BSL - Evidentiary Hearing, Friday, Aug 17, 2012, 10:00 A.M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbWzlfdmbUQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbWzlfdmbUQ[/ame]In light of what we know now, this song just makes me think of Mighty Mick! Every time I've heard it since yesterday... I have cried!

Bless her ♥ RIP sweet girl!

He will wake up this morning in Angola. I hope the sounds, and sights and smells are horrific. I know its doubtful he has emotions like normal people, but my hope is in his love of himself fear can creep in.

A tiny little blond on a bike at 2 am looked like such a good easy target for a monster. And you thought Lisa was disposable when you were done with her. You could never have been more wrong, enjoy your new life.

I've read pretty much every post on this thread and have not seen anything about the friend he called in NOLA. Is he not considered an accomplice even though he supposedly knew what happened and helped BSL out?

Mighty Mick fought to the end. I'm hoping that out of this horrible situation, young girls are encouraged to conceal carry a weapon (even if it's just hairspray in a mini can to spray in a perps eyes) as it's better to be safe than sorry.

I have young nieces and I drill it into them at all times what to do if a man or woman tries to snatch them. My family think I'm paranoid but I think its a precaution that many families don't take as it's a taboo subject to admit stuff like this happens in our world. :(

OK I have a story about pepper spray.( not a freak)....it is very very effective on private parts. Fiance bought me some. I didn't know how to spray it or if it was a mist or stream or what....so we sprayed it at an exterior wall of the house. Then I touched to see if it was like oily or watery. I washed my hands not wanting it to get on the kids or anything. I washed them well. Hours upon hours later.....and we still figured out on accident

I promise you he felt some discomfort....and in a certain situation might be slightly more effective than spraying it in eyes.

fairest of them all...gurl, you crack me up! Had to log on this am to specifically thank you for starting my day with a smile!

Yes, beautiful article, and a wonderful pic of the whole family.

Yes, a very beautiful article, Curious Me..
Reflecting back to that tragic Saturday in May. Who could have foreseen the tremendous outpouring of love, community response, and support from near & far?
Mickey & the Shunick family has taught us all a few lessons..

from the article-
We all came together for one cause….To Bring Mickey Home. In her most difficult of times, Mickey showed us that we truly are all one.

Mickey also proved that in the toughest of times you have to fight. Mickey did not let the stronger evil prevail without a fight. This little solider fought to the end. Her heart gave all that it could, and for that we are grateful. Mickey has taught us that you never give up!!! You fight to the end!!

I think Mickey has also taught us that evil does exist around every corner. Never did we expect such evil to exist right here in Acadiana. We live in a part of the world where we sometimes trust everyone, and assume that everyone has good intentions. Mickey has proved to all of us that we can never let our guard down. This little angel has proven we all need to protect ourselves from evil, and with Mickey in heaven now, we can all rest assure that a guardian angel is indeed above all of us.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xF4UZppqbo&feature=g-vrec"]CALLING ALL ANGELS - (PAY IT FW's song) All Vocals by María Bozzini - YouTube[/ame]

OK I have a story about pepper spray.( not a freak)....it is very very effective on private parts. Fiance bought me some. I didn't know how to spray it or if it was a mist or stream or what....so we sprayed it at an exterior wall of the house. Then I touched to see if it was like oily or watery. I washed my hands not wanting it to get on the kids or anything. I washed them well. Hours upon hours later.....and we still figured out on accident

I promise you he felt some discomfort....and in a certain situation might be slightly more effective than spraying it in eyes.

I have been wondering for awhile about pepper spray and whether some people are immune. Doing some checking on the web just now, I find lots of anecdotal evidence that some people are. That bothers me, knowing that pepper spray seems to have become the #1 self-defense weapon of women in America. To me, that's like carrying a revolver with an empty chamber.

What triggered these thoughts is my own experience with chile pequin peppers. We've been growing them in my mom's family for over 100 years, since the originals were brought from Mexico by my great-grandfather. We use them to spice up things like white beans, and make hot sauce out of them. My mom's family will throw six of them in a big pot of white beans, and then try to keep track of the free-floating peppers, and warn guests to be careful that there may be a pepper in their food.

I always laugh and say, "why don't y'all put them in a tea ball?" But my mom's family are stubborn like mules (so is my dad's - go figure) and so at family gatherings I call it "B******* Bingo" (B****** being her maiden name). You hear someone suddenly start hollering, and I announce really loud, "well now there's FIVE peppers left in the pot."

Those things are HOT. One time my Paw Paw ran out of crab boil for a big party and so he decided to throw a bunch of peppers in the pot - and then had to throw all the crabs out!!!

When I pick them I have to THOROUGHLY wash my hands. When one handles them at all, one has to THOROUGHLY wash, and under no circumstances touch one's face, eyes, or anything else, due to the resulting pain.

