Penn State Sandusky Trial #12 (GUILTY-post verdict discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, as always:

Central Pennsylvania Gothic.

It keeps on getting worse. Even if the Three Stooges were acting out of completely altruistic purposes, really thought they were being "humane," it blew up in their faces. Good Lord, even saying that they wanted Sandusky to get help doesn't mean anything if he doesn't get any help.

Maybe, this could be at least partly justifiable if someone would have forced him to get help, and made sure he wasn't around young boys.

(Yes, I'm in full rant today!) :)

What gets me is that these 3 men all knew about 1998 and 2001, and Paterno we know knew about 2001 and maybe 1998, but until 2009, I believe, when Sandusky found out he was being investigated, for 8 years, they still saw him around boys at the school, the hotels, the games, even out of state games, and never stopped to think what was going on, never asked, never got involved again, knowing what they knew about him.

What happened to the follow up they emailed about? Why did they take no action all those 8 years when they saw he was still behaving the same way with boys? Where was their concern for the children? Where was their concern for their own jobs if this came out? Where were their brains? Where was their thinking? Surely they had all realized if the situation became public this would be against them and the school...they acknowledged this before so why did they just stop being concerned about it after 2001? It's like they just put it in the back of their minds and used some magical thinking to dismiss it.

2002 - no more complaints about JS, we got by another year
2003 - ditto
2004 - ditto
2005 - ditto
2006 - ditto
2007 - ditto
2008 - ditto
2009 - oops, holy cow!
2010 - I'd love to see the emails for that year as they prepared to testity

No, they are not stupid men, in fact, very smart and well educated, but they made a very, very stupid decision and then stupidly stuck with it all those years without any concern about what JS was still doing with the boys, or even for their own jobs and school. Just frickin' unbelievable and they deserve whatever happens to them AFAIC.

Jerry Sandusky evaluation will aid judge in sentencing

http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/28/3244573/probation-office-eyes-evaluation.html

BELLEFONTE — Centre County Office of Probation workers soon will begin putting together Jerry Sandusky’s presentence investigation, a report that will aid the judge in sentencing the former Penn State defensive coach.

Thomas Young, the office’s director, said the report will include information on the range of prison time that each count carries, charging documents such as the grand jury’s presentment, any restitution owed, any psychological or psychiatric reports, Sandusky’s version of events if he chooses to offer one, and statements from the victims if they choose to offer them.

The office has 90 days to compile the presentence investigation report.
-------

“I expect to see a majority of the young men who testified at trial present again at sentencing,” said Tom Kline, the Philadelphia attorney representing a 23-year-old man known as victim 5.

“The commitment of the victims has been exemplar. I expect my client to participate in the sentencing phase.”

Sandusky was also ordered to be evaluated by the state Sexual Offenders Assessment Board to determine if he’s a sexually violent predator.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/06/28/3244573/probation-office-eyes-evaluation.html#storylink=cpy

What gets me is that these 3 men all knew about 1998 and 2001, and Paterno we know knew about 2001 and maybe 1998, but until 2009, I believe, when Sandusky found out he was being investigated, for 8 years, they still saw him around boys at the school, the hotels, the games, even out of state games, and never stopped to think what was going on, never asked, never got involved again, knowing what they knew about him.

I don't know if Curley knew about 1998 in 1998. He knew about by 2001. Paterno obviously knew about 2001, and knew that Sandusky was involved in a children's charity. And if Raykovitz knew, my God!

How many failures were there?

"As The Second Mile’s CEO Jack Raykovitz testified to the grand jury, he was informed in 2002 by Pennsylvania State University Athletic Director Tim Curley that an individual had reported to Mr. Curley that he was uncomfortable about seeing Jerry Sandusky in the locker room shower with a youth. Mr. Curley also shared that the information had been internally reviewed and that there was no finding of wrongdoing. At no time was The Second Mile made aware of the very serious allegations contained in the grand jury report."
Second Mile's Press release
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/the_second_mile_releases_a_sta.html
Nov 7, 2011

"As The Second Mile’s CEO Jack Raykovitz testified to the grand jury, he was informed in 2002 by Pennsylvania State University Athletic Director Tim Curley that an individual had reported to Mr. Curley that he was uncomfortable about seeing Jerry Sandusky in the locker room shower with a youth. Mr. Curley also shared that the information had been internally reviewed and that there was no finding of wrongdoing. At no time was The Second Mile made aware of the very serious allegations contained in the grand jury report."
Second Mile's Press release
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/the_second_mile_releases_a_sta.html
Nov 7, 2011

Well, that could be all that was reported. "No wrongdoing" is the key. :(

Isn't there a grand jury meeting right now?

They are still in session.

I'm sort of expecting something on TSM (Courtney) or Spanier.

I really am not sure of the extent that they are investigating Gricar. They obviously were looking at his 1998 decision, but they may have looked and found no illegality.

Wendell Courtnay
November 17, 2011
http://www.centredaily.com/2011/11/17/2989371/courtney-denies-knowledge-of-acts.html

“The man who served as attorney for both Penn State and The Second Mile said that, contrary to a state grand jury report, he was never aware of a 1998 investigation into possible allegations of sexual misconduct by Jerry Sandusky.

State College lawyer Wendell Courtney said he also never knew that then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary had told former Nittany Lions head football coach Joe Paterno about witnessing Sandusky allegedly sexually assault a boy in a Penn State shower in 2002. Paterno, according to the grand jury, in turn notified Athletic Director Tim Curley. Curley and Gary Schultz, senior vice president for finance and business, spoke with McQueary one week later.

Courtney served as counsel for Penn State from the time he passed the bar in 1980 until 2008, all while working with the McQuaide Blasko law firm. He said in an interview he never was asked by Penn State whether police should be notified about any allegations of sexual abuse involving Sandusky.
“Had I ever been asked, my response would have been, ‘Absolutely and immediately,’ ” Courtney said. “Had I ever had any inkling that Sandusky was engaging in behavior with children that was even remotely improper, nothing on God’s green earth would have kept me from making certain that the allegations were reported to the police authorities and thoroughly investigated.” According to the grand jury presentment: “Schultz testified that the 1998 incident was reviewed by university police and ‘the child protection agency’ with the blessing of then-university counsel Wendell Courtney. Courtney was then and remains counsel for The Second Mile.” Courtney also disputes the last sentence, saying he did not begin work for The Second Mile until April 2009.”

So who was the lawyer who billed for consulting at the “three hour meeting” in 2001?

Lawyers lie sometimes to protect themselves.

However, if ya'll want to look for a candidate other than Wendell Courtney, try Dan Bright. Another McQuaide Blasko atty, PSU/Dickinson Law grad, on TSM's Board of Directors. But i don't think so.

Google Dan Bright McQuaide Blasko + Penn State

What happened to the follow up they emailed about? Why did they take no action all those 8 years when they saw he was still behaving the same way with boys? Where was their concern for the children? Where was their concern for their own jobs if this came out? Where were their brains? Where was their thinking? Surely they had all realized if the situation became public this would be against them and the school...they acknowledged this before so why did they just stop being concerned about it after 2001? It's like they just put it in the back of their minds and used some magical thinking to dismiss it.

2002 - no more complaints about JS, we got by another year
2003 - ditto
2004 - ditto
2005 - ditto
2006 - ditto
2007 - ditto
2008 - ditto
2009 - oops, holy cow!
2010 - I'd love to see the emails for that year as they prepared to testity

No, they are not stupid men, in fact, very smart and well educated, but they made a very, very stupid decision and then stupidly stuck with it all those years without any concern about what JS was still doing with the boys, or even for their own jobs and school. Just frickin' unbelievable and they deserve whatever happens to them AFAIC.

It is likely Jerry Sandusky molested boys during those times when no complaints were filed. There could be complaints that we do not know of outside of Penn State.

In the same e-mail, according to CNN, Mr. Curley also suggested that if Mr. Sandusky "is cooperative," Penn State "would work with him" to tell Second Mile. If not, Mr. Curley wrote, the university would inform both Second Mile and outside authorities

http://chronicle.com/article/Records-Raise-More-Questions/132725/

The really horrible part is that they didn't do any of these options, it seems.

I don't know if Curley knew about 1998 in 1998. He knew about by 2001. Paterno obviously knew about 2001, and knew that Sandusky was involved in a children's charity. And if Raykovitz knew, my God!

How many failures were there?

Enough to ruin the lives of at least 10 boys and probably many more unknown to us.

And, as always:

Central Pennsylvania Gothic.

It keeps on getting worse. Even if the Three Stooges were acting out of completely altruistic purposes, really thought they were being "humane," it blew up in their faces. Good Lord, even saying that they wanted Sandusky to get help doesn't mean anything if he doesn't get any help.

Maybe, this could be at least partly justifiable if someone would have forced him to get help, and made sure he wasn't around young boys.

(Yes, I'm in full rant today!) :)

If one wanted to keep the situation entirely confidential, they might not want Jerry to seek treatment from a therapist outside their "inner circle". If there was a convenient psychiatrist with an interest in keeping things quiet, however, who could also promise to keep Jerry away from young TSM boys, and also had his own position and salary to protect.......well, it just makes me wonder...

Spanier asks court to overrule Penn State's objections to his lawsuit

STATE COLLEGE — Former Penn State president Graham Spanier is asking the court to overrule the university’s objections to providing him with emails he sent that may be part of an internal university investigation.

Spanier has filed suit against Penn State in an effort to obtain those emails, which he said he needs in order to cooperate with authorities investigating the university’s handling of child sexual abuse allegations against Jerry Sandusky.

Read more here: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/07/...t-to-overrule.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

If one wanted to keep the situation entirely confidential, they might not want Jerry to seek treatment from a therapist outside their "inner circle". If there was a convenient psychiatrist with an interest in keeping things quiet, however, who could also promise to keep Jerry away from young TSM boys, and also had his own position and salary to protect.......well, it just makes me wonder...

Gosh, I didn't know Dottie was a psychiatrist!

ohiogirl: you said "The really horrible part is that they didn't do any of these options, it seems."

Well, these people all knew each other; went to the same functions; Linette Courtney, Wendell's wife, was on TSM's Board in 1998 and Wendell was later, as well as doing pro bono work for them.

I imagine that rather than make an "official notification" to TSM, that they simply handled it informally. Thru Courtney or someone else. Just not on Penn State letterhead, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk