GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops, sorry. I was just re-posting what someone else had posted a few days ago. I'll remember that for future reference. Thanks for letting me know.

No need to apologize, I am not mod, maybe it doesn't violate any rules, I just know they are quite strict!

Your contribution was really good. Probably the best post in this thread to date. I follow the telegraph every day and while many that post there are interested in the case it just doesn't lend itself towards free discussion like this site does. BTW I posted your great link on the telegraph site, I am really not pleased about the treatment of McDaniel. The DA and Macon PD may not read this site but they likely do monitor the Telegraph.

This is a big time story for Macon, recently finished reading the book about Anjette Lyles and this story seems like the biggest thing to hit this town since then.

WoW thanks for link..

First word out of McD's mouth.. "Lauren WAS my neighbor!.." and this is BEFORE Lauren is thought to be dead.. This is when they are looking for her!

The reporter asked, "Do (or did, not sure) you know the person that was living here?" later, she asked if he knew of any enemies she might've had.

As was mentioned ^above^ about McD's statements about having ever met Lauren's family.. I literally cringed when I heard what he was saying, that wave of something not being right that ends up stuck in the pit of your stomach..

It just doesn't add up when we already know just literally weeks ago that McD was at Laurens graduation party with her family.. The dad even stated this in a report just the other day..as well as in the same article Lauren's dad said he had met SM on a few different occasions.. So for McD when asked did he know Lauren's family from MD, instead of saying that he had as recently as less than a month ago been at the party that was being hosted by her family..

IMO to distance himself from Lauren he instead relayed of a meeting of Lauren's parents literally years ago as he trailed off into absolute irrelevant and unusually over detailed story about Lauren's "brown dog" that he watched or heard get hit by a car.. I found it really odd at the minute detail that he went into into telling this obviously irrelevant story when asked if he knew Lauren's family..

As I said IMO attempting to put further distance between he and Lauren..

As was mentioned ^above^ about McD's statements about having ever met Lauren's family.. I literally cringed when I heard what he was saying, that wave of something not being right that ends up stuck in the pit of your stomach..

It just doesn't add up when we already know just literally weeks ago that McD was at Laurens graduation party with her family.. The dad even stated this in a report just the other day..as well as in the same article Lauren's dad said he had met SM on a few different occasions.. So for McD when asked did he know Lauren's family from MD, instead of saying that he had as recently as less than a month ago been at the party that was being hosted by her family..

IMO to distance himself from Lauren he instead relayed of a meeting of Lauren's parents literally years ago as he trailed off into absolute irrelevant and unusually over detailed story about Lauren's "brown dog" that he watched or heard get hit by a car.. I found it really odd at the minute detail that he went into into telling this obviously irrelevant story when asked if he knew Lauren's family..

As I said IMO attempting to put further distance between he and Lauren..

i kinda agree. i mean why do into minute details? just answer the question. and if he was so upset why was he so eager to talk? i'm not saying he's guilty, because honestly i have no idea. but he is very very strange.

The reporter asked, "Do (or did, not sure) you know the person that was living here?" later, she asked if he knew of any enemies she might've had.

The difference is that the reporter already had knowledge of the body being found(she says near Laurens car).. But SM was still 5minutes away from learning a body was even found on the property(atleast that's what he states when the reporter breaks the news to him about the body.. According to him he had no knowledge of a body found)..

So, IMO that makes a huge difference.. The reporter, as did everyone who knew of the body being found on property, correctly assumed of course that it was Lauren.. She already knew this at the time she began the interview, so naturally with a dead body found near Lauren's car and believing it to be Laurens body she would speak of Lauren in past tense..

McD on the other hand states he had zero knowledge of any body being found whatsoever until this reporter tells him later in this interview.. Therefor just as he, himself states "we just are still looking for her, we don't know where she is.." combined with no knowledge of a body being found and it doesn't make sense that he right out of the shoot is speaking about Lauren in past tense...jmo, tho!

i kinda agree. i mean why do into minute details? just answer the question. and if he was so upset why was he so eager to talk? i'm not saying he's guilty, because honestly i have no idea. but he is very very strange.

These are emotional moments. He was relating stories that had a strong emotional component. I don't know either if he's guilty. I am just suggesting some alternative explanations.

Yep, my thoughts too.

The thing that I don't understand, is that he seems to know quite a bit about her, but didn't realize that she had been missing for 5 days. Most people in apartment living, get to know the comings and goings of their neighbors, hearing doors shut, and other sounds. Those two were the only ones in that particular complex, correct?