One time I brought some to a friend's house and his son had some young friends over. One kid bragged how he could eat any pepper, and to bring him the bag. I tried to reason with him but he wouldn't listen and chewed up one-half a pepper - then started almost crying and scrubbing his tongue, and was in intense pain for 30 minutes and couldn't even eat his dinner.

All this is to set up that yes, pepper spray works. But now explain to me my one cousin who can throw them in her mouth and eat them like jellybeans. Explain the Mexican cousin who laughed at us when we told him to be careful, and ate 12 in a row without even breaking a sweat.

I have to conclude that some people are immune. I don't know what percentage, and I don't know the mechanism, but I know that this is true.

It makes me wonder what percentage we're dealing with, and whether pepper-spray manufacturers can study this and somehow alter the formula to defeat the immunity. A revolver with an empty chamber can put one in a lot of danger. I'm not saying that BSL is immune, but I wonder about degrees of immunity. If she got him good, especially while driving, why didn't he crash and/or have to pull over? No way to know. But this makes me wonder if there's anything more effective.

Crimson Clover, i can only imagine. My gut hurts and I wasn't even there. Mrs. Shunick is such an inspiration to all mothers. I am a mother and I am in awe of her poise, even at this most difficult time. So strong, no doubt Mickey inherited her strong will and courage to fight from her. My heart goes out to the Shunicks, and I pray they find peace some way after this horrible tragedy. Mickey will never be forgotten. RIP Mighty Mickey!
The 'front family rows' aren't for the defendant's family.

I asked, being the old woman who wanted to be as close as possible...not realizing the nausea-inducing events to follow. When I tried, being the intense Nola GRITS that I am, a deputy said 'no m'am, that's the side of the room the defendant & his lawyers will sit on. We keep it empty so that no one can get to him.'

I retreated & sat next to the deputy. After we introduced ourselves to each other, he said 'no, for this trial, I'd never let a local woman that close, especially you. You're from Nola, for all I know, you might be carrying a voodoo doll & some rooster feathers.'

Hard not to laugh. I doubt his family would have shown anyway, given the emotional climate. So that's what the rows were for, to keep us from getting to him & ripping his eyeballs out. If you think I'm bad, you should have heard some of the court personnel in front of me. The artist was in front of them, & it was amazing to watch him work.

Donamena, do you think you would have sensed evil from him had you encountered him elsewhere or is it just because you knew what he had done?

a few who knew him have said that something was "off" or didn't "sit right" about him, but I wonder if I could have sensed the evil within him.
I think that's just in hindsight. He doesn't appear, from just that hour, to have much visible in him to make a lasting impression on someone my age. The evil that I encountered in the early 1980s was palpable..before I even knew who or what that 'thing' was.

BSL had no persona, just a void, a vacant stare, a tilted head, a slouched body, a mumbling deep voice. I think I just projected intensity on to something, while evil, did not have 'presence' I'm not sure how else to say it.

I asked, being the old woman who wanted to be as close as possible...not realizing the nausea-inducing events to follow. When I tried, being the intense Nola GRITS that I am, a deputy said 'no m'am, that's the side of the room the defendant & his lawyers will sit on. We keep it empty so that no one can get to him.'

I retreated & sat next to the deputy. After we introduced ourselves to each other, he said 'no, for this trial, I'd never let a local woman that close, especially you. You're from Nola, for all I know, you might be carrying a voodoo doll & some rooster feathers.'

Hard not to laugh. I doubt his family would have shown anyway, given the emotional climate. So that's what the rows were for, to keep us from getting to him & ripping his eyeballs out. If you think I'm bad, you should have heard some of the court personnel in front of me. The artist was in front of them, & it was amazing to watch him work.

RE: You're from Nola, for all I know, you might be carrying a voodoo doll & some rooster feathers..

Donamena, so, do you plan to use the voodoo doll & rooster feathers at BSL's next evidentiary hearing? Ya may want to leave out the info about being from Nola, in your introduction.. lol

Seriously, the feedback from you & others that attended the hearing yesterday provided tremendous insight to those that couldn't or chose not to attend. Attendees should be saluted, as I am sure that it was a very emotional & traumatic experience to endure. Thank you..

I have been wondering for awhile about pepper spray and whether some people are immune. Doing some checking on the web just now, I find lots of anecdotal evidence that some people are. That bothers me, knowing that pepper spray seems to have become the #1 self-defense weapon of women in America. To me, that's like carrying a revolver with an empty chamber.

What triggered these thoughts is my own experience with chile pequin peppers. We've been growing them in my mom's family for over 100 years, since the originals were brought from Mexico by my great-grandfather. We use them to spice up things like white beans, and make hot sauce out of them. My mom's family will throw six of them in a big pot of white beans, and then try to keep track of the free-floating peppers, and warn guests to be careful that there may be a pepper in their food.

