Theories On What Happened To Susan Powell

Curious just told me there was a Theories thread :blushing: maybe this belongs over here.

No doubt a large duffel, and equipment, could have easily been loaded into their van under the pretense of telling the boys they were going "camping." No question in my mind either that the generator served a purpose.

A generator could have supplied the power for an ice auger which could have been used to bore a hole through the ice and a weighted body put beneath the layer of ice... just thinking about it gives me shivers and icy chills. From what research I've now done on ice fishing etc it seems auger would be a superefficient, relatively inexpensive way to accomplish this. They can be rented or perhaps he owned one as they're available sometimes from landscape supplies. Maybe an earth auger/post hole auger would serve? Any auger can be connected to source of power such as a generator, and frankly I was shocked at how portable, affordable ($300+) and efficient these are and as I said, he may have had something already in his shed.

Drilling thru thick ice (thicker than 12") requires heavy energy load thus the need for generator. In demos below, the man cuts thru this extremely thick ice in under five minutes. Yes, ice fishing requires only a small (8-10") hole, smaller than would be required, eg to permit a (weighted) body to be lowered down into the water. But I also learned that, depending upon amperage draw off generator, you can drill 40 (8" or 10") holes eg w three gallons of gas :eek:

Check out these and other beginner ice fishing mini-videos... notice in demo at no time in any demo does the guy wear gloves--so as to not lose his grip regardless of what tool he is using. And when he explains how these holes must be "skimmed" (to remove snow or ice which falls into and fills the hole you create) I wondered if maybe Joshy didn't have a skimmer--so his hands became frostbitten attempting to do this task by hand?

I've now learned everything I ever wanted to know about cutting thru ice. It's giving me the willies to be honest. He could easily have disposed of (returned?) an auger before returning home once called and alerted by LE. Did SP perhaps bring one to their meeting spot? (While I firmly believe landscaping familiarity w earth auger/posthole digger is all that would have been necessary, I am nevertheless curious whether perhaps anyone in the family ever had ice fished eg.) I find it interesting that generator itself was never disposed of--too cheap? Too cocky? Does this surprise us? Had to explain noise boys overheard? Unlike power augers, these generators can be spendy! Maybe he thought w/out auger, no one would be the wiser re generator--and thought his "testing" excuse would enable him to keep it. I mean a wife is one thing, but sure hate to throw away a nice generator :rolleyes:

Just tossing some ideas out here. Is anyone else getting a really bad feeling about this? JMO

http://www.ehow.com/video_4954991_cutting-ice-fishing-hole-power.html?pid=1&cp=1

http://www.ehow.com/video_4954989_cutting-ice-fishing-hole-hand.htmlhttp://www.strikemaster.com/power.html

:parrot:

#5 without a doubt

Here's one of the many ways I see it:

Josh had come across some information over the weekend maybe that Susan had a separate bank account and she was planning to leave with the boys. He found something out and it could have been that Sunday when Susan and the boys walked to church. This set him on a course he had thought of before, and made vague threats about, but it was to him "the last straw".

Rageful, Josh used the loving husband act to deceive Susan. Great pancakes and eggs, Dear. He used some drug to make her sleepy. She was going to have to take a nap. Jovanna left, and Josh took the boys in the van someplace. Susan was actually still just sleeping when they returned and Josh had time to pack a few things in the van. (smores ingredients I guess, or a generator) Susan was out sound asleep. The boys had fallen asleep upon returning from that first "sledding" trip. Josh strangles Susan either in the BR or LR. He goes to carry her out to the van, but body fluids leak creating the wet spot. Then, in the garage, the darn car alarm goes off. Gets her in the van concealed. Goes back into house, cleans wet spot and sets up fans. Gets boys up and in van to go camping. There's a frozen lake he and his Dad used to go to, not that far away. The two boys are sound asleep for a few more hours in the van. He had a sled to pull the body on. The generator has some kind of important use, maybe to cut a hole in the ice, and maybe he met someone out there that helped him. Might have had to get the rental car so he could go check if the ice had covered over.
Well, now I'm really going to cry for Susan. Any story you can come up with will make you sick.

