NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe that any of the local witnesses are culpable in any way. From all that has been written, however, it does seem that their stories changed over time. Most likely this was an attempt to protect themselves from the barrage of questions by media, LE and family and by the interference with their normal day-to-day lives... people traipsing across their properties, peering into their out buildings and asking why they didn't insist that the missing girl come in for a cup of tea. Unfortunately their attempt at deflection caused some to accuse them of knowing more and everything became more heated than it should have.

In parallel situation it might be conceivable that someone might "remember" a sighting down the road just to get a respite from the throngs for a few days.

I don't believe that any of the local witnesses are culpable in any way. From all that has been written, however, it does seem that their stories changed over time. Most likely this was an attempt to protect themselves from the barrage of questions by media, LE and family and by the interference with their normal day-to-day lives... people traipsing across their properties, peering into their out buildings and asking why they didn't insist that the missing girl come in for a cup of tea. Unfortunately their attempt at deflection caused some to accuse them of knowing more and everything became more heated than it should have.

In parallel situation it might be conceivable that someone might "remember" a sighting down the road just to get a respite from the throngs for a few days.

BBM
Are you suggesting the contractor made up the sighting of the person running down the road 4 or 5 miles east?

[/B]

BBM
Are you suggesting the contractor made up the sighting of the person running down the road 4 or 5 miles east?

I don't know what the contractor saw or didm't see. By all accounts he was interviewed several times in the weeks following Maura's disappearance and didn't mention a sighting. Then, almost three months later, he renders it to the shopkeeper of SSS. His alibi was checked out by LE and his property and trailer eventually searched. It's been written by some that his latent reporting of a sighting 4-5 miles down the road caused some people to believe he was complicit in the disappearance or knew someone closer to home who might have been.

I don't know what the contractor saw or didm't see. By all accounts he was interviewed several times in the weeks following Maura's disappearance and didn't mention a sighting. Then, almost three months later, he renders it to the shopkeeper of SSS. His alibi was checked out by LE and his property and trailer eventually searched. It's been written by some that his latent reporting of a sighting 4-5 miles down the road caused some people to believe he was complicit in the disappearance or knew someone closer to home who might have been.

I wonder if LE asked him to take a polygraph. He's probably innocent, but sometimes another tool can help bring out deception, just in case LE missed something.

What is SSS? Is it a local store?

I wonder if LE asked him to take a polygraph. He's probably innocent, but sometimes another tool can help bring out deception, just in case LE missed something.

What is SSS? Is it a local store?

SSS = Stage Stop store. It's on Rte 112 near the bend at French Pond Rd/Goose Lane west of the accident site.

I don't believe LE even had enough for a search warrant. They only looked through his trailer (per Mr. Renner's blog) after it was sold and being towed on the highway (under the motor vehicle act). It's doubtful LE even considered him a POI. It has been floated out there on the "cyber ether" that the contractor only came forward with the sighting of a runner 5 miles down the road after a reward was posted. Again, though, only other poster's musings. :innocent:

Billy and Sharon believe that the 7AM call (voice message) to Billy's cell phone (while he was going thru airport security) was Maura. NH LE told Mr. Renner that the call came from the Red Cross, but remember they're not under any obligation to disclose information pertaining to an ongoing investigation. Sharon says she did contact the Red Cross the night before regarding obtaining a leave for Billy to go up to NH to help in the search and she left a message to that effect. Would an office worker at the Red Cross call back at 7AM (Central time) and not leave a coherent message? Billy apparently called the number back and it was that of a long distance calling card provider, not a 1-800 type number.

If it was Maura and she was using her cell phone and one of the calling cards given to her by Sharon what might that mean? In order to place a call you have to first dial the calling card carrier's 10 digit number and enter a PIN number, and then the number you want to connect with. A lot of precision work if you're under extreme duress.

1) Might an abductor have coerced her to call her boyfriend just to taunt him and didn't allow her to speak to him?

2) Could it have been an abductor calling on the phone solo or another cell?

3) Could it have been Maura calling after a voluntary "Walk Away" decision just to muddy the waters and let people think she's been abducted?

The call was short (perhaps not traceable) and obviously somewhere there was cell coverage. Is it possible that comm. techs have been able to triangulate an area where the call originated? Or was it, as offered, just a Red Cross worker before a morning cup of java?

I don't believe LE even had enough for a search warrant. They only looked through his trailer (per Mr. Renner's blog) after it was sold and being towed on the highway (under the motor vehicle act). It's doubtful LE even considered him a POI. It has been floated out there on the "cyber ether" that the contractor only came forward with the sighting of a runner 5 miles down the road after a reward was posted. Again, though, only other poster's musings. :innocent:

I disagree. He was most likley a POI at the time. Anyone who injects themselves into a criminal investigation can become a POI. If they didn't have enough for a search warrant, then were they just being thorough by looking for and utilizing a legal loophole to search it anyway? I speculate that it was probably limited to a visual search of the interior while it was parked on the highway, unless they brought the Major Crime Unit mobile forensic vehicle or cadaver dogs to the scene. Either way it doesn't matter because RF had no involvement in MM's disappearance.

Lots of interesting comments on JR's blog to his many posts... interesting to see if anyone there has come up with anything knew.
One thing I've never heard mentioned - has anyone ever tried to make the trip she did with a Saturn running just on three cylinders? - Wonder what that would be like, and what kind of gas mileage one would get. Perhaps more stops for gas than would be expected; exposing her to scrutiny by undesirables..

