2009.03.12 Casey Anthony Motion Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I saw a good one. Her with her right arm stretched across the table (to her side) and her facing LKB dead on, with a humor/happy face on. She was 'just tickled to be there and having a blast', moment.

After seeing that, i'm looking forward to what else they turn up.

I saw that, and a little sparkle in her eye.

A good attorney will always tell his client to dress like a Sunday School teacher. If they are smart, they will stay with today's look.

Agreed. This would be the closest to making her look like an innocent, young mother. The look she did with the jacket didn't work, the slacks and button down shirt look didn't work, I was waiting on the twinset look (this is close enough) and I guess dressing her all in white is about all they have left to run with. LOL

I really appreciate all the updates since I missed the hearing - thanks everyone.

I have a question. I see that Baez is asking for the notes from the computer forensics because they differ from the final report. How does he know that, if he doesn't have the notes?

LOL! I'm sorry. Did you ask.. aghm..

You don't really expect him to prove his statement do you? It's suppose to be taking as fact and no questions ask..

That wasn't covered in the hearing today. The motion was, but not that the report differed from the notes. Hence, he didn't have to explain how he knew that. And LKB handled hat motion. He handled the saction motion and was suprised to learn that he had to prove it. Woops! He called a witness that proved he was in error. The whole thing was nasty to watch. I mean, JB shouldn't be KC lawyer.

It's a gota see tonight Chilly.

IMO, the Baden/Baez defense strategy will be all about attacking the forensic evidence, how it was collected, how it was analyzed, and casting doubt on all the LE professionals involved in this case...today was only a hint of what we can expect to see at trial. Even before little Caylee's memorial service, I remember Linda Baden referring to a National Academy of Sciences study that was about to be published.

Well, it has been published and the defense team quickly referred to it at the time discovery was released by the SA office.
http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/021809_baez_responds_to_discovery

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20126973.500-forensic-evidence-goes-on-trial.html

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12589

Perhaps we should read up on it, because I'm sure this study will contain much of the framework for the defense strategy. It somewhat concerns me because although we have come a long way since the OJ trial, some of this can get very technical -- the prosecution must be careful to translate it clearly for the jury.

That's right. The fact that Lee was able to find 17 hairs that were not collected by evidence techs will be used to show a lack of thorough collection and bias. That theme can then be carried to other areas of the State's investigation. Ironically, the defense could argue that the State should have been as obsessively and exhaustively thorough as a Websleuther. :D

Defense has nothing to run with. She did it; she's guilty; she should cop a plea. Maybe, maybe, get out while she's still only about 60 years old.

The evidence is insurmountable. No jury will find her NG, and I doubt any juror will have any "unreasonable doubt". Stick a fork in her. She's done.

HOWEVER, everyone needs to make the bucks off Caylee, write books, etc.

One thing I believe IS important to note: LKBaden referred to a set of specific standards when she opened re: the computer forensics analyists' notes. LKB claimed that this set of standards required that the analyist keep notes.
Keep in mind that LKB may have only been seeking a simple yes, we have more, and you'll get them on X date, or a no, we have no more notes, from the SA today.

The real battle on this issue will be fought when each forensic computer analyist is being "qualified" on the stand. I wonder if the SA's witness is bound by the rules LKB was referring to...and, if so, what type of "notes" said standards actually require be kept.
:waitasec:

Do you think she [ LKB] is going to use this motion hearing, in some kind of strategy during the trial....she seemed very up at the end of hearing..

The NAS report doesn't say all forensic science is junk, but more that it can be taken to be far more exact than it is. But I agree, the plan is to attack every single technician and expert, to see if they're aware of and abide by the highest, ideal standards applicable to their work. Of course, she's gonna need her own junk scientists to help attack the state's. But oh well. Shades of OJ. It may just be me, but when you attack every single person as incompetent, it begins to lose it's effect. I also find LKB very off-putting in her manner. I doubt the SA's are quaking in their boots.

Not simply an awareness and abiding of the standards - but that the standards themselves can be scientifically problematic.

The NAS report doesn't say all forensic science is junk, but more that it can be taken to be far more exact than it is. But I agree, the plan is to attack every single technician and expert, to see if they're aware of and abide by the highest, ideal standards applicable to their work. Of course, she's gonna need her own junk scientists to help attack the state's. But oh well. Shades of OJ. It may just be me, but when you attack every single person as incompetent, it begins to lose it's effect. I also find LKB very off-putting in her manner. I doubt the SA's are quaking in their boots.

I agree. If their plan is attacking everyone and in her ..aghm.. 'pleasant' manor.. I can see the jury starting to tune her out. I mean, I can see them starting to think it was 'acceptable' in the labs and acceptable,etc. Backfiring on her.

I mean, everyone can't be a screw up.... :eek:

That's right. The fact that Lee was able to find 17 hairs that were not collected by evidence techs will be used to show a lack of thorough collection and bias. That theme can then be carried to other areas of the State's investigation. Ironically, the defense could argue that the State should have been as obsessively and exhaustively thorough as a Websleuther. :D

SA then would be able to state that if there was any evidence that LE failed to find that cleared the defendent, then Dr. Lee would have found it. Instead, he found more of the same type of evidence that LE found. <wink>

Are we surprised that they are going to make a big deal over Lee's alledged finds?? After all he did go on NG right away and make a big deal out of it.

Do you think she [ LKB] is going to use this motion hearing, in some kind of strategy during the trial....she seemed very up at the end of hearing..

I don't think it's so much that she'll use the motion hearing later, as she pretty much revealed in the hearing the strategy she intends to use to attack at trial. While I found it unappealing, and the judge didn't seem intimidated, I think she enjoyed tossing out the acronyms and scientific jargon to show she is the master of this forensic material.

Does anyone know how KC is getting these outfits for court? I heard somewhere through JB but is buying them for her?

Thanks to everyone here for the notes on the hearing on behalf of those of us who couldn't be there online. You all really captured it for us. What a team!

I don't think it's so much that she'll use the motion hearing later, as she pretty much revealed in the hearing the strategy she intends to use to attack at trial. While I found it unappealing, and the judge didn't seem intimidated, I think she enjoyed tossing out the acronyms and scientific jargon to show she is the master of this forensic material.
She is definitely "full of herself". If I needed an attorney, I would want her on my side if I was guilty. If I were innocent, wouldn't need her.

SA then would be able to state that if there was any evidence that LE failed to find that cleared the defendent, then Dr. Lee would have found it. Instead, he found more of the same type of evidence that LE found. <wink>

It's not cool at all when the State misses physical forensic evidence in a capital case.

My question is to ask if today's antics were an attempt by JB to play towards the appeal strategy?

If there is an appeal based on incompetance it won't be because JB was acting :crazy:

Now if you mean because of his whining on not being allowed to be involved on all aspects of the states case then I doubt it.

:floorlaugh:You make him sound like a case of the flu!:floorlaugh:

There are more things you can catch besides the flu :eek: ;)

One thing I believe IS important to note: LKBaden referred to a set of specific standards when she opened re: the computer forensics analyists' notes. LKB claimed that this set of standards required that the analyist keep notes.
Keep in mind that LKB may have only been seeking a simple yes, we have more, and you'll get them on X date, or a no, we have no more notes, from the SA today.

The real battle on this issue will be fought when each forensic computer analyist is being "qualified" on the stand. I wonder if the SA's witness is bound by the rules LKB was referring to...and, if so, what type of "notes" said standards actually require be kept.
:waitasec:

I am studying to become a forensics investigator and there are differing methods of information retention--1 thing we all had to have was a notebook to keep notes in but there is also paperwork to make notations on.

So say I work for a police dept--I'm called out to a scene--I can(not required to)take notes on what I observe in my own personal notebook--The PD CSI lab has official paperwork to make notes on but that generally happens after return to lab and is based on photographs and sketches from the scene as well as personal observations.

Now when I get back to the lab and start processing the evidence it will be logged onto official paperwork((ie: signed evidence bag 0021713/aa out of holding,,removed blue shirt from evidence bag 0021713/aa,,blue shirt from evidence bag 0021713/aa determined to be made by Hanes RN#17730,,stain observed on front top left shoulder area,,small section of area removed shirt contained in evidence bag 0021713/aa and preserved in vial number 0021713/aa/1,,preserved section in vial number 0021713/aa/1 sent to FBI lab in Quantico for determination====and so forth and so on))

So Bloise very well could have had his own notes but the question becomes if his "own notes" are those in a personal notebook or ones on official paperwork now either way when he has finished examing an item and has made all notes pertinent to that item he is required to generate a report on that item and the report is everything that was observed and tested on the item.

So if Bloise did only the visual inspection and removed a portion of an area for testing he could only report on what he did with the evidence so the report would be incomplete until the results of the testing come back--now when the results come back..I don't know whose job it is to add it to the report((Now I have a question to ask at my next class!))

I guess with all that--Once the report is generated there is no good reason to keep the notes--because everything from the notes would have been entered into the report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail