CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like maybe a really good Honda mechanic might be able to figure out when 'events' occurred- including w/the GPS. Main PCM and all that. Hmm. I wonder where they get the oil changed. Also, I wonder who owns the right to the data.
Is it Honda? Or the owner? or is/was the Ridgeline leased?

It is funny you mentioned leased-because I was truly curious about the possible turn over of the truck after Bob disappeared. You know that PPD had to have searched the truck. That is a given.

It is funny you mentioned leased-because I was truly curious about the possible turn over of the truck after Bob disappeared. You know that PPD had to have searched the truck. That is a given.

I know they likely searched it forensically. But did they run black box diagnostics on it at the time?
I keep thinking about this coworker that I have (different vehicle type but same idea as a ridgeline) who backed his truck down a boat landing to put in a boat, revved the engine, the truck slipped on some very mossy concrete, and subsequently shorted out his electrical system when he then overestimated and got water in the back.
Long story short, his insurance co needed 'proof' that it was an accident in order to pay for the repairs. So they checked. It was indeed an accident- but they checked.

Rambling here now, but thought I'd spit it out there.

I know they likely searched it forensically. But did they run black box diagnostics on it at the time?
I keep thinking about this coworker that I have (different vehicle type but same idea as a ridgeline) who backed his truck down a boat landing to put in a boat, revved the engine, the truck slipped on some very mossy concrete, and subsequently shorted out his electrical system when he then overestimated and got water in the back.
Long story short, his insurance co needed 'proof' that it was an accident in order to pay for the repairs. So they checked. It was indeed an accident- but they checked.

Rambling here now, but thought I'd spit it out there.

Actually, I remember this concept from the Gail Nowacki thread. Does the information expire or is it captured permanently?

Actually, I remember this concept from the Gail Nowacki thread. Does the information expire or is it captured permanently?

Yes, it frustrated me to no end on Gail's thread. :(

It's captured permanently. We're not talking about a portable GPS system here. We're talking about the vehicles 'memory.' It can be rewrited but it's still written under the layers of rewriting. Like a DVD vs an R-DVD. Kwim? That might be a bad analogy, but basically when you re-boot or update your system...the original data remains it just gets buried a bit deeper.

I once shared a cab from the airport with a guy headed to an advanced mechanics seminar. We got stuck in traffic and I have to tell you- while he was probably bored out of his mind and really irritated- I was fascinated at what he could tell me about vehicles, their electrical systems, their black boxes, etc. Truly- a wealth of information.

Apparently driving a car these days is like surfing the web. You leave a footprint everywhere you go, and it just takes the right tools to trace back where you were, when. Fascinating stuff. I remember thinking at the time that we need more mechanics on WS. ;)

So the PPD would need to subpoena the GPS records? Forgive me if I am a bit slow. I guess it depends if it is Onstar or something like Garmin? I would give my last week of vacation to know where that truck went that day!

Interesting. It looks like JuM has removed some of her postings on the thread. JuM seems to be sending disturbing PM's to posters as well.

Does that surprise anyone? :lol: JuM rambles on, attacks on open forums, and then via pm, and then blames some chocolate or some life changing/threatening illness. I wonder who will be coming down with a flare up of MRSA soon? Or have some health crisis needing a trip dth for hospitalization....or a crisis with one of the fur babies.... happens like clockwork with JuM. :rolleyes: :floorlaugh:

So the PPD would need to subpoena the GPS records? Forgive me if I am a bit slow. I guess it depends if it is Onstar or something like Garmin? I would give my last week of vacation to know where that truck went that day!

I think it depends a lot on who owns the 'rights' to the actual data contained on the vehicle. That's kind of why I was wondering if the ridgeline was owned or was leased or whatever. Because if it was leased at the time Bob disappeared, then it seems like the leasing co would have the ability to subpoena data if given enough info. If it was owned by a bank (jeez- could the bank of Mr. Harrod have owned it??) then that would be who would be able to get the records. I think, anyway.

I am going to do a little more research on this.

(btw, you are not one bit slow, suzyq. :) )

ETA: should have added, the manufacturer of the vehicle and the manufacturer of the nav system. Thanks for pointing that out.
I am really gonna do some looking into this.