I think LE thought that he could have possibly been involved with her disappearance, because he lived right next to where the dogs lost her scent in the road. Meaning, they made sure they got a look inside that trailer, because they didn't have any evidence against him to get a warrant when he was living in the trailer on his property. Ask yourself, how did LE know he was moving? They had to have been keeping tabs on him. Let's face it, he could have come forward with the story of her running 4 or 5 miles up the road to place her away from the area where the dogs lost her scent, which was right next to his property. I'm sure LE thought of this possibility too, so they did there best to check it out, even though they had constitutional limits.

Billy and Sharon believe that the 7AM call (voice message) to Billy's cell phone (while he was going thru airport security) was Maura. NH LE told Mr. Renner that the call came from the Red Cross, but remember they're not under any obligation to disclose information pertaining to an ongoing investigation. Sharon says she did contact the Red Cross the night before regarding obtaining a leave for Billy to go up to NH to help in the search and she left a message to that effect. Would an office worker at the Red Cross call back at 7AM (Central time) and not leave a coherent message? Billy apparently called the number back and it was that of a long distance calling card provider, not a 1-800 type number.

If it was Maura and she was using her cell phone and one of the calling cards given to her by Sharon what might that mean? In order to place a call you have to first dial the calling card carrier's 10 digit number and enter a PIN number, and then the number you want to connect with. A lot of precision work if you're under extreme duress.

1) Might an abductor have coerced her to call her boyfriend just to taunt him and didn't allow her to speak to him?

2) Could it have been an abductor calling on the phone solo or another cell?

3) Could it have been Maura calling after a voluntary "Walk Away" decision just to muddy the waters and let people think she's been abducted?

The call was short (perhaps not traceable) and obviously somewhere there was cell coverage. Is it possible that comm. techs have been able to triangulate an area where the call originated? Or was it, as offered, just a Red Cross worker before a morning cup of java?

IIRC, LE said it just sounded like a bunch of static, which was the reason they disregarded it, especially after discovering it was a Red Cross calling card. I do think there is that slight possibility it was Maura. She could have tried using the calling card after fruitless results with her cell phone. I wonder if she ever came upon an outdoor landline phone in a camp or on the outside of a building on her run up Rt.112 or 116. It would have taken her hours to get to town, if she ran up Rt. 112. She could have been hypothermic and couldn't speak. I doubt she was at someone's house if it was her. If she was in danger and had access to a phone, why not call 911? Also, why use a calling card? Why not just call Billy's number or 911 directly?

Has the phone call to the B.F. on Feb. 11th, 2004 approx. 11:27AM been absolutely dismissed as a fluke?

I have that date and time still in my notes for this case.

The b.f. and his mother were on TV and I heard them give this approx. time that he was going through security.
He said, he heard what sounded like her muffled sobs...

note:Unscripted or McSpy: I see you posted also on this phone call above. I had not seen your post until after I posted, but you say, 7AM and I wrote down 11:27AM.
Where did you get that time of day from?.......

Has James Renner been able to confirm the exact time of that phone call?

thanks.

The reference to the Feb. 11, 2004 7am voice message came from the Disappeared episode. Part 4/5 (on YouTube) about 1 minute 25 seconds into the segment. SR and BR explain their take on the message.

Renner was told by LE that it was the Red Cross but LE is under no obligation to disclose the details in this investigation.

The reference to the Feb. 11, 2004 7am voice message came from the Disappeared episode. Part 4/5 (on YouTube) about 1 minute 25 seconds into the segment. SR and BR explain their take on the message.

Renner was told by LE that it was the Red Cross but LE is under no obligation to disclose the details in this investigation.

I wonder if J.Renner would chime in and let us know if he himself verified with the b.f. that it was this time and not 11:27AM which is what I recalled the B.F. or his mother saying on TV many years ago when asked by an interviewer , that he walked through that security place in the airport. Closer to noon.

A lot has happened in my life between then and now, so I may well be wrong in the recollection of it, but i did at the time, made a point to jot down the timeframe because of my own interest then in studying the event more closely

J.Renner?? Verification please.

I wonder if J.Renner would chime in and let us know if he himself verified with the b.f. that it was this time and not 11:27AM which is what I recalled the B.F. or his mother saying on TV many years ago when asked by an interviewer , that he walked through that security place in the airport. Closer to noon.

Here's the direct link to what Mr. Renner reported about the February 11th call to BR's cell:

http://mauramurray.blogspot.com/2011/07/exclusive-phone-call-was-not-maura.html

Maybe you can email Mr. Renner privately to see if he spoke with BR directly, but it doesn't sound as if he did.

Just repeating myself here - sorry...
Wow! Most interesting info! You are making progress James!
Always amazed how in retrospect the cost of helping someone in trouble and/or prior to their going missing or something happening to them is a pittance to what their families then spend on searching and lamenting over a loved one....
Oldsteve

Has the phone call to the B.F. on Feb. 11th, 2004 approx. 11:27AM been absolutely dismissed as a fluke?

I have that date and time still in my notes for this case.

The b.f. and his mother were on TV and I heard them give this approx. time that he was going through security.
He said, he heard what sounded like her muffled sobs...

note:Unscripted or McSpy: I see you posted also on this phone call above. I had not seen your post until after I posted, but you say, 7AM and I wrote down 11:27AM.
Where did you get that time of day from?.......

Has James Renner been able to confirm the exact time of that phone call?

thanks.

Now when I have taken time to think about this a little more, I could have sworn LE tracked down the actual person, who made that call. However, it is such a vague recollection that I have no idea where I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member