2012.02.07 - 911 Tapes Released

This woman ultimately condemned those boys to die. She was SO concerned and consumed with JP and HIS rights that she ignored those boys right to live.

I'm sorry for being judgmental, but she started this tragic ball rolling toward those two innocent boys.

When ANYONE is intent on protecting the "rights" of a suspected murderer versus the rights of innocent children to live there can be no defense of their intent.

You are so right. Here we are scrutinizing the actions/reactions of two folks low on the totem pole. When the whole situation was created by much higher paid folks that made IMO very poor executive decisions resulting in an impossible situation for those two workers. One of them could have been easily killed too.
Kind of follows a typical failed project fiasco . Panic & hysteria, search for the guilty and punishment of the innocent.

I do agree. Although the 911 guy was deplorable (in my opinion), he is the low man on the totem pole. The truth is people way up higher dropped the ball too. But as life goes :banghead: it is the lowest guy that is going to get it the worst...

I'm going to go ahead and be completely honest here, even though it doesn't make me the bigger person. If I was in that situation (even with another person) and I smelled gas, there is no way I would go into the house. No way. I'd feel bad about it for the rest of my life, but my own family would come first. I dare say that trained fire-fighters would be reluctant to enter a house if they thought they were walking into a gasoline explosion.

You are right. Dead heroes are no comfort to your family. Nobody expects average working folks to react like they have some type of commando training.
However, if your own child was in there, you probably would kick in the door.

Here is what I don't understand. The SW apparently felt sufficiently endangered to move her car out of the driveway when she smell gasoline. She knew something bad could very well happen. I would have been screaming to have someone there NOW! Not that it may have made a difference at that point.
The one thing that haunts me, and I may have gotten it wrong, was hearing the sister say something about getting an email that morning from Josh and not being really concerned. I guess she got 4 emails and it was the last one that caused her to call 911? I can't help but wish she had called 911 after the first one raised a red flag.

You are right. Dead heroes are no comfort to your family. Nobody expects average working folks to react like they have some type of commando training.

You are right on; don't you just know that the children's good grandfather would have kicked that door down in a heartbeat?

(BBM)
Here is what I don't understand. The SW apparently felt sufficiently endangered to move her car out of the driveway when she smell gasoline. She knew something bad could very well happen. I would have been screaming to have someone there NOW! Not that it may have made a difference at that point.
The one thing that haunts me, and I may have gotten it wrong, was hearing the sister say something about getting an email that morning from Josh and not being really concerned. I guess she got 4 emails and it was the last one that caused her to call 911? I can't help but wish she had called 911 after the first one raised a red flag.

She received 4 emails, and yes, I'd like to know the timing of each of them...

ETA:

Dispatcher: "What else did the e-mails say?"

Sister: "(crying)"

Dispatcher: "Alina, I need you to calm down, okay? What else did the e-mails say?"

Sister: "Nothing. He just... He just... He sent several e-mails saying stuff about how to handle his properties and how to handle his utilities. I don't know. It was just an e-mail"

Dispatcher: "Okay."

Sister: "They start a while ago. I didn't think anything of it because there was some weird e-mail that came in this morning that I dismissed and it didn't say anything from him. It was just some sort of forward or something."

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top_stories/story/911-recording-released-from-Josh-Powells-worried/W9bZsNdV2E6AG7HpJxfE8Q.cspx

Oh, I agree with you Basmat but I think there has to be safety-checks in place all along the way - at least until judges become more than human and less capable of making mistakes or become mindreaders. While I'd like to see serious changes myself within this p-poor system, I'm still not content to leave it all up to the discretion of one judge. Every agency involved with children needs to put safety mechanisms in place IMO.
JMO~

I must be dense. :)

I am going under the assumption (and yes I know that "*advertiser censored*=u=me") that this "judge" dropped the ball BIG time.

Those pics from last Wednesday with JP and his hollow and dead eyes were scary enough last Wednesday.

