6 Family Characteristics That Can Contribute to Bullying

HMSHood

Admiral-Class Battlecruiser
Reaction score
6 Family Characteristics That Can Contribute to Bullying
http://familymatters.vision.org/Fam...aracteristics-That-Can-Contribute-to-Bullying

1.) "Cool-to-cold emotional environment" with lack of involvement from the primary caregiver;

2.) Permissive parenting style—few rules or limits for behavior, little family structure

3.) Isolation of family from the community, and active social life or social involvement of family is lacking;

4.) Conflict between parents, and disharmony within the family;

5.) Inappropriate use of discipline—parents fail to punish aggression or may even reinforce it; and fail to reward prosocial behavior or may even punish it;

6.) Authoritarian parenting with high use of controlling and punitive discipline—parents try to maintain order with rigid household standards and rules.

First, second, and sixth one are no surprise to me.

Third one is something I usually do not hear much of.

Fourth one is no surprise. Negativistic relationship with parents is a very strong factor. I notice many bullies and criminals have very poor relationship with parents and siblings.

Fifth one is usually tied to authoritarian parenting and sometimes permissive parenting.

This has been pretty accurate to my experience.

In contrast, authoritarian parenting (characterized by harsh, negative parenting practices, including neglect) was associated with increases in bullying experiences.

It makes sense, of course, but I think that this kind of parenting also tends to create the combination bully-bullied kid that the media doesn't seem to talk about much.

I had a boyfriend in high school with extremely controlling parents. In addition to being the classic "helicopter parents", they would isolate him from his friends and interests for minor things. I remember that he got a B in algebra one year, and was isolated from me and our friends until summer - 6 months after the report card came home. (so #3 also comes into play here)

As a result, he was quiet and a pushover because he was so used to being bullied by his parents. Kids picked up on it and bothered him at times. But he had this aggression about him bubbling just beneath the surface. Always. He was the guy that would let someone push him to the edge, and if they just went a little too far, would snap and make their lives miserable for weeks, months, years. He would become the bully very quickly and blow whatever the other person did out of the water.

I wasn't a terrible teenager, but not always great, either. I dumped him for another guy, and all permissiveness just fell down. He stalked me for weeks, made threats to my friends, tried to break into my new boyfriend's home, etc, etc. He stopped after being threatened with a restraining order (go figure), but I continue to hear about how he harasses and scares people in some of the local bars when he partakes a little too much.

Have a good parenting balance with your kids, friends. That's basically the point of this article. Being in one extreme or the other could create a seriously damaged, scary human being.

This has been pretty accurate to my experience.

It makes sense, of course, but I think that this kind of parenting also tends to create the combination bully-bullied kid that the media doesn't seem to talk about much.

I had a boyfriend in high school with extremely controlling parents. In addition to being the classic "helicopter parents", they would isolate him from his friends and interests for minor things. I remember that he got a B in algebra one year, and was isolated from me and our friends until summer - 6 months after the report card came home. (so #3 also comes into play here)

As a result, he was quiet and a pushover because he was so used to being bullied by his parents. Kids picked up on it and bothered him at times. But he had this aggression about him bubbling just beneath the surface. Always. He was the guy that would let someone push him to the edge, and if they just went a little too far, would snap and make their lives miserable for weeks, months, years. He would become the bully very quickly and blow whatever the other person did out of the water.

I wasn't a terrible teenager, but not always great, either. I dumped him for another guy, and all permissiveness just fell down. He stalked me for weeks, made threats to my friends, tried to break into my new boyfriend's home, etc, etc. He stopped after being threatened with a restraining order (go figure), but I continue to hear about how he harasses and scares people in some of the local bars when he partakes a little too much.

Have a good parenting balance with your kids, friends. That's basically the point of this article. Being in one extreme or the other could create a seriously damaged, scary human being.

Authoritarian and/or permissive parenting lead to the same problem. I would suspect repression is a factor.

The bullied bully is the most common and dangerous.

From research, young females using the internet to cyber bully is on the rise.

From research, young females using the internet to cyber bully is on the rise.

Because girls like to gang up anonymously, and keep showing their facade to the adult world. "I am so innocent and sweet. Don't look at my phone!"

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back