FBI Database links long-haul truckers, serial killings

I wonder how the economy will affect the trucker serial kilers. Some of them have probably lost their jobs due to downsizing, losing their own trucks, or layoffs. They might still be out trolling for victims in their own towns with increases in prostitute murders or women in general.

Thanks for posting this. I am wondering if there is also a database about "bad cops". In my college years, my car broke down right after dark along a lonely stretch of interstate. A guardian angel in the form of a man and his young son stopped and ultimately insisted on driving me to the auto repair himself because he did not trust the attitude and demeanor of the Highway Patrolman who stopped - and he let me know in no uncertain terms. On the way there, he explained to me the alarm signals in the officer's conversation. Looking back, the words and where the officer was trying to take the conversation was very suspicious. I was a naive young 19 year old and not very assertive at the time. (That has changed!) Several months later an item in the local newspaper indicated that a CHP officer had been arrested for detaining young women along the interstates near where I went to college. I consider myself very lucky.

Just posting this so that any young girl reading takes note that especially nowadays law enforcement cannot always be trusted, and one should always be very aware and careful.

OhMyGosh! You don't live in Southern Calif do you?! Like in the SD area?

YES! that did happen in SD!!!!!!! By a...............decorated CHP officer......One photo he's receiving top honors,.............the next photo, he's accused of MURDER!!!!:mad:

JMHO
fran

I remember that case, and the bridge named after the victim :( but no, not the same one. It's a different case from about 35 years ago, while I was driving north through central California on I-5, which was barely built at the time and had long stretches of nothing anywhere except the road. And let's not forget CHP Gwaltney in the San Bernardino County area (early 80's). Hopefully this database of the serial killer truckers will lead to another database. Most of LE is noble, but some aren't.

Was the poster Shadowraiths?

Hi Suzi, I just saw your post so I went sleuthing in the COLD CASE forum. The name of the poster was Ihadcabinfever.

They are still a member here :woohoo:, so tomoz I think I'll pop him/her a PM to join us here. It's midnight and I need to hit the hay, but will pop it off before I go to work in the morning.

xox

YES! that did happen in SD!!!!!!! By a...............decorated CHP officer......One photo he's receiving top honors,.............the next photo, he's accused of MURDER!!!!:mad:

JMHO
fran

I remember that case, and the bridge named after the victim :( but no, not the same one. It's a different case from about 35 years ago, while I was driving north through central California on I-5, which was barely built at the time and had long stretches of nothing anywhere except the road. And let's not forget CHP Gwaltney in the San Bernardino County area (early 80's). Hopefully this database of the serial killer truckers will lead to another database. Most of LE is noble, but some aren't.

I live in San Diego... he's infamous around here... his name is Craig Peyer. The victim's name is/was Cara Knott.

http://www.10news.com/news/15188945/detail.html

I was wondering what had happened to Adam LeRoy Lane. I am still convinced that the bodies dumped behind the strip mall in New Britain, CT were done by a trucker driver. Someone would have thought that a truck behind a store was making deliveries and not thought twice. Plus there is the proximity to I-84.

JMHO
fran

Officer
Peye. I just saw it on Forensic files (a repeat) this weekend. Creepy!! There is a local Police officer in Phoenix that is stopping young shapely girls at night who are driving alone, having them pull off to an isolated location and after getting their d.l. he goes to his car and on the speaker tells them to get out of their car and stand in front of the patol car headlights. He makes them turn around and stand there for 10-15 minutes! Then orders them, via his speaker, to get back in their cars. He gives them their ticket and they leave. I know for a fact that this is happening because I was alerted to this story by my son's girlfriend of 3 years! It happened to her in 2007. She took a defensive driving class to have the ticket wiped off her record and when she was at the class she met a young shapely girl who was there for a ticket given to her by the exact same officer who DID THE EXACT SAME THING TO HER! Now what are the chances of that? I surmise that is his m.o. and it's only a matter of time before an innocent young girl is raped and murdered by him. Ala CHP officer Peye.

I have all the information if anyone wants to p.m. me. I don't know exactly what to do about this. I sent the info to one of the local newspapers but never got a response.

Re; the Serial Truckers; my husband was a LH driver when I met him and the stories you say WaltzingMatilda were true 28 years ago so I can only imagine that it is worse nowadays. It is a very convenient occupation for a serial killer. :eek: I know that they used to have two log different log books so that they could drive way over legal hours. If they get stopped they just show the cop the appropriate one at the time. Drugs and sex rampant too so I imagine the drivers have gotten much more sophisticated in 28 years. Violence has gotten more sophisticated too.

In the late 70's I had a short interaction with a big rig trucker that left me wondering as to his intent.

Was driving on a busy Interstate when the car started to have trouble maintaining speed. It was a dark stretch of road so kept chugging along in the far right lane with the hopes of making it to the lighted toll area.