They became even scarier when he murdered his kids on Sunday.

Seriously....that judge was in the courtroom. IF she was paying an ounce of attention at all, she would have seen those DEAD eyes of JP.

She SHOULD have seen the evil emanating from those dead eyes that indicated he was just forming his plan to take those two boys out of this life.

I won't say more about myself and premonitions I have because I'll be criticized or it.

I'm curious why the CPS lady did not know the address to which she just drove to ... 2 min to find the address??

They ought to fire that male 911 Op! He asked way to many questions that didn't matter and wasted too much time!

This woman ultimately condemned those boys to die. She was SO concerned and consumed with JP and HIS rights that she ignored those boys right to live.

I'm sorry for being judgmental, but she started this tragic ball rolling toward those two innocent boys.

When ANYONE is intent on protecting the "rights" of a suspected murderer versus the rights of innocent children to live there can be no defense of their intent.

The Judge probably just followed the current law. Also we do not know if the other agencies brought up any objections. I do not think blame can be put solely on one person.

My bolding

But she did tell him, and she told him before she even got to the part about her car. She wasn't screaming but she did tell him very early in the call that she was shocked and needed someone there right away. Perhaps she thought remaining calm was best.

SOCIAL WORKER: I'm sorry, just a minute. Let me get in my car and see if I can find it. Nothing like this has ever happened before in these visitations, so, I'm really shocked and I can hear one of the kids crying but he still wouldn't let me in. OK, it is one, uh, one ... Oh, just a minute I have it here. You can't find me by GPS?
911 OPERATOR: No.
SOCIAL WORKER: OK, it is — I still can't find it. But I think I need help right away. He's on a very short leash with DSHS, and CPS has been involved. And this is the craziest thing. He looked right at me and closed the door. Are you there?
911 OPERATOR: Yes ma'am, I'm just waiting to know where you are.
SOCIAL WORKER: OK. It's 8119 189th St. Court East, Puyallup, 98375. And I'd like to pull out of the driveway because I smell gasoline and he won't let me in.

Not to go to far off topic here, but I have kicked in a door to rescue a stray cat.

And don't regret it. The cat was saved. I don't understand humans who won't do the same for other humans.

And by that I mean, the nasty 911 person who wasted nearly 7 minutes being a snide SOB.

I agree that SOME 911 operators are for lack of a better word, antagonistic during some calls.

I was in a position a year or so ago to have to call 911 because my mother told me she was going to kill herself. I don't live anywhere close to her. When I called 911 in her town I was blown off.

As hard as this is to believe, they told me she was an adult woman and could make her own decisions.

I tried my best to explain that she has severe mental problems and got what amounted to "have a nice evening and don't call us back" approach.

Eventually, two hours later LE showed up to check on her, and since she's manipulative, as so many mentally ill people are, she convinced them that I was the one causing problems.

I got a phone call back from 911 or someone in LE in her town threatening me with arrest if I ever called them again. And also that I would be billed for any further responses to her address.

Unbelievable. But proves that 911 is NOT all that some people believe it to be.

That's terrible on so many levels I can't even qualify it. I'm sorry that you had to go through that - I can't imagine how helpless you must have felt! Unbelievable.

I must be dense. :)

I am going under the assumption (and yes I know that "*advertiser censored*=u=me") that this "judge" dropped the ball BIG time.

Those pics from last Wednesday with JP and his hollow and dead eyes were scary enough last Wednesday.

They became even scarier when he murdered his kids on Sunday.

Seriously....that judge was in the courtroom. IF she was paying an ounce of attention at all, she would have seen those DEAD eyes of JP.

She SHOULD have seen the evil emanating from those dead eyes that indicated he was just forming his plan to take those two boys out of this life.

I won't say more about myself and premonitions I have because I'll be criticized or it.

You're far from dense Basmat! I think we just see it differently (and that's okay). While we as parents or careproviders of children need to learn to hone in on and use our gut instincts when it comes to the safety of our children, a judge is not entirely free to do so. They have to follow the law and abide by guidelines AND they depend very heavily on the word/evaluations of any/all therapists', GAL's, and caseworkers involved in these sort of cases. I don't think we want judges to base thier "subjective" decisions by the look on someone's face or in their eyes - JMO~

Oh, I agree with you Basmat but I think there has to be safety-checks in place all along the way - at least until judges become more than human and less capable of making mistakes or become mindreaders. While I'd like to see serious changes myself within this p-poor system, I'm still not content to leave it all up to the discretion of one judge. Every agency involved with children needs to put safety mechanisms in place IMO.
JMO~

The "if only" this had been done will never stop. If ONLY this judge had not been so consumed with with the *advertiser censored*'s right to keep seeing his kids, they would still be alive.

I am beyond sad and devastated.

I do want the Judge to step down.[/B] She ultimately had the power to directly affect the lives of these boys, and she could be threatening for other families in the near or distant future.

As do I. She should step down. She has blood on her hands and can never be trusted again in any other case.

(BBM)
The "if only" this had been done will never stop. If ONLY this judge had not been so consumed with with the *advertiser censored*'s right to keep seeing his kids, they would still be alive.

I am beyond sad and devastated.

I know... :hug:

OLYMPIA, Wash. - A state senator says police in Utah sent a "warning" to Washington state authorities about the welfare of Josh Powell's two young sons several days before he killed them and himself in an inferno.

State Sen. Pam Roach, R-Auburn, says the information was sent to the state Department of Social and Health Services on Feb. 1, "at a time when something maybe could have been done to prevent what eventually did occur."

She says she has formally requested a copy of the information that was forwarded to DSHS.

“It appears DSHS was forewarned about information regarding Joshua Powell and the treatment of his boys,” said Roach. "DSHS needs to come clean with what they knew. Having information pertinent to the welfare of the Powell children, and not acting on it, may have actually contributed to their deaths."

A statement released by the West Valley City, Utah, police on Feb. 1 said that detectives had "discovered information specifically related to their (Powell) children's welfare," but it did not say what the information was.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...S-about-welfare-of-Powell-sons-139012979.html

I want to know what the knew and if they passed the info on to the supervisor they sent to the house. Do they let "contractors" know details about the parents? Would they have warned her if this visit could have potentially more dangerous (we know it was now but did they send in this poor woman with less then a warning if they had one). I am not sure how the system works but if someone knew and didn't even warn the poor lady they should be fired. Also did the judge know this or was it just CPS? I have all sorts of questions now because they might have had info that would have kept the kids away from him on that day!

This sister of his was one of his major enablers UNTIL she felt her brother was in danger.

That was the ONLY reason she bothered to call 911. NOT because the boys were in danger. She sickens me.

FWIW, a few weeks ago, I babysat my 3 small grandchildren for the weekend in their house in another state. They don't have a land line. Just as their parents were leaving, I happened to realize I did not know their address. I had to have my daughter write it down for me, along with the nearest cross streets. I knew if I had to call 911 I would need it. Of course, I did not remember to bring it with me every night when we went upstairs to bed, so it's not like I'm perfect. I think not knowing an address is far easier than we might think. I bet it happens a lot on 911 calls.

At least, the worker DID have the address written down in her car, so good for her. She probably would have found it sooner if the 911 guy hadn't been asking her so many questions. That should have been a priority.

Not to go to far off topic here, but I have kicked in a door to rescue a stray cat.

And don't regret it. The cat was saved. I don't understand humans who won't do the same for other humans.

And by that I mean, the nasty 911 person who wasted nearly 7 minutes being a snide SOB.

Bless you for that. From one animal welfare person to another.
Self-preservation is instinctive though and not easy to overcome except when trained for it..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back