I always laugh and say, "why don't y'all put them in a tea ball?" But my mom's family are stubborn like mules (so is my dad's - go figure) and so at family gatherings I call it "B******* Bingo" (B****** being her maiden name). You hear someone suddenly start hollering, and I announce really loud, "well now there's FIVE peppers left in the pot."

Those things are HOT. One time my Paw Paw ran out of crab boil for a big party and so he decided to throw a bunch of peppers in the pot - and then had to throw all the crabs out!!!

When I pick them I have to THOROUGHLY wash my hands. When one handles them at all, one has to THOROUGHLY wash, and under no circumstances touch one's face, eyes, or anything else, due to the resulting pain.

One time I brought some to a friend's house and his son had some young friends over. One kid bragged how he could eat any pepper, and to bring him the bag. I tried to reason with him but he wouldn't listen and chewed up one-half a pepper - then started almost crying and scrubbing his tongue, and was in intense pain for 30 minutes and couldn't even eat his dinner.

All this is to set up that yes, pepper spray works. But now explain to me my one cousin who can throw them in her mouth and eat them like jellybeans. Explain the Mexican cousin who laughed at us when we told him to be careful, and ate 12 in a row without even breaking a sweat.

I have to conclude that some people are immune. I don't know what percentage, and I don't know the mechanism, but I know that this is true.

It makes me wonder what percentage we're dealing with, and whether pepper-spray manufacturers can study this and somehow alter the formula to defeat the immunity. A revolver with an empty chamber can put one in a lot of danger. I'm not saying that BSL is immune, but I wonder about degrees of immunity. If she got him good, especially while driving, why didn't he crash and/or have to pull over? No way to know. But this makes me wonder if there's anything more effective.

Bear repellent?

I know a guy that was in the marines... they used some spray on them. He could not even finish telling me about it without puking!!

...... he never finished the story!

Women need that stuff!

(it was some special combat tactical crap.... not your typical tear gas test!)

No, Fox, I don't do that. I was taught to know, but not to do. To put evil out in the universe, no matter how well intended towards a perpetrator who appears to deserve it, only invites evil back to you. That being said, I always light candles...that come from a special church in Nola.

426678_455421184491446_1635488657_n.jpg
Whodat, that was a fabulous pic!! Where was it from??

As I read about Mickey getting shot and proceeded to gasp, yell and cover my mouth with my hand, I first thought poor Mickey!

About 30 secs later, I thought omg... poor Dona!

I'm sure that was quite a shock! Thanks for taking one for the team!!!!!

Good morrning, folks. :seeya:

Donamena, were you wearing your long strand chicken feet necklace? :giggle:

Chicken Fried, your story reminded me of my father and his pepper plants, those little red and yellow peppers. Super hot. You're right, not everyone has the same reaction. My sister was terribly sensitive to them. My brother and I, not so much.

Everything that went down today was a tragedy for all. Unfoutunately BSL will not go directly to general population. He will be in somewhat protective custody until they decide what unit he will be placed in. (hoping he goes to camp J). Back to my original question - where, when and by whom did he acquire the gun???? My father was a P&P officer so I know all about possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. That in and of itself is grounds for revocation! He had help and no one can convince me otherwise. Gun shops and pawn shops are way too careful who they sell to - cause they know it's there behinds and loss of their business if they screw up.

But anyone can go into a gun and knife show and buy a mess of guns and bypass the background check and waiting period.

Lucky us, in Shreveport it seems we have one of those shows every few weeks. In facts there's one this weekend!

CF, there has been hundreds, if not thousands of studies of the effectiveness of Mace/Pepper Spray for decades now. Although it has been improved over the years, imo, the results can vary from excellent to poor. As in Mickey's case, it allowed her to disarm BSL, but did not totally disable him. Many times it only angers the predator/violator.

Imo, something as simple as a loud pitched whistle on your key chain, combined with awareness is better than the false sense of security that pepper spray provides.

With the upgrades and affordability of tazers, as well as the likeness to cell phones. Tazers provide the most effective means of protection, imo.

http://www.smartstun.com/

RIP Mickey. :(

What angers me and also saddens me most is that tiny little Mickey actually stood a chance against a sick twice her size. And he had a knife.

But she didn't stand a chance against his gun against her head. Wasn't BSL already a convicted felon? WTF??? Of course, down here, everybody is packing and I'm sick of hearing that guns don't kill people!!! They damn well DO! Every single day.

Mickey fought back and MAY have escaped but for that gun. I am SEETHING.

I'm going to leave it at that so I don't get a vacation.

As a convicted felon, BSL could not LEGALLY own a gun. I fail to see how any other gun control law would have kept him from having one. Not like he is a law-abiding citizen, is it? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021