ARUBA - Robyn Gardner, 35, Maryland woman missing in Aruba, 2 Aug 2011 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
A larger amount than the insurance policy was for? If so, how can he possibly do that?

Just a guess, perhaps the larger amount is for accidental death (double indemnity policy?) Not sure if American Express offers this.

Death due to natural causes would be paid at the lower amount?

Article about labor and sex trafficking issues in Aruba.

Aruba’s Jeannette Richardson-Baars Received TIP Hero Honors

Aruba’s Head of the Division for Police Education & Development and National Coordinator Anti Human Trafficking & Smuggling, Jeannette Richardson-Baars was honored by U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for her extraordinary commitment to uncovering human trafficking cases, her innovative strategy to raise public awareness in spite of limited resources, and a proactive approach to providing protection services to victims in Aruba.*

<snip>

Read more here:

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/c...elease 2012/Press Release TIP Report 2012.pdf

Trafficking in Persons Report 2012

http://www.state.gov/j/tip/rls/tiprpt/2012/index.htm

there are some posters who "thank" every post in a thread to know where they've left off reading... so it seems there are a few other reasons posts get thanked other than just "the obvious"...

I have to say that for myself there are various reasons that I "thank" posters. For the most part it is because I agree with at least a part of, if not all, of their post. There are also those times that I thank them for taking the time to respond to my post. And especially for bringing in new thoughts, insights and ideas on issues that are interesting and relevant to the forum, which encourages me to look at a case from more than one point of view. I very much appreciate posts that make me think, and rethink, then rethink again.

And just because I don't post a "thanks" doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the post. I almost always do, as it's all our posts that make these forums what they are, whether in agreement or not. Challenging, interesting, fascinating, mentally stimulating....

How are you so certain Robyn was not intoxicated? She might have not appeared intoxicated on the short clip of the video, however, staff at the restaurant described her as "woozy." Giordano's admittance of her taking an Ambien that afternoon, followed by drinking alcohol could impair judgment and is all the more reason to not go snorkeling. That is suspicious in itself. IMO, the words of a witness hold more weight than opinion based on a short video clip.

Death as a result of suspicious circumstances is a valid reason for an insurance company to contest a life insurance claim.

If it is determined Robyn was intoxicated (based on witness accounts,) could Giordano be charged with kidnapping under the law?

TJ Ward
NANCY GRACE

Aruban authorities continue to work to drain a pond they think may have clues to Natalee Holloway`s disappearance
Aired July 27, 2005 - 20:00:00 ET

<snip>

WARD: ... And I am very surprised that law enforcement, at this point in time, has not charged Van Der Sloot with at least kidnapping under Aruban law because...

GRACE: Why do you say that?

WARD: Because the Aruban law says if you leave the bar intoxicated with somebody, and that other party becomes up missing, then you can be charged with kidnapping.

<snip>
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0507/27/ng.01.html

Witnesses can be wrong etc etc. Video however is not, there is no ambiguity about it. She clearly is not intoxicated in the footage we have seen. That is not to say that she didn't have something to drink or whatever, but that is not the same as intoxication. If you are presenting something to a jury or a judge, what they can see with their own eyes is allways going to override what someone vaguely remembers happened a few years ago.

The "woozy" comment might just be a reflection of her demeanor, nothing else.

Yes, since they weren't investigating it as anything other than an accidental drowning, I doubt they even checked the car. Also, if GG did do anything to Robyn in the car, he surely would have cleaned it already anyway. I'm coming to the belief that whatever happened, whatever it was, didn't happen in the car.

If she got swept out to sea and drowned, it obviously didn't happen in the car. So there would be nothing to find, and, when they looked, they found nothing.

If he killed her in the car there would be evidence of that for sure. If he transported a body in the car, there would probably be evidence of that. The car was cleaned after he returned it, but the sort of cleaning rentals do would not be anywhere near as thorough as would be required to completely sanitise it. They didn't find anything, so the car was not involved. Them saying that the car was cleaned was just another way of saying that they didn't find evidence of foul play they hoped they would find, probably because there never was any. But they could hardly say it that way if they wanted to keep holding him.

Witnesses can be wrong etc etc. Video however is not, there is no ambiguity about it. She clearly is not intoxicated in the footage we have seen. That is not to say that she didn't have something to drink or whatever, but that is not the same as intoxication. If you are presenting something to a jury or a judge, what they can see with their own eyes is allways going to override what someone vaguely remembers happened a few years ago.

The "woozy" comment might just be a reflection of her demeanor, nothing else.

Demeanor refers to the conduct in which one presents oneself. The way one presents oneself affects how others judge you. Witnesses said Robyn presented herself as "woozy." Her demeanor reflected the situation she was in. The situation being Robyn not only had a drink(s), but also had taken Ambien, as admitted by Giordano. Being woozy indicates an impairment. Bottom line, a person who appears woozy should not be snorkeling.

I hope there is a clause within the policy disallowing payment on a claim where suspicious circumstances are present.

Hi Sapphire,

I think their is a clause in "All" AMEX policies disallowing payment to anyone that has EVER worn a JACALOPE mask outside of any woman's house. I think that pretty much discounts Gary Giordano from collecting. Wearing one of those is a sure sign of some mental health issues.

On another note: the claim must be filed within 365 days of the (accident, death, disappearance ) of the insured . So I wonder if it is a sign that GG has nothing to hide and has every intent of collecting on his complete innocence of any involvement in her demise. Wouldn't' you think this would open up "all the questions and review of the circumstances" surrounding Robyn's disappearance?

Now I know GG is crazy as a loon, but this may be his way of saying "bring it on" I had nothing to do with her demise.

Just another thought on the matter....God, please don't think I am defending him, only his right to pursue this suit and all the ramifications it brings with it.:moo:

....and it so good to see many of my favorite websleuths still here.:thumb:

Well, he seems like the kind of guy who would work all the angles, so he wouldn't give up a free pot of gold like that when the opportunity presented itself. I don't think it indicates guilt or anything like that, but why not take the money if he was entitled to it. If she did in fact get swept out and drowned as he said, then he will probably be pretty upset by the way he has been treated and would see it as what he is entitled to. After all, he was the guy who had to sit in an Aruban prison for a couple of months.

Demeanor refers to the conduct in which one presents oneself. The way one presents oneself affects how others judge you. Witnesses said Robyn presented herself as "woozy." Her demeanor reflected the situation she was in. The situation being Robyn not only had a drink(s), but also had taken Ambien, as admitted by Giordano. Being woozy indicates an impairment. Bottom line, a person who appears woozy should not be snorkeling.

I know women who appear "woozy" most of the time (you know, the high maintenance types). It is just their demeanor, they are not drunk or high.

If you are drunk or otherwise incapacitated you will have troubled walking, be stumbling or behave in a generally lethargic or uncoordinated manner. The video showed her doing nothing of the sort, so she was not intoxicated. The visual evidence that you can see for yourself speaks for itself.

Ask yourself this, if she appeared "woozy" (but not intoxicated to the point of creating a disturbance), why would anyone notice or care enough about what a random stranger was doing to be able to remember that days or weeks later? Obviously this is a memory that was being created in their minds after the fact so they can create their 15 minutes. No one can prove them wrong, so they can say whatever they like about that. I would find their testimony more credible if she was not some random stranger, but someone they knew, or if she was creating an obvious disturbance such as stumbling over chairs or something like that. But they didn't know her from a bar of soap and she was behaving normally. So why should I believe them?

Me - I go by what I see for myself, and it is clear from the video IMO that she was fine at the restuarant and when she left.

I know women who appear "woozy" most of the time (you know, the high maintenance types). It is just their demeanor, they are not drunk or high.

If you are drunk or otherwise incapacitated you will have troubled walking, be stumbling or behave in a generally lethargic or uncoordinated manner. The video showed her doing nothing of the sort, so she was not intoxicated. The visual evidence that you can see for yourself speaks for itself.

Ask yourself this, if she appeared "woozy" (but not intoxicated to the point of creating a disturbance), why would anyone notice or care enough about what a random stranger was doing to be able to remember that days or weeks later? Obviously this is a memory that was being created in their minds after the fact so they can create their 15 minutes. No one can prove them wrong, so they can say whatever they like about that. I would find their testimony more credible if she was not some random stranger, but someone they knew, or if she was creating an obvious disturbance such as stumbling over chairs or something like that. But they didn't know her from a bar of soap and she was behaving normally. So why should I believe them?

Me - I go by what I see for myself, and it is clear from the video IMO that she was fine at the restuarant and when she left.

And in that video,did it look like she was about to go snorkeling?
Did you notice her extensive make up, her hair extensions which had been curled nicely, and her pretty dress?
Did she look to you like she was about to walk out to the beach to go snorkeling?

It was very late in the afternoon for snorkeling. Nobody else was out in the water snorkeling there, and for good reason---YOU CANNOT SEE MUCH WHEN THE SUN IS AT THAT ANGLE SO LATE IN THE AFTERNOON.

Snorkeling is best when the sun is high overhead and the rays can pierce the water.

PS: THEY HAD BEEN DRINKING ALL DAY.

First off, I know several "high maintenance" women and none of them ever appear woozy. Either your judgement is off or they are using something without your knowledge of it.

IMO, a person who had taken Ambien that afternoon, followed by drinking alcohol would be in no condition to go snorkeling. Furthermore, two hours were uncounted for from the time Robyn and Giordano were seen leaving the restaurant, until he called for help. Her condition could have deteriorated further during that period of time. If Robyn went missing during snorkeling, the combination of drugs and alcohol could have played a part, IMO. To me, it's very suspicious that a person would even suggest taking somebody snorkeling knowing drugs and alcohol were used.

Another suspicious circumstance.....

Robyn was "not a random stranger" to her friends and family. They would know her best. Several of them indicated Robyn would never go snorkeling. Her brother, Andrew Colson said, "She just wouldn't want to ruin her makeup or get her hair wet." Her boyfriend, Richard Forester said, "Robyn was unwilling to even put her head below the water in a pool, lest it ruin her hair." Her friend and hairdresser, Christina Jones, said "Robyn was careful about getting wet, and is not one to snorkel as Giordano says she did." In addition, a restaurant worker (a stranger to Robyn) said he thought it was odd to hear that the couple went snorkeling because Gardner "seemed so perfectly put together," referring to her clothing, hair and make-up.

Additional suspicious circumstance....

There is speculation Giordano did a dry run the day before Robyn went missing. Why go back to the same place two days in a row when you only have a couple days on the island? A coincidence?

Shocking surveillance video from the day before Robyn Gardner disappeared shows her being led by Giordano to the stretch of beach from which she would vanish a day later, in what experts believe could have been a test run before she was murdered. The footage shows the Toyota Rav-4 which the pair had rented parked in the same spot it would be left on the day of Robyn's disappearance. Other shots show them walking near the restaurant where they shared their last meal on the following day. The video was taken at 3.41pm, around the same time of day she vanished a day later.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ents-suspect-Gary-Giordano-enacted-Aruba.html

You say, why would anyone notice or care enough about what a random stranger was doing to be able to remember that days or weeks later?

IMO, Robyn's appearance made her stand out among other tourists in the restaurant. She was "noticed and easily remembered" based on her attire and Giordano's comments. I'm sure most were not dressed to kill with a full face of makeup, implants, high wedge shoes, long dress, etc. That alone would call attention to oneself. Also, the server at the restaurant said Giordano "inexplicably" jumped up after the couple sat down and introduced himself, saying, "My name is Gary and this is Robyn and we're from Maryland." He found the behavior odd and reported it to authorities. Robyn and Gary were not forgettable days or weeks later.

