, yard, or walking to or from school. They are still kidnapped and victims of attempted kidnapping by a stranger.

I am not quite sure what you are implying when you state 'Did they do their utmost to keep their children safe?' Are you blaming the parents of children who were abducted from their own bedrooms or kidnapped else where by a pedo stranger and later found murdered or the child never found? The Van Dams, Lunsford, Greone, Klass, Walsh, Runion, Thompson, Smart, and countless other parents who have had to endure the trauma of having a child kidnapped? Every child should be safe in their own homes or in their yards or going anywhere they please. The parents arent to blame when a predator strikes right out of the blue with no warning.

Whether it is a common occurence or not doesnt ever mean it doesnt happen. That brings very little solace to the Newbold family who is now going through the nightmare of losing a child due to a predator. Did statistics protect Sierra and so many others just like her?

We dont have a clue how many children go missing from their own bedrooms. Posters on this very thread have found multiple cases where it happened right in that area and that doesnt cover but one small area.

Who is trying to convince themselves that parents dont harm their children? Anyone that has been on message boards for very long or has kept up with true crime knows all to well that some parents are capable of doing horrendous things to their own children. I think the number is even higher than the 400 children a year killed by one of their bio parents.

I dont agree........most children who are obese is because now they stay in front of a computer and stay inside and dont get out to run and play where they would get exercise. And a lot of children today sadly are raised on fast food too which is the worst food they can eat. It has nothing to do with being fearful of a stranger abduction, imo. Not one statistician has stated fear of stranger abductions is a reason for child obesity.

IMO

What a beautiful little girl. Prayers going up for her family....and praying the perp(s) are found and justice served. I could never imagine what they are going through.

There are window alarms you can buy and still be able to leave the window open...just not enough for someone to crawl in without lifting it up more. As soon as the alarm picks up ANY movement in the window's level it goes off....LOUD. they can be used on sliding doors also. Neve assume a burglar or worse won't come through a second or third floor window.....they most certainly WILL.

Are you including Isabel in those numbers?

At the time of writing, no one knows what has happened to Isabel.

BBM

Who are you talking about?

I have a vested interest in the entire truth being told. It has nothing to do with panic and everything to do with awareness. Are you saying that strangers arent trying to abduct children even in broad daylight?If so, then you must not read about the cases where it seems to be happening everyday somewhere in this country. It matters not if the kidnapper takes the child from their home, yard, or walking to or from school. They are still kidnapped and victims of attempted kidnapping by a stranger.

I am not quite sure what you are implying when you state 'Did they do their utmost to keep their children safe?' Are you blaming the parents of children who were abducted from their own bedrooms or kidnapped else where by a pedo stranger and later found murdered or the child never found? The Van Dams, Lunsford, Greone, Klass, Walsh, Runion, Thompson, Smart, and countless other parents who have had to endure the trauma of having a child kidnapped? Every child should be safe in their own homes or in their yards or going anywhere they please. The parents arent to blame when a predator strikes right out of the blue with no warning.

Whether it is a common occurence or not doesnt ever mean it doesnt happen. That brings very little solace to the Newbold family who is now going through the nightmare of losing a child due to a predator. Did statistics protect Sierra and so many others just like her?

We dont have a clue how many children go missing from their own bedrooms. Posters on this very thread have found multiple cases where it happened right in that area and that doesnt cover but one small area.

Who is trying to convince themselves that parents dont harm their children? Anyone that has been on message boards for very long or has kept up with true crime knows all to well that some parents are capable of doing horrendous things to their own children. I think the number is even higher than the 400 children a year killed by one of their bio parents.

I dont agree........most children who are obese is because now they stay in front of a computer and stay inside and dont get out to run and play where they would get exercise. And a lot of children today sadly are raised on fast food too which is the worst food they can eat. It has nothing to do with being fearful of a stranger abduction, imo. Not one statistician has stated fear of stranger abductions is a reason for child obesity.

IMO

But...that's not possible unless there's a huge coverup of children even going missing. According to NCMEC, there are currently 146 missing children from 2010. That number includes family abductions (custody issues) and runaways. So even if you assume that every child on that list was kidnapped by a stranger, well, where are the other 300+? They are not listed on NCMEC, and the local news has not written one article about a child kidnapped by a stranger? Nothing on social media? If there are 400+ children being abducted by strangers every year, they just don't exist...they have been completely erased. We are talking massive government coverup; I can only see them doing that if aliens are involved.

But...that's not possible unless there's a huge coverup of children even going missing. According to NCMEC, there are currently 146 missing children from 2010. That number includes family abductions (custody issues) and runaways. So even if you assume that every child on that list was kidnapped by a stranger, well, where are the other 300+? They are not listed on NCMEC, and the local news has not written one article about a child kidnapped by a stranger? Nothing on social media? If there are 400+ children being abducted by strangers every year, they just don't exist...they have been completely erased. We are talking massive government coverup; I can only see them doing that if aliens are involved.

:ufo:

Perhaps thats what happened to Isabel.

This may have posted before, but here is the canal. If you zoom out, you can also see their house and how close it was.

http://goo.gl/maps/wsvj

:( she was 10 days older then my daughter. Breaks my heart to even think about how excited she must have been going into the 1st grade next yr. Everyday I hear my daughter talk about how excited she is. All missing people make me sad but the ones closest to my kiddos' ages are the hardest to even try to wrap my brain around.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back