Travis Alexander and Jodi Arias - What do you believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Chanler and nobodyzgirl, interesting posts. Good point Chanler about Canadians accessing US websites for case info, lol. Ban what ban? The photo's of an injured/dying Travis ... How do you think they were taken by accident?

After reading about "eternal progression" and her comment about preferring the DP to Life ... I think you nailed it. She does not fear death.

Hi, Knox, you and nobodyzgirl are gems.

The possibility that the pictures of dying Travis were taken inadvertently was raised indirectly by Jodi herself. She said that the police told her the last pictures of Travis were taken at floor level. I believe that it was also stated by the police (?) that the photos were also indistinct and difficult to read. I think that such pictures might be taken accidentally during such a volatile incident. I would imagine that "trophy pictures" will be taken from normal eye level and that the camera would then be packed away. All this is hypothesis, but to me at least, it seems reasonable with what we now know.

Hi, Knox, you and nobodyzgirl are gems.

The possibility that the pictures of dying Travis were taken inadvertently was raised indirectly by Jodi herself. She said that the police told her the last pictures of Travis were taken at floor level. I believe that it was also stated by the police (?) that the photos were also indistinct and difficult to read. I think that such pictures might be taken accidentally during such a volatile incident. I would imagine that "trophy pictures" will be taken from normal eye level and that the camera would then be packed away. All this is hypothesis, but to me at least, it seems reasonable with what we now know.

I wonder if it's possible for Travis to have taken the photos himself? Perhaps if he was very wounded, he maybe could have reached the camera that was for whatever reason on the floor and tried to snap photos? Jodi herself said he was on his hands and knees, she said his legs didn't work, but she didn't say his arms didn't work?

I guess that sounds pretty far fetched. If the photos were "trophy photos" I would think that person would have taken the whole camera or media card with them.

Sorry for rambling on... :blowkiss:

Thanks Chanler and nobodyzgirl, interesting posts. Good point Chanler about Canadians accessing US websites for case info, lol. Ban what ban? The photo's of an injured/dying Travis ... How do you think they were taken by accident?

After reading about "eternal progression" and her comment about preferring the DP to Life ... I think you nailed it. She does not fear death.

That's why I think a life sentence would be better for her than the death penalty, because then she can live the remainder of her life behind bars and suffer the consequences. The DP is too easy, especially because she says she does not fear death.

I wonder if it's possible for Travis to have taken the photos himself? Perhaps if he was very wounded, he maybe could have reached the camera that was for whatever reason on the floor and tried to snap photos? Jodi herself said he was on his hands and knees, she said his legs didn't work, but she didn't say his arms didn't work?

I guess that sounds pretty far fetched. If the photos were "trophy photos" I would think that person would have taken the whole camera or media card with them.

Sorry for rambling on... :blowkiss:

Hi, Boyzmum. Actually, your suggestion strikes me as a reasonable possibility. Poor Travis probably bled to death, not usually a quick process, and it's quite possible that conscious or partially conscious, he reached for whatever was around him. Perhaps in his condition, he imagined in a hopeful moment that the metallic camera was a small phone or camera phone; perhaps he was just thrashing around. Or perhaps, the weight of his body while he was being dragged against his will activated the lever.

In any case, it was a ghoulish crime that I would not wish on any one I have ever met.

I don't know if you have seen this article or not though there is some mention about the pictures taken, and the fact that she originally said she had not seen Travis since April. I was reading another article and watched a video this morning about the discrepancies in two separate interviews that she gave. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it and will post a link to that. Hopefully the link works.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/125240

Here is the article and video that mentions the different details she gives during two separate interviews.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/homepa...308-arias-inside-edition-new-in.a702ed84.html

Wow! Thanks so much, nobodyzgirl. The discrepancies are significant, but it's even more significant that she didn't even give the Mesa police her back-up story. I had assumed that her bogus account of the two intruders was crudely cut-and-pasted together while she was being interrogated by police. Obviously, it took her some private time in her cell to come up with this version.

The prison interview shows how much she is still very much running her own show. No astute defendant would first release a story that could later endanger her to news media, much less a tabloid TV show. Perhaps money was a factor here.

I also thought that it was telling that she voiced confidence at the end of the interview that her actions would not by judged negatively by God.

Watched the raw video interview on azfamily.com link you provided nobodyzgirl. Came away with some new perspectives;
  • Travis did not have a public relationship with Jodi, nor did he want one. They traveled out of town or were together at his home. Jodi made a comment about Travis' friends, a reporter asked her, did his friends not like you? " Ummm I think it was more that they were concerned about his future, marriage and how important marriage was to his spiritual development". Travis minimized his involvement with Jodi to his friends; She's not wife material, I'm just having fun, friends with benefits, I'd never be serious with her. Jodi probably realized this, hence the conversion to Morman religion. She felt this would make her wife material, a good girl, respectable, acceptable to those he would not take her around.
  • When asked why they broke up and became just friends, she stated "there was a breach of trust on both our parts". After that they did not date per say, just hung out. It was hard to fully move on because they spent too much time together. Was there jealousy after that. Not on her part, she states "jealously no, insecurity yes". Travis was sometime jealous of her though and she took it as a compliment.
  • She was asked if Travis was an uplifting person to be around? " Yes, he was very uplifting, he knew every one of my buttons, he could bring me up or down at the drop of a hat". I thought this was interesting insight and was very suprised she stated those words on camera. I think he did push the wrong button and LE will use those words against her at trial. I still think taking another girl on that cruise played a part in all this. She came down to AZ with the thought that he would change his mind and take her instead.
  • She was asked about the nude photos and went into a little detail about taking them in "private". Shots were taken not just with a camera, but other media was used (took that to mean video's). She said "we deleted them when we were done using them". Huh? Using them for what?
  • Lastly she was asked if she were afraid of Travis a couple of times and said "Ummm I'll pass on that question". Did he ever threaten to harm you? Same answer. It crossed my mind that he may have threatened her ... if she did not leave him alone!

Watched the raw video interview on azfamily.com link you provided nobodyzgirl. Came away with some new perspectives;
  • Travis did not have a public relationship with Jodi, nor did he want one. They traveled out of town or were together at his home. Jodi made a comment about Travis' friends, a reporter asked her, did his friends not like you? " Ummm I think it was more that they were concerned about his future, marriage and how important marriage was to his spiritual development". Travis minimized his involvement with Jodi to his friends; She's not wife material, I'm just having fun, friends with benefits, I'd never be serious with her. Jodi probably realized this, hence the conversion to Morman religion. She felt this would make her wife material, a good girl, respectable, acceptable to those he would not take her around.
  • When asked why they broke up and became just friends, she stated "there was a breach of trust on both our parts". After that they did not date per say, just hung out. It was hard to fully move on because they spent too much time together. Was there jealousy after that. Not on her part, she states "jealously no, insecurity yes". Travis was sometime jealous of her though and she took it as a compliment.
  • She was asked if Travis was an uplifting person to be around? " Yes, he was very uplifting, he knew every one of my buttons, he could bring me up or down at the drop of a hat". I thought this was interesting insight and was very suprised she stated those words on camera. I think he did push the wrong button and LE will use those words against her at trial. I still think taking another girl on that cruise played a part in all this. She came down to AZ with the thought that he would change his mind and take her instead.
  • She was asked about the nude photos and went into a little detail about taking them in "private". Shots were taken not just with a camera, but other media was used (took that to mean video's). She said "we deleted them when we were done using them". Huh? Using them for what?
  • Lastly she was asked if she were afraid of Travis a couple of times and said "Ummm I'll pass on that question". Did he ever threaten to harm you? Same answer. It crossed my mind that he may have threatened her ... if she did not leave him alone!

If Travis did not take Jodi out in "public", nor was she his idea of "wife material", then can we think she was just a "booty call"? Or was she more than that? Was she addictive (sexually), as I think I heard on the 48 Hours show?

I don't think that Travis threatened her, I can't say he didn't abuse the friendship (it sounds like he played with her mind?). Someone mentioned it earlier, but it sounds reasonable that he "played her" and later I commented I felt Jodi was playing for keeps.

As I've been thinking on the case, and commenting how "odd" I think Jodi is, I am really wondering if there is an underlying mental condition, or if she's slicker than a wet raincoat? She's got me completely puzzled. :confused:

O/T - I just wanted to wish you all a very Happy 4th of July!

Jodi's non-comment about whether she was afraid of Travis, makes me think that she wants people to believe that he was abusive to her so that she looks like a victim, and therefore killed him in self-defence, though if she was going to use that strategy, I guess she would have already said that. Then again, she keeps changing the story, so it may still happen. I found her comment about obsession strange, when they asked if she was obsessed with him, and she said no, then she goes on to say that Travis would continually call or text until she either answered the call or returned his message, and she didn't find that obsessive at all - she seems to enjoy that type of attention from men, though part of me thinks that she made that up also, to make it look like he wanted to be with her, and she didn't want to be with him. My impression is she loved the idea (which I think was imagined) that Travis was infatuated with her. It does seem like he was playing her and using her, though it's not justified to be murdered.

As for your question, Boyz Mum, my opinion is she is slicker than a wet raincoat. She really doesn't seem upset about dying and really believes that she won't be judged by God. She is an odd duck that's for sure, though she's not very bright, because a lot of what she says in the interview seems to be very incriminating and she doesn't seem to realize that - it's like she's living in a fantasy world.

I don't even want to know what they were using the nude pictures for, there is definitely more to their relationship than meets the eye that's for sure. I'm sure because they were Mormon's they kept that part of their life very quiet and secret so that no one would frown on their personal relationship.

If Travis did not take Jodi out in "public", nor was she his idea of "wife material", then can we think she was just a "booty call"? Or was she more than that? Was she addictive (sexually), as I think I heard on the 48 Hours show?

I don't think that Travis threatened her, I can't say he didn't abuse the friendship (it sounds like he played with her mind?). Someone mentioned it earlier, but it sounds reasonable that he "played her" and later I commented I felt Jodi was playing for keeps.

As I've been thinking on the case, and commenting how "odd" I think Jodi is, I am really wondering if there is an underlying mental condition, or if she's slicker than a wet raincoat? She's got me completely puzzled. :confused:

Boyz_Mum ... Slicker than a wet raincoat, I giggled, good one!

Or was she more than that? Was she addictive ...
I think to a young man who was said to be a virgin well into his twenties and associated primarily with girls from his faith, the answer is yes.

I don't think that Travis threatened her ...
I don't think he threatened her with physical harm either, I thought she was setting herself up for a defense strategy down the road. It was the only question she declined to answer in the entire interview, granted they were pretty easy on her though in what they asked, no hardball. My comment was meant to be sarcastic in the other post.

She's got me completely puzzled.
That is what she is trying to accomplish, I don't think she ever thought she would be a suspect (Who me?!!! I was in Utah and California). As pointed out, her story changed and evolved to suit the details of Travis' murder as she became aware of the details of the crime.

Jodi's non-comment about whether she was afraid of Travis, makes me think that she wants people to believe that he was abusive to her so that she looks like a victim, and therefore killed him in self-defence, though if she was going to use that strategy, I guess she would have already said that. Then again, she keeps changing the story, so it may still happen. I found her comment about obsession strange, when they asked if she was obsessed with him, and she said no, then she goes on to say that Travis would continually call or text until she either answered the call or returned his message, and she didn't find that obsessive at all - she seems to enjoy that type of attention from men, though part of me thinks that she made that up also, to make it look like he wanted to be with her, and she didn't want to be with him. My impression is she loved the idea (which I think was imagined) that Travis was infatuated with her. It does seem like he was playing her and using her, though it's not justified to be murdered.

As for your question, Boyz Mum, my opinion is she is slicker than a wet raincoat. She really doesn't seem upset about dying and really believes that she won't be judged by God. She is an odd duck that's for sure, though she's not very bright, because a lot of what she says in the interview seems to be very incriminating and she doesn't seem to realize that - it's like she's living in a fantasy world.

I don't even want to know what they were using the nude pictures for, there is definitely more to their relationship than meets the eye that's for sure. I'm sure because they were Mormon's they kept that part of their life very quiet and secret so that no one would frown on their personal relationship.

Yes, Happy Fourth of July to Everyone :usa:
I posted to boys_mum before I read your post nobodyzgirl, sorry :)
I agree with you 100%!!!
What is the Canadian equivalent of July 4th?

I really think it would be enlightening to be able to hear from Jodi's family. (I wouldn't mind knowing what's in her psych evaluation either! :))

I know I'm stuck on her behavior and how odd I think she is, I'm sorry I keep bringing it up. When you all think back on all the interviews you've seen on 48 Hours or this type show, can you think of anyone else that struck you the same way as Jodi? Charles Manson was one that reminded me of Jodi (with the twinkly eye answers and the all around creepiness), I remember a case where the husband was to have allegedly murdered his wife after her Christmas Party (he was eventually freed, which blew my mind), his name was Jeff something (I think), and he was really weird (IMO). I thought that Darlie Routier was rather odd, but even she didn't strike me like Jodi's behavior/attitude has. Is Jodi a sociopath or is there some "category of mental illness" that any of you think she falls into?

Love all your opinions here. Again, I'm sorry I am so caught up in Jodi's demeanor. (I hope none of my boys ever date a girl like her! :eek:)

Have a safe and fun holiday weekend! :blowkiss:

I really think it would be enlightening to be able to hear from Jodi's family. (I wouldn't mind knowing what's in her psych evaluation either! :))

I know I'm stuck on her behavior and how odd I think she is, I'm sorry I keep bringing it up. When you all think back on all the interviews you've seen on 48 Hours or this type show, can you think of anyone else that struck you the same way as Jodi? Charles Manson was one that reminded me of Jodi (with the twinkly eye answers and the all around creepiness), I remember a case where the husband was to have allegedly murdered his wife after her Christmas Party (he was eventually freed, which blew my mind), his name was Jeff something (I think), and he was really weird (IMO). I thought that Darlie Routier was rather odd, but even she didn't strike me like Jodi's behavior/attitude has. Is Jodi a sociopath or is there some "category of mental illness" that any of you think she falls into?

Love all your opinions here. Again, I'm sorry I am so caught up in Jodi's demeanor. (I hope none of my boys ever date a girl like her! :eek:)

Have a safe and fun holiday weekend! :blowkiss:
It appears her family does support her from comments I have read on MS. Just not in the way C&GA support CA. I anticipate we will see and hear from them next year when the trial begins.

I don't think you are stuck on her odd demeanor is it ODD! I remember the case you are talking about, they re-ran it couple of weeks ago. You nailed it, his and Jodi's way of speaking are alike. He was very flat, devoid of emotion and as I recall cut up the bed frame and burned it in the fireplace?! Then took all of her clothing and personal articles out of the house within days of her murder. Initally, their kids supported him, but after the trial no longer speak to him and are convinced of his guilt. I think LE has more evidence which has not been revealed in the Arias case, whatever defense they put together for her IMO will not net her an acquital.

Hi, Knox, great post. On separate points:
  • I think that there were several issues. Travis wasn't just a Mormon; he was a charismatic Mormon motivational pitchman whose squeaky clean image was a central part of his commercial appeal, especially in fundamentalist communities, and most especially in Mormon-dominated Mesa and Utah. Jodi didn't fit into this world view: She is Hispanic, definitely something people notice in Mesa, and her informal, sometimes downright sexy style doesn't fit center street Mormon courting patterns. (If you don't believe me, spend an hour or two walking around the Brigham Young campus.) Their public displays of affection, particularly on Jodi's part, would rub family-minded LDS families the wrong way. Jodi wanted to be seen as Travis' girlfriend and Travis had multiple reasons to downplay their relationship, including his own impulse to play the field.
  • Their relationship was erotically charged. Travis' allusion to her hotness factor on her MySpace shows that the attraction was intense both ways. (That entry, by the way, was, I think, made just a few months before his murder.) It's easy to see that Jodi didn't fit into more straight-laced Mormon (or just fundamentalist) "court, marry, then have sex" patterns, but it's probably true that Travis, despite his public image, didn't either. He didn't grow up in the average middle-class Mormon family; his life experiences made him in some ways an outsider too.
  • Jodi knew that her most alluring aspect was her sexuality; like most hormone-driven boys, Travis just kept coming back for more, whatever he told her, himself, or his friends. Even on the last day, with a gun probably stashed in her purse, she and Travis were lovers. The problem, of course, was what happened after sex. The pictures and videos were not only erotic stimulants; they were devices to keep the romance alive.
  • The non-answer to the question about Travis being dangerous might be a preview for her next alibi change: Perhaps now Travis became jealous because she was on her way to see another man and attacked her and she responded desperately.

All true Chanler ... Remember Skye's words in that interview. Something to the effect of Jodi's inappropriate gestures made to Travis in front of them. Chaste behavior (single or married) is a Mormon hallmark. Jodi strived to resemble that hallmark in the interviews she gave, but it's all an act.

Fireworks and too much food are beckoning ...BBL

And a happy 4th to you as well!

As you can see from my note above, which I wrote before I saw yours, I think that a self-defense alibi might be in the offing.

I have never seen anyone show support like C&GA, when their daughter is clearly guilty, in my opinion. It will be interesting when the trial starts, if they are there to show their support or not. I know when Bernardo was on trial, his family was not there, nor did they ever speak to the press about him.

I agree, her demeanour is odd, and she seems very void of any emotion at all. The press conference at the jail, wasn't taken that much after the murder, and she certainly doesn't seem upset that Travis is gone and like you said, every so often you would see a certain twinkle in her eye. She strikes me as a sociopath. I would be interested to see and know what kind of a childhood she had, not that it gives her the excuse to do what she did, though it would be interesting to see how she grew up. It sounds from the LE that they have a lot more evidence on her then the general public knows, and I can't see any defence getting her an acquittal either, she doesn't have the type of personality, where you actually feel sorry for her, or could believe half of what is coming out of her mouth.

I'm not sure what other case you are referring to about the husband killing his wife, though I will definitely be doing some research to find out! LOL

In answer to your question Chanler, we celebrate July 1 - which is Canada's birthday.

All true Chanler ... Remember Skye's words in that interview. Something to the effect of Jodi's inappropriate gestures made to Travis in front of them. Chaste behavior (single or married) is a Mormon hallmark. Jodi strived to resemble that hallmark in the interviews she gave, but it's all an act.

Fireworks and too much food are beckoning ...BBL

Hi, Knox. You're so right about Mormon behavior. I live in New York and often attended dance concerts, especially in past years. Decades ago, I attended a concert given in the LDS headquarters across from Lincoln Center. I was struck by how conservatively both the audience and the dancers were attired; the latter even wore ankle and wrist-length leotards throughout the concert, which actually diminished the sense of the choreography.

I tend to think that Jodi's demeanor is a construction, but not a fake. I think that she approaches everything in a detached quasi-spiritual way. She probably thinks of her homicide as a Samurai execution.

I notice that in addition to topics like "water crystals", "massage," and "telepathy," she lists both "conspiracy theories" and "coast to coast am" in her blogger list of interests. (The latter is a radio network devoted to paranormal and secret history subjects.) Reading that reminds me that in the sixties, I knew a few similar spacey women in college, one of whom looked surprisingly like Jodi. And it also reminded me of what an old classmate of mine told me recently at an informal reunion: "The craziest parts of the Sixties just moved west."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle