WI WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

I am sure this article has been posted previously, but since this thread has been ongoing for a while, I thought I'd post it to give a little info regarding the father's behavior as to why he ended up going to the home to look for Evelyn...it seems perfectly sane in the way he took action....poor man

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...V4xAAAAIBAJ&sjid=TBAEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7093,5773208

Creole

Yep :)

We of course discussed it briefly but it is very unlikely her father was the perp.

More interesting in your article, to me at least, states that the front door locked behind her dad when he left the house. We discussed this but I can't recall if we were discussing whether or not the door could do that or if we were discussing it because we knew it was able to.

Frankly, I think the perp got in from the basement window (article supports that) and exited from the front. Sounds like they agreed at one point. I dunno, we may have already had this exact discussion before but I believe they left from the front door.

Also, I forgot there was no blood in the house.

Do we know how long the Rasmusens had lived there? In the picture I have the lawn doesn't appear to have even been seeded yet. Maybe this is an earlier realtor picture rather than a crime scene photo and if so of diminished relevance.

I don't see any way that the father could have been involved unless he hired it done and that is about equal in likelihood with UFO abduction.

2 months I believe. It was new construction in a new neighborhood - not all of the houses were up yet.

Also, a general note to everyone, I am adding Evelyn to my signature in hopes of getting more notice for her. Feel free to steal it.

I'd like to get people's opinions on this. Many items believing to be involved in the case were scattered in the area and found right off the highway - for example, the perp's shoes and jacket and her undergarments. Why do you think this is? Why not dump it in an isolated area or with her? Do you think this indicates that she was probably placed in a similar type area and, by sheer luck, was never found? Personally I think the guy took all of the items and threw them randomly out the car as he drove around the area.

There wasn't any DNA back then so why was she not found but so many other items were? Why hide her so well but nothing else?

I figured the guy was just trying to lay a false trail.

I agree with the false trail idea. I know there have been other cases where perps would leave random items in order to confuse LE.

I know that we've discussed so many theories on this thread that I keep having to re-read through the posts to remember them all. It's one of the most intriguing cases I've read about, and even with the passage of time I still think this could be solved.

If two people were involved in Evelyn's disappearance, which I think is possible, it just adds to the puzzle. What are the odds that two people could keep this crime a secret over the years? It seems like one of them would have let something leak, to a wife/girlfriend for example.

I agree with the false trail idea. I know there have been other cases where perps would leave random items in order to confuse LE.

I know that we've discussed so many theories on this thread that I keep having to re-read through the posts to remember them all. It's one of the most intriguing cases I've read about, and even with the passage of time I still think this could be solved.

If two people were involved in Evelyn's disappearance, which I think is possible, it just adds to the puzzle. What are the odds that two people could keep this crime a secret over the years? It seems like one of them would have let something leak, to a wife/girlfriend for example.

I was just thinking, I need to re-read this.

It's possible they did, remember the drunk men(s) that claimed they did it?

I was just thinking, I need to re-read this.

It's possible they did, remember the drunk men(s) that claimed they did it?

I recall a witness who claimed he saw two men supporting a young woman who seemed groggy or intoxicated. I think this was fairly close to the Rasmusen's house. Nothing came of this sighting that I can recall but I'd say it's safe to assume it didn't pan out.

Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

I need to re-read the posts, too, it's been a while since I've done that!

No, actually I started to re-read it and one of the very first posts talks about a guy that came forward in the 80s claiming he recorded a guy in a bar talking about how he and his buddy we the ones that abducted her. That's what I was thinking of.

There were a few witnesses to her kidnapping, one of which heard screams, one of which saw a man supporting a woman while walking (witness assumed they were partying too much), and another (could have been the same guy) that saw a car with two men and a female leaning forward against the seat in front of her.

I was thinking about why the abductors would force Evelyn out the basement window instead of going out a doorway. Maybe, the window where they got in was in a less than noticeable area - it was still early enough for people in the surrounding area (whether in their home or walking the streets) to be up and out and about. The perps would need to be stealthy. It may have made sense to them to push her out the more "safe from being seen" window than just dragging her out a door where someone could have seen them immediately. Doesn't make sense to us, but of course, we are not pumped up on adrenaline committing a crime. This also would tie in with someone witnessing a man holding up a staggering woman while walking...Evelyn would have had to have been somewhat conscience for someone to be able to get her up and out the window in the basement - there is a huge difference in moving someone that still has the capacity to hold themselves upright (even if the capacity is diminished) than to push dead weight up and out the window. And I think there was more than one person involved.
Just my thoughts,
Creole

Thought - can't come up with a scenario off the bat that would start this but maybe she tried escaping out the basement window, the "lookout" heard her coming out and attacked her. Head wounds often emit a lot of blood without really being too bad. However, you would think there would have been blood in the house. I don't know, this whole thing is so weird. Or maybe it's just as simple as she tried to escape and they caught up with her. I don't think she would leave the baby behind though.

I'm re-reading everything for a refresher so I'm going to probably be posting a lot of random thoughts.

Her dad entered the house from the basement window. I would like to know where the blood was if he didn't see it. Initially when re-reading it sounded like it was right outside, or even in, the window well but obviously this wouldn't be the case as he would have got some on himself.

I was born in LaCrosse and my grandparents were close friends of the Hartley's, my grandfather being a chemistry professor at the University.
My grandparents (Mr & Mrs Lawrence Rowe), along with the Hartleys, the Campbells, and others I can't remember, formed a pot-luck "supper club" that met regularly - and this is how I know and remember the Hartleys.
I can say they were both exceptionally pleasant, charmingly funny and sweet natured.
No one in my family, or anyone, ever mentioned or discussed Evelyn in front of them. I was told they had accepted the fact that she was dead and her body would never be found. They had lost another child earlier to polio, which from other stories I have been told, was another entire nightmare affecting many families and spreading fear throughout La Crosse. So the loss of a child was something they were already unfortunately familiar with.
I also know that there was extensive investigation and searching for Evelyn (or her body) at the time, and the Hartleys were vigorously involved - and that any attempt to portray the Hartleys as being disinterested, or no longer being interested in continuing the investigation, is to discredit their need for closure in mourning the loss of their daughter and moving on with their lives. I also understand that the event generated significant fear throughout the city, which remained for sometime.
Regarding rumors of what happened that night, I have heard the following theory discussed by my family: The assailant(s) were let into the house by Evelyn under false pretense of car trouble, students looking for Prof. Rasmussen, or some other sympathetic story. Evelyn was smart enough to be aware of potential danger, but kind, and it was believed that appealing to her desire to be helpful would have worked as a way of getting inside the house. It was strongly felt that Evelyn did not know the attacker(s). At some point after this an attack occurred inside the house. Evelyn looses one shoe escaping, and unable to get out of the house (or in an effort to keep the assailant(s) away from the infant), flees (or falls) down the stairs to the basement. Another fight occurs in the basement, either before, or while, Evelyn is trying to escape through the basement window. It is at this point that she is screaming and neighbors look outside and see nothing. She escapes out the basement window (possibly with stab wounds in her back and legs), and is disoriented, rapidly losing blood, possibly about to faint or lose consciousness, she steadies herself from falling leaving a bloody handprint on a house, while she zig-zags across the yards. The attacker(s) leave the house, and pursue and capture her. She is seen by a witness being taken by two people to a car and then being driven from the area. The Gein rumors were frequent - but there were also rumors that this was an act of one or two male college students engaged in a random rape attack, fraternity hazing stunt, or some such that spun disastrously out of control and ended in murder.
Anyway, I stumbled across this discussion and thought members might be interested to hear this...

Bumping this as I totally forgot about it. Theory makes the most sense to me all around - both how they got in and how she got out.

Thank you Claudette - never saw this! It is a very plausible theory. I am frustrated that nothing came of the eye witness reports of the people who were assisting a girl to a car or the car itself.....Creole

Thank you Claudette - never saw this! It is a very plausible theory. I am frustrated that nothing came of the eye witness reports of the people who were assisting a girl to a car or the car itself.....Creole

Yes - it was the same guy. He was either picking up or dropping off an in-law that lived in the area. When driving to the house, he saw them walking. When leaving the area, he saw the car. He was called "Mr. X" in news reports because he did not want his name publicly known. Only recently did he come out publicly.

Just a thought that has occurred to me. If the witness that saw the young woman walking & being steadied by the two men was correct, one way they got Evelyn to settle down & walk quietly on her own accord may have been to tell her if she cooperated, no harm would come to the baby. The baby could have been used as leverage against her. I can easily envision this poor sweet girl begging for no harm to come to the toddler in her care & her abductors realizing this was a way to keep her quiet. You all know a lot more about this case as Im late to it. But this just popped into my head.

Bothers me a lot the family won't give dna. Doesn't poor Evelyn deserve to perhaps be identified & buried with dignity if ever found? I just do not understand begrudging their sibling this.

I think we should find out more about the girl that should have been there, I agree. I also think there has to be a "oh duh" explanation to the shoe and jacket size. We're missing a key piece there.

Was anyone ever able to find out any more information about the girl whose place Evelyn took to babysit that terrible night?

Something else that bothers me. The neighbors hearing screams but just thinking it was kids playing. I mean, kids playing or not, when I hear a scream, I check it out. This just doesn't sit right with me. Strikes me as odd. I bet the moms on here would agree with me on this one.

Im so impressed with all of the research & thought you folks have put into this case that I can't stop reading. Who needs clean laundry anyway? That can wait while I reread this fascinating thread.

I just re-read the post by scheie.

If the scenario of Evelyn bleeding and escaping from the basement window is true, I would think that the woman being "assisted" by two men (as seen by a witness) would have been bloody. You might ignore a young woman being held up by two men, but not a bloody woman.:waitasec:

Also, it seems there would have been much more of her blood on the basement window.

Was a knife found at the scene? I've been participating on this thread for a long time and can't recall.

I just re-read the post by scheie.

If the scenario of Evelyn bleeding and escaping from the basement window is true, I would think that the woman being "assisted" by two men (as seen by a witness) would have been bloody. You might ignore a young woman being held up by two men, but not a bloody woman.:waitasec:

Also, it seems there would have been much more of her blood on the basement window.

Was a knife found at the scene? I've been participating on this thread for a long time and can't recall.

If he was far enough away and the lighting was bad he probably wouldn't see the blood imo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back