I think it depends a lot on who owns the 'rights' to the actual data contained on the vehicle. That's kind of why I was wondering if the ridgeline was owned or was leased or whatever. Because if it was leased at the time Bob disappeared, then it seems like the leasing co would have the ability to subpoena data if given enough info. If it was owned by a bank (jeez- could the bank of Mr. Harrod have owned it??) then that would be who would be able to get the records. I think, anyway.

I am going to do a little more research on this.

(btw, you are not one bit slow, suzyq. :) )

ETA: should have added, the manufacturer of the vehicle and the manufacturer of the nav system. Thanks for pointing that out.
I am really gonna do some looking into this.

:bow:

Interesting. It looks like JuM has removed some of her postings on the thread. JuM seems to be sending disturbing PM's to posters as well.

FYI, I replaced poster's username JuM referred to and a curse word with [*advertiser censored*]. JuM's PM was described as "one of the creepiest PM's I have ever recieved."

I am going to say this once and I am out of here. When there was a body found at the base of the 330, [*advertiser censored*] you made the worst remark to me, I have not gotten past it. You suggested that it could be my dad, my father who has been missing for three (3) years. That comment was snide, hurtful and crushing. My dad lives in Orange County and had no possible way to get to the base of our mountain. There, I have said it, there it is. I have no life as I have been in a frozen state of heartache, this is my escape. I would trade places with you any day. You have no idea how your remark put me in a tailspin, and it did. I have no trust to go anywhere anymore. Again, I know you are speaking of me, if you want to go on, say it to my face, I dare you. I am done, I am going to do what I can to keep my mind active as I can no longer enjoy many physical activities as you are blessed to enjoy. I am not an [*advertiser censored*] kisser either, I just want some interaction, even if it is silly chatter. There you go, digest that and enjoy your life I wish I could enjoy life but without closure I cannot.

Carry on, I had to get that off my chest, I feel much better for it. And I do wish you all the best life has to offer I really do, I am no longer angry. I have vented and needed to do that for quite some time.

JuM posted of navigation problems starting approx 5 years ago, so about 2007. They might have the 2006 or 2007 model (premium RTL trim) with a built-in navigation system.

The Honda Ridgeline is a mid to full size sport utility truck produced by the Japanese automaker Honda. The Ridgeline was released in March 2005 as a 2006 model and is Honda's intended first foray into the North American pickup truck market. Until 2009, the Ridgeline was built in Alliston, Ontario, Canada alongside the Acura MDX, Honda Civic, Honda Civic Si, and Acura CSX. The Ridgeline was awarded Motor Trend's Truck of the Year for 2006. The Ridgeline is based on the Acura MDX platform, alongside the Honda Pilot. The Ridgeline was shown in concept form as the Honda SUT in 2004.

[snipped]

Another advantage of the independent suspension is that it opened up enough space for Honda to create the first pickup truck to include a storage trunk below the bed, which can be locked to secure contents such as a tool chest. Doing a flat tire repair will become difficult if you are hauling contents inside the bed since the spare is tucked inside the trunk. The bed comes standard with a composite liner that resists dents, corrosion, and can easily be hosed clean. The trunk has drainage holes to allow wash water to flow out.

[snipped]

Four trim levels are available: basic RT, RTX, RTS, and premium RTL (with optional sunroof or moonroof and GPS Navigation).

2006 Honda Ridgeline Navigation System – Parts:
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/electrical_exhaust_heater_fuel/b__1120~2006~honda~ridgeline~4dr_rtl_sunroof_navi~5at~ka~navigation~system.html

The bed comes standard with a composite liner that resists dents, corrosion, and can easily be hosed clean. The trunk has drainage holes to allow wash water to flow out.

Now I find that VERY interesting!! Thanks, Cloud!

Yep. Thanks, cloudajo!
Talk about social media being useful... the car forums are fascinating, and I wonder who we can track down there??
My goal today is to find the exact model from a willing participant and get it to a Honda mechanic, so we can find out what kind of info might still be available on their vehicle(s). The suspension is my focus right now.

And what do you bet the Ridgeline isn't the only one with some interesting data on it?

From JuM ROTW Post-
You have no idea how your remark put me in a tailspin, and it did. I have no trust to go anywhere anymore.