The one thing about McD that stands out the most for me is that he was LG's only neighbor but she didn't tell him about the attempted break-in. He read the e-mail where she told a friend about it, after she disappeared. Being her only neighbor and a male, it seems that LG would want McD, someone she had known a few years, to be aware of the situation so he could keep an eye out for her. Although she may not have viewed him in the role of a protector because of his physical stature, it would have given her peace of mind knowing someone was nearby...someone who could call the police if need be. As I said earlier, the only reason she wouldn't tell McD about the attempted break-in, that I can imagine, is that she did not trust him and even suspected that he was the one trying to enter her apartment.

I think whoever killed LG has done this before...to have left no apparent evidence. He was no amateur and must have premeditated the crime. The whole thing just seems so surreal - like something you'd read in a crime novel or see at a movie theater. I think he'd been watching LG for some time. He probably gained access to her apartment without her knowledge and crept up behind her. Either he hit her on the head to render her unconscious or he grabbed her in a strangle hold. Since KG knew self-defense, though, I would think she'd be able to fight her way out of a strangle hold, or at least fight enough to leave a sign of a struggle. He also might have used chloroform or a dart gun to render her unconscious.

Someone mentioned earlier that LG may have been in the shower when her assailant entered the apartment. That would've been convenient for the killer...if he crept up behind her and rendered her unconscious with a blow to the head, with chloroform, or with a tranquilizer dart. Then he would not need to move the body to dismember her. I think LG's killer is a hunter...he was experienced at stalking his prey, moving in undetected for the strike, and dismembering the body. JMO

74 articles of forensic evidence that have been sent to the FBI and will have results within just a couple of days IMO is very promising!!*

I think Chief Burns is being honest yet hopeful with his comment about what results are yielded from this forensic *evidence and that if those results are whT they are hoping them to show, combined with the evidence they already have would give them the full house poker hand.. Leading to charging someone..

But if those pieces of evidence do not yield what it is that they are hoping for that correlate with evidence that they already have.. Then they will have to start moving the investigation in a different direction..

I believe that is his honest hope and opinion as well as it is how an investigation unfolds.. You go where any evidence found leads you, many times it leads to a dead end and sometimes it even works to help clear individuals so that they can continue moving the focus from the inside out of the scope of the investigation.. I don't believe anyone is thinking about this case being cold.. Especially with 74 pieces of forensic evidence tested by FBI with results literally hours away.. Those results could answer everything they need.. If not they move on..thats SOP..

Now what would be worrisome would be if they didn't operate the investigation this way and instead of moving on to other possibilities when the results didn't corroborate what they'd expected it to or who they expected it to.. If instead of moving on they were determined to keep digging and determined to stay stuck with their focus on that one person when evidence was no longer pointing there.. That would be worrisome.. But that's not the case,, Burns says if that happens to be the case then they would move away in a different direction..

I'm very hopeful as to what the results will tell or lead the investigators toward.. Hopefully justice and closure for Laurens loved one's, including her two younger sisters who Im sure lost not only *advertiser censored*Sister in Lauren, but an unbelievable role
Model as well..

The difference is that the reporter already had knowledge of the body being found(she says near Laurens car).. But SM was still 5minutes away from learning a body was even found on the property(atleast that's what he states when the reporter breaks the news to him about the body.. According to him he had no knowledge of a body found)..

So, IMO that makes a huge difference.. The reporter, as did everyone who knew of the body being found on property, correctly assumed of course that it was Lauren.. She already knew this at the time she began the interview, so naturally with a dead body found near Lauren's car and believing it to be Laurens body she would speak of Lauren in past tense..

McD on the other hand states he had zero knowledge of any body being found whatsoever until this reporter tells him later in this interview.. Therefor just as he, himself states "we just are still looking for her, we don't know where she is.." combined with no knowledge of a body being found and it doesn't make sense that he right out of the shoot is speaking about Lauren in past tense...jmo, tho!

Sure, understood. My idea was that in conversation we often follow others' leads as far as verb tense.

One thing I wanted to mention was about about the email (which we haven't been able to read it as far as I know). And some have mentioned it possibly being written by the killer. I find the word "hoodlums" kind of telling. McD uses the term when speaking to the reporter, and it seems a great way to try and throw investigators off the trail seeing as how Macon is notorious for hoodlum type crimes. Whether McD paraphrased or that was actually what was written, it seems a bit of misdirection to me.

Also, my friend who was in Law School with McD said he was indeed a weird guy, but that he would never have thought him capable of such a crime and didn't believe he could've done it. My response was that I don't think anyone seems capable of such a crime. Who do you know that you would say "oh yeah, of course he did it!" It's an inhuman thing, and most people would be shocked no matter who the killer turns out to be.

Hello Everyone,
I have been following your posts from page one. I do not live in Macon but have three friends who live there and were close friends of Lauren. I have been in contact with them frequently discussing the possibilities of what happened to Lauren. I was aware of the search for Lauren prior to the horrific outcome.
We were hoping and praying for her safe return.
And then her body was found.
Needless to say, we are heartbroken.

One of my three Macon friends went to high school with Stephen McDaniel:
McD did not have a lot of friends; he was a loner. He did wear chain mail and grew exceptionally long fingernails. Overall, McD was an unusual sort of guy in high school. Nice enough and quiet, but strange.

According to recent articles:
As an adult law student, McD secretly entered two of his neighbor’s apartments and stole personal items. He kept these personal items in his apartment which were recently discovered by the police.
McD also attended Lauren’s graduation party uninvited. Lauren’s family and another family gave the party after May 14th law school graduation. McD showed up and each of the families thought the other had invited him until they discussed it and realized neither had. The party venue location required transportation; it was not in their apartment vicinity where a person would just happen in.

As for McD’s recorded interview at the apartment grounds – I am dubious of the authenticity. I am reminded of Susan Smith’s histrionics when her 3 children went missing…Drowned in a car at the hand of their own mother.

Please know that I am about to share a theory of what happened based on some facts and some plain old logic, which, BTW, was the missing link in the Casey Anthony verdict.

THEORY:
Here you have McD who is somewhat of an introvert and possibly a social misfit with an aptitude for surreptitious criminal behavior who is living next door to a gorgeous, popular, outgoing young lady who has an active social life. McD watches her coming and going. He becomes infatuated with Lauren, and over time, the infatuation develops into an obsession. At night, as they go to sleep, only the wall of the apartment separates her from him. As he falls asleep at night he thinks of her then possibly one day makes a pass at Lauren or maybe he just dreams of it. She isn’t interested in McD and he knows it.

The ‘hidden key’ to her apartment is known to Lauren’s friends as well as to McD.
On Saturday night, before that last email was sent which was around 10:30, McD enters her apartment using the hidden key OR sees her outside and invites her in to his apartment under some pretense. If he entered using the hidden key, the element of surprise would have caught Lauren off guard which would have given advantage to McD.

Whichever or whatever the scenario, I doubt he approached Lauren with the intention to kill her. However, when she rejected his affection, his obsession overcame him. In the process of her rejection of him, one thing led to the next which escalated with Lauren trying to escape for her life, and he overpowered her. With anger intent or by accident, he killed Lauren. At this juncture, McD is presented with a completely different and unexpected problem. She is dead. What now? As unthinkable as it is, his solution was to eliminate the body which means there is a ‘missing person’ and not a murder. He knew it would be a lot easier to hide parts of a body rather than a whole person. Plus, this would make identification much more difficult as well as destroy evidence on her body. Whether it was her apartment bathtub or his, (I think it was his) he dismembered her for one reason: to get rid of her body so he would not get caught. Obviously, he did a good job of hiding the body parts since they have yet to be found. After he had made one or more trips to dispose of the body parts, he had the torso to deal with. Knowing that the trash pick up was on Thursday morning, he placed the torso in the trash can outside the apartment building on one of the nights prior to Thursday morning, knowing that the evidence would be gone once the Thursday morning trash truck arrived and hauled it to the dump.

McD attempted to secure his plan for Lauren to be classified as a ‘missing person’ who was taken by someone who had broken into her apartment. This is precisely why, after the murder, he wrote the email from her computer stating that “Macon Hoodlums tried to break in…”

McD’s plan to make Lauren a missing person would have been successful except her friends came looking for her one day too early. They came on Wednesday rather than Thursday and that is what changed the course of this crime.

This scenario is my theory to be considered in whole, part, or not, but never as fact. until proven otherwise!

There was a lot of evidence collected at the crime scene.
Once it is analyzed in Quantico the truth will be known.

Welcome Sandstorm, thanks for sharing all that. I would have to say I think you are pretty spot on. The only thing I might disagree with you on is that I think it's possible he did have the intent. But that may never come to light.

I occasionally check for cases that are close to my location, but WOW this one takes the cake. How horrible and tragic. I am curious to see whether McD has any medical history or diagnosis that may be pertinent to how he is acting. I don't think speculation in that way is completely allowed, but that interview pinged some concerns in my mind even down to little details people are finding suspicious (like, minute details about seemingly irrelevant stories).

Hopefully, the pieces of evidence collected lay the matter to rest completely and Lauren and her family can have peace and justice.

Welcome Sandstorm, great first post.

Your theory is pretty much the way I view what could have happened as well. I would add a couple of other things too. If Lauren were in the shower, would he have been able to hear that in his apartment? I remember long ago when we lived in an apartment you could hear water running in the pipes next door. Or I think he would wait until he thought she was asleep.

Also, regarding the timing. He had obviously known Lauren for a couple of years correct? She was moving to ATL that very week. If he had been fantasizing about her his chances to fulfill them were dwindling. He had the perfect opportunity, they were the only two tennants, there would be no one else to hear a possible disturbance or see him moving things out of the apartment. McD as a law student would have particularly good insight into crime scene evidence.

I wonder what the "personal" items were that he stole from the other apartments? Are we talking panties and bras?

Hello Everyone,
I have been following your posts from page one. I do not live in Macon but have three friends who live there and were close friends of Lauren. I have been in contact with them frequently discussing the possibilities of what happened to Lauren. I was aware of the search for Lauren prior to the horrific outcome.
We were hoping and praying for her safe return.
And then her body was found.
Needless to say, we are heartbroken.

One of my three Macon friends went to high school with Stephen McDaniel:
McD did not have a lot of friends; he was a loner. He did wear chain mail and grew exceptionally long fingernails. Overall, McD was an unusual sort of guy in high school. Nice enough and quiet, but strange.

According to recent articles:
As an adult law student, McD secretly entered two of his neighbor’s apartments and stole personal items. He kept these personal items in his apartment which were recently discovered by the police.
McD also attended Lauren’s graduation party uninvited. Lauren’s family and another family gave the party after May 14th law school graduation. McD showed up and each of the families thought the other had invited him until they discussed it and realized neither had. The party venue location required transportation; it was not in their apartment vicinity where a person would just happen in.

As for McD’s recorded interview at the apartment grounds – I am dubious of the authenticity. I am reminded of Susan Smith’s histrionics when her 3 children went missing…Drowned in a car at the hand of their own mother.

Please know that I am about to share a theory of what happened based on some facts and some plain old logic, which, BTW, was the missing link in the Casey Anthony verdict.

THEORY:
Here you have McD who is somewhat of an introvert and possibly a social misfit with an aptitude for surreptitious criminal behavior who is living next door to a gorgeous, popular, outgoing young lady who has an active social life. McD watches her coming and going. He becomes infatuated with Lauren, and over time, the infatuation develops into an obsession. At night, as they go to sleep, only the wall of the apartment separates her from him. As he falls asleep at night he thinks of her then possibly one day makes a pass at Lauren or maybe he just dreams of it. She isn’t interested in McD and he knows it.

The ‘hidden key’ to her apartment is known to Lauren’s friends as well as to McD.
On Saturday night, before that last email was sent which was around 10:30, McD enters her apartment using the hidden key OR sees her outside and invites her in to his apartment under some pretense. If he entered using the hidden key, the element of surprise would have caught Lauren off guard which would have given advantage to McD.

Whichever or whatever the scenario, I doubt he approached Lauren with the intention to kill her. However, when she rejected his affection, his obsession overcame him. In the process of her rejection of him, one thing led to the next which escalated with Lauren trying to escape for her life, and he overpowered her. With anger intent or by accident, he killed Lauren. At this juncture, McD is prese
nted with a completely different and unexpected problem. She is dead. What now? As unthinkable as it is, his solution was to eliminate the body which means there is a ‘missing person’ and not a murder. He knew it would be a lot easier to hide parts of a body rather than a whole person. Plus, this would make identification much more difficult as well as destroy evidence on her body. Whether it was her apartment bathtub or his, (I think it was his) he dismembered her for one reason: to get rid of her body so he would not get caught. Obviously, he did a good job of hiding the body parts since they have yet to be found. After he had made one or more trips to dispose of the body parts, he had the torso to deal with. Knowing that the trash pick up was on Thursday morning, he placed the torso in the trash can outside the apartment building on one of the nights prior to Thursday morning, knowing that the evidence would be gone once the Thursday morning trash truck arrived and hauled it to the dump.

McD attempted to secure his plan for Lauren to be classified as a ‘missing person’ who was taken by someone who had broken into her apartment. This is precisely why, after the murder, he wrote the email from her computer stating that “Macon Hoodlums tried to break in…”

McD’s plan to make Lauren a missing person would have been successful except her friends came looking for her one day too early. They came on Wednesday rather than Thursday and that is what changed the course of this crime.

This scenario is my theory to be considered in whole, part, or not, but never as fact. until proven otherwise!

There was a lot of evidence collected at the crime scene.
Once it is analyzed in Quantico the truth will be known.

quick question: Is "hoodlums" a common word in Macon vocabulary? I have to admit that the first time I saw it written, I giggled because I haven't heard that word actually used before -only read it in various 19th- or 20th-century American stories! It sounded so quaint and contrived that I thought the email must be suspect. But is that something that we could reasonably expect LG, or someone like her, to write? What about the other words or syntax used in the email - it might help to know if they were typical of LG. I know we have discussed whether it made sense that she would've sent such an email at all, but maybe the linguistics are something concrete that could be used to determine authorship.

quick question: Is "hoodlums" a common word in Macon vocabulary?

Very common

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member