Girl Scout warned about danger before CA fatal crash

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
Girl Scout Malia Mailes is being hailed in her hometown of La Cañada Flintridge for her crusade -- and her prescience.

Mailes, a 16-year-old La Cañada High School sophomore, had been warning for months about the safety problems posed by trucks driving downhill on Angeles Crest Highway.
Then on Wednesday, a big rig lost control on the road, barreled through an intersection and smashed into a bookstore, killing two people and injuring 12 others. Now some residents are wondering why more people didn't heed Malia's warnings.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-girlscout3-2009apr03,0,1085428.story

This is a big local story here. I just listened to an interview with this sharp gal. She made an entire power point presentation to the City Council to try and get something done about this intersection.

Girl Scout Malia Mailes is being hailed in her hometown of La Cañada Flintridge for her crusade -- and her prescience.

Mailes, a 16-year-old La Cañada High School sophomore, had been warning for months about the safety problems posed by trucks driving downhill on Angeles Crest Highway.
Then on Wednesday, a big rig lost control on the road, barreled through an intersection and smashed into a bookstore, killing two people and injuring 12 others. Now some residents are wondering why more people didn't heed Malia's warnings.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-girlscout3-2009apr03,0,1085428.story

This is a big local story here. I just listened to an interview with this sharp gal. She made an entire power point presentation to the City Council to try and get something done about this intersection.
I hope this spurs her career; sounds like someone we need in office!!

the girl looked so heartbroken .. poor thing she knew it would happen and no one listened .. i wish people would listen more

I hope this spurs her career; sounds like someone we need in office!!
The interviewer last night told her he hoped she would go on to become President.
Buzz, my understanding is that this intersection serves as an exit to avoid the brake inspection stations. I believe this is used by many of the trucks from Mexico.

As most of the times with the safety of the public, it take a horrible event like this one for someone to notice and do something about it.

I am sure this girl "knows" she did everything she could, but the "powers" that be, did nothing. I hope she goes onto bigger and better things.

Who listens to a kid anyways, not the "power" that be of course, the people who could have "done something" to prevent this.

Proactive "politics" is just not based in reality. As so it seems.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back