I think on any given day you could find a long list of errands and luncheons and everyday pleasures that Jules enjoys. I see, it is all a stranger's fault for wanting to contribute to a thread which might solve her father's disappearance. Got it.

FYI, I replaced poster's username JuM referred to and a curse word with [*advertiser censored*]. JuM's PM was described as "one of the creepiest PM's I have ever recieved."

I am going to say this once and I am out of here. When there was a body found at the base of the 330, [*advertiser censored*] you made the worst remark to me, I have not gotten past it. You suggested that it could be my dad, my father who has been missing for three (3) years. That comment was snide, hurtful and crushing. My dad lives in Orange County and had no possible way to get to the base of our mountain. There, I have said it, there it is. I have no life as I have been in a frozen state of heartache, this is my escape. I would trade places with you any day. You have no idea how your remark put me in a tailspin, and it did. I have no trust to go anywhere anymore. Again, I know you are speaking of me, if you want to go on, say it to my face, I dare you. I am done, I am going to do what I can to keep my mind active as I can no longer enjoy many physical activities as you are blessed to enjoy. I am not an [*advertiser censored*] kisser either, I just want some interaction, even if it is silly chatter. There you go, digest that and enjoy your life I wish I could enjoy life but without closure I cannot.

Carry on, I had to get that off my chest, I feel much better for it. And I do wish you all the best life has to offer I really do, I am no longer angry. I have vented and needed to do that for quite some time.

And because neither she or her sisters will ask her husband the important questions about what occured the morning of Bob's disappearance, closure will not occur. At least not for the time being.....

No poster on any forum is responsible for JuM's tailspin and she knows it.

Someone knows what happened and exactly where Bob is located. Where is Bob?

Yep. Thanks, cloudajo!
Talk about social media being useful... the car forums are fascinating, and I wonder who we can track down there??
My goal today is to find the exact model from a willing participant and get it to a Honda mechanic, so we can find out what kind of info might still be available on their vehicle(s). The suspension is my focus right now.

And what do you bet the Ridgeline isn't the only one with some interesting data on it?

Thank you! Glad to know the Ridgeline angle is being looked at again.

I'm planning on printing some of the available info regarding possible mortgage fraud and getting that off to those parties who might be interested. Particularly underwriting/ceo's etc. if they are selling their mortgages to the secondary market. Most mortgage companies who fund loans sell them. They should be aware of the omissions etc...

I'm planning on printing some of the available info regarding possible mortgage fraud and getting that off to those parties who might be interested. Particularly underwriting/ceo's etc. if they are selling their mortgages to the secondary market. Most mortgage companies who fund loans sell them. They should be aware of the omissions etc...

Thank you Cubby!!!

Thank you Cubby!
So I went to find out more about the Ridgeline today from a Honda mechanic (who knew being in Nascar country would ever come in so handy?? they have some seriously smart mechanics- thank you Randy!) and it is amazing what they can get off of a vehicle. He ran me through the diagnostics and what they would do if there was a question from an insurance co or LE etc.

There in an incredible amount of information retained (think Nascar- they work toward optimum race performance, so they need their vehicles to 'know' exactly what happened- either in an accident, or just every split second of a race, so they can improve.)
Some really, really interesting stuff. Next I guess we have to figure out who owns the rights to that data on the vehicle(s) that may have been involved in Mr. Harrod's disappearance.

Could the grandson have changed his name to his grandfather's to finagle a loan with grandpa's credit?

From JuM ROTW Post-

I think on any given day you could find a long list of errands and luncheons and everyday pleasures that Jules enjoys. I see, it is all a stranger's fault for wanting to contribute to a thread which might solve her father's disappearance. Got it.

Agree.

I have no life as I have been in a frozen state of heartache

I have no trust to go anywhere anymore.

And yet, here are the things she’s been doing lately per her own posts:
  • Softball game
    [*]Farmer’s market
    [*]Had an impromptu neighborhood gathering of the man cave, hiccup
    [*]Adopted a dog
    [*]Worked in the yard
    [*]Created a report to track weight losses for herself and others (printed it in word, scanned it to a jpeg, imported it to photobucket.com, copied the link and put it here. Whew!)
    [*]Averaging 27 posts per day on her community forum
    [*]“I am doing great, so no complaints here.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members