Thanks kiki. Quoting myself above. Cutting through ice using that generator is a logical theory. Josh mentioned that generator for a reason, but he failed to provide exactly how he tested out his new generator.:eek:

I think he drugged her with something to make her drowsy, she fell asleep on the couch in the living room, he dragged her to floor and smothered her with a pillow. Her bladder/bowels released, so he had to clean up the area, hence the giant wet spot and fans. He then put her in the car and dumped her somewhere, which is going to be very difficult to find unless more info comes out about his trip (ie if he used a credit card anywhere for gas/food etc, or if a witness saw him).

(bbm) Agree completely w bolded--only skip a step. Ie why go to all the trouble of smothering her... when a little more drug would do/od her and save Joshy the trouble. That's what a passive-aggressive cowardly narcissist would do IMO--no muss, no fuss.

:parrot:

As per the discussions in Susan Powell #6 it is possible that the wet spot on the carpet could have been badly cleaned up blood. LE did take half the carpet from that room for testing. Hmm...she wasn't necessarily drugged...blood makes me think big fight with a awake woman.

I'm not surprised few people with theories have posted. It's very hard to imagine it happening any way it did, and not pleasant to think about. Hope LE has enough to make their move soon, and get Josh behind bars. Time to talk!

Do NOT mean to offend PattiG, but couldn't this, and "Do you think Susan Powell will be found?" be combined? People who are most involved and caring scattered to too many places. JMHO of course

Don't think that people wish to post same on nth amount of posts. Singularity/or differing of thoughts combined with FACTS appear to be the key to real sleuthing.

1) She left of her own accord and is still in hiding somewhere.
2) She was abducted by person or persons unknown
3) She was killed by person or persons unknown
4) She was abducted by Josh, possibly with help from father?
5) She was killed by Josh, her body removed and dumped by Josh, possibly with help

I can see no other possible scenarios to explain her continued absense.

1) Extremely unlikely, she would not have left her two children, would not have left her friends in ignorance all this time, and would have had to take something from the house with her - keys, phone, purse, coat, money, which we have no suggestion from Josh or LE that she did.

2) Extremely unlikely. First we have to accept Josh's camping trip story, and then someone has to gain access to the house while he is out (no sign of a break in), either knowing it is occupied by a single female, or in the hopes of that.

3) same as 2, except that they kill her instead of abducting her.

4) Possible, and this is what her friends are hoping for, and that she will either escape or be released. If she has been abducted by Josh, it is most likely to brainwash her out of the LDS, and he must be holding her somewhere, most likely at his father's house, so the father must be in on the scheme. However I don't think Josh would have chosen late on a Sunday evening for such a plot, knowing it would be discovered as soon as their Monday routine was broken. If such a scheme was planned, it was triggered early.

5) Most likely. An argument occured late at night, around 11:30pm to 11:45pm. Josh kills Susan unintentionally, and then panics and decides to dump her body rather than own up. He wraps her in plastic or something to disguise her, puts the body in the van, possibly letting off the alarm in the process. He can't leave the children unattended, nor can he call a neighbour to babysit them while he dumps her body in the woods, so he takes them with him, and concocts the *advertiser censored*-and-bull story about a camping trip to cover his actions. He has mopped up the mess he made killing her, and leaves fans on to dry the wet patch where she died.
I suppose it is possible that he put her in the front passenger seat and strapped her in, so the kids thought she was coming on the trip, which might explain the 4yo's comment about his mother staying in the woods.
Returning to the house the next day, the scene has already been discovered by LE and he presents his *advertiser censored*-and-bull story, dreamed up while driving, possibly with manufactured evidence to back it up, though we have seen no sign of any such evidence. Nobody believes it, but nobody can disprove it if he refuses to take LE to the camping site, which he apparently does.