I did notice that a truck stayed traveling behind me, partly because it made me feel safe. Got to where I could see the lights of the toll area but the car wasn't going to make it so signaled & pulled over into the breakdown lane. The trucker, who I'm still feeling okay with, doesn't pull up behind or further up in front but rather pulls his rig in to the front diagonally blocking both the car & view of the toll.

Having had one mean arse father....instinct kicked in and I didn't even wait for the guy to exit, just ran around the back of truck and headed to the tolls yelling so to draw attention. lol

Have no idea if his intentions were wrong but when I read stories about people gone missing after their car breaks down....I think of him and how he managed to make an isolated area while in a populated one.[/quo
te]

This makes me think of Tammy Zywicki (sp) who was murdered and dumped off the interestate on her way back to Grinnell college in Iowa. I don't recall if her car was broken down or if they don't know why she pulled over.

Thank goodness you listened to your instincts! You'll probably never know but you may have saved your life. Sure seems like an odd way to pull over. I can't see most truck drivers pulling over to help by positioning their truck like that!

My dad is a trucker who owns his own rig. I have no contact with him any longer but I can comment on a few things I remember from when I was a kid......

A truck stop with a sign stating 'Free Coffee for Truckers' means that prostitutes are available on premise. I don't know if this is still done as I haven't visited a truck stop in years. The large ones have rooms upstairs for this purpose. According to my mom he indulged in this behavior and came home with a case of crabs once. Showers are also available for truckers with sleeper trucks.

Drugs are quite commonly used in the industry. Bennie pills (some type of speed) were his drug of choice. He slipped on into my mom's iced tea once and she felt like she would die her heart was racing so fast. (She is a tee totaler. He is a hellion.) I would imagine stimulants like speed and cocaine are available at truck stops also.

Truckers have their favorite stops along their routes and network with other trucker friends to coincide their stops and 'visit'. Back in the days of the C B radios they would communicate to other truckers if a smoky was ahead or an accident with instructions for an alternate route if available. They look out for each other.

They are required to keep logs and if they aren't kept up a fine is issued at inspection stations. They is a limit to the number of hours allowed to be driven between breaks for safety reasons. If all this information isn't logged properly, it is assumed the trucker has been fudging in his logs and driving more hours than allowed. Many drivers do this in order to meet their deadline although it is illegal.

My dad had a partner sometimes for long runs up north over the weekend. They took turns sleeping while the other one drove. This was to insure that the trip began on Friday night and ended on Sunday. He drove from Alabama to points in the midwest, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio etc. We loved these weekends and my mom would pack up my brother and me and we'd drive to FL for a mini vacation without him knowing. teehee. He was mean and abusive to us so when he left we'd shout WOOHOO! Let's go have some fun but we had to keep it secret or it would be a knock down drag out when he found out.

It is a tough life but I think some people have driving in their veins and enjoy the camaraderie with fellow truckers. It suited my Dad perfectly because he was not a family man. My mom finally divorced him thank goodness.

I have nothing against truckers, just sharing what it was like being that truckers daughter while growing up.

waltzingmatilda- Thanks for sharing! I have a truckdriver question for you! Do you know of any reason a truck driver would have the zipper area/crotch of all his jeans cut out? I would assume maybe to pee easily or for scrotal comfort, but the person in question was very defensive when the jeans were found by his new wife. It just sounds odd and suspicious. Is this for truckstop quickies? Have you have heard of truckers doing this?

laini, that's WEIRD to say the least! I mean, say he needs to hop out and fill up with diesel or drop off the load of whatever he is hauling. He HAS to get out of the truck at some point. Does he just walk around with ...um... it....hanging out? Or his undies hanging out? Or maybe he always wears a shirt long enough to cover it up? Seems like if he was uncomfortable in that special area of his body that he'd just get a larger pair of jeans or wear sweats.

And if he was defensive when these kind of jeans were "discovered" by his new wife I believe I'd dig around and see what else he could be hiding. Maybe she needs to run a background check on him. Always err on the side of caution imo.

waltzingmatilda- Thanks for sharing! I have a truckdriver question for you! Do you know of any reason a truck driver would have the zipper area/crotch of all his jeans cut out? I would assume maybe to pee easily or for scrotal comfort, but the person in question was very defensive when the jeans were found by his new wife. It just sounds odd and suspicious. Is this for truckstop quickies? Have you have heard of truckers doing this?

Many truckers pee in a bottle rather than stopping and wasting time using a public restroom... since it's hard to find parking for an 18 wheeler (and like I said waste precious time).

When you do this... it seems it would be much easier to have free access than to unbelt, unbutton, unzip and then pull your pants down to you knees... while driving.

This may be the explanation.