I would not discount a witness simply because they don't know a person or their behavior. If that were the case, most witnesses statements would be discounted and nobody would ever come forward with information.

"I can see for myself" that there were several suspicious circumstances surrounding the disappearance of Robyn Gardner at the hands of Gary Giordano. They can't be dismissed and could potentially affect Giordano's insurance claim especially since he is beneficiary and the last person seen with Robyn. JMO

The Rum Reef restaurant is very, very small. The video is deceiving as the area appears much larger on the video than it really is. Someone would be remembered if the event happened that day because it is clear not many people utilize that restaurant during the day. Plus this is not a bar/restaurant one would normally go dressed the way she was with her makeup and hair done as if they were going somewhere for dinner. The few people I saw there eating lunch had shorts or bathing suites on. Plus RG and GG were there late in the day, right before closing and had obviously not been swimming so they would have looked somewhat out of place there. Since they had just been there to eat I do think the staff would have remembered her. jmo

It has been stated by the server/staff that Robyn hardly touched her food/salad. Did she take it to go in a container? If she did take it with her was it in the car? At the hotel in the fridge? Anybody know?

It has been stated by the server/staff that Robyn hardly touched her food/salad. Did she take it to go in a container? If she did take it with her was it in the car? At the hotel in the fridge? Anybody know?

Yep,I believe the salad was in that container that you can see in Giordanos hands when they are leaving.

The Rum Reef restaurant is very, very small. The video is deceiving as the area appears much larger on the video than it really is. Someone would be remembered if the event happened that day because it is clear not many people utilize that restaurant during the day. Plus this is not a bar/restaurant one would normally go dressed the way she was with her makeup and hair done as if they were going somewhere for dinner. The few people I saw there eating lunch had shorts or bathing suites on. Plus RG and GG were there late in the day, right before closing and had obviously not been swimming so they would have looked somewhat out of place there. Since they had just been there to eat I do think the staff would have remembered her. jmo

Thank you, Lambchop, for your input. I know you have just recently been to Aruba and that helps to give us all perspective on some of the logistics. ITA, that anyone with Robyn's appearance would be remembered, the hair, the dress, etc.

As well as GG's strange behavior and very off the wall comments, it's really as though he was himself on some kind of drugs. Who knows, maybe he was. Cocaine, perhaps? Wouldn't be surprising, as that is the type drug that could cause that sort of impulsive type behavior such as his where he was spouting off things that maybe he wouldn't ordinarily say, such as Robyn "had taken a sleeping pill" . :waitasec:
And there is certainly an obvious difference between someone who is "woozy" and someone who is not "woozy"; A "woozy" person is otherwise known as mentally impaired as a result of drugs / and or alcohol. So either they are "woozy" or they are not. A person who is not inebriated, also known as "woozy", isn't going to be described or considered to be that way unless they really are. I mean, what would be the point in saying so if it were not true ? :waitasec: IJMO, that there is no argument there, imo. :twocents:

Thank you, Lambchop, for your input. I know you have just recently been to Aruba and that helps to give us all perspective on some of the logistics. ITA, that anyone with Robyn's appearance would be remembered, the hair, the dress, etc.

As well as GG's strange behavior and very off the wall comments, it's really as though he was himself on some kind of drugs. Who knows, maybe he was. Cocaine, perhaps? Wouldn't be surprising, as that is the type drug that could cause that sort of impulsive type behavior such as his where he was spouting off things that maybe he wouldn't ordinarily say, such as Robyn "had taken a sleeping pill" . :waitasec:
And there is certainly an obvious difference between someone who is "woozy" and someone who is not "woozy"; A "woozy" person is otherwise known as mentally impaired as a result of drugs / and or alcohol. So either they are "woozy" or they are not. A person who is not inebriated, also known as "woozy", isn't going to be described or considered to be that way unless they really are. I mean, what would be the point in saying so if it were not true ? :waitasec: IJMO, that there is no argument there, imo. :twocents:

I find it interesting that GG walked all the way down around towards the back of the dive shop to where he parked his car to fill that cup he had in his hand when they were obviously getting ready to leave. It's a hot walk in that sun and they were planning on leaving within a couple of minutes after his return. Not sure how fast those sleeping pills work but if he dropped one in her drink at 4pm how long would it have taken to work?