Forensic evidence is gathered from the house, which takes 4-8 weeks to fully analyse.
Until that analysis is complete the LE will not have a case to convict him, but they can keep him munder observation wherever he is.

4 weeks and 4 days have now passed.

Bartleby, I vote for #5. Great post.

Ok, this is a sick and twisted thought, but since Josh's fathers birthday is Dec 19th, could there have been a motive there for him to get rid of Susan as a sort of gift to his father? I know it's pretty off the wall but nothing in this story seems normal to me! Was Josh up in WA on Dec 19th celebrating the day with his daddy?

VB

Ok, this is a sick and twisted thought, but since Josh's fathers birthday is Dec 19th, could there have been a motive there for him to get rid of Susan as a sort of gift to his father? I know it's pretty off the wall but nothing in this story seems normal to me! Was Josh up in WA on Dec 19th celebrating the day with his daddy?

VB

I think it has more to do with it being the first Sunday of the month. Isn't that fast and testimony Sunday?

I think it has more to do with it being the first Sunday of the month. Isn't that fast and testimony Sunday?

Fast? As in breakfast is pancakes for supper? Ayyyeee! Poison comes to mind, and sadness to heart.

As usual, I will go back and forth on premeditated and intentional versus accidental or due to fight but not planned.

I think I will always have to be convinced again and again that some people truly are selfish and evil enough to kill their own spouse, and mother of their children according to some plan.

Then I remind myself that it's no problem for a pathological narcissist who has the ability to not care that much anyways. The example being how fast Josh was ready to move on. Everybody else is still looking for Susan. I guess I'd have to accept that it may make him capable of a premeditated, intentional murder.

Wild theory, Vegas Bride. Now that would be too hard for my mind to handle.

I think Susan could have been drugged or poisoned when her friend was over since Susan became ill after dinner and went to sleep. I've thought from the beginning that he could have put her in the vehicle in a drugged state and left her out in some remote area to die of hypothermia or killed her there. I don't know what was on the wet spots, but she could have been trying to get away, struggled, or vomited as he was getting her out of the home. If the son said his mommy stayed in the woods then she was taken to the woods with them.

I think Susan could have been drugged or poisoned when her friend was over since Susan became ill after dinner and went to sleep. I've thought from the beginning that he could have put her in the vehicle in a drugged state and left her out in some remote area to die of hypothermia or killed her there. I don't know what was on the wet spots, but she could have been trying to get away, struggled, or vomited as he was getting her out of the home. If the son said his mommy stayed in the woods then she was taken to the woods with them.

I really agree with you

I don't think it was blood on the carpet..that would show..I think she vomited

I think the "timing" had to do with a decision by Susan...I think she had asked for a divorce, wanted him out of there, wanted the kids,

she basically supported them all...his money would be cut off, his "pride" hurt, his control broken

I think he gave her some sleeping pill or drugged her to give him time..I think that she may have thrown up...I think he got her/led her to the van and off they all went..."left" her in the woods

His 2nd "camping and smores" trip may have been to hide her better or cover his tracks or ??

I think the "father" may have helped him in the coverup but I doubt this was a planned conspiracy (but may be a conspiracy after the fact, accomplice after the fact)

I am firm in the idea that the MOST dangerous time for a woman in an abusive controlling situation is when she finally says "enough"..and ends it...I think Susan said "enough' and this tragedy unfolded

Hard to tell where to put this, but a child in WA just came across human remains and I wanted to post the thread on the off chance it had anything to do with this case...
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96165"]WA - 8-year-old Finds Human Remains Near Toledo - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

VB

He did leave on the 18th I think. Who knows WHAT or HOW this family thinks.