I have a daughter who lives a not so respectful life. She has worked as a prostitute at a truck stop and I have learned a little about what she goes through.
From my understanding the girls that work there have safe houses which mean they find a driver they are comfortable with and use his CB to talk, hide in his truck from the police or tell him when they have a problem with another trucker.
I can see one of these men easily killing the girls and getting away with it. The girls tend to trust them and let down their guards with them. I hope that law enforcement has interviewed other girls that work the truck stops... It's amazing what my daughter tells me and I'm sure some of the other girls can be helpful.

Another explanation may be that he had a (or many) female riders and got oral sex while driving. Easy access you could say. May not be the reason but it's a possibility.

I was wondering what had happened to Adam LeRoy Lane. I am still convinced that the bodies dumped behind the strip mall in New Britain, CT were done by a trucker driver. Someone would have thought that a truck behind a store was making deliveries and not thought twice. Plus there is the proximity to I-84.

The incident I posted of, while 20 years earlier, was at the other end of I-84, eastbound near Sturbridge tolls. I doubt anyone driving by was thinking it strange for a trucker to help out with a disabled car. So you have convinced me that a trucker was involved with those bodies being dumped behind the strip mall.

A few years ago (2005?) I met a trucker who assisted me when my U-Haul truck broke down. He told me that everything has changed in the industry. The speeds are monitored by computer and the truck literally shuts down when the truck has reached its daily quota of drive hours. Anyone have any more information on this?

I never knew of my Dad's pants having the crotch cut out but I do know for a fact that he pee's in a bottle while driving in order to stay on schedule.
As another poster suggested, it could be for purposes of receiving oral sex. It was not unusal for Mom to find 'clues' that my Dad was with other women while on trips and even traveled with some in his cab. UGH! I remember toward the end of their marriage when he came home from a trip, drank a 6 pack and passed out on the bed, she discovered his knees and elbows were red like carpet burns. She packed our bags, started the car and told me to go wait but I didn't go right then because I didn't want to leave her alone with him in case he woke up. She pinned the bed sheet around him. The last thing I saw as I was leaving to get into the car was my mom flogging him with a broom while he was pinned under the sheets! :eek: She is a fiesty little woman but I guess she felt she had to be. She is doing well now. I'm glad she got out and doesn't have to put up with such things in her senior years.:)

It comes as no surprise to me that some serial killers pick truck driving as a profession. Just like a pedophile may pick a profession that puts them around vulnerable children and they too disguise their depravity under the pretense of their profession.

I actually feel very sorry for the millions of legitimate truck drivers all across America that do their jobs professionally, taking risk that so many of us are not willing to make, just to see that our goods are to us on time and in good shape.

While the FBI says we have around 50 serial killers a year the stigma seems to attach to truck drivers in general and for that I truly feel sorry for the great ones out there that do not break laws but in many instances actually help law enforcement nab criminals. The police relies on the eyes and ears of the truckers and they have helped to solve many crimes. No longer are truckers being truckers because they cant do anything else. Many of them have college degrees and have high paying trucking jobs now and more and more due to terrorism, both foreign and domestic, they have to have more and more knowledge than ever before. These motley few who use trucking as a method for murder tarnishes the true and dedicated truck driver just by having the same profession. That imo, is a tragedy.

From what I have read most of these serial killers who are truckers work for an independent outfit where the rules of expectation aren't as tight. Most legitimate and respected companies do not allow the driver to have anyone accompany them in the cab as they deliver their goods. They aren't allowed to pick anyone up or it is an automatic dismissal. The serial killer trucker picks a company with less structure, less rules and more leeways.

The very fact that these type of serial killers are out there being in transit from state to state and continuously stopping at truck stops gives them an opening to pick up their next victim. They know the deal and they pick those victims thinking they will not be missed by their friends or families. They know that prostitutes hang around these places waiting for the next John, although LE has tried to deter that in the recent years but if there is a will there is a way and these perverts know it.

Imo these type of serial killers are similar to Gary Ridgeway except they are nomadic. He picked the most vulnerable of society, those in his depraved and evil mind he felt had no worth. So these killers who drives trucks mostly do the same and the highway becomes their killing and disposing fields. They know they have no link to the victim and they move on to some other unsuspecting victim in another town or another state.

imo

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/apr/07/trucker-fiance-admit-killing-woman-no-link-series-/

Trucker, fiancée admit killing woman; no link to series of deaths
Lawrence Buser, Memphis Commercial Appeal
Originally published 08:49 a.m., April 7, 2009
Updated 08:49 a.m., April 7, 2009

MEMPHIS — When truck driver Steven Ray Kennedy and his fiancée were arrested after attacking a prostitute in 2006 at an Indiana truck stop, authorities thought they might be on to a pair of serial killers.

As they were questioned by police in Crown Point, Ind., Kennedy’s fiancée, Clara Diane Lincks, said that they had killed a woman at a Memphis truck stop and dumped her body in Mississippi.

Although links to a dozen or so similar killings in surrounding states never materialized, Kennedy and Lincks pleaded guilty Monday to the Memphis killing of Misty ‘Paradise’ Nelson, 27.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back