Another thing I found interesting. Most restaurants, let alone those with a bar available, do not let you bring your own drinks to the table. He was able to do that and I'm sure that made them "quite" memorable. I mean who does that? So cheap you won't buy a drink but you think nothing of renting a RAV4 which is almost $400 a week. An SUV is not needed unless you plan on driving along the cliff areas of the eastern most coastline because in the high rise area all the roads are paved. I had a small KIA and did just fine. Even drove through the National Park which is mostly paved but some of the areas still have dirt roads. jmo

According to Giordano, Robyn took an Ambien the afternoon she went missing. Adding alcohol to the mix could certainly make one woozy and have negative side effects. Why would Giordano take Robyn snorkeling knowing this?? This is certainly a suspicious circumstance.

<snip>

Ambien is a sedative and alcohol is a central nervous system depressant. Both Ambien and alcohol slow down bodily processes, which means alcohol increases the effects of Ambien. Even a small amount of alcohol combined with Ambien leads to negative repercussions.

Combining Ambien and alcohol may result in the following side effects:

Drowsiness
Blackouts
Slurred speech
Loss of coordination
Severe depression
Dizziness
Lightheadedness
Poor judgment
Amnesia
Impaired motor skills
Slowed or difficult breathing
Unusual behavior
Low blood pressures
Unconsciousness

Conditions such as impaired motor skills, poor judgment, and unusual behavior may lead to serious injury, especially if users do not immediately try and sleep after taking Ambien. Due to partial amnesia, users may not remember how they acquired their injury. For personal safety and the safety of those around them, Ambien users should not use alcohol or other drugs.

<snip>

http://www.ambien-addiction-treatment.com/dangers-of-mixing-ambien-with-alcohol-and-other-drugs

<snip>

Personality Changes
Ambien has been associated with significant personality changes that include confusion, decreased inhibitions, visual and auditory hallucinations, agitation and aggression. According to sanofi-adventis, these adverse effects are more likely to occur in people who take alcohol along with Ambien.

Complex Behaviors
An individual who takes Ambien may engage in complex behaviors while he's still partly asleep. He may walk around the house or neighborhood, engage in sexual intercourse or even drive his car without realizing what he's doing. When he awakens, he won't remember what he's done, says Drugs.com. Alcohol use increases the chance of these undesirable adverse effects.

Overdose
When two central nervous system depressants like Ambien and alcohol are taken during the same day, the combination increases the risk of Ambien overdose. The individual may lapse into a coma, develop severe respiratory problems and low blood pressure or even die. The message from sanofi-aventis is clear: Don't drink while taking Ambien.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/244899-ambien-side-effects-with-alcohol/#ixzz1yqtqmNnQ

I find it interesting that GG walked all the way down around towards the back of the dive shop to where he parked his car to fill that cup he had in his hand when they were obviously getting ready to leave. It's a hot walk in that sun and they were planning on leaving within a couple of minutes after his return. Not sure how fast those sleeping pills work but if he dropped one in her drink at 4pm how long would it have taken to work?

Another thing I found interesting. Most restaurants, let alone those with a bar available, do not let you bring your own drinks to the table. He was able to do that and I'm sure that made them "quite" memorable. I mean who does that? So cheap you won't buy a drink but you think nothing of renting a RAV4 which is almost $400 a week. An SUV is not needed unless you plan on driving along the cliff areas of the eastern most coastline because in the high rise area all the roads are paved. I had a small KIA and did just fine. Even drove through the National Park which is mostly paved but some of the areas still have dirt roads. jmo

My Bolding: I agree, very questionable, for sure Big Red Flags. :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members