Hard to tell where to put this, but a child in WA just came across human remains and I wanted to post the thread on the off chance it had anything to do with this case...
WA - 8-year-old Finds Human Remains Near Toledo - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...-not-believed-to-be-those-of-Susan-Cox-Powell

February 18, 2010 - TOLEDO - An 8-year old boy playing in a wooded area in Lewis County, Wash., near the Cowlitz River on Thursday afternoon came upon remains that Lewis County sheriffs do not believe belong to Susan Cox Powell.

The mother of two young boys went missing from her West Valley City, Utah home in early December, and has yet to be found. (Click here and here for more information about Susan's disappearance.)

The sheriff's office said the 8-year old boy was playing outside at approximately 3:30 p.m. Thursday when he made the horrifying discovery that has local authorities looking for answers.

Detectives are searching the area and, at this time, have no information as to how long the remains had been there or how the person died.

One thing they are quite sure of, the remains are not those of missing Utah mom, Susan Cox Powell, whose hometown is Puyallup, Wash., about one hour southeast of where the body was found.

Chief Deputy Stacy Brown, Public Information Officer (PIO) for Lewis County Sheriff's office, told Examiner.com Friday, "We have no reason to believe the human remains found were those of Susan Powell."

Aerial footage of the scene captured by KOMO News' Air 4 shows detectives combing the area with cadaver dogs. A search team also can be seen forming up near the rural site.

Little information is available at this time but Examiner.com will keep you informed as information is released.

The remains were found at a location along the 100-block of Cougar Lane. Stacey Brown also said it is too early to determine if the person was the victim of a crime. She said the remains are most likely those of an adult.

Cadaver dogs are being called in to help search for additional clues, including something that might lead to the identity. The investigation includes checking missing persons records.

Grays Harbor County Undersheriff Rick Scott said authorities do not have any indication that the remains might belong to Lindsey Baum, the young girl who disappeared June 26 in the small town of McCleary, about 50 miles away.

Undersheriff Scott confirmed with Examiner.com that the remains are not those of Lindsey Baum and that the case of the discovered remains is being handled by Lewis County Sheriff's office.

Police continue their investigation into the disappearance of Susan Cox Powell.

The last person to see Susan was her husband, Josh Powell, who remains the sole person of interest in the case police call a missing person's case with suspicious criminal overtones.

Josh and Susan were both from Puyallup, where Josh is now living with his father.

Believe09 - Thank you so much for posting this. Not that I want this to be someone's loved one but maybe the family will finally have peace. I wonder if it's Nancy Moyer since they ruled out Lindsey Baum? So, so sad for everyone involved. I wish life were fair.

Every time something like this comes up, POI will have to wonder if he'll be asked again by the press to make a statement about whether he thinks it's his wife. He could even wonder if he'll be framed. Enormous pressure. And don't let the boys watch TV. They might hear something where they bring up daddy's name again in the news.

MAP starting at Powell home in West Valley City, and site near where today's remains were found in Hobble Creek Canyon, Springville, Utah.

According to one TV station, the remains were found "about a five minute hike" off one of the main canyon roads.

The interesting thing? There's a winter recreation area in that canyon, including sledding hills.

The latest news report says it's "unlikely" it's Susan Powell, although the body IS of a 25-35 year old woman.
The body appears to not be connected to any missing persons case.

Oh wow! This looks totally possible....

It does. I've theorized often that he secured her to one of the sleds, and just scooted her down a hill. The article doesn't say if the "five minute hike" is upwards, or downwards.

"While it appears that Steven is close in age to Susan Powell and was driving through the Salt Lake City area within a day or two of her disappearance, any connection between the two seems entirely coincidental to us. Because we want to remain open to all possibilities, no matter how improbable, we have no issue with an exchange of information between the St. George and West Valley City police departments."

resized_Susan_Powell_missing_Utah_Mom.jpg

Steven_Koecher.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/x-30706-Sud...nsidered-by-Utah-missing-person-investigators

These types of articles give more leverage for the defense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back