Carmageddon!

DollyPardonMe

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This weekend, July 16th and 17th, Los Angeles will be closing down the 405 freeway for a 10 mile stretch to widen the Mulholland Bridge from 4 lanes to 5! They have penned this closure "Carmageddon"! Businesses are panicking saying they will lose so much business in the one weekend period it will hurt their sales for the month. They have even brought Erik Estrada (Who?) out of retirement to do a public service announcement. Some officials have even scared the public into saying this closure could shut the 405 all the way down to the mexican border. Then, if that's not enough they will be doing this again in a few weeks to do the south side of the bridge. Would you stay home that weekend or just say Hiogwash and maneuver your way through side streets to get your Big Mac that is calling your name!

http://thecityfix.com/blog/carmageddon-los-angeles-braces-for-traffic-chaos/

This weekend, July 16th and 17th, Los Angeles will be closing down the 405 freeway for a 10 mile stretch to widen the Mulholland Bridge from 4 lanes to 5! They have penned this closure "Carmageddon"! Businesses are panicking saying they will lose so much business in the one weekend period it will hurt their sales for the month. They have even brought Erik Estrada (Who?) out of retirement to do a public service announcement. Some officials have even scared the public into saying this closure could shut the 405 all the way down to the mexican border. Then, if that's not enough they will be doing this again in a few weeks to do the south side of the bridge. Would you stay home that weekend or just say Hiogwash and maneuver your way through side streets to get your Big Mac that is calling your name!

Wouldn't you know we have to drive into the city on Saturday to pick up our daughter in Long Beach? I'm pretending the effects won't be felt so far South, but they don't call it the "Four or Five MPH Freeway" for nothing!

On the second evening of the L.A. Riots in the early 90s, it took me so long to get down the 405 from UCLA to Venice that I finally gave up and drove my jeep over the curb and down the side of an overpass.

Wouldn't you know we have to drive into the city on Saturday to pick up our daughter in Long Beach? I'm pretending the effects won't be felt so far South, but they don't call it the "Four or Five MPH Freeway" for nothing!

On the second evening of the L.A. Riots in the early 90s, it took me so long to get down the 405 from UCLA to Venice that I finally gave up and drove my jeep over the curb and down the side of an overpass.

Yeah, hopefully Long Beach will be safe!

That's why I love my small little town. A traffic jam is 20 cars. Waiting at a light for more than ten minutes is an outrage. If you do get caught in a traffic jam it's so beautiful you just look around for 9 minutes and then you're off. Well enjoy California, I'll be thinking about you as I'm going 65 down the highway.

It is beautiful along the coast this weekend, take 241 to 133 stop at the Sawdust Festival then go up PCH! ;)

I wonder if the people up in LA know that the 405 doesn't go all the way to Mexico?:waitasec:

I wonder if the people up in LA know that the 405 doesn't go all the way to Mexico?:waitasec:

LOL - that's what I thought. Living in San Diego :waitasec: because the 5 ends (or begins) in Orange County then turns into the 5. Once you get to Carmel Valley it splits with the 5 and 805 -- which routes lead to Mexico.

The 405 is is a major north–south Interstate Highway in Southern California. It is a bypass of Interstate 5, running along the western areas of the Greater Los Angeles Area from Irvine to near San Fernando.

Not even close to Mexico - LOL.

Mel

ETA a friend of mine had to take someone to LAX today. 1 way trip was 4 hours! EGADS.

In the age of the Internet, why do people lie about easily verifiable facts? :floorlaugh:

How long is Carmaggeddon supposed to last? I'm coming down to So. Cal the 2nd week in August. Will it be over by then??? P.S. the strip by Mulholland Drive/Westwood is always bad! A good alternative is Sepulveda Blvd.

How long is Carmaggeddon supposed to last? I'm coming down to So. Cal the 2nd week in August. Will it be over by then??? P.S. the strip by Mulholland Drive/Westwood is always bad! A good alternative is Sepulveda Blvd.

Word is the freeway will open back up before Monday morning commute at 5:00 AM. I expect to see some lingering effects for a couple days.

It's nice to hear that most people hunkered down and avoided the freeways thus far. It's not turning into the nightmare many expected. By far Friday has been the worst, with everyone trying to get in/out before construction.

it seemed like the crisis of “Carmageddon,” as it was called, might end up being averted, or at least exaggerated.

Mel

As the mayor’s helicopter circled low over the bridge, the extent of the demolition was clear and city officials said they were hopeful that construction crews would be done before the goal of 5 a.m. Monday.

You know, the rest of the world can laugh, but after living in Los Angeles for two decades I can assure you Los Angelenos are very much in on the joke of "Carmageddon."

Yet compared to drivers in NYC, in my experience, LA drivers do try to heed warnings and, when possible, avoid gridlock.

wow, much like Y2K, seems as if the catastrophic effects anticipated were greatly overestimated, lol. Glad ya'll survived Carmegedon

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back