Medicaid dentist guilty of fraud

"Nine dentists have been disciplined in connection with a Medicaid fraud case alleging they performed or billed for unnecessary dental work on poor children in North Carolina....Brandon at the age of 4 had 16 teeth drilled out and capped with stainless steel in a scam by local dentists....Patients as young as 4 years old had multiple teeth pulled and root canals performed during single appointments....At least two children received 16 pulpotomies, also known as "baby root canals," and 16 steel crowns during the same visit."

That's just hideous! No jail time, no lost licenses...they just got "reprimands" and a fine.

The article states that the Dental Board took into account that the dentists were "only doing what they were told to do" by the clinic owners in deciding to merely reprimand them. That is absolutely no defense!

Perfforming unneeded work on a patient may not be illegal, but it is highly unethical. And each and every dentist who did this was acting in an unethical manner and they surely knew that they were doing so.

So the State Dental Board doesn't cover unethical behavior?????

When I was first hired out of high school, I worked for an oral surgeon who did the same fraudulant billing. That was in 1964. It bothered me then, but I was young and desperate to keep my job, so I kept my mouth shut.

I believe it. I live in one of the poorest counties in NC. I work at an elementary school. I see kids all the time with tons of the stainless steel caps. Some of them have a mouth full of them. I've seen a few with the caps on their front teeth as well. I'm sure the dentists mentioned are just the tip of the iceburg where this fraudulant billing is concerned. It's too bad these dentists won't have their license revoked. It's not fair to other kids that will eventually end up in their chair.

I think you could make a case that this is child abuse, and go for some jail time.

I believe it. I live in one of the poorest counties in NC. I work at an elementary school. I see kids all the time with tons of the stainless steel caps. Some of them have a mouth full of them. I've seen a few with the caps on their front teeth as well. I'm sure the dentists mentioned are just the tip of the iceburg where this fraudulant billing is concerned. It's too bad these dentists won't have their license revoked. It's not fair to other kids that will eventually end up in their chair.

I believe it! I see it all the time also. I just recently took my son to the dentist to get fillings that another dentist said he needed, only to have her say that he only had one tiny cavity and they were just going to put sealant on it because it was a baby tooth. Same thing happened to my friend...the dentist that claimed they needed lots of work is no longer in that office, thank God.

I have never heard of such a thing! Does this happen in poor areas only or what? Don't the parents know any better?

This is one that I wish Nancy Grace would take on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back